Disney Genie announcement

Personally, I think both of you are wrong. As someone here right now using it, I do find value in it. I do not come here multiple times a year so spending an extra $75/ day for my family to enjoy almost all the rides we want while removing stress is a value to me and something I am more than happy to pay for. While the FP+ system was good, I took issue with the fact that it required me to plan entire days months in advance. I have found this system to be much more flexible. I could have went to any park today and had the same opportunity as anyone else willing to pay the money the day of.
This. I get to come once a year. I'll pay for it every time..

You’d probably win a credit card chargeback in this scenario. That’s what I’d do if the only alternative was 6 hours on hold trying to get through to Disney.
Two caveats . . .

One, I have read some posts where people are planning to use gift cards, especially when multiple families are pooling money so they can book everything as a single group. A CC chargeback would not apply in that case, so something to keep in mind.

Two, is there a Terms and Conditions page you have to acknowledge when making the purchase? If so, read it carefully. I used to handle the cc disputes for our company and we never lost a case when the issue being disputed was addressed in the T&C and we had proof the customer was aware of the T&C before they purchased. If the T&C says no refunds, and does not specifically say they have to provide a service for your money, it’s going to be harder to fight.

I am not saying a guest shouldn’t fight a charge when they didn’t get what they paid for, but it’s important to know what you agreed to at the time of purchase so you can specify the reason their T&C doesn’t apply in your case. So many people get in a hurry and just click through without reading, but it can save you a lot of aggravation. It may take time for the dispute to be resolved in your favor, and it may not be a slam dunk, even though it seems like it should be. I miss the days when we could count on Disney doing right by their guests.

My apologies if this the wrong forum for this question…but when playing with the Genie it is only recognizing 1 day out of 4 as having a park reservation when I am trying set up my trip. My park reservation is on the day/date, my dining too and says good to go but I can’t edit or make any selections. Anyone else experienced this?

I‘ve been seeing something similar to this.

As long as all of our tickets and park reservations show under “My Plans” I’m not going to worry about it, at least for now. I’m not sure if the Genie app is able to handle more than one day, especially future dates.

2 questions:

2) For our arrival day, we have a park hopper pass, but won't arrive before 2pm. In order to be able to select afternoon G+LL slots, I will need to select a different park than we plan to visit for that day. I presume if we don't actually tap into the "park reservation" park, there will be no issues? That's the only way I can think to reserve some LLs before we get on our flight. IOW, if I want to select DHS LL for our arrival day after 2pm before we board our flight, I need to select one of the other 3 parks as our "reservation" for that day?
Pretty sure you need to tap into your reserved park before hopping. I think that’s the way it’s worked for a while now with the park reservation system and hoppers. Can others confirm?

Dan

While the FP+ system was good, I took issue with the fact that it required me to plan entire days months in advance.

I've never understood this comment. You had to pick three rides that you wanted to ride. You literally had to plan about 30 minutes of your day between 30-60 days in advance. Not your entire day by any stretch of the imagination. Are you really telling me that when you go to Magic Kingdom you couldn't thing of three rides you wanted to do? And not only that - you could modify them.

Now however, you have to plan what park you want to go to months in advance. And you have to be up at 7am if you want to book your choice of ride. Before, when I planned - I was done. Now you have to continually look for your next ride and plan your day around what time it give you. And don't bother to say "well - you don't have to do that". Because you didn't have to do it before anyway. And don't try the "well - the best rides were taken". Well - now you have to pay extra for them and the ones you can get you could get easily under FP+.

The only thing it does that I think has value to many is that they can purchase two of the top rides and not have to worry about them selling out. But your primary argument about having to plan your entire day under FP+ is really just nonsense.

Reading all this stuff today, just no…… So grateful I don’t have a trip planned right now. This whole change is not designed for me…..the person who has the goal of NOT using her phone the whole day on vacation and wants her basic plan in advance. Sigh.

To answer both, rider swap is just like it always was and 2 YO and under are included. We did SDD with our group (3 YO and 16 months) and my wife and son went first using LL then me and my son went after using LL.

Great so if I pay for 3 lightning lanes a la carte than my 5 year old daughter will get to ride twice? Once with me and once with wife?

I've never understood this comment. You had to pick three rides that you wanted to ride. You literally had to plan about 30 minutes of your day between 30-60 days in advance. Not your entire day by any stretch of the imagination. Are you really telling me that when you go to Magic Kingdom you couldn't thing of three rides you wanted to do? And not only that - you could modify them.

Now however, you have to plan what park you want to go to months in advance. And you have to be up at 7am if you want to book your choice of ride. Before, when I planned - I was done. Now you have to continually look for your next ride and plan your day around what time it give you. And don't bother to say "well - you don't have to do that". Because you didn't have to do it before anyway. And don't try the "well - the best rides were taken". Well - now you have to pay extra for them and the ones you can get you could get easily under FP+.

The only thing it does that I think has value to many is that they can purchase two of the top rides and not have to worry about them selling out. But your primary argument about having to plan your entire day under FP+ is really just nonsense.
Hopefully this helps. On this trip I am currently on I booked theme park reservations over the summer. 60 days out I tried to get a Topolinos reservation for breakfast and couldn’t get it. I wanted it on my EPCOT day since the park doesn’t open until 10, which was originally Wednesday. I stalked it and was able to get a reservation for Tuesday which was my AK day. So I just switched theme park days, no big deal. If I had 6 FP booked those days I would have been stuck.

My head is spinning with the new genie and lightening lane… I’ve read how to articles etc and still cannot wrap my head around it! So my questions are
If I do not purchase anything will I get on rides without waiting longer than normal hours?!?
If genie plus is purchased what exactly will I get from that? I understand that it only allows access to buy lightening lane? Im soo confused and leaving next week and this is ruining my vacation already! Help! Thanks

With MaxPass, the rebooking time limit was from the time of the most recently booked FP that you made (not the FP return time, but the clock time that you actually booked the FP at), not from the one you were currently using. So if you booked one way out (say 6pm return time) at 10am (your booking time), your next one was able to be booked 90 minutes after 10 am (your booking time). You kept booking from there (90 minutes from booking time or after you used the FP). That 6pm FP was just hanging out there. The only way the 6pm FP impacted things, as I recall *and it is somewhat faint memory here* was that you could not book another FP for that same ride while holding the FP for it at 6pm. But the time block until the next booking was keyed off of the time your most recently booked FP was booked, not the return time. I hope I am remembering that correctly!
Thanks. This is very helpful. But just to play this out . . . Let’s imagine that, at 7:00 am, I get a LL return time for SDD for 12:30-1:30. Then, at 11:00 am, I get a second LL, this time for MFSR for 3:00-4:00. At 12:30, I scan in to SDD. Which is now true? (A) I can grab another LL right away. (B) I can grab another LL at 2:30 (120 minutes later). (C) I cannot grab another LL until I scan in to MFSR at 3:00.

My question got lost in the shuffle earlier today. Can somebody help me out?
You wrote:
Note, I do not have tickets for today but am playing around with the app. (1) On the tip board, is there any way to sort by next available LL time or is it only alphabetical attraction name order?
(2) Or sort by standby time in the tip board.
I know this option can still be done by viewing the map, then selecting view list, but not very convenient to back out of genie if I just want to see the lower waits.

Answer: I am not in the park today either. However, I read that if you do My plans and select your favorite attractions in My Plans they will populate on top of the attraction list for wait times. That is not exactly what you were asking, but it might be helpful. Hopefully someone else can verify.

I‘ve been seeing something similar to this.
Thanks. This is very helpful. But just to play this out . . . Let’s imagine that, at 7:00 am, I get a LL return time for SDD for 12:30-1:30. Then, at 11:00 am, I get a second LL, this time for MFSR for 3:00-4:00. At 12:30, I scan in to SDD. Which is now true? (A) I can grab another LL right away. (B) I can grab another LL at 2:30 (120 minutes later). (C) I cannot grab another LL until I scan in to MFSR at 3:00.
I’m not either but just wondering ironically I try on my Samsung as opposed iPhone and it was all good,

As long as all of our tickets and park reservations show under “My Plans” I’m not going to worry about it, at least for now. I’m not sure if the Genie app is able to handle more than one day, especially future dates.

Is every thread about genie being merged into this one? If so, why? This thread is too long to be helpful already.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter