Direct Sun/Heat Issues in December?

BeccaGrace

Reads Disney Menus When She's Sad
We are going to WDW the first week of December and while it's one of the cooler times of years by FL standards I've seen people post of days in the 80s and some summer-like weather (definitely by NJ standards!)...My DD2 is on medication that affects her ability to sweat and her neurologist said most scenarios were fine except for the beach since there is nowhere to cool off.

Has anyone gone to Disney with sun/heat sensitivity issues? We'll be keeping her really hydrated, and she'll have on her hat & we're going to get a stroller with a shade. I think my biggest concern will be lines where she can't be in her stroller--We're going during a slower time of year but what kind of lines should we be expecting? What are some ways to stay cool in line? Are there any rides that are likely to have long, outdoor lines that we should save for early morning/evening?

Also, I know there are baby care areas in the park (at least I know MK has one)--Would I be able to bring her there to cool down if need be? Where are some good shady areas to keep in mind. Which is the worst park for sun issues (that might be best reserved for a cooler day or at non-peak hours?)

Aren't I full of questions!?!?! Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I know the trip is many months away but I figured I'd get a double benefit since we are new to this issue and heading into the warm weather months--hoping to get some tips for that could be used for non-Disney travel and activities as well.
Thank you!

First week in December shouldn't be too bad for crowds. As far as weather, it's hard to answer that. Florida weather is highly unpredictable. In the middle of winter even, there can be a day that's 85 and 63 the next day. The humidity though is much lower, so people don't get sweated up as much even if the temperature is high. One thing to keep in mind though, that the sun will still burn you even if it's cold, as one has nothing to do with the other. The weather channel has a place where you can find out the UV index.

Animal Kingdom is probably the worst of all the parks when it comes to heat, because they have very few shops and indoor exhibits and even though the shade trees have finally grown over, it is still pretty sunny throughout the whole place. EPCOT would be the next in my opinion, followed by D-MGM and then MK being the shadiest. If you plan to go to a water park, if it's warm enough, not sure if Typhoon Lagoon is open in December, as I know one of them takes their break there, but Blizzard Beach can be murder on a hot day with very little shade.

In EPCOT, a great place to duck into and get a drink is Ice Station Cool, by Coke. You can get free Coke products from various countries to drink and really cool off. The walk way into even has real snow (well manufactured real snow) and is frosty cold.

In MK, there are many places. You can weave your way through the stores on Main Street rather than walking in the heat. The hottest place there is probably Fantasyland and Tomorrowland that have very little shade. Cosmic Rays in Tomorrowland is a good cool spot, as is Pinocchio's Village Haus. Frontierland and Liberty Square are more shaded and a great place to sit and relax. If you do the parade, you might want to find a spot there rather than on Main Street where it can be hot sitting on the sidewalk. Adventureland has a few shady spots. A good place to cool down there is the exit to Pirates of the Caribbean has some little hideaways with a fountain and all.

In Disney-MGM, Hollywood and Sunset Boulevard has shops that like Main Street can go all the way down almost to avoid a good part of the walk. Back near Star Tours is some shady areas, as well as a large outdoor, but covered restaurant next to Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area. There are a lot of duck in shops and restaurants to cool off.

Animal Kingdom is the clincher. All I can say there is try to hit a cooler day on your trip if you can. Make sure you have protection from the sun if possible. A lot of the lines are outside there for the shows and it's extensive walking in sunlit open areas.

I think you should look at getting a GAC Guest Assistance Card. If you check the FAQs here on the disAbility board it explains it. But your DD situation is one the GAC would help. You would explain she can not wait in line due to heat sensitivity issues. You would be able to wait in a shaded area. Also you should fast pass when you can. The baby care areas are great. Also the indoor shows are airconditioned so you could plan on doing the shows during the heat of the day. The mister fans might help. At MK you can walk through the stores from one end of main street to the other to stay out of the sun.
I know you will be aware of which direction the sun is shining but I saw so many babies in strollers but they were facing the sun so the stroller shade did nothing! My DDIL had a small umbrella the attached to the front of the stroller which blocked the sun. If I think of anything else I'll repost. Have a great trip.

Thank you so much for responding--I appreciate it. I didn't realize she would be eligible for GAC..Thanks again!

I have heat sensitivity issues related to chronic asthma. I'm happy to report that it simply doesn't get that warm in December, it's very pleasant. I wouldn't worry about it. Even if it gtes to the low 80's, because there's no humidity that time of the year it generally feels cooler.

You could duck into the babycare places, but they really aren't taht big. A better choice might be first aid, where they can truly assist you if needed.

I use a GAC in the summer months, but have never needed one in December--I don't even bother to ask for one. :)

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter