• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Genie announcement

Genie as a character was helpful and you ordered him around.

This is a nightmare bossy Genie that makes you get up at 7AM and then barks at you it’s time to buy a Mickey bar and get $3 off to only pay $24.95 to ride slinky dog. Life is your restaraunt, and im your revenue optimizer.

If it hasn't been said...

This is a way to advantage single trip guests over APs...APs can't just book 3 popular rides and hit an evening and be happy. If they want to do that now with little wait, it will be $15/person each night (plus probably $15/ride on the biggies). So, fewer will do it, and thus the waits go down for single trip guests to the disadvantage of APs.

Whether you think that is good or bad probably depends on who you are...but if you're Disney, you win no matter what, so now you know why it was put in...
Well, they'll be losing the income from lots of local AP'ers, come renewal time. But maybe they've calculated the revenue from this will outweigh the loss.

I have not received an email yet. I have a trip starting 9/28 for the anniversary weekend, and one in January. I have a platinum AP. I am not paying more to go on attractions. Maybe they know that and left me off the blast?

I have not received an email yet. I have a trip starting 9/28 for the anniversary weekend, and one in January. I have a platinum AP. I am not paying more to go on attractions. Maybe they know that and left me off the blast?
I have a trip planned for arrival on September 16th and have also not gotten the email. I have a Platinum AP, but the other 6 in my party linked to the reservation have park hoppers. I really hope this doesn’t go into effect until after our trip.

I got the email and our trip isn't until November 8th. If this drops the same week as the 50th the Guest Relations CMs are going to be begging to be put down.

This is certainly gonna change the way I visit Disney World. I'm not gonna go.

We're go with the flow people who just enjoy being in the parks and it seems like things are just getting more and more complicated and more and more expensive for no reason. It's a bummer.

I think I'd rather see some new places or revisit some old ones that are more appreciative of my time and money. At this point, I'll probably wait until Epic Universe opens and do a day or two at Disney as an add-on.

I think they've found the 'sweet spot' for pricing. Most people will be willing to pay $15/person/day for LL to avoid only using stand-by queues. It appears it's basically FP+ at $15/day. Personally, we'll pay it.

$15 isn’t bad but if they increase like they did with Maxpass it’ll be $20 in a year and $30 a couple years after 🙁.

Last edited:
I’m thinking rope drop will be more important than ever, for everyone.

Damn. This is complicated, particularly when you add in the 2-phase rope drop. For the E-ticket rides that don’t require a virtual queue, on-site guests can rope-drop one during their first 1/2 hour, but I wonder how backed up things will be for off-site guests’ rope drop. They may have to spring for the E-ticket purchase, wait for end of night drop off, or suffer in line.

I don’t think anyone is forgetting the basics. We get your point, no one is forcing anything. We can still discuss here. If you don’t like the discussion, that’s fine, please go elsewhere.

If I don't like certain parts of the discussion, that's part of a discussion. It's a message board. I'm doing just fine, thanks.
Honestly, the ignore function works for all involved...

Lightning Lane. “Honey, we have a lightning pass; get in the lightning lane!”

Not easy or catchy like FastPass :rolleyes:

So Disney is now telling me that every day of my vacation I need to wake up by 7:00am in order to book (in advance) only ONE tier 2 or tier 3 ride, while simultaneously debating whether to purchase individual lightning lane attractions (AKA the tier 1 rides that I actually want to ride?).

Every single trip, my one goal is to ride flight of passage without waiting 3 hours. The only way to do that now is to pay to get on the ride. Any bets on whether it will be over $100 to ride?

I received this email also. My trip begins 10/7. I was concerned that this meant Genie will be up and running by then. However, I also received this email at a different email address my upcoming trip isn’t associated with. So, I’m hoping that this was just a generic email to people who have booked WDW vacations in the past. Did anyone who doesn’t have a trip reserved receive this email?
FWIW, I'm traveling 9/21 and got this (though it could just be that they sent it out to everyone, and I'm traveling in January). But for people sort of wondering when/if - this is a possible data point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter