Disney cancels many summer Galactic Starcruiser voyages

I think, generally speaking, the challenge with creating a Star Wars land was that the Star Wars universe is not a fun place to be. It's a galaxy at war. Most places in the movies are either barren wastelands, swamps, arctic tundras, grungy slums run by crime lords, or sterile, mechanized cities, and they're all ruled over by a repressive fascist regime. Who would WANT to go there?

The Harry Potter universe is different, you can create a general environment based on the movies like Diagon Alley that any guest could see themselves in and have a great time. It's fun. I can't think of any Star Wars environment that I'd describe as 'fun'.

About the only really attractive environment in the movies is Naboo, so maybe they should have made a spaceport based on the Naboo designs and used that architecture. Then it would've at least been pretty.

OK, that sounds great, but how are you going to recreate a desert environment in Florida? Tatooine is a desolate planet with endless barren sand dunes in all directions. How are you going to do that in the middle of a theme park surrounded by trees?

And while Mos Eisley is a more familiar environment than Batuu, it's not somewhere I'd ever want to go. It's dangerous, run down, pretty much a slum area full of low lifes and criminals. Tatooine as a whole is presented as a lousy place to be. I can see why they decided to go with somewhere else.
Pretty simple.

If you’ve see. universal Bourne stuntacular their 8K background screen can create deserts, tatooine, Death Star backgrounds.

Pretty simple.

If you’ve see. universal Bourne stuntacular their 8K background screen can create deserts, tatooine, Death Star backgrounds.

Not really sure how you'd get past the knowledge that you'd just be standing in a room with projections all around you. It's not like you'd really feel like you were there, the way guests do at Diagon Alley.

I think, generally speaking, the challenge with creating a Star Wars land was that the Star Wars universe is not a fun place to be. It's a galaxy at war. Most places in the movies are either barren wastelands, swamps, arctic tundras, grungy slums run by crime lords, or sterile, mechanized cities, and they're all ruled over by a repressive fascist regime. Who would WANT to go there?

The Harry Potter universe is different, you can create a general environment based on the movies like Diagon Alley that any guest could see themselves in and have a great time. It's fun. I can't think of any Star Wars environment that I'd describe as 'fun'.

About the only really attractive environment in the movies is Naboo, so maybe they should have made a spaceport based on the Naboo designs and used that architecture. Then it would've at least been pretty.

This is very nicely said! We just got back from our first trip since Galaxy's Edge was built. I'm an average, casual Star Wars fan and while I appreciated how immersive it is and how insanely well done everything is, it's just.....ugly. It doesn't make you happy. But going to HP in Universal...it's whimsical and pretty and, as you say, fun.

This is very nicely said! We just got back from our first trip since Galaxy's Edge was built. I'm an average, casual Star Wars fan and while I appreciated how immersive it is and how insanely well done everything is, it's just.....ugly. It doesn't make you happy. But going to HP in Universal...it's whimsical and pretty and, as you say, fun.

Yeah, that's kind of a good descritpion of it - "It doesn't make you happy." It's kinda harsh and cold. To be fair, that's what a LOT of planets in Star Wars are like - most of them are hellacious death holes. So many OT fans wanted it to be Tatooine - but really, who want's to go there? The whole point of Star Wars it to get away from there! Life in the Star Wars galaxy is tough - unless you have the means to live in the upper levels of Coruscant or Naboo (and even Naboo has monsters in the water), it's basically desolate, lawless planets with armed maniacs running around! Living that adventure is something I could do without, which is why I've always preferred the idea of "Star Wars Land" with spinners and your typical theme park stuff. Immersive rides, sure, but the land itself, play the music and make it fun!

Last edited:
I've always preferred the idea of "Star Wars Land" with spinners and your typical theme park stuff. Immersive rides, sure, but the land itself, play the music and make it fun!
I feel like the success of The Wizarding World has ruined the hopes of simple ideas like this. Every project now has to be an immersive land with a huge footprint. Long are the days of a simple dark ride or spinner in a general purpose land.

I feel like the success of The Wizarding World has ruined the hopes of simple ideas like this. Every project now has to be an immersive land with a huge footprint. Long are the days of a simple dark ride or spinner in a general purpose land.

Yes, and while the super-immersive lands can be fun, not everything needs to be like that either.

Several sites are announcing 30% discount for APs this morning for select dates in April, May, and June. I’m not 100% certain what sites are allowed, so I’m not going to link an article.

Got an email announcing the AP 30 percent discount. I’m sure deeper discounts will be on the way. I’m stunned at the sheer number of dates the discount is valid for. It seems to be just about every voyage.

In our personal circumstances this trip isn’t right for us right now (for reasons beyond the economics) so we will be passing. Another time though the 30 percent discount would have been very compelling.

The problem with Batuu is that it's not "star wars" land its a place adjacent to the sequels that no one really cares about.

Its like if Universal made Harry Potter land without Harry Potter and not in Hogsmeade or Daigon Alley seems a crazy idea right!?

Well thats what Disney did with Batuu

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter