Direct purchase checklist

PharmDis

Earning My Ears
Thank you to everyone in this community over the last few days! I've learned so much as I prepare to direct purchase at Disneyland Hotel. We're buying 200 points. I'm getting a new CC to pay for the purchase in full but get some travel points in the process.

I plan to let my guide know:
1. Split contract: 150 pts and 50 pts
2. Welcome home credit $1000
3. Referral credit $500
4. Spread payment over 60-90 days if able

Am I missing anything I should do before the purchase?

If I were buying direct, I would think about buying as an LLC or a trust, especially if I didn't live in CA. DVC has completely different Blue Card scenarios for purchasing as a non-person, and these things are handled very differently in probate. This is something to consider and requires local legal advice. If you have an estate lawyer, maybe worth running by them.

There are more than a few nightmare probate stories on these boards. It's a lot to have to open probate and hire a lawyer in another state over a timeshare.

Thank you to everyone in this community over the last few days! I've learned so much as I prepare to direct purchase at Disneyland Hotel. We're buying 200 points. I'm getting a new CC to pay for the purchase in full but get some travel points in the process.

3. Referral credit $500

Sign the paper work,
Have a drink
Plan a vacation and enjoy your new purchase

Would be about all I got

Isn’t the Welcome Home $1,000 credit for showing you already have an upcoming stay on the books?

As a new member you can also get:

Disneyland Hotel New Member Incentives Introduced​

DVC has now released the first round of new member direct sales incentives for Disneyland Hotel. These offers also provide the opportunity for free points, as well as additional developer credit savings for first-time members:

When You Purchase…Free PointsAdditional Savings
150 to 199 Vacation Points5 Vacation Points$1,000
200 to 249 Vacation Points10 Vacation Points$350
Savings expire September 11th, 2023

I’m not that familiar with VDH incentives but it might be worth double checking with your guide to run through current applicable offers.

WELCOME HOME ::MickeyMo Here’s to 50 years of fun fun fun!

Are you doing Magical Beginnings?
Are you waiving title insurance?

Not advocating for either, just mentioning them as things to consider.

With VDH just opening, it would be tough for me to give up my 2023 points right out of the gate. It makes a lot of sense for VGF and RIV where you can sell back the 2022 points. You'll see people supporting both sides of getting title insurance.

Congratulations!

Thank you everyone! We're doing magical beginnings just b/c it helps bring down the out of the gate costs for us. I could see why someone wouldn't want to do that though.

@Genie+ We did get the promotion you mentioned in the table there (10 points, extra $350 off).

Our guide did say there is not a welcome home credit of $1,000 for the Disneyland hotel - just for the properties in Florida. We have a stay on the books already so was hoping to get the $1000, but she said it doesn't work at VDH.

Was anyone successful in getting the welcome home promotion at VDH?

Our guide did say there is not a welcome home credit of $1,000 for the Disneyland hotel - just for the properties in Florida.
Yeah now that I think about it, others have mentioned the same for VDH.

Are you waiting to start the paperwork so you can straddle the summer incentives with whatever they change it to on Sept 11th? That could work out well for VDH, especially if you’re in no hurry to book asap. While VGF might not have better incentives come Sept 11th, VDH has a good chance.

3. Referral credit $500

I don't have anything to add to the list, but one point about the new CC for the purchase. This is probably 40k+ so if you really want the 90 day payment period and aren't afraid to open some CCs you can hit a LOT of bonuses, especially if you have others listed on the contract(s) and can refer them. The potential point value could easily make up for no Welcome Home credit.

For the Disney Visa 0% 6 months benefit, does anyone recall if there's a minimum purchase to make it work? Curious if we did a direct add-on with a small amount of points like 50 or even 25, would that qualify?

Congratulations! We purchased 200 points earlier this year, and split the contract into 150 and 50 points. We weren’t able to get the Welcome Home credit. We did ask about taking out the title insurance, but our guide didn’t recommend it in case something happened later on - I think it would have saved $150 x 2.

We opened new credit cards to take advantage of additional travel points and spread the payments out over 90 days.

Congratulations! We purchased 200 points earlier this year, and split the contract into 150 and 50 points. We weren’t able to get the Welcome Home credit. We did ask about taking out the title insurance, but our guide didn’t recommend it in case something happened later on - I think it would have saved $150 x 2.

We opened new credit cards to take advantage of additional travel points and spread the payments out over 90 days.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I haven’t yet come across others mentioning not getting the Welcome Home credit so it’s good to hear another data point.
*virtual high five* fellow VDH buddy!

I don't have anything to add to the list, but one point about the new CC for the purchase. This is probably 40k+ so if you really want the 90 day payment period and aren't afraid to open some CCs you can hit a LOT of bonuses, especially if you have others listed on the contract(s) and can refer them. The potential point value could easily make up for no Welcome Home credit.
I see many CC openings in my near future!

Yeah now that I think about it, others have mentioned the same for VDH.

Are you waiting to start the paperwork so you can straddle the summer incentives with whatever they change it to on Sept 11th? That could work out well for VDH, especially if you’re in no hurry to book asap. While VGF might not have better incentives come Sept 11th, VDH has a good chance.
You got it! We’re in no hurry to book. We have the paperwork, paid the deposit, but won’t be signing anything for a bit!

For the Disney Visa 0% 6 months benefit, does anyone recall if there's a minimum purchase to make it work? Curious if we did a direct add-on with a small amount of points like 50 or even 25, would that qualify?
Don't believe there's a minimum dollar amount, just has to be paid via the Disney Visa card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter