Disney on Broadway

Hunchback of Notre Dame (Der Glockner Von Notre Dame) has already played in Germany, I believe. I have the cast recording, but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Hopefully it won't suffer the same fate as Dances with Vampires- dark and apparently amazing in Germany, but terribly terribly campy in NY.

The only Disney Broadway show I've seen is Little Mermaid. It was alright- fun, but not my favorite thing I've seen. I saw a few minutes of Beauty and the Beast/got to go backstage when I volunteered for BC/EFA once. That was fun. :)

I honestly can't think of another show I'd like to see at the moment... I had a list at some point, but I can't think of a single one now. I suppose another "princess" musical, probably Aladdin. I heard somewhere that there's this rule that Disney doesn't really want to have more than one musical with a princess on Broadway at a time :confused3

I would love to see Newsies on broadway, it would be perfect.

I've seen the Lion King and it blew me away. I was never a big fan of the movie but decided to see the show on tour and it was amazing.

if i had to pick any show... it would probs be hunchback as first choice then aladdin or robin hood! lol idk how rh would work, but it has some potential? right?

Someone already said it but yes, they did do Hunchback on stage in Germany. At the time it was intended to reach New York, but never did. It was apparently still in development for adaptation in 2008, but that was the last time anything was mentioned about it.

For me I have seen Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Aida, Tarzan, and The Little Mermaid. So basically... everything in New York so far besides Mary Poppins. I am not a fan of Mary Poppins to begin with so I have no desire to go see it. My family went without me and loved it, but I would rather go see Lion King again at full before going to see Mary Poppins at a discounted price.

Their stage productions I feel have gradually gone a bit down hill. Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, and Aida were all fantastic! Tarzan I personally loved more then the critiques seemed to but it had a few huge flaws in the plot changes they made that ruined the message of it as well as the character of Clayton. Annnnnnd then there was The Little Mermaid. God I am so happy only paid $26 for a standing room only ticket cus it was not worth much more then that. Total DISASTER. They took a bunch of staging elements that work well apart but put together created a total MESS. That plus the even more outrageous changes to the plot then what they did to Tarzan made it almost painful to watch. It had so much promise with the demo record I heard... and then it just didn't live up to all the hype.

As for what the future holds, the two titles that have been dropped though NOT confirmed are indeed Dumbo. What? I guess it could be cute with a little kid as Dumbo but there are SO many better plots out there to make into a musical. And though it pains me to say this the second title that is in heavy rumors is... Tim Burton's adaptation of Alice in Wonderland thought I DOUBT this is going to get much push at the moment since another production about Alice's adventures in Wonderland is already through workshops and projected for next season.

I have always thought that Hercules would make a great stage musical. It has the potential for some REALLY creative costuming and stage effects as well as I personally like the songs. It doesn't get enough credit in my opinion.

B&B - loved it
TLC - PHENOMINAL!
Tarzan - loved it

My SIL saw MP and she said it was good.

OMG if Newsies ever came to Broadway I would probably freak out and would pay whatever they wated for opening day tickets.

I felt a little sad when I heard about a Toy Story musical.

No, thanks. Please keep my childhood on the big and small screens, Disney.

I really want to see Little Mermaid and Mary Poppins on Broadway, and my school's putting on Beauty & the Beast this upcoming school year. Can't wait to see it!

I nominate a Song of the South stage adaptation. Yeah, yeah, there's been racial controversy about the movie, but look at what you can get away with on Broadway.

I agree Song of the South would be a beautiful musical if given the chance. :thumbsup2

I saw Mary Poppins just a few weeks ago in NY and it was AMAZING! Even my DS7 and DS9 loved it. :goodvibes

The Lion King by far is the best musical of all time!!! :worship: and I love musicals!

I think Princess and the Frog would be cool... it would be challenging, but the music in it is AMAZING, and if they can do The Lion King, I am sure they could find some creative way :goodvibes I can dream at least.

Just bought tickets to the Newsies Broadway production for the end of May. Tickets were hard to get for that time. Its seems they are selling out fast, weekends anyway, since it is a limited engagement (for now)!

Lion King on Broadway was wonderful! I would also love to see a staged version of Aladdin. The "A Whole New World" scene on the flying carpet could be very creative!

Just bought tickets to the Newsies Broadway production for the end of May. Tickets were hard to get for that time. Its seems they are selling out fast, weekends anyway, since it is a limited engagement (for now)!

They extended to August 19 now! I have a feeling it's going to be an open-ended run, it seems to be shaping up to be a big hit.

And it's about time! I saw the movie in theaters twice when it first came out, both times we were the only people there. :laughing:

I'm seeing it on Broadway on April 30. Can't wait! :cool1:

I haven't seen it yet, but I've read some reviews saying that Newsies is the best staged adaptation of a Disney movie so far. Do people agree with that? I'm sure it's great, and I can't wait to see it.

I just saw Newsies this past Sunday and it was incredible. The singing and dancing is on point. For anyone that is interested in seeing the show you should go to the Newsies facebook page and checkout the video that they posted this morning. I would post the video myself but I can't since I don't have 10 posts yet.

I've had this crazy idea that they should adapt "A Nightmare before Christmas" into a seasonal show (like the Grinch and Elf broadway musicals). Sure their are somethings in the movie that proably would be hard to stage, but I had this cool idea that Oogie Boogie should be a bunraku puppet thats controlled by two puppeteers, and at the end it would rip open to reveal his bugs.

I just saw Newsies this past Sunday and it was incredible. The singing and dancing is on point. For anyone that is interested in seeing the show you should go to the Newsies facebook page and checkout the video that they posted this morning. I would post the video myself but I can't since I don't have 10 posts yet.

Here it is. Love it! Can't wait to see this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5wvimJFi9s&feature=relmfu

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter