• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Dilema?

GO2209

Mouseketeer
Having lurked around this forum for a couple of weeks, I know those present are more than qualified to answer my questions!

My GF loves all things Disney and still gets teary eyed when I mention our Disneyland Paris trip last Christmas. Having persuaded her to fly, I thought a 12hr flight (via Atlanta) would be a gentle way to tackle her fear of flying!

So, we are off to Florida on September the 27th - Gulf Coast. However, a trip to Florida wouldn't be complete without a few days in Orlando.

I had planned on staying off-site, visiting the MK, Universal Studios and SeaWorld. I don't mind driving in the US, in fact I prefer it to the UK. But, I want to be able to have a meal and a couple of drinks - ergo - no driving back to the hotel.

I-Drive is okay - but I feel it has become a bit, erm, well, too tacky? Plus, it is not neccesarily in walking distance to CityWalk.
Universal CityWalk looks fine for a couple of evenings out, but the accommodation is a little expensive (Hard Rock etc).

Downtown Disney looks very attractive,maybe the Grosvenor Resort?

As you can see I am gradually upping the budget and it has nearly reached the 'stuff-it' point. Should I stay in a Disney Hotel? Would I be better off staying in a non-Disney hotel near to DD?

Final thought... If I stay in DD or in a Disney Resort hotel, should I scrub the idea of visiting Universal/Seaworld? Simply devote our time to the WDW? Get some sort of multi-day pass and tour the Disney parks.

NB: The GF is not a big coaster fan (she didn't exactly enjoy Space Mountain as DLP!!!) - so IoA is a no-no.

All suggestions welcome!?

If you take a taxi from Universal to anywhere along IDrive it's going to be less than $10, there were plenty of taxi's when I was there. You other choice is the IDrive trolley bus, that may not be you're best option AFTER a night at Citywalk, but it might be an option on your way there. The Wyndham on the corner of IDrive and Sandlake road is still a pretty nice hotel, although I understand what you mean with some of the other places in that area.

I would surprise your GF and stay on-site, if she loved DLP she will love all of WDW. If you are only staying for a few day's it may be wise just to focus on WDW.

Kaylee

I agree with Kaylee - stay on-site and concentrate on WDW if your time is limited.

You can forget your car for the whole time if you're prepared to rely on the WDW transport system (we find it very good, although I know others prefer to drive to the parks).

The WDW resorts will give your GF Disney 24 hrs a day if that's what she likes - what could be more magical than that? ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter