Disney First Timers on the DxDDP

Yujailec

Mouseketeer
Hello, everyone!

I am planning my little girl's 5th birthday at Disney World this September 2018. This will be our first time visiting all 4 Disney parks and our first time on the deluxe DDP. We do not have much background when it comes to dining at Disney so we would like to experience as much as possible.

Our party consists of 4 adults, 1 teen and my 4 year old. We will be staying at the Art of Animation and have our own car for transportation if that makes a difference. Of course, I want to make the most out of the dining plan and want to make it as memorable for her as possible but with mostly adults in our party I want to make it enjoyable for us as well. We are not picky eaters, I'd say most of us have an adventurous palette including my 5 year old (she'll take shrimp and steak or chicken tenders, it just depends on the day.) I am looking for a mix of good food and good ambiance.

I've read several threads, watched podcasts, looked at menus, pictures and read reviews, however, I am still kind of stuck since it's my first time doing it all. I will include a list of my current ADRs below and would love the input of more experienced Disney goers. Would you do anything differently? Any places you'd suggest I add/remove from my list? I am pretty much open to consider anything! We would like a good balance of table service, character meals, signature dining and quick service (if necessary) and are open to suggestions in the parks, resort areas and Disney Springs.

Day 1: Arrival - Hotel Day
(B)
(L) Skip
(D) Jiko at 7:50PM (though I am considering an earlier ADR)

Day 2: AK
(B) Boma at 7:55AM
(L) Sana'a at 2:45PM
(D) Satu'li Canteen before park close
Is this too much food? I am feeling like it might be but I've read all great things and would love to get to try them all.

Day 3: EP
(B)
(L) Akershus at 1:40PM
(D)

Day 4: HS
(B) Cape May Cafe at 8:45AM
(L) Skip
(D) Flying Fish at 7:50PM

Day 5: MK
(B) Be Our Guest at 9:55AM
(L)
(D)

Day 6: Departure - Disney Springs
I am considering an early ADR breakfast before enjoying the resort pool until checkout OR breakfast at our resort food court and then a good lunch at Disney Springs before heading home.

Thank you in advance! I look forward to all of your suggestions!

I think the most important think to remember is you have 15 credits to us per person for a 5 night stay. You also get 2 snacks per day. I would consider Crystal Palace or CRT over BOG as it is a quick service breakfast and a waste on the deluxe. Also remember you are getting an App, Entrée, and Dessert with every meal excluding breakfast so it is a lot of food. I love the deluxe but it is hard to eat 3 meals in one day so I would think about that.

What time does your flight leave? DME will pick you up 3 hours before your flight, and you need to be ready and waiting at the assigned time.

We will actually be driving and don't have a specific time we must leave so it's pretty flexible.

I think the most important think to remember is you have 15 credits to us per person for a 5 night stay. You also get 2 snacks per day. I would consider Crystal Palace or CRT over BOG as it is a quick service breakfast and a waste on the deluxe. Also remember you are getting an App, Entrée, and Dessert with every meal excluding breakfast so it is a lot of food. I love the deluxe but it is hard to eat 3 meals in one day so I would think about that.

CRT was my first choice but I haven't been able to find a reservation. I miraculously found the BOG reservation after checking daily. I thought it was better than nothing so I decided to book. I probably should mention, I started planning after the 180 day window so many of those hard to get reservations were no longer available.

If it were me, and I've done exactly what you are about to do, several times, with our own 3 kids, is to downgrade to the standard meal plan and use the new found money for whatever suits your fancies... wing it funds... food or otherwise... deluxe is most likely way more food than you are expecting... Unless you are planning all signatures or 2 credit events/buffets, you will probably get more "value" out of the standard plan... but I could be wrong :) Have a great trip

Just my .02

If it were me, and I've done exactly what you are about to do, several times, with our own 3 kids, is to downgrade to the standard meal plan and use the new found money for whatever suits your fancies... wing it funds... food or otherwise... deluxe is most likely way more food than you are expecting... Unless you are planning all signatures or 2 credit events/buffets, you will probably get more "value" out of the standard plan... but I could be wrong :) Have a great trip

Just my .02
I probably would've never considered paying for the deluxe dining plan out of pocket given the amount of food and money involved. This was actually an act of kindness from the cast member who helped me with my reservation, initially there was an issue with the reservation and she said she was going to "sprinkle some pixie dust" to make my little one's birthday more magical. I wasn't sure what that meant but to my surprise when I logged in to my Disney experience, she had added the DDP. I was so thrilled I could almost cry!

My thoughts...
Day 2 is way too much traveling around. I would lose Boma and Satuli, replace those with a late breakfast/early lunch at Tusker House. I would also do Jiko for dinner on this day since you'll be at AK.
Day 3, Garden Grill breakfast would be a good option. Also Biergarten for dinner is one of my favorites.
Day 6, I would enjoy the resort before checkout then do a late lunch at DS.

Garden Grill breakfast at Epcot is great- yummy cinnamon rolls, fresh fruit, delightful character interaction and, if it is PPO, walk on Soarin' before the line forms!

We are also fans of Crystal Palace breakfast at MK. Beautiful setting and puffed French toast! We recently did a 10:30 ADR- time to hit some favorite rides before relaxing and filling up. If you manage to get a later BOG (or CRT) ADR, this could be an option. Or perhaps an early CP dinner on your MK day (restaurant definitely more pleasant in daylight).

If you decide to do lunch at HS, we like 50s Prime Time.

If you get your heart set on some currently unavailable ADRs, keep checking and put www.touringplans.com reservation finder to work.

My thoughts...
Day 2 is way too much traveling around. I would lose Boma and Satuli, replace those with a late breakfast/early lunch at Tusker House. I would also do Jiko for dinner on this day since you'll be at AK.
Day 3, Garden Grill breakfast would be a good option. Also Biergarten for dinner is one of my favorites.
Day 6, I would enjoy the resort before checkout then do a late lunch at DS.

I absolutely agree that it's a lot of back and forth between AK resort area and AK, so I know I'll end up making some changes on this day. I would've loved breakfast at Tusker House but no ADRs as of right now I will definitely keep looking! I kind of have my heart set of Sana'a, I love the idea of the savannah (I think my little one would love this too) and the fact that the menu is unusual. I considered doing Jiko on this night but I am looking forward to ROL since we haven't seen the show before.

I am glad you brought up Biergarten as one of your favorites as it was requested by one of the members in our party so I'll definitely look more into this one.

Thank you for your input!

Last edited:
Garden Grill breakfast at Epcot is great- yummy cinnamon rolls, fresh fruit, delightful character interaction and, if it is PPO, walk on Soarin' before the line forms!

We are also fans of Crystal Palace breakfast at MK. Beautiful setting and puffed French toast! We recently did a 10:30 ADR- time to hit some favorite rides before relaxing and filling up. If you manage to get a later BOG (or CRT) ADR, this could be an option. Or perhaps an early CP dinner on your MK day (restaurant definitely more pleasant in daylight).

If you decide to do lunch at HS, we like 50s Prime Time.

If you get your heart set on some currently unavailable ADRs, keep checking and put www.touringplans.com reservation finder to work.

This is awesome! I am already using touringplans for our itineraries but was not aware of this feature. I am definitely going to put it to use!

& That's two for Garden Grill, even though they don't have anything available right now, maybe something will come up.

Thanks for your suggestions!

The best value of the deluxe dining plan is to utilize a 2-credit signature each night of your trip, which you'll find most guest who go on the DxDP will choose to do. We'll usually do a 1 TS credit lunch around noon, and then a signature dinner around 7:00 or later.

Flying Fish is very good, especially their appetizers. There are better options for seafood & steak (Narcoossee's, Citrico's), but Flying Fish is still very good.
Be our Guest - don't waste a dining credit there.

Jiko is one of our favorites, while California Grill and Narcoossee's are always must-do's on our trip (especially if you time CG for the fireworks in Magic Kingdom, there's an awesome viewing area).

Hello, everyone!

I am planning my little girl's 5th birthday at Disney World this September 2018. This will be our first time visiting all 4 Disney parks and our first time on the deluxe DDP. We do not have much background when it comes to dining at Disney so we would like to experience as much as possible.

Our party consists of 4 adults, 1 teen and my 4 year old. We will be staying at the Art of Animation and have our own car for transportation if that makes a difference. Of course, I want to make the most out of the dining plan and want to make it as memorable for her as possible but with mostly adults in our party I want to make it enjoyable for us as well. We are not picky eaters, I'd say most of us have an adventurous palette including my 5 year old (she'll take shrimp and steak or chicken tenders, it just depends on the day.) I am looking for a mix of good food and good ambiance.

I've read several threads, watched podcasts, looked at menus, pictures and read reviews, however, I am still kind of stuck since it's my first time doing it all. I will include a list of my current ADRs below and would love the input of more experienced Disney goers. Would you do anything differently? Any places you'd suggest I add/remove from my list? I am pretty much open to consider anything! We would like a good balance of table service, character meals, signature dining and quick service (if necessary) and are open to suggestions in the parks, resort areas and Disney Springs.

Day 1: Arrival - Hotel Day
(B)
(L) Skip
(D) Jiko at 7:50PM (though I am considering an earlier ADR)

Day 2: AK
(B) Boma at 7:55AM
(L) Sana'a at 2:45PM
(D) Satu'li Canteen before park close
Is this too much food? I am feeling like it might be but I've read all great things and would love to get to try them all.

Day 3: EP
(B)
(L) Akershus at 1:40PM
(D)

Day 4: HS
(B) Cape May Cafe at 8:45AM
(L) Skip
(D) Flying Fish at 7:50PM

Day 5: MK
(B) Be Our Guest at 9:55AM
(L)
(D)

Day 6: Departure - Disney Springs
I am considering an early ADR breakfast before enjoying the resort pool until checkout OR breakfast at our resort food court and then a good lunch at Disney Springs before heading home.

Thank you in advance! I look forward to all of your suggestions!
I would encourage you to continue looking for an earlier ADR for Jiko's since your Boma breakfast is at 7:55 AM. Or look for a later breakfast.
Are 3 meals (1 buffet and 2 TS) too much? Depends on what you chose to order particularly at the buffet.

You made some great signature choices in my opinion as there will be something for everyone at each locale.
Have fun!

How about a meal at the Polynesian or Grand Floridian on your MK day like the Spirit of Aloha or 1900 Park Fare?

The best value of the deluxe dining plan is to utilize a 2-credit signature each night of your trip, which you'll find most guest who go on the DxDP will choose to do. We'll usually do a 1 TS credit lunch around noon, and then a signature dinner around 7:00 or later.

Flying Fish is very good, especially their appetizers. There are better options for seafood & steak (Narcoossee's, Citrico's), but Flying Fish is still very good.
Be our Guest - don't waste a dining credit there.

Jiko is one of our favorites, while California Grill and Narcoossee's are always must-do's on our trip (especially if you time CG for the fireworks in Magic Kingdom, there's an awesome viewing area).

I will certainly consider your suggestion of less meals and adding more signature options. I can possibly do big breakfasts or later breakfasts and early signature dining. I am glad you cofirmed my signature choices are good options as I debated between Narcoossee’s and Flying Fish for a while.

Thanks so much!

How about a meal at the Polynesian or Grand Floridian on your MK day like the Spirit of Aloha or 1900 Park Fare?
I’ve read lots of great things about the Poly, I’m actually watching for cancellations at Ohana for dinner on MK day. I will definitely look more into your suggestions.

Thank you!

What a great gift from Disney. Just in case you haven't tried to also figure it out yet please remember that since there is 6 of you that tips will be automatically added to your bill. The more expensive the meal the more the tips will be. Also they add everything apps, entree, and dessert and that total amount for 6 people time 18% will be the automatic tip. Personally I put the amount on a gift card ahead of time to make sure I have it calculated into my cost and charge to the room and then pay with the gift card. My last trip on the DxDDP my tips was over $400. Don't want you to be caught off guard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter