disABLED who is determined not to be!

recorder755

Earning My Ears
This is my first trip with someone who may need special services, so I've been trying to read and learn as much as possible. Our trip is June 12 and we are going to MK, SW, and US. Our group has 3 adults and 5 children:16,13,11,9,&7. The 16 yr old is very adamant about not being "disabled"; she is able to walk, attends school with no help, drives, etc., but as a child was in an accident with a lawnmower and her walking is very limited. She walks on the outside of her feet and leans to one side, after several surgeries, and more to go. She is thinking she'll be able to do as the other kids, but she has no clue how much walking is involved. From reading here and on the rec.dis.parks board (where some nice person referred me to here), this is the plan I've developed and some questions I have. I'd love for someone to read and point me in the right direction. We are staying offsite. We will be trying for a wheelchair or ECV at the park as the backup plan when she gets tired.
1. We go to regular parking and ask (at the booth? or to first parking attendant?) for an outside parking space close to tram pickup. (do we need a handicapped sticker?)
2. Rent wheelchair, which I (bad knees, but entirely mobile) as well as the 7 year old can also use if we get tired.
3. Get a Guest Assistance pass in case we need it later in the day.
4. I'm not sure how she'll do on the moving entry rides (like Haunted Mansion), but if she has to have help, let half of our group go with her and the other half go thru regular line.
5. Since I think she'll mainly need the wheelchair during the later part of the day, is there a way we can rent in the morning and "park" until we need it? Or is that not doable?
6. Is there a spot specifically for handicapped to see parades comfortably without a lot of standing?
7. We are going to try to get a PS for mid-afternoon, probably at Crystal Palace, so that will give her a chance to rest awhile before we have to go back to traveling around the park.
8. Are there handicapped bathrooms or rest areas where she can attend to personal needs...(she takes care catherization herself)

I know I haven't thought of everything. I've made 10+ trips myself, but this will be the first for the rest of my group. (More than likely will be the only trip for the children.) If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to correct me or enlighten me! Thanks! :flower3:

recorder755 said:
We will be trying for a wheelchair or ECV at the park as the backup plan when she gets tired.
1. We go to regular parking and ask (at the booth? or to first parking attendant?) for an outside parking space close to tram pickup. (do we need a handicapped sticker?)
2. Rent wheelchair, which I (bad knees, but entirely mobile) as well as the 7 year old can also use if we get tired.
3. Get a Guest Assistance pass in case we need it later in the day.
4. I'm not sure how she'll do on the moving entry rides (like Haunted Mansion), but if she has to have help, let half of our group go with her and the other half go thru regular line.
5. Since I think she'll mainly need the wheelchair during the later part of the day, is there a way we can rent in the morning and "park" until we need it? Or is that not doable?
6. Is there a spot specifically for handicapped to see parades comfortably without a lot of standing?
7. We are going to try to get a PS for mid-afternoon, probably at Crystal Palace, so that will give her a chance to rest awhile before we have to go back to traveling around the park.
8. Are there handicapped bathrooms or rest areas where she can attend to personal needs...(she takes care catherization herself)

I know I haven't thought of everything. I've made 10+ trips myself, but this will be the first for the rest of my group. (More than likely will be the only trip for the children.) If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to correct me or enlighten me! Thanks! :flower3:

Ok at 16 she will NOT be allowed to drive an ECV...sorry it's 18. I was 16, had my liscence and all they said no it's 18 due to liability, so your option is a wheelchair.

Head to town hall in the MK to recieve a guest assistance pass, and USE IT, my experience is that when I was hesitant to use it and stood in the lines I paid dearly the next day. Encourage her to take advantage of what they have to offer so she can enjoy her vacation as much as possible. Pushing herself will only make her feel wretched the next day.

As for HM, I use my GAC and they actually STOP the ride completely to let me on and off, they ROCK! BUT you have to ASK for this, you have to use your GAC for this to happen.

I have tried to get a wheelchair later in the day but have had a very hard time doing this.

There are handicapped viewing areas for Illuminations and Fantasmic, I'm not sure about at the MK.

Another nice rest for a ride is in Tomorrowland, the Transit Authority (wedway people mover)

Make a PS for a sit down every day so she can rest!

There are handicapped/family stalls in every womans restroom so no worries there!

any questions feel free to PM me. I am 21 and physically disabled, I can walk, drive and function on my own, but when it comes to walking distances I cannot do it, and when trying I tend to make myself worse for the next day/week. Being disabled as a teen in Disney isn't bad at all, they make sure you have what you need, and don't at all look at you funny. I have had some rude comments from other guests, but you get those everywhere.

OH as for parking *smacks head* you do need a handicapped placard to park in handicapped.

Also just a side note, I would normally reccomend this if you are staying on property, it is a nice benefit so something to really considder. We rent my ECV from offsite (no driving age limits!) and they deliver it to our onsite hotel, from there we use Disney transportation. If you are staying at a hotel instead of a timeshare/vacation home it MIGHT be worth looking in to the value or moderate resorts because of this perk.

Thanks so much for your reply! We aren't going to push her at all; we are trying (behind the scenes, right now) to find out all these things so we can present them to her and sound like we know what we are talking about! :)
I think our toughest job yet is going to be talking her into a wheelchair. She absolutely bristles at any mention of help.
Your answer led to more questions so here goes:

OH as for parking *smacks head* you do need a handicapped placard to park in handicapped.
From readin on here, we were just going to ask for an "end of aisle" parking near the tram stop. Will we need H. sticker for that? And who do we ask?

Also just a side note, I would normally reccomend this if you are staying on property, it is a nice benefit so something to really considder. We rent my ECV from offsite (no driving age limits!) and they deliver it to our onsite hotel, from there we use Disney transportation. If you are staying at a hotel instead of a timeshare/vacation home it MIGHT be worth looking in to the value or moderate resorts because of this perk.

We are staying in a timeshare at Westgate Towncenter. Is this still possible for us? I'm guessing she'd much rather be in an ecv instead of a wheelchair. I'm considering just renting one for myself and when she's tired, just having it available for her to sit on to rest. what do you think about that idea?

Hi! I just wanted to add that there are handicapped viewing areas in the MK for parades. The cust of renting a wheelchair is the same if yiyu ren in the morning or afternoon. You can rent a WC in the morning and pick one up whenever you need it. Make sure that you save uour rental receipt--you can use it to rent a WC during that entire day, even if you change parks.

Good luck!

You can ask for an end of the aisle, tell them it's due to a walking issue and just ask the people flagging you in as you go!

Does your timeshare offer transportation to WDW??? If they do it is required by law to be handicap accessable, if this is the case then rent an ECV from offsite (If you can use if I can go hunting in my vaca stuff and find who I use) so it would be well worth taking their shuttle. She can sit on one you rent, but not drive it. They are really strict about it.

About wheelchair rentals when park hopping, they are NOT required to have one at the park after you leave. Meaning if you rent one in the MK, and decide you want to go to Epcot, you are not allowed to take the chair with you, and when you get to Epcot it does NOT guarantee you will get a chair there. It stinks which is why we always rent off site.

I was appauled and CRIED my eyes out when I couldn't do it anymore. We made it to AK back in 2000, I had walked through the MK and I just couldn't do it I was in so much pain walking was just to much. Mom and her best friend were there, and they rented me a wheelchair. I protested, but I am glad in the end I used it. It made my trip much more enjoyable. I was able to walk around DTD without it, because I had rested more during the trip. I understand her point of view as I have been there. In 2000 I was 16 and not pleased at all at first, but in the end it was for the better.

I'd be very leery of counting on just asking the parking attendant about an "end of aisle" spot - if you can get the sticker, I say go for it. Just basing thas on the sinking feeling I have every time it looks as though we'll be at one end, near the tram, and at the last minute are directed to start another row at the far end. I know I always follow their rules without question, but I wonder how many people try the "we have walking issues" just to save themselves the walk, and if Disney hasn't wised up to this and made it a requirement to show handicapped parking. Just somethnig else to consider!!!

We actually have been refused the end spot a few times when we didn't park in handicapped because I did not have my power wheelchair with me. Sent to the end of the row. My dh realized the distance I would need to walk and stopped much to the ire of the CM and dropped me before parking. But getting back to the car was a real problem.

smilingmouse said:
Hi! I just wanted to add that there are handicapped viewing areas in the MK for parades.
smilingmouse said:
Do you know where these are (so we can plan in advance)? Or will that be something we can get from our park map?

The cust of renting a wheelchair is the same if yiyu ren in the morning or afternoon. You can rent a WC in the morning and pick one up whenever you need it. Make sure that you save uour rental receipt--you can use it to rent a WC during that entire day, even if you change parks.
Great idea! I don't know if the timeshare has a shuttle or not, but if not, we will definitely use this plan. We can pay as we arrive and keep receipt to pick up later. I don't think it will take long for her to realize it is for her best interest. Of course, we'll go at a slow pace so as not to push her. Also, the smaller kids will probably tend to tire easily too.
Thanks...Bonnie

I understand her point of view as I have been there. In 2000 I was 16 and not pleased at all at first, but in the end it was for the better.
Thanks, it helps to have someone look at it from her perspective. Here, we are in a small town and she rarely needs help, so she's use to being independent. I'm pretty sure she has a parking sticker for her car, so we can take it in the vehicle to show if we are asked for it. As I recall, it is a long process of just getting into the park, much less spending the day walking thru it, so I hope we are able to make that as painless as possible for her. I think if we go slow and get a PS mid-afternoon and make sure we use the GAC for rides she may have trouble with and have that wheelchair on stand-by, we'll be fine. We are trying to really plan it out so this all works for her while maintaining her pride and dignity. Thanks ....any more suggestions...just keep 'em coming. We're planning a big Disney planning get-together in the next few weeks, so that is when we will discuss this with her and with the other kids. She's so independent, the other kids (friends and cousins), probably don't realize she's disABLED either! LOL :)

kandeebunny said:
Does your timeshare offer transportation to WDW??? If they do it is required by law to be handicap accessable, if this is the case then rent an ECV from offsite (If you can use if I can go hunting in my vaca stuff and find who I use) so it would be well worth taking their shuttle. She can sit on one you rent, but not drive it. They are really strict about it.

Off-site condos are not very accommodating when it comes to transporting ECVs and power equipment on their shuttles. Yes, they are legally obliged to provide the same level of service as to able bodied guests but you have to insist, insist, insist and then threaten to file a suit. One resort even told me it was against Florida law to transport a scooter on a shuttle...NOT!!! Make sure you do your battles while at home and if you have any problems get in touch with Fred Schotz at fred.shotz@adaconsulting.com. If you contact him before you leave for your vacation he can smooth the way with the condo shuttle.

Several years ago - we had a family trip to WDW - and I had to wear a walking boot due to a problem with ankle. We were staying onsite - but used our van to go to the parks. Everytime we pulled into the toll plaza (didn't have to pay), explained our problem & we were directed to the MEDICAL parking lot (no sticker required), right next to the handicapped lot.

I would call Disney & ask if they still have the lots. The only place we ran into trouble was at Seaworld. :flower:

You got a lot of good answers already, so I'm just adding some clarification.
First of all, if you haven't already checked out the disABILITIES FAQs, do that now. It has a lot of info regarding wheelchairs and ecvs.
Wheelchairs:One thing that might help her see the need for a wheelchair (and the distances involved), might be to "translate" into distances at home that she is familiar with. The distance around WS is about 1.3 miles.
I've read the average person walks between 3 and 9 miles per day at WDW. That may not sound like a lot to her until it gets translated into walking from home to school or to the mall twice (or some other familiar distance).
ECVs:The parks and most of the off-site rental places will not rent for use by someone younger that 18 yrs old for liability reasons (as was already noted). If someone younger uses one despite that, the company's insurance may not cover any damage or accidents.
Handicapped viewing areas:The handicapped viewing areas for parades are marked on the park maps. They tend to fill up quickly (so get there early) and your whole party will probably not be able to view the parade from there. Depending on how busy it is, they may limit access to the person with a disability plus one other member of their party. Someone with a wheelchair will be allowed into the area, but without a wheelchair, you do need a GAC. Some of the areas have some benches, but unless you are there before they fill up, the only way you are sure of a seat is to bring one with you. Some of the viewing areas are in direct sun, sometimes actually facing into the sun, so keep that in mind.
Guest Assistance Card:The disabilities you have described are what WDW calls "Endurance Concerns" and their usual recommendation for those types of disabilities is to rent a wheelchair or ecv, so you may not be able to get a Guest Assistance Card for her. Their reasoning is that the amount of time/distance involved in waiting in line is only a very small part of the walking done in a day at WDW.
If she does use a wheelchair, she probably does not need a GAC. The wheelchair lets the CM know that she needs to use the accessible entrance. Most lines are wheelchair accessible, but some rides have a different boarding procedure for people who need extra time boarding (see the link to a thread about boarding rides in the disABILITIES FAQs). If she doesn't get a wheelchair, a GAC may be useful for her in order to use the wheelchair boarding areas.
If you do get one, the GAC says right on the card that it is not meant to shorten or eliminate waits in line, just provide more appropriate access. That may include a quieter place to wait, but most of the time, there is no or limited seating in lines or while you wait.
Some of the attractions have a long way to walk even with a GAC - for example, going into Bug's Life involves a winding walk around the Tree of Life, whether or not you have a GAC.
Also, the GAC is usually given for up to 6 people; because your party has more children than adults, they will probably give it for 8. Make sure to explain your group to the CM at Guest Services. No matter how many the GAC says you can have, there are times when you will be asked to split into smaller groups. This is usually because of space available at that attraction for people with special needs.
Fast Pass:Is a free service available to anyone in the parks which wopuld be very helpful to your group. You put your park tickets into the Fastpass machine near the attraction and a Fastpass pops out with a return time printed on it. When you return, you will be able to get on the ride with a short wait (usually 10 minutes or less). To avoid doing a lot of backtracking, you can send one person ahead with all the passes to get fastpasses.
Off site transportation:Besides the availability for wheelchair factor that was already mentioned, something else to think about is that some off-site places provide only limited shuttle service (like a few trips per day). If that's all they provide people without disabilities, they are not required to provide any more than that to people with disabilities.
Medical Parking/Drop Off:Clarification about charge - if you are staying on-site at one of the WDW resorts, parking is free. If you nare staying off-site, there is a charge. The charge is not waived for people with disabilities.
If you have an ecv or a wheelchair that can't be folded, you will be directed to the Medical Parking or the end of a row at the front of the lot. This is because ecvs and non-folding wheelchairs can go on the trams. They do save spots on the ends of rows for people who walk with difficulty, but assigning them is at the discretion of the parking lot CM and there is no guarantee that any spots will be available (especially since people are more aware of them now with the info on the internet).
The marked Handicapped Parking is actually one part of the "Medical Parking Area". If you are directed to park in the Medical Parking lot, you will see some spots have either a Handicapped Parking sign or a wheelchair symbol painted on the ground. To park on those spots, you need a valid state issued handicapped parking permit. If you park there without a permit, you could get ticketed or towed. You can park in the unmarked spots in the Medical Parking without a permit.
There is no tram service from the Medical Parking area (this comes as a shock to a lot of people because the walk to the park turnstiles can be quite long even from the Medical Parking. One thing you can do is drive to the lot area closest to the entrance, drop off the passengers and then park.
The parks do have drop off points outside of the Medical Parking; tell the CM when you enter that you are dropping off.

Hey! Thanks for the replies! Based on what I've read here, I've made a few decisions already.
1.We'll take her handicapped parking pass and park in regular lot, trying to get on the end near the tram. (one question~if we are directed really far away, can we ask to be directed to the handicapped lot, so I can drop her off? My friend says she has seen her feet covered with blisters and bleeding because she just won't give up!
2.We'll rent a wheelchair when we arrive, whether we take it with us or come back for it later. I think she'll need it more the latter part of the day.
3.We'll try to get a GAC; reason being, I don't think she'll use the wheelchair even if we get it. I'm sure she won't use the wheelchair for lines or boarding/riding. It is mainly to get her from ride to ride as the day goes on. As for the GAC, we won't use it unless she needs special boarding, such as possibly the moving platform rides, then we have designated 3 others to go with her; the rest of us will meet them after the ride. We are a hardy group and will use fastpass and stand in line like everyone else. These kids will enjoy the sights, crowds, scenes, people! It is part of the experience that we don't want them to miss. This will be the biggest trip of their lives. All of them have had upset in their lives in the past year or so. We just want to make it special for them.
4.I'm not sure what to do about the parades; we'll check out the spots on the map, or we may just get to the route extra early and find a curb to sit on. I was just concerned about the amount of standing time for her. It seems I've waited on parades FOREVER!:) But if we can sit until parade starts, I think we'll be fine until it ends. I'm sure they (kids) won't want to be separated to view.
Thanks again for your help! (Does anyone know if Sea World, Univ. Studios) are similar? We're doing those 3 parks with a rest day between each so 16 yr. old will not be worn out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter