Disney Aulani and ROFR question: Anybody lost a DVC Aulani contract before?

Great3

DIS Veteran
Hello All,

I been lurking for many years reading about all things Disney, so thanks for this great forum.

I finally decide to purchase Disney Aulani and I am starting with a small 100 points subsidized contract. It is currently being sent for ROFR with DVC (makes me nervous thinking about it). In looking thru all the various ROFR threads I could find, it appears to me nobody ever had Aulani taken by ROFR before. ROFR appears to be really active for WDW resorts, but not Aulani.

Just wondering if anybody with Aulani lost a contract before to DVC ROFR?

I already own 3 other timeshares, with HGVC, WorldMark, and Silver Lake Resort in the last 5 years, and been considering DVC ever since. DVC was just too expensive back than (in my view point), because 100 points don't even get you a full week in a studio in Aulani (don't even talk about a 1 bedroom unit that I prefer staying in with a kitchen), that's why I been delaying the purchase for so long. I just couldn't seem to justify the cost of DVC back than.

Fast forward to today, I find that I mainly use my HGVC at Hilton Lagoon tower, and always found one week to not be enough, and usually wanted 10 days or longer for such a long flight. Plus it was always cheaper to fly back on a Mon/Tues/Wed than on the weekends if you do an exactly 1 week trip. I would always supplement my stays at hotels for last 3-4 nights in the past, but always felt nickeled and dimed with the resort fees and parking fees in Oahu. Plus, I finally got over the fact that I can live with just a microwave and small fridge the last few nights in a Studio, at least it will better than just a hotel room. I finally did the math, and decided Disney Aulani is for me, as I understand you get free parking as a DVC member, and no resort fees (just TOT tax that is everywhere for Hawaii). Plus, I have traded in the Marriott's Ko Olina before, and every time I walked thru Aulani, I always envied the people who get to use the lazy river. I always told myself one day I will get to use those pools in Aulani somehow. Now I am finally one step closer to achieving this dream!!!

Just like Tugbbs, I am just so glad to know about this forum to learn so much from everybody before making a purchase. Funny thing is, I never knew *********** forum also existed for all things DVC until last week after I finally made an offer to purchase, so now I am busy reading all the content on that forum as well.

So, wish me luck on a dream come true, and hopefully I pass ROFR. Will report back when I do. So, what's been your experience with ROFR and Aulani?

Thanks,
Great3

Last edited:
Given that they still haven’t sold out all of their Aulani points, I can’t imagine why they would take a resale one in ROFR unless it was really egregiously low.

Given that they still haven’t sold out all of their Aulani points, I can’t imagine why they would take a resale one in ROFR unless it was really egregiously low.

Sorry I forgot to mention the price per point I will be paying. In my excitement and haste, I realize I didn't post the details. I am paying $104 per point plus closing costs. I don't think it's too low, but it's still nerve racking waiting.

If it's a normal Aulani contract, I wouldn't be as nervous because I know there's plenty of those. But subsidized contracts are hard to come by, and I waited a long time for one that I feel is priced right (for me), at the cost of not meeting the Jan. 19th deadline / change of not being able to book future DVC if not purchased direct. Oh well, I feel in the long term, a subsidized contract will save me more than the value of being able to book future DVC resorts. As long as DVC keeps on building in WDW, I don't feel that is much of a lost, but if they ever expand further in Hawaii or into the Caribbean Islands, I know am going feel some regret later. Not to hijack my own original thread, so I guess that's another topic for later, if anybody think DVC will expand to other locations besides the theme parks (WDW and Disneyland) areas.

Great3

While we can never predict what the ROFR Drunken Monkey will do, I'd say you're safe at that price point. I had been tracking Aulani for a while and couldn't find any references to them being taken.

Thanks everybody for your information. I of course will just wait patiently and nervously now :). I will report back what happens when I get the ROFR result. The broker informed me it was submitted Fri. March 1st, so maybe 15-20 days to go.

Last edited:
Well, that was quicker than expected. I am happy to report today, I got notification from my broker that my contract for Aulani passed ROFR. Now just waiting on estoppel and closing. Super excited!!!

History: I made offer on Feb. 28th, seller and I each countered one time, and than seller accept at $104 that day. We both signed contact same day, and it was submitted to DVC for ROFR review on next day on March 1st. Today, March 12th, I passed ROFR, so about 12 days total (8 business days). Thanks, for listening (reading).

Great3

Last edited:
One resale company stated recently that they have not had a Aulani contract taken in over 2 years.

Last edited:

One resale company stated recently that they have not had a Aulani contract Taked in over 2 years.

And I am so glad they didn't decide my contract is the first one they need to take since they didn't exercise ROFR for a long time, to make an example out of me :)

Although I haven't close yet, I feel very good now that I pass ROFR already, but still won't count my eggs until it hatched.

Am I crazy, I am already thinking about putting in an offer for another Aulani contract after reading all the threads about the possibility of renting out the points to cover your Maintenance Fee's? That way, I can get a 1-bedroom like I always loved / wanted (that was what put me off purchasing DVC for so long originally because of buy-in cost versus what you can get for your points for the MFs - only studios at Aulani for 100 points contract and not even a full week). I am starting to envision enough points for a 1 bedroom for a whole week or a little bit more now, and just renting out what I don't need. Originally, my plan was just a studio for a few nights to replace hotel stays. Man oh man, the possibilities, and the dream just keep on getting bigger!!! I am going to have to think about it some more.

Great3

I am starting to envision enough points for a 1 bedroom for a whole week or a little bit more now, and just renting out what I don't need. Originally, my plan was just a studio for a few nights to replace hotel stays. Man oh man, the possibilities, and the dream just keep on getting bigger!!! I am going to have to think about it some more.

Great3
You might want to pump the brakes a bit on ever-increasing plans. What sounds like an initial plan to book a studio for a few days is snowballing into a whole week in a 1BR.

Mathematically, you’re talking about quadrupling your costs potentially. 1BRs, while nice, cost double what a studio equivalent does in most instances. Add on that you’re looking at a whole week, that’s quite the leap.

The evolution from studio to 1BR is a common change among DVC owners over time as the hedonic treadmill tends to push us to bigger and better; once you get a taste of that sweet, sweet 1BR, it’s game-over; but the red flag for me is that you’re talking about relying on renting your “extra” points to pay ADs.

The problem most owners tend to have is not having enough points. Given you just passed ROFR on a small studio-level contract and you have visions of week-long 1BRs dancing in your head should give you pause.

How much will power can you muster when those points are staring at you from the dashboard? And if you end up caving and booking those 1BR weeks, how will that factor into your plans to have rentals subsidize your addiction? What if the economy craters and suddenly the rental market is not as hot as it is right now?

Adding points is fun, paying the extra dues, not so much.

You might want to pump the brakes a bit on ever-increasing plans. What sounds like an initial plan to book a studio for a few days is snowballing into a whole week in a 1BR.

Mathematically, you’re talking about quadrupling your costs potentially. 1BRs, while nice, cost double what a studio equivalent does in most instances. Add on that you’re looking at a whole week, that’s quite the leap.

The evolution from studio to 1BR is a common change among DVC owners over time as the hedonic treadmill tends to push us to bigger and better; once you get a taste of that sweet, sweet 1BR, it’s game-over; but the red flag for me is that you’re talking about relying on renting your “extra” points to pay ADs.

The problem most owners tend to have is not having enough points. Given you just passed ROFR on a small studio-level contract and you have visions of week-long 1BRs dancing in your head should give you pause.

How much will power can you muster when those points are staring at you from the dashboard? And if you end up caving and booking those 1BR weeks, how will that factor into your plans to have rentals subsidize your addiction? What if the economy craters and suddenly the rental market is not as hot as it is right now?

Adding points is fun, paying the extra dues, not so much.

All good points Showei, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, and recommending pumping the brakes.

I will say this, I would never finance a timeshare, it's a luxury to live without if you can't pay cash, don't do it. At least that's the model I live by. For me, if I were to buy additional points, I am comfortable enough with the increased MF dues if I can't rent out the DVC points / or end up using it for myself (which is a good point, can I muster enough strength to resist the temptations with the points in front of me).

After thinking about this some more, I realize something very important, why I didn't buy DVC in the first place, and went with HGVC five years ago. If I really want to stay in Hawaii for longer than 1 week at a time, I am better off just buying additional HGVC deeds (which are much cheaper than DVC), simply because a 1-bedroom in HGVC cost as low as $650 in MF dues for low season to about $1100 for an Ocean View in high season.

As for Aulani, as of 2019 points chart, the lowest points 1-bedroom in the lowest Adventure season will still need about $1450 in MF dues, to about $2400 or more for a 1 bedroom Ocean view in Dream season. Also with HGVC, I have more choices in Hawaii than just Oahu. I am all about staying in accommodations as cheaply as possible, but still be nice (good enough and acceptable).

This brings me to the 2nd point, why I decided on DVC today for a small points contract, instead of HGVC. With HGVC, the rental market isn't as strong, plus I feel I need to use up all the HGVC points (that where the value is), but at this point, I don't have enough vacation time with the other 2 timeshares I have (Worldmark and Silver Lake). I felt that I can always bank DVC points (which is free - please correct me if I am wrong) for those years I can't use the DVC points. In HGVC, it cost to bank points, but free to borrow, so I make sure I am always in the borrowing state. If I add HGVC, I won't always be in the borrowing state, and most likely end up having to be banking points in the future (and costing me more money to do so).

At least with DVC, I can bank and use them up later, and if I really can't use them up, I can rent any remaining points I have. That was my justification of why I should buy DVC, even though HGVC is much cheaper.

Having said all that, I like the idea of renting to cover your DVC MF's, so I decided not to quadruple my DVC points to get into a 1 bedroom, but rather, I may just double it by getting another smaller 100-125 points contract sometime in the future. But I will first just test the waters out with my 1st DVC contract to see how hard it is to rent out Aulani, since I don't plan on going back to Oahu until 2021, I am thinking Big Island or Kauai next year 2020.

I do have one doubt, and that is, who would be willing to pay $17 a point or more to stay in Aulani, because I personally wouldn't. But from all my reading, it appears there many people who do and will pay for the Disney name and experience at that price point. So, this brings me back to my last point of why buy DVC, I am willing pay for Aulani for studios stay since it's cheaper compare to regular hotel stays, and you get much more than in a hotel stay.

And I will say it's game over for me, as far as studios versus 1 bedroom villas or larger is concerned. I have stayed in the HGVC Lagoon Tower 3-bedroom Ocean Front Penthouse Suite twice already with my HGVC ownership and know how nice it is, and all that at a cost of about $1650 in MFs dues. Thanks again for reminding me why I should add on in HGVC when I retire someday, as the money will stretch further, and than I can hop on over to DVC for a couple of nights in a studio just to enjoy something different and the pools/lazy river there. Again, thanks for your thoughts and comments, and for being concern and trying to make sure I can afford things before rushing in. While I can afford it, I don't want to afford it, all my purchases need to be justified to me.

Great3

Last edited:
Well Congrats Arctic Teacher!!! I guess everybody like to say "Welcome Home" here :), although every time it hear it, it cracks me up, making me laugh, I just don't know why.

Well, I just got a phone call from my broker / agent that they finally received the closing docs from the seller, and that the transaction / escrow is now closed. Now just need to wait for the deed to be recorded, DVC to transfer ownership to my name, and the points to show up.

Hope it all happens soon, because I would like to book for the long Thanksgiving weekend from check-in Thurs., Nov 28th to checkout Mon., Dec. 2nd. We at almost to going past the 7 months mark before I lose home resort advantage. Actually, by the time everything is said and done, it will probably be less than 7 months left.

Hopefully it will all work out.

Great3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter