• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Disappointing Stay at BWV 2 BDRM (here now)

lilpooh108

DIS Veteran
Will preface this short "review" by saying that we've otherwise had an awesome time at Food & Wine, MK and all of the restaurants this week. We are, however, truly disappointed and slightly grossed out by our first stay at BWV.

Checked in on Sunday and was pleasantly surprised by being greeted by a CM (by our name) at the door :thumbsup2 It was a great start...unfortunately...it went downhill from there. We have a 2bdrm on the 3rd floor, quiet pool view. Here's a reader's digest version of the problems we're having/have been having:

--Smoke in the master bathroom--immediately upon opening the door to the 1 bdrm side of the unit, we were greeted by a strong smell of smoke. I went into the shower/toilet room of the master bathroom and it was clear that the guest in the room immediately before us had JUST smoked in there. It was disgusting and the smoke smell (compounded with a slightly sweet cigar like smell) was traveling in and out of the vent.

We asked housekeeping twice throughout the 4 night stay to try to eliminate the odor. Nothing helped. We were informed that we couldn't be moved. We finally asked the front desk to inform engineering that this problem should be solved for the next guest after we check out.

--Unclean studio side bathroom--there is an overpowering smell of stale urine inside the bathroom. The floor and walls look clean, but the smell is obvious. Maybe a little kid peed in the corner somewhere? Also, the clothes drying line is black with debris and lord knows what else.

--Backed up shower/toilet/sink-- the shower drain had been slow since we checked in. However, on the 4th night of our stay (tonight), the sink backed up and the toilet backed up and overflowed. Needless to say, gross. Engineering took a long while to get here to fix it. Housekeeping "cleaned" it up by picking up the soaked towels, spraying down the floor (but not the toilet) and handing me a stack of towels to line the floor. Classy.

--Mold/mildew in the shower--not on the tiles (though there is some), but on the ridge of the shower where you would put the shampoo/conditioner. I wonder how mousekeeping can miss this?

--Dirty carpeting in master bedroom--I understand normal wear and tear and even stains here and there. Near the headboard, there are toe nail clippings and other random debris from prior guests.

--HVAC blows hot & cold, literally. We have the A/C on. Sometimes the air comes out hot, sometimes cold. :confused3 Not really a problem, but kind of annoying.

I'm surprised that BWV has been recently refurbished. The common areas and hallway carpets look nice...but when we looked closely at the room details the cleaniness just isn't up to par. We've stayed at AKV (Kidani & Jambo) a few times, and Wilderness Lodge. We've never had problems like these :sick:.

We love the BWV theme, proximity to Epcot and general atmosphere. We're willing to give BWV another try (especially b/c we have a small contract there), but it is hard to swallow paying points for a 2bdrm preferred when I know that we can/will/have had a better & cleaner experience elsewhere. Leaving tomorrow for our cruise...looking forward to a clean cabin ;)

Wow, I'm sorry to hear the room isn't very nice. :( It's good that you informed the front desk, even though it doesn't sound like they were incredibly helpful. I hope you have a very nice cruise and that the room will be clean and comfortable!

I am sorry that you had such an awful stay. We have stayed at Jambo house and SSR (paddock) and loved both places. Hopefully we will get to try BWV and will have a better experience.

Oh that's awful! I couldn't have dealt with the smoke smell...I would have been sleeping in the lobby until they found something else for me.

I just had such a nice one night studio stay there ini September, falling madly in love with BWV (a complete surprise to me!!!!!!), that it's hard to out your stay and my stay together. Although those lockoff rooms are NOT soundproof, we dealt with some family (saw them the next morning and was surprised since they sounded like, well, not a family, that's for sure!) in the one bedroom part talking and yelling rather late into the night. SO the place isn't perfect, that's for sure.

Hope your cruise is amazing!!!!

It depends on your definition of recent, but BWV HAS just been recently refurbished - in the last few years.

But I'm sorry for all the negatives you're experiencing.

Our stay in a standard studio for 1 week at the end of September was awesome!

I'm sorry you had a problem. I do hope you give it another chance!

I don't blame you one bit for being disappointed. DH has COPD and I don't know what we would have done in your shoes.
It is ironic to read this thread because we are also at BWV right now and I stopped a mousekeeping supervisor to comment on how beautifully clean all or our rooms were on this trip (a GV, a 2 bedroom and 2 - 1 bedrooms). I guess we just got lucky!

I also just returned from a wonderful stay and my studio was in great shape! Sorry to hear about your problems.

We just stayed in a Studio at BWV last month. The room was in pretty good shape. But the air filter in the wall was beyond disgusting :sick:

Will preface this short "review" by saying that we've otherwise had an awesome time at Food & Wine, MK and all of the restaurants this week. We are, however, truly disappointed and slightly grossed out by our first stay at BWV.

Checked in on Sunday and was pleasantly surprised by being greeted by a CM (by our name) at the door :thumbsup2 It was a great start...unfortunately...it went downhill from there. We have a 2bdrm on the 3rd floor, quiet pool view. Here's a reader's digest version of the problems we're having/have been having:

--Smoke in the master bathroom--immediately upon opening the door to the 1 bdrm side of the unit, we were greeted by a strong smell of smoke. I went into the shower/toilet room of the master bathroom and it was clear that the guest in the room immediately before us had JUST smoked in there. It was disgusting and the smoke smell (compounded with a slightly sweet cigar like smell) was traveling in and out of the vent.

We asked housekeeping twice throughout the 4 night stay to try to eliminate the odor. Nothing helped. We were informed that we couldn't be moved. We finally asked the front desk to inform engineering that this problem should be solved for the next guest after we check out.

--Unclean studio side bathroom--there is an overpowering smell of stale urine inside the bathroom. The floor and walls look clean, but the smell is obvious. Maybe a little kid peed in the corner somewhere? Also, the clothes drying line is black with debris and lord knows what else.

--Backed up shower/toilet/sink-- the shower drain had been slow since we checked in. However, on the 4th night of our stay (tonight), the sink backed up and the toilet backed up and overflowed. Needless to say, gross. Engineering took a long while to get here to fix it. Housekeeping "cleaned" it up by picking up the soaked towels, spraying down the floor (but not the toilet) and handing me a stack of towels to line the floor. Classy.

--Mold/mildew in the shower--not on the tiles (though there is some), but on the ridge of the shower where you would put the shampoo/conditioner. I wonder how mousekeeping can miss this?

--Dirty carpeting in master bedroom--I understand normal wear and tear and even stains here and there. Near the headboard, there are toe nail clippings and other random debris from prior guests.

--HVAC blows hot & cold, literally. We have the A/C on. Sometimes the air comes out hot, sometimes cold. :confused3 Not really a problem, but kind of annoying.

I'm surprised that BWV has been recently refurbished. The common areas and hallway carpets look nice...but when we looked closely at the room details the cleaniness just isn't up to par. We've stayed at AKV (Kidani & Jambo) a few times, and Wilderness Lodge. We've never had problems like these :sick:.

We love the BWV theme, proximity to Epcot and general atmosphere. We're willing to give BWV another try (especially b/c we have a small contract there), but it is hard to swallow paying points for a 2bdrm preferred when I know that we can/will/have had a better & cleaner experience elsewhere. Leaving tomorrow for our cruise...looking forward to a clean cabin ;)

Please forward your experience to DVC Member Satisfaction. According to them they get room issue reports once in a while but not enough to indicate that there is a problem. The resorts never share the info with the DVC so the only way that they know that something is wrong is if we tell them.

dvcmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com

:earsboy: Bill

I'd have called and called and called and called til I had the manager in the room. Been staying at the BW since 1999, never once had a problem, but if I did, that's exactly what I'd do. Front desk employees should have bumped this up with first priority to the manager. If I didn't hear from a manager within 15 minutes of my first complaint, I'd been in his face. There is absolutely no reason why any guest should have to tolerate a moment of unsanitary conditions, and the strong smell of urine and smoke, that's unsanitary.

I suggest you write to disney vacation club membership satisfication and complain to the nines:woohoo:

I'd have called and called and called and called til I had the manager in the room. Been staying at the BW since 1999, never once had a problem, but if I did, that's exactly what I'd do. Front desk employees should have bumped this up with first priority to the manager. If I didn't hear from a manager within 15 minutes of my first complaint, I'd been in his face. There is absolutely no reason why any guest should have to tolerate a moment of unsanitary conditions, and the strong smell of urine and smoke, that's unsanitary.

I suggest you write to disney vacation club membership satisfication and complain to the nines:woohoo:

I'm sure the OP actually went to the desk... FYI, calling doesn't get you to the front desk, it just gets you to a call center that pretends they are at the front desk. Gotta go up there for results.

I'm sure the OP actually went to the desk... FYI, calling doesn't get you to the front desk, it just gets you to a call center that pretends they are at the front desk. Gotta go up there for results.

I meant it figuratively. My point was to get a manager to come to the room.....

Another housekeeping tale of woe rears its head. I feel like there are more and more of these reports. Since our MF's go towards cleaning the rooms, are we entitled to a certain "reasonable expectation"?

We had problems in August, both at Jambo when we were only there one night, and at BWV where we ended up in a room that was half clean, half filthy.

Is the simple answer that a near perfect system would cost that much more money? How can we reconcile that with reports on another current thread with story after story of people walking in and seeing CM's sitting and watching TV or having lunch?

OP, sorry to hear about all those issues. It's not what you signed up for. I would make sure you follow up and voice your complaint. Have a great cruise.

We just checked out this past Sunday from BWV. Had a 2BR standard view (phew, we weren't in your rooms!). 3125/3127 - thought everything was great. No mold in any showers, everything mostly in working order.

Our issues (already reported to member satisfaction):
  • plate glass in cabinet doors over kitchenette fell out because clips were busted, nearly sliced my wrist catching it
  • tub spout is pulling away from wall in studio, 3/8" or so from wall - may cause water damage if not addressed
  • slow drain in 1BR shower
  • Toaster didn't stay down in 1BR kitchen
  • Dryer timer didn't move unless on "cool down"

That was it. We sent a note when we got home since it didn't diminish our stay. Hopefully those things are fixed for the next guest.

Our BLT room was also mostly great. Our really odd issues there were:
  • Slow drain in main bath of 1BR
  • Coffee pot kept shutting itself off, had to hold it in on position
  • Door stops were bent/missing throughout?? they're screwed into the concrete, I don't understand how this happens

We again sent a note to member satisfaction about it. Didn't hamper our stay. Though if someone swings the entry door open with any force it will go through the glass of the sliding bath door since the stop is gone.

We just checked out this past Sunday from BWV. Had a 2BR standard view (phew, we weren't in your rooms!). 3125/3127 - thought everything was great. No mold in any showers, everything mostly in working order.

Our issues (already reported to member satisfaction):
  • plate glass in cabinet doors over kitchenette fell out because clips were busted, nearly sliced my wrist catching it
  • tub spout is pulling away from wall in studio, 3/8" or so from wall - may cause water damage if not addressed
  • slow drain in 1BR shower
  • Toaster didn't stay down in 1BR kitchen
  • Dryer timer didn't move unless on "cool down"

That was it. We sent a note when we got home since it didn't diminish our stay. Hopefully those things are fixed for the next guest.

Our BLT room was also mostly great. Our really odd issues there were:
  • Slow drain in main bath of 1BR
  • Coffee pot kept shutting itself off, had to hold it in on position
  • Door stops were bent/missing throughout?? they're screwed into the concrete, I don't understand how this happens

We again sent a note to member satisfaction about it. Didn't hamper our stay. Though if someone swings the entry door open with any force it will go through the glass of the sliding bath door since the stop is gone.

Bent door stops, kids riding around in units on scooters, I have seen it several times, saw kid riding one through a dvc villa like it was bumpem cars

We recently returned from a BLT/BWV split stay. Our BLT room absolutely reeked of cigarette smoke. We asked to be moved and they were able to accomodate us. No issues at BWV except the room was showing some wear and tear. We stayed at BWI last year and the rooms there are sooo much nicer. I really wish they would do something about upgrading the bedding in the BWV and BCV rooms, those bed spreads have got to go.

We recently returned from a BLT/BWV split stay. Our BLT room absolutely reeked of cigarette smoke. We asked to be moved and they were able to accomodate us. No issues at BWV except the room was showing some wear and tear. We stayed at BWI last year and the rooms there are sooo much nicer. I really wish they would do something about upgrading the bedding in the BWV and BCV rooms, those bed spreads have got to go.

I second the motion for removal of the bedspreads. Wouldn't no spreadspreads be cheaper? Just a duvet on top with coordinating color piece over it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter