Dis Breast Cancer Survivors Part IV - GAGWTA

ZellyB and Grace&Carolinesmom, happy to about your progress.

I had a little set back I wasn't emotionally prepared for. Memorial weekend, the Sunday into Monday I had some severe stomach pains. Around 2am I have the genius idea to have a glass of milk to see if that would settle my stomach. Well it had the opposite effect and I vomited almost instantly- several times over. I slept a lot of Monday and felt best laying down curled up. Could have been a 24 hour bug, could have been that I over did it the week before with too many activities and running around. I don’t know. I physically felt better on Tuesday but Wednesday morning when I went to treatment my WBC was down and I couldn't have treatment. I was super upset, cried a lot in the office. I just really want to keep on track and be done, and this was the first of such occupancies I was trying to figure out what I did wrong that week. But anyway, doctor and nurses reassured me these things happen as the chemo kills the bad and good cells. So with that I got a shot, zometa I think, and went back Thursday for another. I didn't feel achy from either but I did take the Claritin for a few days just in case. Was able to go again today for labs and my numbers were back up so I got treatment #9... 3 more to go. Hopefully no more setbacks and I'll be done on the 27th. I then have a mammogram and ultrasound on June 30 and I see the surgeon again on July 8th.
You are on the home stretch! :goodvibes I know how upsetting it feels to get off track a bit when you just want to get on with it. I’m sorry you felt so lousy - and hope you’ll still enjoy milk later on! Hang in, you’re doing great! :grouphug:

Screenshot_20220627-174557_Chrome.jpg

Finished treatments today 🥳!! Phew, so happy to be done. I was thinking I would at least stand near the bell for a picture but come to find out they don't have one in the office. I get it, like mentioned here before it's probably uncomfortable for those still going through treatment. I wasn't going to ring it but either way the last session was rather anticlimactic

ResizedP_b1bb67bf-8423-4d20-918b-d46e98ce39cf_752470266230192.gif

My fingernails have taken a beating the last few weeks which besides being pretty ugly hasn't effected me much. Also gets me out of doing dishes 😅.

I saw the doctor before infusion and we talked about the port. She says I can get it out when I have the double mastectomy in July. This was such good news to hear 🙌. Next up is an MRI next week to check on whatever that little blob in my pancreas is to make sure it hasn't done anything funky (maybe it even went away with the chemo 🤷‍♀️), and a mammogram and ultrasound for what I'm not really sure but probably just to see if there were any changes. If all goes well I'll be "a go" for surgery at the end of the month. I'm certainly pretty nervous about that and recovery. I do tend to recovery quickly so I'm sure I'll be fine with this... it's more thinking about the physical changes that'll take some time getting used to. Speaking of physical changes my head is like a chia pet 😆 I already have about 1/4 inch of regrowth going on up there. My kids say it's coming in white but I say it's platinum blonde lol.

Busy next 2 weeks with appointments and getting ready for the cruise. Kids still don't know about it- going to surprise them the day of. I enjoy surprising them and letting them try to figure it out along the way there. I've got another surprise for October- or November- I booked Disney for Halloween but I might change to Thanksgiving. Disney was calling to me so I went with it but it's not set in stone.

I hope everyone is enjoying the ☀️

View attachment 679778

Finished treatments today 🥳!! Phew, so happy to be done. I was thinking I would at least stand near the bell for a picture but come to find out they don't have one in the office. I get it, like mentioned here before it's probably uncomfortable for those still going through treatment. I wasn't going to ring it but either way the last session was rather anticlimactic

View attachment 679785

My fingernails have taken a beating the last few weeks which besides being pretty ugly hasn't effected me much. Also gets me out of doing dishes 😅.

I saw the doctor before infusion and we talked about the port. She says I can get it out when I have the double mastectomy in July. This was such good news to hear 🙌. Next up is an MRI next week to check on whatever that little blob in my pancreas is to make sure it hasn't done anything funky (maybe it even went away with the chemo 🤷‍♀️), and a mammogram and ultrasound for what I'm not really sure but probably just to see if there were any changes. If all goes well I'll be "a go" for surgery at the end of the month. I'm certainly pretty nervous about that and recovery. I do tend to recovery quickly so I'm sure I'll be fine with this... it's more thinking about the physical changes that'll take some time getting used to. Speaking of physical changes my head is like a chia pet 😆 I already have about 1/4 inch of regrowth going on up there. My kids say it's coming in white but I say it's platinum blonde lol.

Busy next 2 weeks with appointments and getting ready for the cruise. Kids still don't know about it- going to surprise them the day of. I enjoy surprising them and letting them try to figure it out along the way there. I've got another surprise for October- or November- I booked Disney for Halloween but I might change to Thanksgiving. Disney was calling to me so I went with it but it's not set in stone.

I hope everyone is enjoying the ☀️

Woohoo!!!!!! :cool1: So happy for you that chemo is complete. I know what you mean about getting the port out. I think I was more exited to get the port removed than I was for my last chemo.:rotfl2: My hair is coming back in "salt and pepper" instead of plain gray. I am in what I call baby chick stage. I have this little tuft of hair on the top of my head that will NOT lay down. It sticks up straight 🐥

Good luck with all the tests coming up. I am sure the surgery will go well and it will give you a new sense of wellness and peace of mind. So exciting that the cruise is a surprise for the kids!!!!

A little update here.....

My mammogram on June 20 showed a small 2mm area of microcalcifications near the base of my lumpectomy. I had a follow-up diagnostic mammogram a few days later. The radiologist doesn't think it is cancer as he can see the area on previous mammograms but given my history gave me the option of a biopsy. I had the biopsy yesterday and should have the results by end of day tomorrow. The recovery from this biopsy is more painful than the previous biopsy given my breast was already tender from a lumpectomy and radiation. Praying the results are benign.

Sorry I missed the earlier posts. So happy to hear good news!

Congratulations, @CaleCakes ! 🛎 Here’s a virtual bell for you to ring! Good luck on the testing and upcoming surgery. So glad you’re doing a cruise, and booking a Disney trip. You deserve it!

@Grace&Carolinesmom Thrilled your biopsy was negative. The same thing happened to me at the end of my treatment, too. Not what you want to be doing after going through all that! But so happy it was nothing.

GAGWTA!

I have some good news: I am an oncology graduate! I was diagnosed 9 years ago and had surgery (lumpectomy) and radiation treatment. I have had all negative mammograms since then, including the one I had yesterday. My oncologist said that I can return to getting my annual screening mammo and seeing my primary care physician for a breast exam.

I have some good news: I am an oncology graduate! I was diagnosed 9 years ago and had surgery (lumpectomy) and radiation treatment. I have had all negative mammograms since then, including the one I had yesterday. My oncologist said that I can return to getting my annual screening mammo and seeing my primary care physician for a breast exam.
Congratulations, Robin! So glad to hear it! I cannot believe it’s been 9 years!

That is fabulous news!! Congrats!! Nothing like a return to "normalcy" :cool1:

Hello all, checking in. Had the double mastectomy surgery with immediate diep flap reconstruction on Tuesday and got home on Thursday. Things are going well. I have no pain, just some stiffness in my back from have to walk hunched over. I am moving around well with the use of a walker. I go back to the doc on Tuesday hopefully a fee more of the drains will come out. I had 6 but they took 2 out before I left the hospital. I am a bit swollen of course but otherwise feel good. My mom has been my primary caregiver and she has been awesome. I see a spa day in our future as a big thank you 😊.

Hello all, checking in. Had the double mastectomy surgery with immediate diep flap reconstruction on Tuesday and got home on Thursday. Things are going well. I have no pain, just some stiffness in my back from have to walk hunched over. I am moving around well with the use of a walker. I go back to the doc on Tuesday hopefully a fee more of the drains will come out. I had 6 but they took 2 out before I left the hospital. I am a bit swollen of course but otherwise feel good. My mom has been my primary caregiver and she has been awesome. I see a spa day in our future as a big thank you 😊.
I’m glad things went well for you! Impressed you could write this! Good luck on Tuesday! Thanks for the update. 💐

So happy to hear your surgery went well and you are healing. It's nice you have your mother with you to care for you and take care of the day-to-day around the house so you can rest.

Keep us posted on your progress and get some rest :flower3:

Popping in with an update. Didn’t realize I haven’t posted here since March.
Today I went for my 6 month cancer check up. My blood number was good but they found 2 questionable lymph nodes on the sonogram. They weren’t there before and I am having pain in my left lower jaw. I asked the sonographer to take pictures there. Glad I did. The endo said to get another sonogram in Nov. and it shows some fat signs which means probably not cancer and maybe due to dental stuff. I can’t go to the dentist till after the sono. She said she had to tell me it could possibly be cancer again. No I don’t want Door 3 lol.
Dh and I are a little leery. Cancer round 2 she said it was from a cold and the biopsy Dr. Said it was fat cells in the needle. No it was cancer cells. It’s too small to biopsy yet.
I have been spending way too much time at cardiologist adjusting meds and blood tests. Trying to get the bp down. One med had too much lasix and I could barely walk for 2 weeks. Messed up my back muscles.
Ds3 is officially a family nurse practitioner. He is awaiting his license which takes months.
Dil2 just got a new job after the new job she had rescinded their offer. She is working from home. She had bad covid. 104 fever etc.
Dh leaves Saturday for a business trip. 2 weeks in Sweden snd Germany. Back for a day then another trip 4 hours away, Then
Off to California. Sometime in October we were thinking of a wdw trip. The stars will have to align.
GAGWTA. Hope you are all doing well.

Popping in with an update. Didn’t realize I haven’t posted here since March.
Today I went for my 6 month cancer check up. My blood number was good but they found 2 questionable lymph nodes on the sonogram. They weren’t there before and I am having pain in my left lower jaw. I asked the sonographer to take pictures there. Glad I did. The endo said to get another sonogram in Nov. and it shows some fat signs which means probably not cancer and maybe due to dental stuff. I can’t go to the dentist till after the sono. She said she had to tell me it could possibly be cancer again. No I don’t want Door 3 lol.
Dh and I are a little leery. Cancer round 2 she said it was from a cold and the biopsy Dr. Said it was fat cells in the needle. No it was cancer cells. It’s too small to biopsy yet.
I have been spending way too much time at cardiologist adjusting meds and blood tests. Trying to get the bp down. One med had too much lasix and I could barely walk for 2 weeks. Messed up my back muscles.
Ds3 is officially a family nurse practitioner. He is awaiting his license which takes months.
Dil2 just got a new job after the new job she had rescinded their offer. She is working from home. She had bad covid. 104 fever etc.
Dh leaves Saturday for a business trip. 2 weeks in Sweden snd Germany. Back for a day then another trip 4 hours away, Then
Off to California. Sometime in October we were thinking of a wdw trip. The stars will have to align.
GAGWTA. Hope you are all doing well.
LMP, I am so sorry to hear about the new concern with the 2 lymph nodes. It is always hard to have to wait to get the biopsy. I am hoping it‘s nothing to worry about. It is good that your blood numbers look good. Hope you are walking better now.

Congrats to DS3. Hope you get to take the October trip. We expect to go December before the madness starts. A lot going on here so who knows? DD is having surgery in October. My mom is getting so weak, and our sweet doggie‘s arthritis has slowed her down big time. I try to live in the moment but some days not easy to do.

@luvmarypoppins, sending you positive vibes while you wait for the biopsy. I hope everything turns out in the right direction for you.

Coming up on 8 weeks post op and feeling pretty good. Between week 2 and 3 of recovery i noticed the abdominal incision was looking a little angry so the doc put me on a week antibiotic which cleared it quickly. I think I misunderstood the assignment when they said ditch the walker and start moving more, so I did, and probably did too much. The worst part of the first week or so was having to walk hunched over. I should have practiced that ahead of time!

I don't think I reported back that final pathology showed no sign of the cancer in the area it was, and no sign of any questionable cells in all the other tissue they took. I was able to have the port removed in early August and they oncologist said I didn't qualify for any medications so I was super excited about that. I really didn't want to have to be on medication, and if I'm being honest I don't think I would have taken it anyway. I still have some numbness in my stomach, mostly around the belly button. My shape is a little off, again mostly in the belly area. I am thinking/hoping as time passes and swelling subsides more I'll even out. The surgeon said give it a good 4 months. Yesterday was the first time I wore bottoms that weren't like a legging type. It just feels weird. Up top healed just fine. I'll check back in with the oncologist in Nov, and probably have my ovaries out in Dec. I more than met my deductible and have been getting refunds so I want to get that over with and not have to pay for it.

Gearing up for a trip to WDW for Halloween, just a quick 5 days. I'm super excited for MNSSHP and the Epcot booths. My parents are coming along and my mom hasn't been to Disney in 30 something years. The kids don't know yet but I'm preparing to tell them any day now.

Hope all is well with everyone else. Happy Fall y'all 🤠

It's been way too long since I have dropped by here to say hello. With it now Breast Cancer Awareness Month, all of you come to mind even more than usual for me. Wishing everyone here good, improved and ongoing health. You are a bunch of wonderful warriors!! God bless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter