Disney Birthday ideas for 2yo Boy

Alex2kMommy

<font color=purple>I'm going a little nutso myself
Our upcoming (April) trip coincides with my son's 2nd birthday. Do you have any ideas of what we can do to celebrate?

We will, of course, get the birthday sticker/button. I wasn't sure if the birthday bags/buckets were appropriate for such a young one, so was going to pass on that. Ditto on the Pat E. Cake thing. He doesn't really have a favorite Disney character yet (loves Elmo and anything his big brother likes!), and we aren't sure if the costumed characters will scare him or not.

DH thought we should do a special character dinner on his birthday. We're planning to do Goofy's Kitchen brunch earlier in the week, and I was thinking maybe Ariel's Grotto for his birthday dinner. (My guidebook says this is the only character dinner, is that right?) What other characters would be at Ariel's?

Also, his birthday is the same day that the park is supposed to be crowded due to expiring passes and special pricing deals. Is it likely to be so crowded at dinner that it's too overwhelming for a 2yo? Would someplace a little quieter be better?

Also, if you have any other ideas to help make his day extra-special, please let me know! Thank you! :sunny:

Alex2kMommy said:
(My guidebook says this is the only character dinner, is that right?) What other characters would be at Ariel's?
Ariel's only has princesses and the person who announces them (is he/she a character?). Unless he's into the princesses (Ariel, Princess Aurora, Cinderella, Mulan, and Jasmine were there when we went in Oct), I'd recommend Goofy's Kitche for dinner. It is a character dinner, we did it on our last trip. I actually prefer Goofy's Kitchen for dinner than breakfast.

Spending your birthday at disneyland sure is a great way to start another year of your life. Have a magical trip.

OK, thought I had the breakfast thing figured out, but may need to re-think; If we do Goofy's for dinner, I'd rather go somewhere else for breakfast earlier in the week. With two little boys, do you think Lilo & Stitch? DSnearly2 may prefer Princesses (face characters), but DS5 may object. He informed me the other day that he did NOT want his picture taken with Tinkerbell because "She is for girls!" (Whoa, when did that start?!)

Look for the other post today about the Happiest Birthdays on Earth! I think a two year old would probably think it was a blast, as well as his brother.

I have a picture of each of my kids in the same place at Disneyland, each taken on their 7th birthday. You might think about doing something like that...but you could do the same spot, same kid each trip?

At Goofy's Kitchen for breakfast you can get the birthday (something...cant remember what its called!) It is not the bucket and I think it is $7 additional for the entire table. They will then put balloons on the table, he will get a special birthday button, a foam puzzle that says something about a birthday at Goofy's, I think a party hat, and a cool chocolate cupcake and Happy Birthday sung by a character and some wait staff. Its cute, less expensive, fine for a 2 year old and gives the characters the heads up that it is a special occasion at your table.

We just got back yesterday and did the Chip N Dale character breakfast for my 6 year old DS birthday. It was great. The kids had a great time with the characters, we had extra seats at our table so Dale joined us for a little bit. The characters are all critters so none of the higher end ones but it didn't matter, the kids loved it. The food is excellent, best omlet I've ever had.

We also did the Princess lunch on Friday for my DD 4th birthday and the girls had a great time. The Princesses were sweet and took their time to talk to each of the kids, signed their books and took several photos.
We will do both of these again.

Snow Brite, this sounds different from the Goofy's birthday bag (or whatever they call it.) The bags would be fine, just didn't sound like there was much in there appropriate for a 2yo.

The puzzle, balloons, etc. you describe sound cute, thanks for the tip!

PS: Just read the post on the Happiest Birthday On Earth - That sounds fun for my 5yo, but wasn't sure about 2yo. Would he enjoy it? Would he even do the cake decorating? Would he just eat all the frosting and be sick the rest of the day? Still torn on that one... Has anybody done that with a 2yo, and if so, how did it go over?

If you are worried about the crowds in Disneyland, there is a Build a Bear in Downtown Disney that is always a lot of fun! We took my daughter there for her 1st birthday and son for his 6th birthday. It is fun to let the kids pick out an animal to make and they have special g clothes that you can dress them in. Last time I was there you could even make an Elmo and Cookie Monster although I think they were retiring Elmo.

Storybook Cafe in the Grand Californian has characters in the morning. ( I am not sure if they are there at night) I would not recommend Arial's Grotto only because there are not a lot of characters to see.

Storytellers Cafe is the Chip & Dale (critter) breakfast previously mentioned; that sounds like a good candidate. But boy, I wish they had a Pixar breakfast! My kids love all the Toy Story characters (well, except Stinky Pete!), Nemo, Bugs Life! Thanks for the tips, everyone!

PS. Build-A-Bear is cool - But we have a local store, and made Elmo for Christmas! So not such a must-do visit at Disneyland.

For something different - the barber shop at WDW will create a special hair-do for birthday kids when they come in - for boys they spike the hair up, spray it a color and put glitter in it. Sounds weird - but looks really neat. I have to say - I can't even remember if DL has a barber shop - never looked - but if they do, you could check it out!

AFMom, that sounds really cute! I did read about a hair salon or barber shop somewhere, I'll have to find that again. I think DSnearly2 would like it if he got a lot of positive attention; not sure how DH would feel about the color and glitter in his son's hair, hee hee! :rotfl:

Unfortunately, DL doesn't have a barber shop, only MK @ WDW does. :( I wish they had one at DL! Maybe have a Silhouette done or get a special hat made?

I was interested in this thread because my ds will be turning three shortly after our trip (partly why we're going again in April - it will be his last free entrance into the park). We're both April babies and so our trip also falls shortly after my birthday :). I was looking into doing something like has been suggested above for ds. In case anyone hasn't seen it here's a link to the official Disneyland page about birthdays: Click here

Make birthdays more memorable than ever at the Disneyland® Resort, where you can select from many delightful party possibilities:
* "My Disneyland Birthday Party" at the Plaza Inn, Featuring a Guest Appearance by Mickey and Minnie - Spend your birthday with laughter and music, fun-filled cake decorating, plus a special guest appearance by Mickey and Minnie Mouse
* Birthday Magic at Disneyland Resort full-service restaurants - Add to a birthday meal celebration with a Sorcerer Mickey or Princess "Birthday Bucket," topped with a mini cake and filled with a cloisonné pin and other terrific treats
* Goofy's Kitchen Birthday Bags - Blow out the candles and celebrate with a wonder-filled "Birthday Bag" for the birthday boy or girl

For information and pricing on all these wondrous celebrations, please call (714) 781-DINE†.

Tips & Fun Facts:
The party starts with zany host and baker Pat E. Cake at "My Disneyland Birthday Party" at the Plaza Inn.

Goofy's Kitchen "Birthday Bag" includes a baloon, party hat, souvineer Goofy pen, toy maraca and puzzle, plus an individual cupcake for the birthday boy or girl.

hth.

All4Fun, your boy looks like he would love the Pat E. Cake thing, and would be old enough not to try to eat pins or small toy parts, too. I think there are a lot more options open with age 3, in general and at Disneyland (ie. even for toy safety)

I'm having a little trouble with 2, though. It's such a time of huge transition, not a baby anymore and moving into the 'terrible' period! Trying so hard to be like his big brother, but just being tooooo little for lots of things.

Good luck with your celebrations!

Alex2kMommy said:
Snow Brite, this sounds different from the Goofy's birthday bag (or whatever they call it.) The bags would be fine, just didn't sound like there was much in there appropriate for a 2yo.

The puzzle, balloons, etc. you describe sound cute, thanks for the tip!

PS: Just read the post on the Happiest Birthday On Earth - That sounds fun for my 5yo, but wasn't sure about 2yo. Would he enjoy it? Would he even do the cake decorating? Would he just eat all the frosting and be sick the rest of the day? Still torn on that one... Has anybody done that with a 2yo, and if so, how did it go over?

I have only done it with 7 year olds. :teeth: But I have seen kids as young as one there and having a lot of fun. (As well as grownups celebrating a birthday!) I dont want to ruin the fun of it with too many details, but there really isnt that much frosting to get sick. It is brightly colored and will make for blue lips though! There is a lot of a "show" quality to the party, as Pat E. Cake sings and dances around and then Mickey and Minnie show up, so there is music, dancing and movement. He would probably enjoy at least the concept of decorating his cake like his brothers and yours. I know a 5 year old would love it, and probably a 2 year old that wants to be like big brother and is not afraid of the characters would too. Do take a good bib and have some wipes for clean up of him after. There is a bathroom right there, but sometimes when they are really messy, thats too far!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter