• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney confirms Lighthouse Point as second island

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was curious if they'd announce a resort at Lighthouse Point but that sounds very uncertain. But even if they know about it it's probably too far off to announce anyway.

Do we know if there will be a dock there? Or will passengers have to tender to shore?

This would be way more interesting if in itself it was a vacation destination, not just a cruise stop.

I left a comment on Joe Rhode's Instagram to let him know my thoughts of building a resort there. I'm sure I'll get a direct response soon. ;)

(oh and my Instagram is actually my cat's account)

DW has been wanting to plan for a cruise for some time now. Looks like 2023 might be it!

Interestingly, this will apparently NOT really be a "private island" experience. According to an article about the land purchase that appeared in the Orlando Sentinel, the government of the Bahamas has imposed some conditions as part of the sale, including requirements for hiring Bahamian vendors, and this rather striking statement:
The property will also be open to Bahamas residents, and not segregated to just cruise line visitors.
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/tra...ouse-point-bahamas-update-20190311-story.html

Eleuthera is a large island (110 miles long) with a local population of 11,000 people. The Disney property is only about 700 acres of it. If the contract requires Disney to grant day-visitor access, the whole island is probably going to suddenly boom with lower-cost accomodations for visitors who want to spend the day at the Disney property.

If the contract requires Disney to grant day-visitor access, the whole island is probably going to suddenly boom with lower-cost accomodations for visitors who want to spend the day at the Disney property.

It won't. Disney are hardly new at this, and that'd be commercial suicide. Disney may be required to charge a 'fair market rate' for resident access, but they're going to be free to carefully vet that visitors *are* residents, and that FMR has a lot of wiggle room. The point is to ensure that Bahamians who work at the resort can enjoy it the same as anyone else.

I was wondering how they were going to handle the biggest objection from environmentalists, that there is a Coral Reef that would be destroyed if they dredged and built a pier close to the Island. So the plans show a pier going significantly out past the Coral Reef so no dredging. I had faith that with Joe Rohde being involved, that a solution would be found. Thumbs up, Disney.

I’m hoping for a Castaway Cay/Lighthouse Point cruise!
As much as people would want that to happen I doubt it will as it's being built because of how many ships they are going to have in the Florida area as it is right now when all four ships are in Florida they have a ship at castaway cay just about every day now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter