Disney Magic 12 nt. British Isles Cruise 2017

I can remember it like it was yesterday. We had beautiful weather for our embarkation day.... we were lucky.

Same here. Too bad it's over. Looking at that shot of my son reminded me of how great it felt being up on deck that afternoon before we set sail. What a fantastic day

Every time I read these updates I want to go back.

Every time I read one I wish we were back.

Every time I write one I do too!!

Last edited:

You are convincing me to do this cruise!

I really hope you get the chance. You will love this cruise. I'll keep trying to twist your arm with more updates! :D

I'm so curious about this itinerary. I really think I'd like to do it in 2019.

It's a great itinerary and I hope they offer it again in 2019. To be surrounded by the beauty and splendor of England, France, Ireland, Scotland and Wales was incredible. What an amazing cruise.

Love, Love, Love reading. It takes me back to those 12 magical nights and visiting the British Isles. This was our first cruise over 8 nights, and our first time on a lower deck too (Deck 1 for us). I am so hoping that Disney does another 12 night BI in the future, we would return for sure!

Really enjoying your report. Reminds me of when my family and I were on the cruise the previous year. I still remember checking in in Dover and the Disney rep saying we had to turn over our passports. We had no idea. We were so thankful we brought our driver's license for picture ID as we almost didn't since we thought we would be using our passports as ID! Newcastle was our first port, and we didn't need our passport there. At least for Ireland, it was toward the beginning for you all!!!

I would definitely go again as there is soooooo much more we need to experience.

Can't wait to read more!

I really hope you get the chance. You will love this cruise. I'll keep trying to twist your arm with more updates! :D

It's a great itinerary and I hope they offer it again in 2019. To be surrounded by the beauty and splendor of England, France, Ireland, Scotland and Wales was incredible. What an amazing cruise.

This was a delicious read! We are on the 7 night BI in 2018. Will you be writing about the actual cruise and ports of call? Or maybe you have on a different thread? Your information is very helpful. Thanks!

Love, Love, Love reading. It takes me back to those 12 magical nights and visiting the British Isles. This was our first cruise over 8 nights, and our first time on a lower deck too (Deck 1 for us). I am so hoping that Disney does another 12 night BI in the future, we would return for sure!

Thanks. So glad you're enjoying it. I hope Disney adds the 12nt BI again as well. It was such a great cruise and they can do so much more with this itinerary. We'd love to go back.
I hope you'll share your experience with Deck 1 when I cover ours on Deck 2. The lower deck cabins were a big cost savings for this type of cruise so we took a chance on the Cat 9B. There were many times I second guessed it but could never pass up the price so we stuck with it. I am so glad we did!

Really enjoying your report. Reminds me of when my family and I were on the cruise the previous year. I still remember checking in in Dover and the Disney rep saying we had to turn over our passports. We had no idea. We were so thankful we brought our driver's license for picture ID as we almost didn't since we thought we would be using our passports as ID! Newcastle was our first port, and we didn't need our passport there. At least for Ireland, it was toward the beginning for you all!!!

I would definitely go again as there is soooooo much more we need to experience.

Can't wait to read more!

Stay tuned. Much more to come!

This can't be a coincidence we all feel the same way about wanting to go back! I can't even downplay it which might make it tough to get a good rate next time. (or snag a lower deck cabin). There is so much more we want to see and do as well.

Your experience really helped prepare us for that passport issue and I'm fully expecting it to be effect again in 2018. I had forgotten 2016 sailed in the reverse direction. I loved that we winded things down with visits to Kirkwall, Invergordon and Newcastle at the end of cruise. But I could picture this being a very nice way to start things off as well.

Ireland was only Day 4 for us, so we weren't without passports for very long. Big difference compared to Day 9 for you guys. What's interesting is that green letter I posted stating specifically a passport was required to go ashore in Newcastle, so I'm curious how Disney got around this issue in 2016.

And why only Newcastle? I haven't checked any of the other European sailings next year to see if Newcastle is even on one of Disney's itineraries. Hopefully it is or will be again. We had an incredible visit to Lindisfarne that day.

This was a delicious read! We are on the 7 night BI in 2018. Will you be writing about the actual cruise and ports of call? Or maybe you have on a different thread? Your information is very helpful. Thanks!

Thanks so much and welcome! Perfect choice to book the 7-nt BI for 2018. Yes! I will be writing and showcasing all of our ports of call on this report so you've definitely come to the right place for more details to help plan such a great cruise next year.

Disney Magic 12nt. British Isles
Sunday, July 9, 2017 – Dover, England
Day 1 continues...

(weather – sunny high 77 °F / 25 °C)

"I'm on a boat"

and right here is where the Magic begins....

It took 6.5 hours to get to the port of Dover today, and just like that – we were on the ship!

Sporting big smiles as Disney proudly announces our arrival to………………

...an empty atrium

DSC02719.JPG

Still, despite the lack of fanfare that welcome never gets old.
Iron Man tends to use an alias: started with tony stark; steve rogers; etc…but now it’s more advanced. We gave “Thurston Howell III & Lovey” once for my parents on their first Disney cruise and they loved it. Too funny!

So take advantage and mix it up.

Normally this area is bustling with cruisers as you make your grand entrance.

DSC02718.JPG

But it was pretty cleared out by now.

DSC02720.JPG

We were a good 3 hours behind everyone else - and we felt it.

First thing on our to do list was drop our carry-ons in the cabin. Staterooms were open since 1:30pm and we wanted to check out the large porthole.

One of the reasons I keep complimenting our Deck 2 Cat 9B ocean view stateroom #2550 was it's close proximity to the Deck 3 gangway (used many times this cruise)

I'm standing close to the mid ship stairway in this photo. (just around the corner)
#2550 is just 1 quick flight down, right off the atrium with no elevator to contend with.

DSC02721.JPG

and here I am at the base of the stairs on Deck 2 taking a pic of JQ in front of our cabin door.

DSC01672.JPG

Stateroom 2550 highlights:
  • Very convenient coming to and from Deck 3 - guest services, port adventures, Lumiere's, the after hours area and the gangway are all right there.
  • easy access to Deck 4 - shopping, the Walt Disney theatre, shutters, the D Lounge (fmr studio sea) and the promenade deck.
  • close to the mid ship Deck 5 areas - kids clubs; Buena Vista theatre
  • price - min. 4-5k cheaper than a veranda for this cruise.
  • large porthole window mid ship - provides a view and brings in natural light with great mid ship location (no motion sickness for any of us)
  • quiet - I mean super quiet. not a sound.

DCL_DeckPlans.jpg

source: Disney Magic deck plan from the DIS
http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-cruise-line/wonder-magic-deck-plan.htm

A few inside pics of the stateroom.
(I'll post more to show how well we all fit later)

DSC02819.JPG

DSC02811.JPG

DSC02813.JPG

But the mid ship Cat 9's do book quickly so if you are considering one, reserve it as soon as possible.

Ok it's 2:35 and carry-on's are dropped off.

there's only 40 mins. left for the buffet.

cruise navigator 13.jpeg

Let's eat.

Last edited:
Curious, did your room have the two separate bathrooms?..... one room with a toilet/sink and the other with the shower?

We did an interior room to save on cost. We were mid ship 6th floor. My only complaint was at night, other not so quiet passengers going to their state rooms, (mostly kids). Grrr!

first room picture shows split bath on left, first door closed is sink/toilet and second door open is shower/sink.

Curious, did your room have the two separate bathrooms?..... one room with a toilet/sink and the other with the shower?

We did an interior room to save on cost. We were mid ship 6th floor. My only complaint was at night, other not so quiet passengers going to their state rooms, (mostly kids). Grrr!

first room picture shows split bath on left, first door closed is sink/toilet and second door open is shower/sink.

Yes the Cat 9's had the split bath which was great. (designated with the 2 doors as @IrishEye pointed out)

DSC02823.JPG

They're much nicer than the standard inside staterooms IMO - mainly because of the size, bath and porthole.
We've been on the Magic 2x prior to this - and both times booked a midship upper deck standard inside cat 11 (similar to yours @85glht).

We always thought the upper deck was better than the lower decks so we kept passing on the cat 9 staterooms.

I don't know what we were thinking? Deck 2 midship turned out to be awesome. Not only did we have a lot of extra space vs the cat 11, but that window with natural light really makes a difference. I'll always opt for this from now on whenever the balconies are too expensive. You can't beat the price!

Here's a quick comparison of the Disney Magic cat 11 vs cat 9 if anyone else is interested.

Main differences are:

Cat 9B - large porthole window / 214 sq. ft. / split bath / larger vanity with 2nd set of drawers / full dresser / mini dresser (up against the closet)

(stateroom 2550)

DSC02810.JPG

DSC02824.JPG

Split bath - private sink and toilet (door on left)

DSC02797.JPG

with a corner shelving

DSC02798_1.JPG

Separate sink with tub/shower (door on right)

DSC02847.JPG

Cat 11 - no window / 184 sq. ft. / full bath / vanity with only 1 set of drawers / no full dresser / no mini dresser (the closet may have been smaller also)

(stateroom 7543) much smaller!

IMG_0873.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

(stateroom 7567)

DSC03821.JPG

Single bathroom - sink/toilet/tub/shower (no corner shelving)

DSC03834.JPG

So ours was the Cat 9B - Deluxe Oceanview stateroom - described here on the DCL website
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships/magic/staterooms-oceanview/

Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom
The same square footage as a Deluxe Inside Stateroom, this room type includes delightful porthole vistas. Be dazzled by incredible sunrises and stunning sunsets through 1 or 2 portholes, all from the plush comfort of your room.

Deluxe Oceanview Staterooms classifications and locations are as follows:

• Category 9A: Decks 5, 6 and 7
  • Category 9B: Deck 2
  • Category 9C: Deck 2
  • Category 9D: Deck 1

Rooms on Decks 1 and 2 offer Guests convenient proximity to shipboard restaurants and nightclubs while Decks 5, 6 and 7 are upper decks with more commanding views.

Specifications

• Sleeps: 3 to 4
  • Size: 214 sq. ft.
  • Room Configuration: queen bed, single sleeper sofa and upper berth pull-down bed (if sleeping 4)
  • View: One large porthole window or 2 small porthole windows (in Category 9D staterooms)
Amenities
  • Custom Premium Plush Euro-top mattress
  • Frette® 300-thread-count, 100% cotton linens
  • Premium bath towels
  • 22" LCD flat-screen TV with remote control
  • Full-length mirror
  • Ample closet space
  • Refrigerator
  • In-room safe
  • Hair dryer
  • Phone with voicemail messaging
  • Individual climate control
  • H20 Plus® spa, bath and shower products
  • WiFi (additional fee required)

Design

Disney Cruise Line has thought of everything to ensure first-rate comfort and convenience during your voyage. Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom design features include:

• A sitting area with a couch, TV and desk
  • A heavy privacy curtain to separate the sitting and sleeping areas
  • A “split bath”: a bathroom with a vanity, sink, shower and tub and a half bathroom with a vanity, sink and toilet (in all but accessible staterooms)
  • Elevated wooden bed frames for under-bed storage of suitcases and other large items
  • Attractive yet functional cabinetry in the living area

and here's the cat 11 from the same site:
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships/magic/staterooms-inside/

Standard Inside Stateroom
With more space than you’d find in same-class rooms on most other cruise ships, our “Standard” is superior.

Standard Inside Staterooms classifications and locations are as follows:

• Category 11A: Decks 6 and 7
  • Category 11B: Decks 5 and 6
  • Category 11C: Deck 2

Rooms on Deck 2 offer Guests convenient proximity to shipboard restaurants and nightclubs while Decks 5, 6 and 7 are upper decks. Please note that Category 11C sleeps 3 only.

Specifications

• Sleeps: 3 or 4
  • Size: 184 sq. ft.
  • Room Configuration: queen bed, single sleeper sofa and upper-berth pull-down bed (if sleeping 4)
  • View: no exterior view

Amenities

• Custom Premium Plush Euro-top mattress
  • Frette® 300-thread-count, 100% cotton linens
  • Premium bath towels
  • 22" LCD flat-screen TV with remote control
  • Full-length mirror
  • Ample closet space
  • Refrigerator
  • In-room safe
  • Hair dryer
  • Phone with voicemail messaging
  • Individual climate control
  • Porthole mirror
  • H20 Plus® spa, bath and shower products
  • WiFi (additional fee required)

Design
Disney Cruise Line has thought of everything to ensure first-rate comfort and convenience during your voyage. Standard Inside Stateroom design features include:

• A sitting area with a couch, TV and desk
  • A heavy privacy curtain to separate the sitting and sleeping areas
  • A full bathroom with a vanity, sink, shower and tub
  • Elevated wooden bed frames for under-bed storage of suitcases and other large items
  • Attractive yet functional cabinetry in the living area

Last edited:
I agree, you had a much nicer room.... we knew our excursions would be pricey so we opted for the least expensive room. We didn’t spend much time in our room BUT having the toilet separated from the shower is a nice option... I kind of missed that. Usually we get a veranda but not this trip.

Leading up to this 12 night cruise I was slightly concerned about being on deck 2 with only a window. Possibly feel too confined or cut off from cruise activities.

Our cabin was actually more convenient than any other we've had. No long treks to and from the stateroom after a long day of excursions. Only 1 flight up or down from the gangway and always quiet. I won't hesitate to book this area again on our next British Isles cruise... if they ever offer another 12 night. 7 nights is just not enough ports for me.

Disney Magic 12nt. British Isles
Embarkation Day
Sunday, July 9, 2017 – Dover, England
continues...

(weather – sunny high 77 °F / 25 °C)

Embarkation was such a beautiful day! Sunny and 77 °F

DSC02906.JPG

Here’s a quick rundown of our Dover Embarkation Day so far:

Dover Cruise Terminal 2:
  • Check-in - 9am to between 3– 4pm / (FYI: Disembark - 7:15 to 9:15 am)

DSC02936.JPG

• 11:30 am - Boarding starts

• Lunch: Main buffets

11:45 am to 1:45 pm – Carioca’s

12:00 pm to 3:15 pm – Cabanas (Deck 9 - just beyond those double doors)
JQ is so close!

DSC02727.JPG
  • 1:30 pm – staterooms available

Plus all this still to come:
  • 4:00 pm - All aboard
  • 4:15 pm - Lifeboat Drill
  • 4:45 pm - Adventures Away Deck party
  • 5:00 pm - Port Departure
  • 6:00 pm - Dinner 1st seating / 8:30 pm - 2nd seating
  • 6:00 pm to 11:00 pm – Shoppes open!
  • 6:30 pm & 8:45pm – “Be our Guest” Welcome Aboard Show – Walt Disney Theatre
But we’re only at this point right about now:

2:30 pm – our actual boarding time (DCL transfer bus #2 from Sofitel London Heathrow)
2:40 pm – drop carry-ons in cabin and heading to lunch

Remember that Disney sales pitch for purchasing their transfers? – “walk right on the ship with immediate access to your stateroom”?

Well, not at 2:30.

Too little too late IMO.

Staterooms had been ready since 1:30 and cruisers began boarding at 11:30.

Which is probably the main reason taking a DCL bus to Dover would not be my first choice in the future.
(btw - they do work great for disembarking)

Plus, those all important arrangements that need to be taken care of immediately onboard, opened to guests beginning at noon.

The times and locations for signups, etc.. were spread out within that 6 page Voyage / Day 1 cruise navigator we picked up off the counter at check-in.
(also available hanging on the wall at guest services)

re-linked here from pg15:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...les-cruise-2017.3623371/page-15#post-58424869

It’s pretty busy, so you may have to read it twice to find information.

For Example:

1) For additional limited character meet & greet tickets:
(namely: Princess gathering / Frozen gathering or VIP Character breakfast)

Stop by the Port Adventures Desk from 12 - 3pm

Information was listed on side 2 of the Day 1 navigator insert:

cruise navigator 10.jpeg

2) To make or change a Palo reservation for brunch or dinner you weren’t able to online or change your dining assignment:
Visit Lumiere’s from 12-3 pm.

Details were on the bottom of the front page of the Voyage Navigator:

cruise navigator 7.jpeg

3) To register for a beverage seminar:
Visit Lumiere's from 12-3 pm or Guest Services after today

Details were on the inside cover of the Voyage Navigator.

cruise navigator 8.jpeg

As you can see everything was available to arrange in person from 12 to 3 pm.

And again, here we were walking on the ship at 2:30 pm.

So you really can’t afford to arrive as late as we did and hope to secure anything known to sell out.

FYI - here's the back page of the navigator missing from the above link: (I don't believe I ever posted it earlier)

cruise navigator 4.jpeg

ok it's 2:40pm - and we are walking deck 9 to Cabanas for lunch! (they close at 3:15)

No time to swim (too bad)

DSC02722.JPG

JQ and IM can't help but admire the amazing view!

DSC02723.JPG

Who can blame them.

DSC02724.JPG

next up: who's hungry?

Last edited:
Awesome update! The views in Dover and as you sail away are MARVELOUS!!! My husband took a million pictures of the view!!!

We too were on deck 2 but in an inside cabin. Perfect location. The inside wasn't as bad as I thought since we didn't spend that much time in the cabin and it was perfect for the baby to nap as it was dark!

Can't wait for more!

I agree, you had a much nicer room.... we knew our excursions would be pricey so we opted for the least expensive room. We didn’t spend much time in our room BUT having the toilet separated from the shower is a nice option... I kind of missed that. Usually we get a veranda but not this trip.

Awesome update! The views in Dover and as you sail away are MARVELOUS!!! My husband took a million pictures of the view!!!

We too were on deck 2 but in an inside cabin. Perfect location. The inside wasn't as bad as I thought since we didn't spend that much time in the cabin and it was perfect for the baby to nap as it was dark!

Can't wait for more!

Thanks again. Those views from Dover were incredible. I really miss this cruise.

You both did good with choosing the inside staterooms. They are very popular and booked up quickly for a longer more expensive cruise like this one. You really can't beat the savings. And we weren't in our cabins much either, with so much going on.

The cost of this cruise is exactly what drove us to try the cat 9 vs a verandah. If Iron Man wasn't with us, we'd have considered a cat 10 or 11 if all else failed. But I have to be honest, the inside staterooms have been hit or miss with me regarding being affected by movement. I used to think I was not a motion sickness candidate having spent many years growing up with a boat - but that's not the case. The upper deck inside cabins are all we've tried so far, and whenever they weren't midship, it did cause a lot of dizziness for me. I won't book them again.

Plus I kept running up on deck to check the movement at sea and gauge where we were to land in the predawn hrs of the morning with that inside cabin. Not good.

Now the window - deck 2 - cat 9 - I had no problems with. granted this was midship also, but I'm thinking it's more the natural light than anything else that made the difference. Who knows? but zero dizziness on a 12nt cruise is a big deal for me! So I was willing to pay more to try a porthole cabin.

I can't remember the price difference, but I know it was less than 1000.00 for the 2 of us to book a cat 9 vs 10 or 11 on the lower decks. Well worth it IMO since we wound up with 3 adults.

but I totally agree that every bit of savings counts on the more expensive European cruises - esp. this one to the BI.

Leading up to this 12 night cruise I was slightly concerned about being on deck 2 with only a window. Possibly feel too confined or cut off from cruise activities.

Our cabin was actually more convenient than any other we've had. No long treks to and from the stateroom after a long day of excursions. Only 1 flight up or down from the gangway and always quiet. I won't hesitate to book this area again on our next British Isles cruise... if they ever offer another 12 night. 7 nights is just not enough ports for me.

I don't know if I agree that a 7nt is a deal breaker for Europe in general. British Isles is a sacrifice with what they chose to scale back to for 2018, but it's still an awesome cruise.
You forget we did the 7nt to Alaska from the East coast and IMO it was the same travel time, with only a few ports so why not a 7nt in Europe?

I'm gonna keep twisting your arm JQ!! Europe is the new destination for me with Disney cruising and I'm not ruling any sail out!!!

T

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter