Disappointing Adult Cruise On The Dream

I would guess that the things that you found disappointing were not directly discussed in the podcasts you listened to. Meaning that I'm betting they did not say "the disney family pool is great, it's huge and plenty of room for everyone" but rather they took it as a given that people know it's going to be packed when the ship is full and didn't even bother to mention it. Things like that. So those things took you by surprise whereas people who have experience with DCL are like "yeah that's kind of a given."

It does suck when expectations exceed the experience, it's always much better the other way around!
All true! Sounds so negative to say, but my biggest takeaway was that the cruise line is just nowhere near as good as people say it is.

And maybe I’m wrong, but from all my years of listening to podcasts, didn’t the food used to be better? I seem to remember raves, but not recently. Also, didn’t DCL used to have a more upscale reputation?

At least you can say you gave it a shot and it wasn't for you. I wouldn't say there's a bigger better cruising world out there. I think it depends on what you are looking for. If you had young kids your opinion might be different. I would have never taken my kids on Holland or Celebrity. If I didn't have kids or didn't like kids I would have never have tried Disney.

I think you expected a high end experience based on price. I know you are DVC owner, but think of paying cash at the Riviera. Riviera also doesn't live up to the price tag. Disney is just overpriced. You either find value in that or you don't.

I wish we had been on the Magic!

r.e. bold - Cruise line loyalty is understandable but when $$$$ are concerned for these 2 cruisers considering a combo 75th Birthday cruise--

9/8/2025 DCL WISH Verandah 4 day $3,386 with $624.00 deposit

9/7/2025 MSC Seashore Yacht Club Verandah 4 day $3,498 with $198.00 deposit

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/cruis...VE55aBR0WgQJ8EAAYASAAEgIKQ_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

r.e. bold - Cruise line loyalty is understandable but when $$$$ are concerned for these 2 cruisers considering a combo 75th Birthday cruise--

9/8/2025 DCL WISH Verandah 4 day $3,386 with $624.00 deposit

9/7/2025 MSC Seashore Yacht Club Verandah 4 day $3,498 with $198.00 deposit

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/cruis...VE55aBR0WgQJ8EAAYASAAEgIKQ_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Exactly! Though I’ve never tried MSC, and reviews are mixed, the yacht club is supposed to be pretty darn good. Bigger ship, better food, more adult areas, no Mickey. If I hadn’t booked another cruise already, I would consider this.

All true! Sounds so negative to say, but my biggest takeaway was that the cruise line is just nowhere near as good as people say it is.

And maybe I’m wrong, but from all my years of listening to podcasts, didn’t the food used to be better? I seem to remember raves, but not recently. Also, didn’t DCL used to have a more upscale reputation?
I only really come here when I am planning a cruise which is every few years (with a 14 year break between 2005 and 2019.)

I have noticed that the Dream seems to get the most dings on food quality - but people have been arguing for 25 years about how good the DCL food is. At its core it is banquet food so it's never going to be as good as made to order food is. But there seems to be pretty wide variability in how that is. I can only guess that sometimes they nail the timing on everything and it's good and sometimes things sit, meat temperatures are off etc and it's not as good. I would guess that the larger the ships get, the more variability there is going to be.

I have never had bad food on any of my trips. I find it tasty and prepared just fine and it never came out cold, never had an overly done piece of meat or a dry piece of chicken. I also live in a tourist area where I have pretty much stopped going out to eat because it's always expensive and disappointing and I haven't really been disappointed in the food on the ships, but my bar has gotten lower and lower as the years have gone on. I also really appreciate really well prepared food by someone who knows what they are doing and cook a lot myself. As long as the preparation or seasoning isn't too screwed up I'm ok without it being super innovative. I always find enough to eat that I enjoy and I enjoy the process of trying a few different things without worrying about wasting money.

I think as far as the upscale reputation, the DECOR is certainly upscale, the service is in general top notch, but something geared toward families is never going to be "upscale." They just don't go together. I think of Crystal Cruise or similar as "upscale" where the food is gourmet, the service is impeccable, it is definitely an adult crowd but it is also much higher priced than Disney. I think anyone who relies on volume of passengers to keep pricing down is just going to overall have a more of a generic experience. For something TRULY upscale you need a smaller ship, fewer passengers, higher crew ratio, made to order meals etc and you are going to pay for that and it will cost a lot more than even Disney does.

So that's probably why you would have enjoyed a classic ship a bit more, because it gets halfway between a larger ship and a truly luxury ship - fewer passengers etc. The logistics are just a lot easier to handle for things that tend to lose quality as you scale up, like food preparation for nearly 2x as many passengers and pools that are not 2x as big on the larger ships to accommodate SOOO more passengers etc.

that said I enjoyed my Disney Dream and Fantasy cruise just fine, but I was with my kiddo so was looking for different things than I am looking for as an adult, and having been a mom to a kid on the spectrum for nearly 16 years now, am accustomed to putting the work and planning into crafting an experience that is not going to be miserable for my kiddo. Things like coming back a few hours early from CC to enjoy the pool/aquaduck with no waiting etc. It's totally different than going on a cruise as an adult and just wanting to relax and chill. I am very much looking forward to my Disney Magic adult only cruise coming up and being able to take advantage of the adult only areas and ignoring the family ones. And I gravitated toward the smaller classic ship for the above mentioned reasons. But I did not find the Dream/Fantasy to be unpleasant, but I did do more planning to make sure it wasn't. Maybe you shouldn't have to but the reason this forum has had such incredible popularity for decades is you kind of need to!

I've been cruising Disney for 14 years and it's never changed. I think other cruise lines have caught up to Disney in the family market. It was never upscale like Oceania or Silversea, but it was considered upscale compared to Carnival, NCL and Royal. I'm not sure that true anymore because even Carnival has upped their game with their new ships. There's a lot of great new ships out there. The Wish not being one of them. I would certainly give MSC a try.

I only really come here when I am planning a cruise which is every few years (with a 14 year break between 2005 and 2019.)

I have noticed that the Dream seems to get the most dings on food quality - but people have been arguing for 25 years about how good the DCL food is. At its core it is banquet food so it's never going to be as good as made to order food is. But there seems to be pretty wide variability in how that is. I can only guess that sometimes they nail the timing on everything and it's good and sometimes things sit, meat temperatures are off etc and it's not as good. I would guess that the larger the ships get, the more variability there is going to be.

I have never had bad food on any of my trips. I find it tasty and prepared just fine and it never came out cold, never had an overly done piece of meat or a dry piece of chicken. I also live in a tourist area where I have pretty much stopped going out to eat because it's always expensive and disappointing and I haven't really been disappointed in the food on the ships, but my bar has gotten lower and lower as the years have gone on. I also really appreciate really well prepared food by someone who knows what they are doing and cook a lot myself. As long as the preparation or seasoning isn't too screwed up I'm ok without it being super innovative. I always find enough to eat that I enjoy and I enjoy the process of trying a few different things without worrying about wasting money.

I think as far as the upscale reputation, the DECOR is certainly upscale, the service is in general top notch, but something geared toward families is never going to be "upscale." They just don't go together. I think of Crystal Cruise or similar as "upscale" where the food is gourmet, the service is impeccable, it is definitely an adult crowd but it is also much higher priced than Disney. I think anyone who relies on volume of passengers to keep pricing down is just going to overall have a more of a generic experience. For something TRULY upscale you need a smaller ship, fewer passengers, higher crew ratio, made to order meals etc and you are going to pay for that and it will cost a lot more than even Disney does.

So that's probably why you would have enjoyed a classic ship a bit more, because it gets halfway between a larger ship and a truly luxury ship - fewer passengers etc. The logistics are just a lot easier to handle for things that tend to lose quality as you scale up, like food preparation for nearly 2x as many passengers and pools that are not 2x as big on the larger ships to accommodate SOOO more passengers etc.

that said I enjoyed my Disney Dream and Fantasy cruise just fine, but I was with my kiddo so was looking for different things than I am looking for as an adult, and having been a mom to a kid on the spectrum for nearly 16 years now, am accustomed to putting the work and planning into crafting an experience that is not going to be miserable for my kiddo. Things like coming back a few hours early from CC to enjoy the pool/aquaduck with no waiting etc. It's totally different than going on a cruise as an adult and just wanting to relax and chill. I am very much looking forward to my Disney Magic adult only cruise coming up and being able to take advantage of the adult only areas and ignoring the family ones. And I gravitated toward the smaller classic ship for the above mentioned reasons. But I did not find the Dream/Fantasy to be unpleasant, but I did do more planning to make sure it wasn't. Maybe you shouldn't have to but the reason this forum has had such incredible popularity for decades is you kind of need to!
We’ve been on both Crystal and Regent, both very pricey, and the food was indeed gourmet. That said, it was almost too rich and fancy for us, and especially on Regent there was kind of a snooty air from both the crew and passengers to which we didn’t really respond.
On most lines, the food isn’t five star, we don’t expect it to be, but it’s tasty and well prepared and still a treat. Not so with DCL. I felt it was low end banquet food, and considering what we paid, pixie dust or no pixie dust, it was a rip off.
Maybe they should shoot off a few less fireworks and actually deliver on a some cruise basics that would improve the entire cruising experience, even if you like Disney but are not a stand-in-line-for-the-characters kind of fan.

Last edited:
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise. It's great that you have other cruise lines you like.

We are DVC, AP, etc. We're more Disney people than cruise people, so our first cruise was Disney Wonder to Alaska. Kids were 12/16. Enjoyed it enough to buy a placeholder and do Disney Magic Baltic Sea when the kids were 14/18. Then Fantasy Western Caribbean in 2022 as all adults, and Dream Norway in 2023 all adults. We've enjoyed all the cruises. Good to excellent servers each time, never had too fast service (too slow, yes)... always in MDR at least 1 hr 15 min. Had a couple cruises where they knew our drink orders and brought them out immediately. Some magic tricks, origami, or riddles ...but my adult kids look young, so not sure if it was just DH and I that we'd get any of that kind of extra thing. We LOVED our team from the Dream last year. The server saw us order all desserts the first 2 nights for the 4 of us to try and then wouldn't give us dessert menus after that and just brought out everything, joking that he makes them. Our server picked up on us replying excellent when asked how everything was and tried to stop the assistant server from reluctantly giving the 'excellent' speech saying we understood. (We knew about the 'excellent' speech from the boards before our first cruise, so we don't let it bother us.) We actually enjoy the MDR food that we've ordered. I know sometimes the quality depends on the port, etc, so maybe the Port Everglades port doesn't provide the best supplies, or the kitchens were 'off' for some reason.

We generally avoid the buffet. DH and I enjoy doing the MDR for a relaxed sit down breakfast or lunch (lunch menu changes daily) at least once each (I'm not counting debarkation breakfast which is hectic). Then we'll do pool deck food other days --fruit, salad, sandwiches, etc.

I prefer the adult areas on the Wonder/Magic, especially the relaxing piano bar. I know pool areas will be busy on a sea day and tend to go to the adult pool/hot tub either early morning or after dinner if they're showing a movie as the evening entertainment.

For sea day activities, we go to the anyone can cook sessions, art of the theme show tour, napkin folding, drawing classes, trivia, crafts, character meets if the line is short, Bingo, maybe a drink tasting for me, watch a movie, on Dream/Fantasy do mini golf and Midship Detective agency, just go for a walk on the promenade, sit on a lounger on the promenade or past Satellite falls behind the windbreak partitions.

We love the Disney Broadway style shows, and some of the entertainers are good...we've seen good and bad ones.

There is nothing wrong with saying DCL is not for you and that you prefer other cruise lines. I do think that you did not get the norm for service though and should have had better service all around, especially on the last day.
We are much like you (more Disney people than cruise people) and this is why I am nervous about going on other cruises!

From what I've gathered, it sounds like the OP was expecting more relaxation/down time. That's exactly the reason I'm worried about going on some of the other cruise lines. I've watched videos of people on some of the others and it looks like sea days are either reading, board games, pool, drinking with maybe some evening entertainment. I mean, those are fine... but I can do that at home so when I'm at WDW or DCL, I prefer to do things that are different.

We currently have both DCL and Princess scheduled for Alaska next summer. I'm leaning toward Princess due to cost and Glacier Bay and also knowing that we'll need to just understand that we might be a little bored those days. (And yes, I know there are some offerings like trivia on other cruise lines.)

We are much like you (more Disney people than cruise people) and this is why I am nervous about going on other cruises!

From what I've gathered, it sounds like the OP was expecting more relaxation/down time. That's exactly the reason I'm worried about going on some of the other cruise lines. I've watched videos of people on some of the others and it looks like sea days are either reading, board games, pool, drinking with maybe some evening entertainment. I mean, those are fine... but I can do that at home so when I'm at WDW or DCL, I prefer to do things that are different.

We currently have both DCL and Princess scheduled for Alaska next summer. I'm leaning toward Princess due to cost and Glacier Bay and also knowing that we'll need to just understand that we might be a little bored those days. (And yes, I know there are some offerings like trivia on other cruise lines.)
There’s a ton of fun stuff always happening on Princess. The piazza ( their name for the atrium) alone is way more lively than the one the Dream, with always happening contests, games, competitions, etc. I wouldn’t be worried. You definitely won’t be bored.

The sea day situation you’re anticipating, where not too much is happening, is way more common on older skewing lines like Oceania, Holland America, Azamara, Viking, etc.

We’ve been on both Crystal and Regent, both very pricey, and the food was indeed gourmet. That said, it was almost too rich and fancy for us, and especially on Regent there was kind of a snooty air from both the crew and passengers to which we didn’t really respond.
On most lines, the food isn’t five star, we don’t expect it to be, but it’s tasty and well prepared and still a treat. Not so with DCL. I felt it was low end banquet food, and considering what we paid, pixie dust or no pixie dust, it was a rip off.
Maybe they should shoot off a few less fireworks and actually deliver on a some cruise basics that would improve the entire cruising experience, even if you like Disney but are not a stand-in-line-for-the-characters kind of fan.
I haven't tried any of those high end lines because they are out of my budget, but also I feel like it would be too much for me too - like I would not fit in.

I picked Disney for my cruise because I had a level of comfort in knowing what to do and knowing what I will get. Because I love the decor, I noticed how quiet the adult areas were when I passed through and looked longingly back at them on my way to the family areas, and for my particular cruise the itinerary fit what I wanted and none of the other options were significantly cheaper enough for me to have to learn another line and figure it all out.

I'm guessing the food was especially bad on your cruise because I would not call it low-end banquet food. I've found it as good or slightly better than other banquet type events I've attended. I would not say there was anything bad about any of the meals that I had and like I said meat temperatures were as advertised, nothing dry, nothing under or over seasoned. I do not tend to like my food PIPING hot anyway so thermal temperature is not something I'd likely notice but nothing was cold that was not meant to be. Maybe I just pick the right things, I'm not sure. But I have seen more complaints about food on the Dream than any other ship and I'm not sure why that is or even if it's true or just my occasional participation perspective.

That said my last cruise was pre-covid. like RIGHT pre-covid - late February 2020. Not that it is an excuse at all but a lot did seem to change after so I guess we'll see!

We just got back from an adult cruise on the Magic and everything was great. I'm sorry for your experience Paul but it wasn't like that for us.
Great to hear this! We're on the Magic in 3 days!

I've been on 13 DCL cruises as well as 2 cruises on RCL and one a year ago on NCL. I really think it has a lot to do with what type of cruiser you are and what line fits you the best. I have always had amazing customer service on DCL- it is my favorite thing about the line. I'm sorry that you encountered a rude cruise member, but that is one thing I've never experienced and something I've rarely ever heard about DCL. Like others have said, if you end up going on DCL again and ever encounter something like that again, I would say something. Anytime I have had a little issue on DCL they have bent over backwards to correct the issue. For the pool, I just use the adult-only area and have never had a problem finding a comfortable spot to hang out.

I enjoyed the other cruise lines, but liked other things on DCL more. For example, I hated that the other lines had smoking areas. On RCL the smoke smell was very prevalent in the hallway near the casino. I'm also not big on casinos so I'm glad that DCL does not have them. I'm also not that big of a drinker, so it doesn't matter to me that DCL doesn't have drink packages.

For my college-age daughter, while we enjoyed our NCL cruise on the Prima, the population on the ship tended to be older. She missed the younger crowd on DCL. I will say that I liked the food better on NCL. Also for me, it seemed like there was more up-selling on the other lines (at least compared to the other things I'm usually interested in doing.)

So it does sound like DCL just may not have been the right cruise line for you. Everyone is different!

Hey everyone!

First of all, my wife and I are huge Disney fans, happy DVC owners, and don’t have kids. Over the last several years, I’ve read a bunch of enthusiastic reviews of Disney Cruise Line, listened to equally glowing podcasts from podcasters turned travel agents, and watched endless positive YouTube videos on the subject. Having done my homework, I thought it would be fun, prior to a DVC vacation at WDW, to take a five night cruise on the Dream in late April of this year. Alas, our experience failed to match, or even come close, to our expectations.

Having sailed on pretty much all the cruise lines, we’re pretty experienced cruisers. I thought it would be helpful to list some positive and negatives concerning our experience. I’m also genuinely curious if we’re being too critical, or perhaps making unfair judgements. There were, of course, tons of kids and families who were obviously having a great time.

Hi!
I appreciate your detailed opinions on this, and since we just got off of the Dream yesterday, we can do a little compare/contrast. (also, I appreciate how respectful this thread has been and that you have appreciated other viewpoints) The TLDR version is that I think you chose the wrong ship and wrong itinerary for a nicer cruise experience, as some other replies have also suggested.

Our background-- the cruise this past week (so either 1 or 2 cruises after yours) was DH and mine's 14th Disney cruise, and our first bringing little kids. It's always just been the 2 of us, but this time was a 4-generation trip, so it was definitely a different experience! It was our 2nd on the Dream, and she is not our favorite ship. We prefer the Wonder and Magic. We are also DVC owners and used to have APs. And we have not sailed other lines because we prefer this experience-- not necessarily because it's the 'fanciest' or 'best.' We understand that we are paying extra for (basically) entertainment, fireworks, and the Disney name.

Visiting with various crew members this past week-- the demographics of the last few cruises on the Dream were reported to me as: last week 3800 guests, including nearly 1000 kids under 18. That is down from 3900 guests the cruise or 2 prior to ours, down from 4000 just before that. So these cruises have been full. Some crew indicated that even going from 4000 to 3800 makes a difference.
In contrast-- the current Transatlantic cruise on the Dream that sailed away yesterday was expected to have 2800 guests, and 300 kids. HUGE difference.
We sailed the South Pacific crossing on the Wonder last October, and we had something like 2000 guests, and fewer than 500 kids. Just after the pandemic, we did the crossing from Hawaii to Vancouver with 1300 guests. I wouldn't expect that itinerary to ever be that uncrowded again, but it was heavenly.

Having now sailed with little kids-- they just want to be in the pool. More kids on board, more kids in the pool and it is sort of a madhouse. Some kids get absorbed into the kids' spaces and activities, but our grandkids and kids (30s) were just not interested in that, other than a few character meets. Also, the character meeting lines were very long, even the crew commented on that. (they can get long on other cruises as well, though)
By extension, I would think the adult pool areas would be *relatively* more quiet than the family pool, but still, a full ship means the spaces are full.
Mind you, DH and I are not "hang out by the pool" people, but we did last week for the grandkids.

Food/dining experience:
Again-- full ship; fewer opportunities to spread out at dining. There really aren't very many tables for 2-- I think most tables are at least 4 guests-- if the ship is full, you'd have to at least share with another couple. But they have the option under Special Requests (as you noted-- request only) because it is possible with a not-full ship to have your own table.

Our experience was that one of our meals seemed to take a long time; and the others were paced pretty well. We did early dining, because of the kids, but we do that as adults, too, as we prefer to have time to digest our meals and enjoy the shows after dinner, so I'm with you there. We do not care for a meal to take forever-- we have had the experience on a previous cruise where we were seated with a fairly large group and the late dining never ended until 10:30 pm. Hated that. This cruise it was fine.

Food quality-- we've had hits and misses. Mostly good choices this past cruise. Nothing that knocked our socks off, but very few misses. I think a couple of dry-ish meat items were the worst. But I don't think DCL food is rave-worthy. (also, I don't trust most of the bloggers/vloggers-- they know where their bread is buttered; and some of them have worse than childish palates)
The "survey" talk-- somehow we didn't get "the talk" this time. Maybe it was just that our team felt more confident; or we gave enough verbal and non-verbal cues to not do it; or something. And I appreciate that. And yes, some servers go way overboard on that and make it very uncomfortable-- we try to stop them, knowing what they are about to say. But for your first cruise-- they may feel like they have to go into detail, and you couldn't have known to tell them to stop (as a previous poster or 2 has suggested). Also, could just be luck of the draw. We had really good servers this time.

Cabanas IS open for debarkation morning, limited hours. They absolutely do not advertise that. It wasn't in the app, even. We physically went up there to check, as the little kids were not up to a 7 am sit down breakfast with choices of foods they didn't care for.
I hate that the aft elevators open into Cabanas on the Dream. It's awkward.

The atrium-- yes, it is a beautiful space. We saw it utilized for photos, individual character meets, the Princess gathering, and a fine musical performer (whose name I should have written down). We didn't attend the "See You Real Soon" party on the last night (too late for little kids). We also didn't attend the Diaper Dash or Chip it Golf-- also activities in the atrium. And with 1 sea day on our sailing-- I wouldn't have expected activities all day long in the atrium.
I think the line prefers to spread people out into the various activity spaces and theaters. One couldn't well hold Bingo in the atrium, though holding it in the Buena Vista Theater was also not good-- much nicer to have it in a lounge area--which seems to work best on the classic ships and the Wish so far.

Adult bar area-- again, we prefer this on the classic ships. The layout is less confusing, and there are windows, such as in the Cadillac Lounge and the pub on the Wonder. We also like the layout with what used to the be the Promenade Lounge on the classics (now re-themed, but they are places that one can relax and see out a window, and not too noisy depending on what activity is there). We did have a nice chat with some of the bartenders in the Skyline lounge, but it was during a showtime, so a quiet part of the evening. Sadly, our kids/grandkids weren't into going to the big theater shows. I know the shows are great.

As for nice places to hang out-- we like to sit on Deck 4, weather permitting, and watch the ocean. On the classics, we like to sit by a window above the atrium on deck 4. The Dream has some space to do that across from Shutters on Deck 4, which is good if there is not a line of people waiting to meet a character. So-- you can't say there's nothing in the atrium, and yet, the atrium is too busy for you to sit and relax..... It's a timing thing.

Debarkation--- it was a little hectic-- of course, because there were nearly twice as many people as we like to have on the ship. We checked most of our bags the night before, but have brought bags to breakfast on past cruises, and we usually find room for them. The line to debark seemed to move pretty quickly (quicker than boarding day for sure--ugh, we waited in the first-time cruise line with our family when DH and I could have just sailed into the Platinum line, but that was our choice). Getting our bags and out through Customs went quickly.

The comment from the crew member-- that was not really ok. Mind you, we don't have the full exchange here, and you don't sound snippy yourself, so maybe they were not having a good moment. Not cool, but also, as you have read here and in the other comments-- with a very full ship, it's just harder and different from what your expectations were. (p.s., again, do not trust the vloggers!)

hmm...do I have other thoughts?
--Our room host was fine, but he was pretty much a ninja-- we saw our clean rooms, but hardly saw him. That's ok.
--if one gets crab legs from the buffet and eats in one's room-- take your darn tray of shells back to Cabanas or call for service to get the tray. Do not leave it in the hallway on a warm afternoon. That was gross. (we didn't do that-- our slightly down the hall neighbors did)
-- BBB was a wonderful experience for our granddaughter. Did I cry? yes, I did.
--Guest Services was always helpful
-- Bingo was less exciting and fun compared to what we have experienced on previous cruises. Being in the theater didn't help. Also, my bingo buddy was not there. I only played once this cruise (also, didn't have time).
--I think our whole family pretty much had a good time, with a few hiccups here and there, because they were new to sailing. I did put my heart and soul into trying to make things run smoothly, and it was mostly successful. So I hope they made a few good memories.

So--longer cruises, with fewer people, on smaller ships-- more relaxing time. I think if you did decide to give DCL another try, that would be the way to do it. Actually, on a per night basis, it costs less than some of the shorter cruises. And, the longer itineraries have more interesting activities such as cooking demos, guest lectures (such as Broadway performers, Imagineers, or on the South Pacific, we had a National Geographich photographer).
DH and I try very hard not to sail during times like spring break, major holidays, and the peak of summer, not only because it is less expensive, but the ships are less full. Our only other very crowded experience was during the Disney Plus special they ran last year.

Last edited:
Hi!
I appreciate your detailed opinions on this, and since we just got off of the Dream yesterday, we can do a little compare/contrast. (also, I appreciate how respectful this thread has been and that you have appreciated other viewpoints) The TLDR version is that I think you chose the wrong ship and wrong itinerary for a nicer cruise experience, as some other replies have also suggested.

Our background-- the cruise this past week (so either 1 or 2 cruises after yours) was DH and mine's 14th Disney cruise, and our first bringing little kids. It's always just been the 2 of us, but this time was a 4-generation trip, so it was definitely a different experience! It was our 2nd on the Dream, and she is not our favorite ship. We prefer the Wonder and Magic. We are also DVC owners and used to have APs. And we have not sailed other lines because we prefer this experience-- not necessarily because it's the 'fanciest' or 'best.' We understand that we are paying extra for (basically) entertainment, fireworks, and the Disney name.

Visiting with various crew members this past week-- the demographics of the last few cruises on the Dream were reported to me as: last week 3800 guests, including nearly 1000 kids under 18. That is down from 3900 guests the cruise or 2 prior to ours, down from 4000 just before that. So these cruises have been full. Some crew indicated that even going from 4000 to 3800 makes a difference.
In contrast-- the current Transatlantic cruise on the Dream that sailed away yesterday was expected to have 2800 guests, and 300 kids. HUGE difference.
We sailed the South Pacific crossing on the Wonder last October, and we had something like 2000 guests, and fewer than 500 kids. Just after the pandemic, we did the crossing from Hawaii to Vancouver with 1300 guests. I wouldn't expect that itinerary to ever be that uncrowded again, but it was heavenly.
How do you find out how full a ship is?

We are on the Magic for a cruise the same week as the inaugural Fantasy to lighthouse pointe cruise - so when I started looking for a low key cruise ON my birthday, the choice was clear - plus the Fantasy was more than double the price of the magic for just two days extra days - like $4800 for a 7a on the magic (secret porthole) to well over $10k for the cheapest verandah on the fantasy I think.

Now I am looking at availability at 33 days out and it looks like nearly every aft category 11 is available, a handful of cat 10's are not booked (including 5022 and 5024, last minute secret porthole?!?) and a ton of verandah rooms of all categories except 6a and 7a which are GTY, and then also regular GTY for about $1k less (would anyone book a 7A and 6A gty for $1k more than the regular GTY?)

Anyway I am wondering how full we are going to end up being. I would say just looking at the rooms maybe 2/3 full as of now but that's just poking around. How did you actually find out? just ask a crew? Nosy minds want to know! I'm hearing you saying 1300 is heavenly and wondering if that's about where we'll fall!

Last edited:
Hi!

Having now sailed with little kids-- they just want to be in the pool. More kids on board, more kids in the pool and it is sort of a madhouse. Some kids get absorbed into the kids' spaces and activities, but our grandkids and kids (30s) were just not interested in that, other than a few character meets. Also, the character meeting lines were very long, even the crew commented on that. (they can get long on other cruises as well, though)
By extension, I would think the adult pool areas would be *relatively* more quiet than the family pool, but still, a full ship means the spaces are full.
Mind you, DH and I are not "hang out by the pool" people, but we did last week for the grandkids.

Food/dining experience:
Again-- full ship; fewer opportunities to spread out at dining. There really aren't very many tables for 2-- I think most tables are at least 4 guests-- if the ship is full, you'd have to at least share with another couple. But they have the option under Special Requests (as you noted-- request only) because it is possible with a not-full ship to have your own table.

Our experience was that one of our meals seemed to take a long time; and the others were paced pretty well. We did early dining, because of the kids, but we do that as adults, too, as we prefer to have time to digest our meals and enjoy the shows after dinner, so I'm with you there. We do not care for a meal to take forever-- we have had the experience on a previous cruise where we were seated with a fairly large group and the late dining never ended until 10:30 pm. Hated that. This cruise it was fine.

Food quality-- we've had hits and misses. Mostly good choices this past cruise. Nothing that knocked our socks off, but very few misses. I think a couple of dry-ish meat items were the worst. But I don't think DCL food is rave-worthy. (also, I don't trust most of the bloggers/vloggers-- they know where their bread is buttered; and some of them have worse than childish palates)
The "survey" talk-- somehow we didn't get "the talk" this time. Maybe it was just that our team felt more confident; or we gave enough verbal and non-verbal cues to not do it; or something. And I appreciate that. And yes, some servers go way overboard on that and make it very uncomfortable-- we try to stop them, knowing what they are about to say. But for your first cruise-- they may feel like they have to go into detail, and you couldn't have known to tell them to stop (as a previous poster or 2 has suggested). Also, could just be luck of the draw. We had really good servers this time.

Cabanas IS open for debarkation morning, limited hours. They absolutely do not advertise that. It wasn't in the app, even. We physically went up there to check, as the little kids were not up to a 7 am sit down breakfast with choices of foods they didn't care for.
I hate that the aft elevators open into Cabanas on the Dream. It's awkward.

The atrium-- yes, it is a beautiful space. We saw it utilized for photos, individual character meets, the Princess gathering, and a fine musical performer (whose name I should have written down). We didn't attend the "See You Real Soon" party on the last night (too late for little kids). We also didn't attend the Diaper Dash or Chip it Golf-- also activities in the atrium. And with 1 sea day on our sailing-- I wouldn't have expected activities all day long in the atrium.
I think the line prefers to spread people out into the various activity spaces and theaters. One couldn't well hold Bingo in the atrium, though holding it in the Buena Vista Theater was also not good-- much nicer to have it in a lounge area--which seems to work best on the classic ships and the Wish so far.

Adult bar area-- again, we prefer this on the classic ships. The layout is less confusing, and there are windows, such as in the Cadillac Lounge and the pub on the Wonder. We also like the layout with what used to the be the Promenade Lounge on the classics (now re-themed, but they are places that one can relax and see out a window, and not too noisy depending on what activity is there). We did have a nice chat with some of the bartenders in the Skyline lounge, but it was during a showtime, so a quiet part of the evening. Sadly, our kids/grandkids weren't into going to the big theater shows. I know the shows are great.

As for nice places to hang out-- we like to sit on Deck 4, weather permitting, and watch the ocean. On the classics, we like to sit by a window above the atrium on deck 4. The Dream has some space to do that across from Shutters on Deck 4, which is good if there is not a line of people waiting to meet a character. So-- you can't say there's nothing in the atrium, and yet, the atrium is too busy for you to sit and relax..... It's a timing thing.

Debarkation--- it was a little hectic-- of course, because there were nearly twice as many people as we like to have on the ship. We checked most of our bags the night before, but have brought bags to breakfast on past cruises, and we usually find room for them. The line to debark seemed to move pretty quickly (quicker than boarding day for sure--ugh, we waited in the first-time cruise line with our family when DH and I could have just sailed into the Platinum line, but that was our choice). Getting our bags and out through Customs went quickly.

The comment from the crew member-- that was not really ok. Mind you, we don't have the full exchange here, and you don't sound snippy yourself, so maybe they were not having a good moment. Not cool, but also, as you have read here and in the other comments-- with a very full ship, it's just harder and different from what your expectations were. (p.s., again, do not trust the vloggers!)

hmm...do I have other thoughts?
--Our room host was fine, but he was pretty much a ninja-- we saw our clean rooms, but hardly saw him. That's ok.
--if one gets crab legs from the buffet and eats in one's room-- take your darn tray of shells back to Cabanas or call for service to get the tray. Do not leave it in the hallway on a warm afternoon. That was gross. (we didn't do that-- our slightly down the hall neighbors did)
-- BBB was a wonderful experience for our granddaughter. Did I cry? yes, I did.
--Guest Services was always helpful
-- Bingo was less exciting and fun compared to what we have experienced on previous cruises. Being in the theater didn't help. Also, my bingo buddy was not there. I only played once this cruise (also, didn't have time).
--I think our whole family pretty much had a good time, with a few hiccups here and there, because they were new to sailing. I did put my heart and soul into trying to make things run smoothly, and it was mostly successful. So I hope they made a few good memories.

So--longer cruises, with fewer people, on smaller ships-- more relaxing time. I think if you did decide to give DCL another try, that would be the way to do it. Actually, on a per night basis, it costs less than some of the shorter cruises. And, the longer itineraries have more interesting activities such as cooking demos, guest lectures (such as Broadway performers, Imagineers, or on the South Pacific, we had a National Geographich photographer).
DH and I try very hard not to sail during times like spring break, major holidays, and the peak of summer, not only because it is less expensive, but the ships are less full. Our only other very crowded experience was during the Disney Plus special they ran last year.
Thank you! It does sound like we picked the wrong cruise and the wrong ship at the wrong time! In our defense, we didn’t want to take a long Disney cruise until we sampled the product, and it was the only cruise in all of Florida that ended on May 1, the day we were checking in to the Riviera. (We stayed a couple of pre cruise nights in the Fontainebleau, totally fun but a bit of a budget buster, so I didn’t want to book an additional night or two anywhere in Orlando before checking into the Riviera.) And, port wise, we like Grand Cayman and wanted to see Castaway Cay.

Maybe someday in the future we’ll give DCL another chance. The thing is, the entertainment, fireworks, and Disney name don’t mean enough to us to sacrifice all the other things we love about cruising, ie, the food, the time to read, exercising (though the Dream gym was great), and even lectures..though we knew on this cruise that there probably wouldn’t be any.

But reading about your experience on the Dream cruise proceeding ours is totally fascinating for us. I wish the cards had fallen in such a way that we were on the Magic or Wonder, since the outcome would have been more successful. But to book a DCL cruise again, I’m going to have to convince myself that we’re not throwing good money after bad, and right now that seems like a pretty tall order.

How do you find out how full a ship is?

We are on the Magic for a cruise the same week as the inaugural Fantasy to lighthouse pointe cruise - so when I started looking for a low key cruise ON my birthday, the choice was clear - plus the Fantasy was more than double the price of the magic for just two days extra days - like $4800 for a 7a on the magic (secret porthole) to well over $10k for the cheapest verandah on the fantasy I think.

Now I am looking at availability at 33 days out and it looks like every aft category 11 is unbooked, a handful of cat 10's are not booked (including 5022 and 5024, last minute secret porthole?!?) and a ton of verandah rooms of all categories except 6a and 7a which are GTY, and then also regular GTY for about $1k less (would anyone book a 7A and 6A gty for $1k more than the regular GTY?)

Anyway I am wondering how full we are going to end up being. I would say just looking at the rooms maybe 2/3 full as of now but that's just poking around. How did you actually find out? just ask a crew? Nosy minds want to know! I'm hearing you saying 1300 is heavenly and wondering if that's about where we'll fall!
That’s about the length of time before we booked last May’s 8-night Southern Caribbean on the Magic. Got a good price for an OGT. But there were no cabins available when we boarded. Guessing other people snagged the reduced rates, too - and perhaps Cast Members got a good offer.

Typically, ask Guest Services or an officer for the numbers.

I am so glad to hear that. We are just over a month away from my 50th birthday adult only cruise on the magic. I haven't been on her since 2005, I'm guessing all of the post drydock issues have been worked out by now? :)
Yes. Everything worked fine.

You can't really find out exactly how full a ship is before it sails. If a discount rate (*GT) comes out, that is a good sign. Our cruise last week never ever went on sale--I checked weekly.
We usually ask on board how many guests there are.
In the case of our cruise last year on the Magic, there was a Disney+ special, with kids free... so if you add 2 kids to each stateroom, that's nearly 2000 guests. On the longer cruises, there are more cabins with just 2 adults per cabin. So number of rooms available isn't always a clue.

Yes. Everything worked fine.
Can you tell me what time the fireworks were on your cruise? I saw some in winter were at 8pm and freaked out and changed my Palo reservation. We're doing a later dinner regardless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter