Discounted Annual Passes

So is my logic correct on the renewal... renewing a PAP must be done with PAP the following time (not able to downgrade to an AP)?
Based on what I've read over on the Theme Parks forum, when it comes time to renew you can choose to get an AP rather than a PAP. You are not locked in to renewing it as a PAP.

So is my logic correct on the renewal... renewing a PAP must be done with PAP the following time (not able to downgrade to an AP)?

At time of renewal you can renew to an AP at the DVC discount rate for the AP. Regardless of whether you have AP or PAP you can always renew to the other one.

I don't know how much you shop but a PAP gets you a 20% discount on merchandise. We saved $100 this trip.

Dsneygirl, does that 20% merchandise discount apply to all the on-site Disney stores or does it exclude certain places like those in the parks?

Shopping is not a huge priority for us, but thanks for pointing this out. Something to take into consideration.

I just bought in too (VWL REPRESENT!) and I had the same question. I called the pass hotline and talked to a CM who said that you can only renew from a PAP to a PAP, and you cannot downgrade. If you want to drop to a regular AP after the first year then you pay the full DVC member price (currently $452).

That said, in November we plan on buying 4 PAPs at the $399 rate, enjoying 20 days @ Disney (9 in Jan, and 11 in Dec) and just purchasing regular APs when the PAPs expire.

For people who have regular APs or even DVC members who have existing APs it doesn't make sense to upgrade unless you plan on doing all the extra things that you get with the PAP anyway.

Dsneygirl, does that 20% merchandise discount apply to all the on-site Disney stores or does it exclude certain places like those in the parks?

I have no idea. We used it at the hotel store, in World Showcase and the huge store at Epcot. I think it's most locations. (Not participating places like Build a Dino or Lego though maybe) I used it on a gorgeous helly hansen jacket from Norway.

dsneygirl said:
I have no idea. We used it at the hotel store, in World Showcase and the huge store at Epcot. I think it's most locations. (Not participating places like Build a Dino or Lego though maybe) I used it on a gorgeous helly hansen jacket from Norway.

Off the subject but I love the Helly Hanson merchandise at Norway.

I just bought in too (VWL REPRESENT!) and I had the same question. I called the pass hotline and talked to a CM who said that you can only renew from a PAP to a PAP, and you cannot downgrade. If you want to drop to a regular AP after the first year then you pay the full DVC member price (currently $452).

That is incorrect from everything I have ever read from Cheshire Figment, who is the one who knows.

That is incorrect from everything I have ever read from Cheshire Figment, who is the one who knows.
Okay. On last friday (28-SEP-12) I called (407) 560-PASS, spoke with a cast member asking that exact question. I wanted to get the PAP at the $399 rate, use it for this year, then downgrade to the AP at the "renewal" rate instead of paying the full "DVC member" new purchase rate. They said that they are only allowed to do renewals on same type passes, but that I would be able to purchase a regular AP at the DVC discounted purchase rate, but not the renewal rate. I asked if there were any other options and she put me on hold, checked with some other people, then came back and said that there were no other options and that their system won't allow them the option to do a renewal from a PAP to an AP.

So, either the cast member was incorrect, or Cheshire Figment has a special formula to make this work that I've not found anywhere else.

Just got a regular AP for our mid Sept trip (just got back)...

So, I would need to buy the voucher before year end this year, to use when this one expires, and I must activate the new PAP by 12-31-13,

Do I have this figured out correctly?

thanks!

Shopping is not a huge priority for us, but thanks for pointing this out. Something to take into consideration.

not correct.....

I have gone from Premium to regular to Premier back to regular. No big deal

And the CM on the phone is clueless. The renewal can be ANY of the APs. Now if you renew to a Premier no discount, but when I went from Premier to regular AP in 2011 no issue and got the discount...

not correct.....

I have gone from Premium to regular to Premier back to regular. No big deal

And the CM on the phone is clueless. The renewal can be ANY of the APs. Now if you renew to a Premier no discount, but when I went from Premier to regular AP in 2011 no issue and got the discount...

Good to know. How do you do this then? Via phone? I ask because we're purchasing ours next month.

Has anyone purchased the PAP at the special rate at the gate yet? I was planning on just getting it on the day we arrive at the Int'l Gateway at Epcot. I just wanted to see if things were going smoothly and the CM's are all informed. I've got a group of 10 waiting on my and DH that day as we will be the only one's who didn't prepurchase our passes. For once procrastination paid off!

thanks,
Cathy

Good to know. How do you do this then? Via phone? I ask because we're purchasing ours next month.

All AP purchases and renewals must be done in person, unless you are purchasing a voucher. And then you have to take the voucher to the window in person to get a live AP or renewed AP.

All AP purchases and renewals must be done in person, unless you are purchasing a voucher. And then you have to take the voucher to the window in person to get a live AP or renewed AP.

That's what I was going to do - just get the voucher. Do I call MS for that since it's a DVC discounted PAP?

That's what I was going to do - just get the voucher. Do I call MS for that since it's a DVC discounted PAP?

You can purchase a voucher through Member Services and have it for will call to pick up at the parks or DTD.

I am so glad that I found this thread! We are in the process of selling our house and moving to the Orlando area hopefully by the end of the year and have promised both DS that as their rewards for working so hard in getting our house ready that we will buy them PAPs as they have asked many times to go to the water parks and they have never been. DS16 and I have APs that will expire at the end of January so I had planned on just upgrading at the time and then purchase PAP for DH and DS12.

I love the DIS!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter