Disney possibly purchasing property in Grapevine Texas

Kirby

DIS Veteran
While eating lunch with a friend of ours today, he mentioned that he was bidding on a job at the new Opryland Hotel that was going to be built in Grapevine. Apparently this hotel is going to be huge with a lake inside with boats that you can ride in. In the conversation, he mentioned that he had heard from some of the men in charge of that project that Disney was either looking at some property or had already purchased some (I can't recall which) in order to put in a water park. Of course, when Disney was mentioned, my ears perked up. He also said that these men were being very tight lipped about the matter and would not say more. There is quite a bit of activity going on in that area with the new outlet mall, race track, Hilton? Convention Center, easy access to DFW, etc., so I thought that I might mention this to see if anyone else had heard anything.

Ah, the perenial Disney in Texas rumor. I'm suprised Disney doesn't own half the state by now given all the land they are supposed to have bought. This is the first time I have heard Grapevine mentioned though. Don't get me wrong, I really hope this rumor is true. I would love to see Disney open a park here in Texas. Sadly though, I don't hold out much hope.

Hey I've got a great Idea. How about a new park called Disney's Texas Adventure. The idea worked so well in California.

LOL WDWHound. I love that Texas Adventure comment. :)

I just hope that SOMEONE is building a waterpark in this area. All we have is that lame thing from Six Flags and the little NRH2O or whatever it's called. This is a HUGE metro area and it needs some water parks desperately.

I doubt that Disney will be the one to build though considering the current climate at the company. But maybe it means that someone else is looking to build and as usual, the rumor mill has it being Disney?

If anyone is looking to build a waterpark in the DFW area it is probably a Schiltterbahn subsidiary. For you non-Texans, Schitterbahn is a huge waterpark in New Braunfels, TX. They manufacture many of the latest water rides for other parks, including a water powered up hill raft coaster type thing. They have recently opened a second park in the Corpus area that is doing well and it is rumored that they are looking at other locations.

Hey! I live in Grapevine and would love to have Mickey as a neighbor!!
I imagine it's just another one of those Wild Rumours. But if I see anything even resembling mouseears out there - ya all will be the first ones I let know.

Aren't the property prices sky high in that area? Doesn't make alot of sense. Go 15 miles north and you could probably buy all of Argyle for the same price...

Argyle? Yikes, I must pull out my map!

A Schlitterbahn subsidiary would be super. You know that the old one in New Braunsfels keeps being chosen as the no. 1 waterpark by groups into that sort of thing don't you? Here's hoping!

Grapevine is very close to DFW...and land prices are huge there...so it would make sense to purchase land farther away from all the hustle and bustle of the airport and las colinas.

You are so right about the land prices here and Disney has never been one to spend the big bucks on land. Their normal mode is to go into some remote area and buy up scads of property at dirt cheap prices on speculation. We would all probably be amazed at how much land Disney owns through little phantom companies.

The Opryland Hotel and Cowboys golf course have set up shop in that area.

One would think Disney a bit foolish to come in and try to compete there. It does not fit the penny pinching ways to try that spot.

Grapevine is up the road from my house, but I'm not counting on it!

True, same rumor 50th verse.
I remember when Disney had their annual stockholder meeting in Fort Worth I read on here that now there was confirmation that Disney was building in this area. Truth was Bass brother own boat loads of stock and happened to also own place on meeting-Bass Performance Hall. Coincedence? Doubt it!
All of us in Metroplex would love all of these Texas rumors to be true but alas nothing.
Also, since I have to drive past that very location to go to work I would be in for a heck of a longer drive. But then, I can't imagine being able to drive past anything Disney without stopping. :)

There were even rumors for years that Disney had bought property in Shawnee, Oklahoma. Makes alot of since to me since our weather is so predictable. 60's and 70's this week then supposedly highs in the 30's for most of next week. How would they handle the ice storms or tornados? I know it doesn't happen as much in Grapevine, but can't the weather be a little to cold there for a Disney type complex? Maybe the Houston area, but not this far north.

Lori

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter