Disclosure Needed for Podcast Cruise

BWV Dreamin

DIS Veteran
After speaking with Dreams Unlimited, getting my cash quote for the Podcast Cruise, I was informed that not only to get the discounts for the cruise, ONLY PARTICIPANTS WHO PAID IN CASH COULD PARTICIPATE IN THE PODCAST EVENTS! Now, I can understand having to use cash for the room discounts, but no where on this site, or Podcasts site does it say only cash cruiseres can participate in the Podcast events. I find this highly discriminatory against DVC member who wish to use points for the cruise. Hopefully, a mod or Podcast member can clarify these terms. I will also be emailing the Podcast team with this same info, whom I spoke with at Dreams Unlimited, and her supervisor that she checked with. A disclosure should be made on the Podcast shows.

I do not know about this cruise but have forwarded the thread to John so that he has the opportunity to address your concerns.

When I was checking out this special cruise the other day, I did read about needing to use Dreams Unlimited to secure the special benifits. The disclosure I saw was on the link for the sample pricing for the cruise so I am not sure if they had it anywhere else, sorry.

The wording was:
"You have to book through Dreams Unlimited Travel to get these rates and shipboard credits and to be invited to any PodCast events."

Here is the link to where I read it:
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=22490144&postcount=64

True, but it is on the Disney Cruise Line. I know of no other cruises that excluded passengers that pay with points vs. pay with cash. If so, please list them. They need to clearly state that the EVENTS will not be available unless booked with cash, not just room discounts.

True, but it is on the Disney Cruise Line. I know of no other cruises that excluded passengers that pay with points vs. pay with cash. If so, please list them. They need to clearly state that the EVENTS will not be available unless booked with cash, not just room discounts.

Im not sure if this question was directed at my posting or not. But it does appear from the info I found that it is stating you will not be able to join in the PodCast events too, unless you book thru Dreams.
I would imagine the events are solely being paid for by Dreams so that is the reason they have the right to exclude people who didnt book thru their service. DCL is likely not footing any part of the cost. It is just a perk for booking with them.

I would imagine the events are solely being paid for by Dreams so that is the reason they have the right to exclude people who didnt book thru their service. DCL is likely not footing any part of the cost. It is just a perk for booking with them.

Exactly. This is not a DCL event, it is a DU event. It's no different than any other company paying to have a function onboard. If you aren't affiliated with that company you don't get to participate in their events.

Thanks for your info....I still don't think it is clearly stated. But I hope this does not start to become a regular occurance. Very deceptive I think.

Hi BWV Dreamin

I just checked this weeks show and at about 5:50 in we do say that you have to book with Dreams Unlimited Travel to participate in the events related to the podcast.

One way to think if it....Disney has a DVC Member cruise. They require that you book with DVC points to attend the events and get the goodies from that cruise. I own DVC but I can get a great price booking the cruise on my own. If I do that and do not use DVC points I cannot attend the events or get the goodies that folks who booked with points get.

Have you considered renting you DVC points and using the money from that to book the cruise? I did a little research and you will actualy make money doing it this way. Here are some examples:

- DVC points needed for 2 adults in a category 6 stateroom for this criuse = 344
- Renting 344 points at a conservative $10 per point = $3,440.00
- Dreams Unlimited price for 2 adults in category 6 stateroom for this sail date = $2,262.96
- $3,440.00 - $2,262.96 = $1,177.04
- By renting your points and booking through Dreams Unlimited Travel you actually MAKE $1,177.04 by doing this PLUS you get a $100 shipboard credit

OR

- DVC points needed for 2 adults in a category 10 stateroom for this criuse = 238
- Renting 238 points at a conservative $10 per point = $2,380.00
- Dreams Unlimited price for 2 adults in category 10 stateroom for this sail date = $1,542.96
- $2,380.00 - $1,542.96 = $837.04
- By renting your points and booking through Dreams Unlimited Travel you actually MAKE $837.04 by doing this PLUS you get a $50 shipboard credit

As a listener to our podcast you know I am a huge fan of DVC. I have been a member for many years now and I love the resorts and think it is a great way for families to afford to come back to Disney year after year. However, as I have mentioned many times, I do not believe the point value of cruises is fair when compared to current pricing and I always suggest renting your points and use the cash to buy your cruise.

I hope this helps.

Thanks
John

Well John, I was going to use points AND CASH. So where would that leave me? Only one member of the group can go to the events? Cash is cash, even if its not through Dreams Unlimited....heck, we wouldn't even get the discount! No, Mousefest has a cruise, you can book using points or cash, no exclusion. What other cruises on Disney exclude points members? DVC gifts are not the same as not being able to participate on an event....so Dreams Unlimited could give gifts to their cash members. Don't see it John, very deceptive, and I hope these types of cruises don't start to emerge where patrons are excluded, one way or the other.

Hi BWV Dreamin
One way to think if it....Disney has a DVC Member cruise. They require that you book with DVC points to attend the events and get the goodies from that cruise. I own DVC but I can get a great price booking the cruise on my own. If I do that and do not use DVC points I cannot attend the events or get the goodies that folks who booked with points get.

Not to be contrary, but Disney Vacation Club charters that entire sailing (i.e. no Non DVC cruisers are onboard), and DVC members get the perks regardless of it they pay using points, or cash.

That being said, I agree with the decision in principle, if DU is sponsering the event, then certainly it is reasonable that DU gets money for it. Perhaps some kind of comprimise can be reached, for those people who want to go on the cruise using their DVC points, where there could be a certain number of tickets available for purchase for people who are not booking through DU?:confused3

Back to lurking...

Well John, I was going to use points AND CASH. So where would that leave me? Only one member of the group can go to the events? Cash is cash, even if its not through Dreams Unlimited....heck, we wouldn't even get the discount! No, Mousefest has a cruise, you can book using points or cash, no exclusion. What other cruises on Disney exclude points members? DVC gifts are not the same as not being able to participate on an event....so Dreams Unlimited could give gifts to their cash members. Don't see it John, very deceptive, and I hope these types of cruises don't start to emerge where patrons are excluded, one way or the other.

Actually MouseFanTravel is doing one this year. http://www.allearsnet.com/cruise/debsteve.htm

To quote from the site:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IMPORTANT: There has been some confusion on the message boards about this, so please read carefully. Due to the nature of this special sailing with Deb and Steve ONLY FOLKS WHO BOOK WITH MouseFanTravel will be able to attend the special meets and events. Deb and Steve will not be hosting any "open to the general public" meets. A special event lanyard will be required for event attendance. Thanks for understanding.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Enjoy daily meets with Deb & Steve that are available only to those who book in this group. [/FONT]

DVC Chris is correct that the DVC Member Cruise is a charter so goes under different rules. You can pay with cash or points but cannot book that cruise except through DVC.

Actually MouseFanTravel is doing one this year. http://www.allearsnet.com/cruise/debsteve.htm

To quote from the site:

DVC Chris is correct that the DVC Member Cruise is a charter so goes under different rules. You can pay with cash or points but cannot book that cruise except through DVC.

Thanks for your info, I did not see the above notice. Well obviously, this is a change. Maybe a disclosure such as above should be posted for the Podcast Cruise as well.

Not to be contrary, but Disney Vacation Club charters that entire sailing (i.e. no Non DVC cruisers are onboard), and DVC members get the perks regardless of it they pay using points, or cash.

That being said, I agree with the decision in principle, if DU is sponsering the event, then certainly it is reasonable that DU gets money for it. Perhaps some kind of comprimise can be reached, for those people who want to go on the cruise using their DVC points, where there could be a certain number of tickets available for purchase for people who are not booking through DU?:confused3

Back to lurking...

Good thought, and yes there should be some inclusions for DVC members.

Rather than have two threads about the same topic on two different boards, I'm moving this to the DIS Unplugged board. :)

OP already posted the same thread to the DIS Unplugged board...so now there are two exact threads running from the same person. Plus the original post by OP was also included in other threads running on the same board. Is there a way to merge all of them as it's getting very confusing!

Why? This cruise has absolutely nothing to do with being a DVC member. :confused3

That is not the point. By being a member, we can use our points towards cruises. Any cruise on the Disney Cruise line. We have in fact already "paid for " the cruise by using points. By excluding DVC members, you exclude one of the benefits established by Disney. Yes, we can cruise, but will be excluded from "any special event" so deemed by those forcing reservations by cash or by Travel Agency. I would think this is a big conflict of interest, and thus should be disclosed by someone, either the Cruise Line, the event holder, or Disney.

Okay...say you used your points to book a Disney cruise. While on the cruise you see that a company (let's say ACME Corp.-- just as an example) has scheduled some private gatherings for it's employees/customers/etc. that are on the cruise. Do you honestly feel that you should be entitled to go to those events because you are a DVC member that is on a Disney cruise?

I really don't want to start a fight as I understand you feel very strongly about this, but just because you want to use points...well that's between you and member services, it really has nothing to do with Dreams Unlimited.

Originally Posted by DVC_Chris
Hi BWV Dreamin

I think we are just talking about symantecs here. You still have to pay with 'cash' through DVC if you don't want to/can't use points for the DVC member cruise. I am not given the choice to book the DVC member cruise NOT through DVC to attend the events. A DVC member cannot book that cruise through Dreams Unlimited Travel, or DCL directly, or any other TA and attend the events on that cruise.

Also there seems to be some sticking point with the wording of having to pay with 'cash'. If you book through Dreams Unlimited Travel you do not have to pay for your cruise in cash - you can use a credit card. You do not need to physically pay with cash. Not sure if that's one of the issues here but thought it was worth mentioning.

Now, I must say, I really take exception at being called 'deceptive'. As I said, the disclaimer that the cruise has to be booked through Dreams Unlimited Travel to attend the podcast events was mentioned both in the podcast and on the podcast page on our site. I beleive this was revealed as soon as we mentioned any details about the cruise.

Here's the deal - Dreams Unlimited Travel will be sponsoring the podcast events on the cruise as well as providing all give-aways. In addition, Dreams Unlimited Travel will also be giving away several staterooms on this sailing as prizes through the podcast.

Dreams Unlimited Travel has held group space in advance on this sail date to secure the best rate possible. In addition, booking this as group space will allow us to have special events on the ship. Other TA's do this all the time - as mentioned on this thread and in others - if you want to attend certain functions and parties on the ship you have to book through that TA. The rest of the ship is open to you and everyone. So if there are other events or gatherings being held by other DISers you are welcome to attend those (as long as you get permission from the people hosting) but if you specifically want to attend the DISUnplugged events on this sailing you have to book through Dreams Unlimited Travel.

I don't know the specifics of your booking BWV Dreamin but I have to assume that my logic holds for one person using DVC points versus two people.

DVC points and the price of the cruise is based on double occupancy - so renting just the points the one person was going to use and using that towards booking with DU would work just as well. I don't know what DVC quoted you for the second persons price who is not using DVC points but I have to beleive DU's price is less.

Let's see if I can make the numbers work with just one person using DVC points (I think you all just want to see how much math it takes before my brain explodes):

I just called DVC and got the following info:
- DVC points for one person = 119
- Price for second person not using DVC points = $776.50 + $95 exchange fee = $871.50

Based on my logic from before.....

- Renting 119 points at a conservative $10 per point = $1,119.00
- Dreams Unlimited price for 2 adults in category 10 stateroom for this sail date = $1,542.96
- That makes the price per person = $771.48 (again based on double occupancy, 2 adults)
- $1,119.00 - $771.48 = $347.52
- By renting your points and booking through Dreams Unlimited Travel you actually MAKE $347.52

Now, let's look at the second person using cash............

- The second person in the stateroom booking through DU pays $771.48
- The second person in the stateroom booking through DVC pays $871.50
- The second person saves $100.02 by booking with DU
- You make $347.52 renting your points and booking with DU - the second person saves $100.02 by booking with DU - plus you get a $50 SBC

I am not trying to be difficult - just offer you a solution.

Thanks
John

I have a scenario that I hope might clear this up.

Lets say you are staying in a DVC resort and you booked this with your DVC points.

You find out that there is a wedding reception being held at the resort.

Just because you used your DVC points (that you have already paid for) and it's a DVC resort, doesnt entitle you to attend the wedding reception.

You are entitled to use your DVC points on the Disney Cruise. Thats not in question. You are not being discriminated against.

The DIS Podcast events are not Disney or DVC sponsored. They are sponsored and paid for by the DIS. In order to attend these events, you need to book through Dreams Unlimited Travel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter