Disability Parking pass....

Jcricket Fan

DIS Veteran
Mom & I will be at the World this coming week and this will be her first trip with a Disability Parking Pass (State issued hang tag, we will be driving a rental)

This is new territory for us and we don't want to get this wrong. At parks do we just enter as always and someone will direct us to the front for parking? As I understand Valet parking is free of charge for those with the Disability tag as well? (we would tip of course)

We will be going to the GF one afternoon for tea do we drive in and park in special spots or is it easier to valet.

My personal thoughts added...it breaks my heart to read the stories of the dirty looks people can get because the parkers don't "look disabled enough"!
Mom's health has declined enough now where you can tell when she walks that there is a problem but for several years her issues weren't that noticable so she never applied for a hang tag. It bugs me that she suffered in silence for so many years just because she was concerned about what other people would think!

Thank you for any extra light you can shead on the use of the parking pass.

Colleen :sunny:

If you have access to the Disney transportation system, I definately would recommend taking the buses to Magic Kingdom. The "closest" disabled parking is at MGM. Epcot and AK are also not too bad. At AK, there is usually not a parking attendant for the disabled area. Keep to the right lane and when the regular traffic turns off to the left, you continue straight ahead to the right,and on around a loop to the Disabled parking area. At Epcot, follow the rest of the traffic in, when you get to the point where cars are directed down rows, you will be directed to go straight ahead instead.

At MGM you will park near the Disney bus loading area.

Basically, though they are often weather worn, look for a blue line in the traffic lane in the park parking areas and follow it.

Magic Kingdom theme park parking is the worst, you park, then walk under a bridge with a fairly steep ramp to the Ticket and Transport center, then must board a monorail or boat. It is far, far, easier to use the Disney transport bus if you are staying onsite...the buses will drop you near the main entrance to MK.

Thanks so much for getting back to me. My brain is clearly not engaged today...too busy packing!

For this trip the only park "parking" that will really matter will be AK as we are staying at BCV and we can bus to MK.

Thank you for your great discriptions of the parking situation...I am sure there will be many who will benefit from this help.

Colleen :sunny:

Chuck S said:
If you have access to the Disney transportation system, I definately would recommend taking the buses to Magic Kingdom. The "closest" disabled parking is at MGM. Epoct and AK are also not too bad. At AK, there is usually not a parking attendant for the disabled area. Keep to the right lane and when the regular traffic turns off to the left, you continue straight ahead to the right,and on around a loop to the Disabled parking area. At Ecpot, follw the rest of the trafic in, when you get to the point where car are directed down rows, you will be directed to go straight ahead instead.

At MGM you willpark near the Disney bus loading area.

Basically, though they are often weather worn, look for a blue line in the traffic lane in them park parking areas and follow it.

Magic Kingdom theme park parking is the worst, you park, then walk under a bridge with a fairly steep ramp to the Ticket and Transport center, then must board a monorail or boat. It is far, far, easier to use the Disney transport bus if you are staying onsite...the buses will drop you near the main entrance to MK.
I agree with Chuck - for MK use the bus.
The handicapped parking at MK is a pretty long walk to the monorail or the boat. If you choose the monorail, there is a steep ramp (very steep - going up to 2nd floor level). The bus is MUCH easier.

in general, have the handicapped parking permit out where the parking lot CM can see it as you drive thru the parking lot and they will direct you to the correct area.

For the resorts, you are better off using valet parking. It is free for people with handicapped parking tags (probably because in the Delux resorts, the handicapped parking is actually quite far away).

Another thing to consider though:
This advice is good if your mom has a wheelchair with her. If she doesn't, you will actually have a shorter walk by parking in the regular lot and using the trams. Some of the handicapped parking areas (like MGM) are about the same distance, but most are a much farther walk and there are no trams from the handicapped parking. Tell the parking lot CMs that you need parking close to the tram stop. They do save some spots for that purpose.

There are some wheelchairs in the handicapped parking lots for use getting from parking to the area where you can rent wheelchairs/ecvs in the park. They are first come, first serve and are not always available, but are worth looking for.

If she has a wheelchair, the buses, monorails and most boats are wheelchair accessible.

Thank you SueM for the advice to keep an eye out for perhaps a wheelchair in the parking area. Mom isn't bringing a chair but we may need to get one at several points during the trip depending on how she is doing.

I can't believe that we have gotten to here where I need to plan for these things. I feel such sadness at what we can no longer do but joy that I still have my mom with me to make these wonderful trips!

I do believe we will valet at the resorts as mom really wants to visit the GF again (that was our first hotel we stayed at together!) and go to see AKL.

I don't know how I could plan all these things without the wonderful help of the DIS :sunny:

Colleen

Like Sue said if you are driving to the parks you will be better off if you park in the regular spots and tell a cm that you need to park on the end for medical reasons and ride the tram in it will drop you off at the gates. MK handicap parking is a long way from the gate.

Michigan said:
Like Sue said if you are driving to the parks you will be better off if you park in the regular spots and tell a cm that you need to park on the end for medical reasons and ride the tram in it will drop you off at the gates. MK handicap parking is a long way from the gate.

THIS IS SO TRUE!!!

Bring your handicapped hang tag from your home state. Do NOT go to handicapped parking though. Show castmember the hang card and request that they allow you to park in regular parking but the nearest end to the tram. Their web-site even says they will accomodate this.
Their handicapped/medical parking area would be great for someone with an ecv, electric wheelchair or push chair that didn't fold. Also good for anyone unable to transfer to tram. BUT anyone that can walk even a little should use the tram. We thought we were helping my dad by parking in blue zone but "holey cow" we just made it worse...esp. at MK the walk was terrible!!!

One a side note, Disney resorts have a limited number of standard (push) wheelchairs available for use by their guests. You can request one when you check-in. You'll need to leave a credit card deposit...but the "rental" is free. You can use these chairs for the length of your trip. Often they will have a lock chain to lock the wheels in the parks to no one decides to use your chair while you are on a ride. Just don't lock it to anything, like a bench or tree, as CMs may have to move it.

Chuck S said:
One a side note, Disney resorts have a limited number of standard (push) wheelchairs available for use by their guests. You can request one when you check-in. You'll need to leave a credit card deposit...but the "rental" is free. You can use these chairs for the length of your trip. Often they will have a lock chain to lock the wheels in the parks to no one decides to use your chair while you are on a ride. Just don't lock it to anything, like a bench or tree, as CMs may have to move it.
If you plan to borrow one from your WDW resort, I'd suggest still bringing along the numbers of the off-site medical equipment companies (you can find them in the disABILITIES FAQs thread). That way if the resort doesn't have a wheelchair for you (or doesn't have one that is appropriate for you), you have a handy option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter