Disney Magic Kingdoms

Here's a silly little update from me:

Bernard: L9 (should be complete today)
Moana (from a chest very recently): L8, close to 9
Jack-Jack (from a chest months and months ago): L8
Boba Fett (got him last go 'round of SW): L9
Yoda: L8

I have 246 gems. I am a little tempted to buy a chest to try to win Winnie the Pooh or Owl, but I shouldn't do it right? They are both about 10% odds. Just keep saving to 500? Yes, I talked myself into saving. With an announcement Friday, I should see what we might need gems for.

I won't buy those chests. It's basically just gambling for pixels at best. If you feel like paying for characters, can you find one that you can just get outright?

I just watched the stream as well. Some interesting changes coming.

The big new thing is the introduction of "Seasons". Each Season will span 3 updates. So the first Season will be with Update 60, 61 and 62. One good thing they are doing, with the introduction of Season, is removing the Happiness meter and the depletion of Happiness over time. Now you will accumulate Happiness during each Season. As you accumulate Happiness, you will unlock various rewards (e.g. magic, gems, costumes and characters). You can accumulate Happiness by completing Daily, Weekly and Event tasks. Most of the Daily and Weekly tasks seem to be similar to what players already due (e.g. send out parades, collect from attractions/concessions, etc.). As for the rewards you can earn, there will be free ones available at each level. But you can purchase the Kingdom Pass that will give you a higher level of award to earn, along with the free ones. I play FarmVille 3 that uses the same concept. The Kingdom Pass, at least from the video, seems pretty steep at $19.99. But given that it lasts roughly 3 months, that may not be all that much.

With update 60, there will be two new permanent Rescuer's characters - Penny and Miss Bianca. There was no indication if either of them were premium and would cost $ or gems. There were two Up characters as well - Dug and Charles Muntz. Dug will be a free reward for the new Season. Charles Muntz will be available if you purchase the Kingdom Pass and reach its appropriate reward level. FYI, you can use gems to move up the reward levels.

Two new attractions and some benches are being introduced. The Madam Medusa Riverboat (12x10) and Paradise Falls (10x10) are the new attractions. There is also going to be a Socks Plush Concession (5x5) to showcase the recent Buzz Lightyear movie. FYI, the Socks Concession is cute. There was no mention of any new land.

Next there is a Tower event starting on July 14th. The second chapter will begin on July 19th. The third chapter will start on July 24th, with the Tower event ending on July 29th. This is the Lion King Tower Event, with Scar being the big character reward. Chapter 1 you can also get Nani (Lilo & Stitch). Chapter 2 has Hiro (Big Hero 6). Chapter 3 has Mad Hatter (Alice in Wonderland).

One last item that was introduced was the concept of Time Skip Tokens. Basically you can use these to shorten the time to it takes for the characters to do their tasks. Each token will shave off 10 minutes. Definitely look at the Patch notes to learn more about this. They indicated the Patch Notes should be available on their website now. Just checked and they are there right now.

You can download Update 60 starting on July 12th.

Yeah, I am not thrilled if they stick to the $19.99 for the Kingdom Pass. It was bad enough that certain characters were priced at $9.99 or $14.99. Now to even be able to earn Mutz you have to cough up $19.99? I don't think so, Disney. Inflation is bad enough in real life right now. I hope that we find out that we are able to use gems towards the Kingdom pass, but will it be even possible to earn enough gems to "buy it"? I suspect not given the poor gem rate coming out of the parades now.

I guess we will have to see how the tasks within the seasons go, but since I am down to just a handful of characters I suspect that I am going to have to bring out characters that I sent home in order to complete the tasks. Sigh.

I am OK with not having to worry about happiness loss, if the way that it works in the seasons turns out to be reasonable. I guess we'll see.

Guess we'll see how this is implemented, but there is 0% chance I am paying $20 for a pass every three months (or ever). So, if there is truly no other way to get Charles, I guess this will be the first character I simply won't be obtaining in this game. I quit spending any money on this game after the great Dopey debacle (or was it Grumpy, I don't recall), and won't ever again.

No Carl or Russell? Am I missing something?
I would have figured they would have started with Carl and Dug, not Charles Muntz. Maybe with them introducing this whole Season thing they are taking a more cautious approach to see how well it goes. Maybe they won't receive as much negative feedback if they had put Carl as the Kingdom Pass reward. One thing I noticed when I reviewed the patch notes, it appears that they failed to mention that the Sox Plushie Stand and the Paradise Falls attraction are Kingdom Pass Reward (i.e., part of the paid rewards). I think this will make many people mad.

Well now that I finally have my gems over 500, the new drop rate of gems suck, I don’t know that I want to spend it on Orville but maybe save for upcoming events!

Well now that I finally have my gems over 500, the new drop rate of gems suck, I don’t know that I want to spend it on Orville but maybe save for upcoming events!
He might help with the new characters, but knowing the idiots over at Gameloft, one of these two new characters might be gem as well? I have no idea how this new system is going to work and at this point, I'm honestly not sure I care.

With the new update, since happiness is no longer something to collect, the video after parades apparently now is for magic. So, I guess 2-3 less ads per days I'll be playing, so I guess that's an unexpected bonus to the update.

edit: Penny needs 50 and 40 items, with only 2-3 (long) tasks per item, so she's going to take a while to get. No sign of the new season pass yet.

edit2: Oh, and so far, the most annoying part of this update is that characters who are capable of granting wishes, can now have wishes requested even when they are at home, so you'll have to bring them back to the kingdom to grant the wish. Not a fan of that at all.

edit3: And apparently we're back to more than 8 wishes at a time being available - I'm up to 10 now. I thought I was maxed out on wishes granted, but I have now received two more for characters, since updating. And, when you click on the character to grant the wish and return them from home, it doesn't take you to the character automatically - you have to scroll through to manually find and return them. Also, apparently the season pass thing starts Thursday with the Tower Challenge.

Last edited:
It seems that Bianca will unlock after more Rescuer tasks are completed. This leads me to believe that Bianca will not be a premium character like Orville. But really won't know until Bianca is unlocked.

I have been unable to update in iOS and windows so far. I did go to the facebook page and they posted that there is a problem with the Windows update, and ask that we not download yet. But, there were some comments that there were problems with other versions to.

Is there a trick to force the update?

ETA: I was able to force the iOS update by going all the way into the DMK install page instead of just hitting "open". I also force updated Windows, and now I am unable to run the game. I suggest everybody waits on Windows.

Last edited:
Oh, and so far, the most annoying part of this update is that characters who are capable of granting wishes, can now have wishes requested even when they are at home, so you'll have to bring them back to the kingdom to grant the wish. Not a fan of that at all.
That sounds AWFUL. I was already completely over happiness, and excited at the prospect of it mostly going away. No they've made it worse???? Ugh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter