Disney Rasing prices on almost everything

...and if you think about it, that makes sense. It's unlikely that all of these entertainment services are suddenly going to take large cuts in their revenue without some of them folding. You'd think that the way to pay less is to only pay for the stuff you watch, but for everyone does that, it doesn't work.

For example, ESPN makes about $8-$9/month from every single cable/satellite subscriber who has the channel in their lineup, whether they watch it or not. For every sports fanatic, there are probably two or three households who couldn't care less. If only the sports fanatics wanted to pay for ESPN, the channel is not suddenly going to get by on 1/4 to 1/3 its revenue, it's going to raise the price so that people who really want it support it. It's no accident that most analysts figure the direct-to-consumer cost has to be in the low- to mid-30s to break even.

Now figure that, for most sports, the content is spread across multiple channels. Want to watch Big Ten college football? You need to have: NBC/Peacock, CBS, Fox/FS1/FS2, and the Big Ten network. Pretty soon you are back to where you started.

One interesting side effect of all this, at least for me: I am starting to wonder why I watch some of the stuff I do. Once you put a specific dollar figure on "watching Tottenham each week" it starts to look like something I don't really need as a something-more-than-casual fan. If I really want to watch, I can go to the fan meet-up in town instead, where we watch most games in a local bar.

(And before any Gooners chime in with the quips about St. Totteringhams Day, I see you.)

Last edited:
Last November, I paid $80 for a year of Disney plus. With two price increases, this year ill pay about $160. Note, the level will no commercials.

But curious, the level with ads, Is it ads in the beginning only or every 10 mins throughout the show.

Last November, I paid $80 for a year of Disney plus. With two price increases, this year ill pay about $160. Note, the level will no commercials.

But curious, the level with ads, Is it ads in the beginning only or every 10 mins throughout the show.
It's thru out the show or movie. It's "close" to the same as watching broadcast tv.

Meh, prices of everything have gone up all year. I just got back from Walmart and had four plastic sacks of some groceries and it was $145. It's called inflation, across the board.
Yep, inflation everywhere you turn (except for locked in items like a car payment or something).
My favorite example - at my local grocery store, the store brand tortilla chips used to be $1 when you got it on sale. A few months ago those there 4 for $5, so $1.25.
Now that bag is $1.99.
I don't know about everyone else, but I have not received a 99% pay raise in the past year so.... guess I'm not buying tortilla chips anymore. Hope this bubble bursts at some point and things normalize a bit.

It's thru out the show or movie.
Are they at least placed at sensible points, rather than mid-scene? This is one of the things that annoys me to no end about e.g. "on demand" movies on some ad-supported services and another reason I rarely if ever watch them. I might put it on in the background if I am cleaning or ironing, but not to sit down and watch.

tortilla chips
Our favorite brand appears to have changed from 16oz to 12oz bags rather than raise the "sticker price".

It's thru out the show or movie. It's "close" to the same as watching broadcast tv.

Wow, even on movies? That's lame.I know on Paramount+ if you have the ad-tier, you get a long string of ads before a movie, but then no further interruptions. Shows are different and do have commercial breaks.

Yep, inflation everywhere you turn (except for locked in items like a car payment or something).
My favorite example - at my local grocery store, the store brand tortilla chips used to be $1 when you got it on sale. A few months ago those there 4 for $5, so $1.25.
Now that bag is $1.99.
I don't know about everyone else, but I have not received a 99% pay raise in the past year so.... guess I'm not buying tortilla chips anymore. Hope this bubble bursts at some point and things normalize a bit.
I use budgeting software and have records for the last several years. If everyone could truly see how much prices have risen I think they would be shocked.

I don’t have a single line item in my budget that hasn’t increased. Not one. All of my utilities, services, vet bills, groceries , insurance (life, home, car). I’m in Canada so my mortgage is renegotiated every five years. It will be going up 600-700 a month in February.

So yeah, Disney raising the price for their streaming service right now makes that a no brainer. We will cancel it. When you’re being squeezed on all sides that’s the first thing to go.

...and if you think about it, that makes sense. It's unlikely that all of these entertainment services are suddenly going to take large cuts in their revenue without some of them folding. You'd think that the way to pay less is to only pay for the stuff you watch, but for everyone does that, it doesn't work.

For example, ESPN makes about $8-$9/month from every single cable/satellite subscriber who has the channel in their lineup, whether they watch it or not. For every sports fanatic, there are probably two or three households who couldn't care less. If only the sports fanatics wanted to pay for ESPN, the channel is not suddenly going to get by on 1/4 to 1/3 its revenue, it's going to raise the price so that people who really want it support it. It's no accident that most analysts figure the direct-to-consumer cost has to be in the low- to mid-30s to break even.

Now figure that, for most sports, the content is spread across multiple channels. Want to watch Big Ten college football? You need to have: NBC/Peacock, CBS, Fox/FS1/FS2, and the Big Ten network. Pretty soon you are back to where you started.

One interesting side effect of all this, at least for me: I am starting to wonder why I watch some of the stuff I do. Once you put a specific dollar figure on "watching Tottenham each week" it starts to look like something I don't really need as a something-more-than-casual fan. If I really want to watch, I can go to the fan meet-up in town instead, where we watch most games in a local bar.

(And before any Gooners chime in with the quips about St. Totteringhams Day, I see you.)

You also need to factor in that when ESPN goes streaming only you're not going to see a $9 discount on your cable. Greed is good.

Are they at least placed at sensible points, rather than mid-scene? This is one of the things that annoys me to no end about e.g. "on demand" movies on some ad-supported services and another reason I rarely if ever watch them. I might put it on in the background if I
It's been a few months since I switched to the ad free tier but from what I recall the tv show interruptions are more in line to what your used to then movies. Movies can be anytime at any point from what I remember it's really annoying, I can deal with the TV shows it's the movies that bother me. I honestly don't mind paying the extra for ad free depending on how much I watch a particular streaming service.

For decades, my father-in-law who only watched Fox News and the local news, paid $140 a month for cable TV.

He passed away and now so is Linear TV, meaning we are going to have to pay more for the specific things we want to watch.

With audiences being fragmented, it becomes harder and harder to make money.

It's sort of like taxes. If we all pay, a city can afford to build an airport. If only the people that fly pay the tax, we can't afford to build an airport and no one flies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter