Disney Rasing prices on almost everything

For decades, my father-in-law who only watched Fox News and the local news, paid $140 a month for cable TV.

He passed away and now so is Linear TV, meaning we are going to have to pay more for the specific things we want to watch.

With audiences being fragmented, it becomes harder and harder to make money.

It's sort of like taxes. If we all pay, a city can afford to build an airport. If only the people that fly pay the tax, we can't afford to build an airport and no one flies.

Except the problems of linear TV are solved by not paying an actor a million dollars for a few weeks of work. Not paying a sports league a billion dollars. Etc. Etc.

I use budgeting software and have records for the last several years. If everyone could truly see how much prices have risen I think they would be shocked.

I don’t have a single line item in my budget that hasn’t increased. Not one. All of my utilities, services, vet bills, groceries , insurance (life, home, car). I’m in Canada so my mortgage is renegotiated every five years. It will be going up 600-700 a month in February.

So yeah, Disney raising the price for their streaming service right now makes that a no brainer. We will cancel it. When you’re being squeezed on all sides that’s the first thing to go.

Wow. I had no idea that Canadian mortgages worked like that. That really stinks. If rates go back down before the 5 years are up, can you refinance to get the lower rate?

For decades, my father-in-law who only watched Fox News and the local news, paid $140 a month for cable TV.

He passed away and now so is Linear TV, meaning we are going to have to pay more for the specific things we want to watch.

With audiences being fragmented, it becomes harder and harder to make money.

It's sort of like taxes. If we all pay, a city can afford to build an airport. If only the people that fly pay the tax, we can't afford to build an airport and no one flies.
One of the nice things is though you can curate your own channel lineup and save money if you want to.

We're active outdoors but not really into watching televised sports so we did away with the ESPNs.
Also made a conscious decision to not subscribe to ANY cable news channels. I find them all repetitious and they give me a hyped up view of world events.

ABC/CBS/NBC/Fox terrestrial broadcasting stations cover more than enough local and network news and break into normal programming when there is something that is truly "breaking" news.

Wow. I had no idea that Canadian mortgages worked like that. That really stinks. If rates go back down before the 5 years are up, can you refinance to get the lower rate?
In general yes you can. Each mortgage will have different clauses and penalties for breaking it early. So you have to do the math. We do have some shorter and longer mortgages available but the interest rate changes depending on the term.

I think the most popular one is a 5 year, though now that rates have gone up so much many people are getting a 2 or 3 year in hopes that it comes back down by renewal time. But you pay a higher rate for the shorter mortgage term.

England is on the same system I think.

Wow! Sorry to hear about that increase!
Thanks . We will be ok thankfully. It just stinks to pay so much more for the exact same thing. I think the real worry is the people who extended themselves too much when prices were high and rates were very low during the pandemic. Those renewals will start in 2024/2025 and I think that will mean a lot of people struggling and selling.

In general yes you can. Each mortgage will have different clauses and penalties for breaking it early. So you have to do the math. We do have some shorter and longer mortgages available but the interest rate changes depending on the term.

I think the most popular one is a 5 year, though now that rates have gone up so much many people are getting a 2 or 3 year in hopes that it comes back down by renewal time. But you pay a higher rate for the shorter mortgage term.

England is on the same system I think.
We live in the UK and while you can have a fixed rate mortgage for any period between 1 and 10 years, with different fixed rates, many homeowners still choose the standard variable mortgage or a tracker mortgage which follow the Bank of England base rate, so you are not locked in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter