Disney Genie announcement

I would be WAY more understanding if an AA or something else mechanical isn't quite working right resulting in missing part of the ride experience. Skipping the pre-show is not acceptable when people are paying extra for the entirety of the experience. If you're not running a third of what riders normally experience when they DON'T pay extra, maybe discount/refund a third of the price. I realize that's not realistic, but charging the same amount when you're giving someone less than the whole is not good business and borders on shady, imo.
They don't intentionally skip the pre-shows. They only do that when an element is not working, at least to my understanding. The alternative is to take the whole ride down, which obviously is not ideal either, especially for those who may be on a 'once in a lifetime' trip and would probably rather get a partial experience than no experience at all.

I would guess that if you pay for ILL$ and part of the ride is down, you could convince guest services to provide a refund (in the form of a gift card, it sounds like).

7am for work? Sure. It’s work, I get paid to do it.

dont get up at 7am on vacation ever. Skiing, beach, Disney, etc. never, especially when I have to pay vs getting paid

think of it this way. You saved an hour, even 2 in lines. But you woke up 2 hours earlier to book your first ride. You were on your phone all day. You paid $175 for your family of 5.

what was different than the last time you visited MK? Did you ride different rides? Did you spend less time in the park from start to finish?

no. You woke up earlier Paid more money. Spent the same amount of time in the park.

look at it for Disney’s perspective. They had the same or less amount of guests. Fewer employees because the parks weren’t open as long. More money because those same people just paid more for the exact same experience.

this is a marketing ploy and it is frustrating that people fall for it.

OK. You have made countless posts railing about how much you dislike this system, so I think we all get it. I’m going to respond to this one in detailed points because you’re starting to get into the territory of telling me how I should go about my days and how I should respond to the latest changes Disney has made.

As for getting up at 7 AM, I am up at that time every day. We have always gotten up early at Disney World so we could be at a park at opening and in many cases for Extra Magic Hours, which in some cases started at 7AM. We even were at DHS at 6 AM during that period right after GE opened. So, for me, being up at 7AM to spend 2 minutes making a LL reservation or two is no hardship at all. And I get up and out early for other vacation and recreation events too, like playing golf or getting to a National Park before it gets too crowded. If you’re someone who likes sleeping in fine. But be open minded enough to understand that not everyone shares your lifestyle.

As far as being on my phone all day, I don’t see that happening because of Genie+. After I make our first LL reservation for the day, and maybe one IALL selection, I will only need to look at my phone for things WDW related to (1) check standby wait times to decide where to go next, (2) use mobile order for meals, and (3) make our next LL reservation. The first two of those have nothing to do with Genie+ and the 3rd will only come up a few times a day. I think you are someone who encourages refreshing to try to get preferred LL times. That by itself would take more phone time than the amount of time I will be spending. I spend more time checking my phone if one of my favorite sports teams is playing while I’m in a park than I do for things related to WDW.

As for the cost, there is no question that WDW costs more than it did years ago. That’s true for many things that I enjoy doing that aren’t free. It doesn’t really matter to me if those increased costs come in the form of increased ticket prices or a la carte charges. I can evaluate costs and make my decisions whether or not I’m willing to pay them. Your suggestion that anyone who continues to go to WDW has been duped by a marketing ploy is, frankly, pretty insulting.

We definitely won’t be spending $35 a day per person on Genie+. There are only 3 of the 8 IALL attractions that I would consider paying for, and those would be no more than once per trip and not every trip. On a longer trip I wouldn’t be getting Genie+ every day either. We can do the attractions we enjoy doing the old fashioned way by getting to the park early and using standby.

Finally, and this one may surprise you, I am not a fan of this new system. That’s less because of the cost, which they could have obtained by increasing admission tickets even more than they already do, than because I liked the FP+ system that let me pick some of our favorite attractions at times that were convenient. A lot of posters on this board hated that too.

I come to this board to get information on how the system works and ideas on how I can best utilize it to make our days in the parks most enjoyable. After we use it a few times I can evaluate whether and how much I like or don’t like it.

Again, I’m not naive enough to think I’m going to change your personal feelings about anything. But, I would encourage you to be open minded enough to understand that not everyone shares your lifestyle and opinions.

Rant over.

Last edited:
@WebmasterDoc, any mods, Do you think that you might allow three Genie threads?
1. Personal experiences of using G., G+., and ILL$.
2. Questions and answers about using the new system.
3. For those who wish to debate its merits?
Or something similar? This thread is too long and jumbled. People are asking valid questions and those questions are being buried in the ether.

Maybe I need a genie to summon the mods? Too soon? 😉
Also:
#4: sharing strategies on how to best utilize/max the value of G+ and ILL$. I am done with venting and grieving what was and am ready to move on to master what is

Good luck calling though. I had one call back yesterday that took them 90 minutes to do. Found out she couldn't even do it. Told me I'd have to wait for another callback which I never got.

You don't need to add the Genie+ ahead of time anyway. You can add it via the MDE app on the day you first go to the parks.

Reading these threads is doing my head in. i’d almost prefer them to take the Universal approach and slug and extra $70-$80 and have an express/fast pass/lightning lane add on that’s unlimited with no restrictions.
More like $150 - but yeah - just not sure it would work without a bunch of limits.
Thing is they could probably sell some number of those as well as Genie+ basically giving instant access to all LL rides once and call it Genie++

Ive watched a few folks on youtube and IMO most of them did not have a good Genie+ experience - rides not available till 4 or 5 PM for example at 10AM.

There was one who was thrilled with the system - paying $33 to ride Dinosaur, FOP and EE at AK in around 1.5 hours.
Then went to Epcot to ride Soarin.
He was also annoyed he could not buy more IA$ at Epcot - Im sort of surprised Disney limited that - but I did know it was two per day.

Thing is he could have road EE Single rider and Dinosaur was a 5 minute wait - so could have saved $22 there and still paid 11 to save the 90 minute wait on FOP. My question is was FOP really a 90 minute wait? Also not sure what the wait for Soarin was - but has not been very long recently.
Side note - he was 14 minutes late for Soarin but still got a green light - so probably a 15 minute window

Also picking AK and Epcot for his video shows G+ in the best light IMO - MK or HS are the best examples of how it will really work.

Currently I'm not sold on G+ as I dont think its providing what we expected - I was really hoping it would let me get through a bunch of rides at MK so I could then park hop, but with all the waiting around between rides Im not sure it will make sense.

As someone else said - wait till the busy holiday season and lets see how it works - its not looking good from what I have seen.

Can someone explain how you tell Genie+ you intend to park hop? Is that part of the free Genie service? (meaning, do I have to set that up first)

the thread is kind of a mix of persons trying to figure out how to use Genie+, interspersed with others who are angry at them for even thinking about using it, because they are angry at Disney for starting it in the first place.

from what I have managed to learn about it, I would use it sporadically. Definitely not every day, and not even every trip. And only at MK or Studios.

If someone gets two IALL and Genie+ they’re saving a lot more than an hour that they would have to spend in line to experience the same attractions (if they could do all of them at all.)

And, based on the number of people in line to enter the parks at 8 AM and earlier there are A LOT of people up at 7 AM and earlier to get there. There are a lot people up before 7 AM almost every day of their lives to get ready for work or school or to take care of kids. Taking about 2 minutes at 7 AM to make a couple of LL selections is not going to be a big deal for them.

It‘s not a matter of ”winning” anything.
⬆️⬆️ Totally agree. My real life has enough stress already without worrying about Disney “winning”. They win every time I plan and go on a trip to WDW, don’t they? I win when rhe trip meets my needs: fun, relaxing and a time to reconnect with my family. Win/win still works for me, even if the price tag is more expensive than our last trip

I would use it sporadically. Definitely not every day, and not even every trip. And only at MK or Studios.
What about when rope dropping one park, planning on a mid day break and hopping to AK or Epcot?

You don't think you can find $25 value there for G+ and one ILL?

I guess this is where my mentality of removing ADRs steps in. Lets say I was talking FP days we may have started the day in HS at rope drop then hopped over to AK for lunch at Tiffins and had our FP+ waiting on us. So I am thinking now I can pretty much do the same thing but rather than bus over to AK, walk back to Boardwalk and eat lunch in our villa and still have G+ when we arrive but also have use of at least one G+ that we can book at 11am and maybe a second at 1pm (depending on how long we are there)

Go to your My Disney Experience account on the website (not the app). Under your reservation details, there should be an option to modify the package. It should then list resort, tickets, etc ... If you have your tickets linked, you may have the option to 'modify tickets'. Under that option you may have the ability to change the ticket add-ons and add Genie+. I haven't modified my tickets yet but checked this morning as was able to if I wanted.

i want to try to use genie+ for park hopping after 2 p.m. for mk. Can someone explain, as a resort guest, how I do that exactly at 7 a.m.
If I log in and am offered a.m. for my theme park reservation park but i want the second park of my day instead how do i do that?

What about 9pm the night before? Or 8pm? Or 7pm? What is preventing WDW from doing any of those times?

Anyone have a good answer?

I’m sure Disney did their research and realized a large percentage of guests are up at 7 am. They obviously want this to be a day of system so doing it the night before defeats that purpose. Guests complained of lack of spontaneity and this fits into that.

i want to try to use genie+ for park hopping after 2 p.m. for mk. Can someone explain, as a resort guest, how I do that exactly at 7 a.m.
If I log in and am offered a.m. for my theme park reservation park but i want the second park of my day instead how do i do that?

You have to wait for 2 pm and after times for MK rides to come available. You’ll most likely have to wait until later in the day to book MK.

You have to wait for 2 pm and after times for MK rides to come available. You’ll most likely have to wait until later in the day to book MK.
At 7, if you want to book in the park you plan on hopping to, it shouldn't even give you options to book before 2pm.

Add the 2nd park you plan to hop to on your Tip Board for the day. Then, after logging in change the park (Genie should default to where your reservation is) to where you are hopping to and the time windows should start for when you can hop.

When you open Genie to set up your day there will be an option to tell it that you are going to park hop. When you go to the tab called "My Day", it will list wait times and suggestions for both your parks, with the options for the second park beginning at 2pm. You can book a lightning lane from that list.

I have been playing with G+. My trip isn’t until November 2022 but I did make park reservations. When I go go to My Genie Day to to My Day it shows park hours and has Epcot as opening at 9 am and AK closing some days at 9 pm. I’m sure it’s nothing but odd to see.

this is so confusing. We are staying on property 12/17-12/22. It obviously going to be busy. Do we wait until we're in Disney to upgrade to Genie +? I'm willing to pay the extra $15 a day but really don't want to do the extra "pay per ride option." We go to Disney a lot so it really isn't necessary for that, but I would like to get on something. :thumbsup2

this is so confusing. We are staying on property 12/17-12/22. It obviously going to be busy. Do we wait until we're in Disney to upgrade to Genie +? I'm willing to pay the extra $15 a day but really don't want to do the extra "pay per ride option." We go to Disney a lot so it really isn't necessary for that, but I would like to get on something. :thumbsup2
If you know for sure you want G+ every day, it doesn't hurt to add it now. But, if you want to try it first and see how it goes, just add it day by day. No real advantage either way.

If you are on a Disney vacation package I think you can add it in advance, but it would be for all days and all people in your party. Other than that you wait until each day, and not everyone in your part has to have it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter