Disney Resorts to start charging parking fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m a DVC member. Bought in in 2004 and have been coming two to three times a year since 1999.
The parking doesn’t even affect me but when I saw the parking fee to regular guests it made me angry. I thought to myself Seriously a parking fee??? People already pay a premium to stay at Disney. This is crazy to me. I truly feel bad for people that scrape to do a Disney vacation and now have this added. Disney to me is supposed to be magical no matter what your budget is.
I was just at Disney for 12 days. Five at Port Orleans for my daughters dance team and seven at The Boardwalk on my DVC. There were alot of issues that I haven’t seen in my twenty years. Dirty rooms, trash around, cast members that were not the typical friendly people we have usually dealt with. Main pools closed at 8pm, some really terrible food and service. The last five years quality has dropped at an alarming rate. I thought to myself what is going on. This is not the Disney I fell in love with.
Many parents from the Dance team said if our studio wanted to come again they weren’t coming back.
My parents stayed at the Beach Club for 10 days and said they will never go back. My father has a bad back (8 operations) and his bed was really sunk in. He asked if he could change rooms and was told no because all the mattresses were the same. The woman at the desk told him to try using the pullout couch. Seriously??
I was going to renew my annual passes when we were there only to be informed it went up over 30 a person. I said forget it and put it on hold.
( I hadn’t been on here in a couple weeks leading up to our vacation and missed the posts over tickets going up again.) I am still really on the fence about renewing them. I have gone every September for my daughters birthday since she was 5 as a special daddy daughter trip and now I’m not so sure. We might start a new tradition. Thinking about trying universal and going to Harry Potter since she’s a big fan of the movies.
Like I said it’s not the parking fee because it doesn’t even affect me. Fortunately its not the money for my family. I’m just very disappointed in all the price increases and lack quality over the last five years.
Honestly I just wish the Magic of Disney would find its way back.
If your father needs a firm mattress, the idea of the sofa bed may not be a bad one. In 2016 I spent a night on the sofa bed in a Saratoga Springs studio, and that mattress was more of a gymnastics matt than a mattress. I was okay for a night, but am considering what to do for future nights on sofas.

This is precisely how I feel! I don’t understand the people who can easily find Disney replacements. I mean, I’m happy for you that you’re excited for other vacations-genuinely; no sarcasm there, I’m happy you’re excited- but to me, nothing replaces that Disney feeling. We’re DVC but even if we weren’t we’d still go and pay to park. Because for my family, personally-and obviously your mileage may vary as seen in these comments- it’s worth the money for the magic and how carefree I feel while there! (No small thing-I have TERRIBLE anxiety).

Thanks for understanding my post!

We love to travel all over! But Disney is in it's own category for us.

Honestly, WDW is not for everyone and that's okay. :)

Finally all caught up! That only took 3 days. :laughing:

A lot of great points have been made. I enjoyed reading this thread. It’s nice when there’s so much agreement. :goodvibes

I was pondering an email to George Kalogridis. Came up with this. It’s set to the tune of Grim Grinning Ghosts. No idea if I should send it...

When the cars in the lot

And it’s after dark

George now wants you to pay to park

He intends to immobilize

As well as capitalize

Greed greedy George is out to standardize

Now we’ll try to run

To avoid that bite

And open our wallets to stay off-site

Where they don’t penalize

We’ll never acclimatize

Greed greedy George you better realize

Now the camels back is about to break

These fees are becoming too much to take

We’ll no longer patronize

Parks we no longer recognize

Greed greedy George you should apologize

This is precisely how I feel! I don’t understand the people who can easily find Disney replacements. I mean, I’m happy for you that you’re excited for other vacations-genuinely; no sarcasm there, I’m happy you’re excited- but to me, nothing replaces that Disney feeling. We’re DVC but even if we weren’t we’d still go and pay to park. Because for my family, personally-and obviously your mileage may vary as seen in these comments- it’s worth the money for the magic and how carefree I feel while there! (No small thing-I have TERRIBLE anxiety).
I agree with your sentiment, however, here is the rub. While costs have went up, perks have went down. I am a cop and have been for 30 years. I work a rough area and when I go to Disney, a lot of stress and tension leave. My wife tells me I act like I am 12. I don't mind paying extra for more, but no longer is the "WDW model" the "WDW model." Disney set the industry standards, and for the better part of 40 years, people were trying to catch up or one-up Disney. It was not uncommon for competitors to compare themselves to WDW. When someone caught up, Disney did more. Now they are doing less.

Look, I understand those posters who will defend Disney. Disney is in the business to make money. What my objection and many other's objections are is that for the price you are paying, the return is less.

I pay to park at Port Columbus Airport at an off-site location. It is $2 a day cheaper, but they take me to the airport in my car, then when I return, they pick me up in my car. For a few extra dollars, I can have them detail and wash my car, and for a few more dollars, if my car needs an oil change, they will do it for me. Or I can pay $18 a day and park in the garage, be close to the baggage claim, and not wait for a shuttle. Or I can pay a little less, wait for a shuttle that carries 10 people, and wait for 2-3 buses until I get on. Convenience is what the customer thinks it is for them. The value of parking at a WDW resort lot has very little in perks, except that it is a place to park. And I guarantee that the cost of the resort room has figured into it the parking lots.

The obscure fees that WDW is now charging doesn't really amount to any perks for their guests, but it does increase profit for Iger and the shareholders. Disney always advertised themselves as a family place, where dreams are made. Now, with off-site hotels offering even better perks for a smaller price, Disney is making it a place to where value is no longer a goal, but just making money is.

Finally all caught up! That only took 3 days. :laughing:

A lot of great points have been made. I enjoyed reading this thread. It’s nice when there’s so much agreement. :goodvibes

I was pondering an email to George Kalogridis. Came up with this. It’s set to the tune of Grim Grinning Ghosts. No idea if I should send it...

When the cars in the lot

And it’s after dark

George now wants you to pay to park

He intends to immobilize

As well as capitalize

Greed greedy George is out to standardize

Now we’ll try to run

To avoid that bite

And open our wallets to stay off-site

Where they don’t penalize

We’ll never acclimatize

Greed greedy George you better realize

Now the camels back is about to break

These fees are becoming too much to take

We’ll no longer patronize

Parks we no longer recognize

Greed greedy George you should apologize
PLEASE send this!!!!

I agree with your sentiment, however, here is the rub. While costs have went up, perks have went down. I am a cop and have been for 30 years. I work a rough area and when I go to Disney, a lot of stress and tension leave. My wife tells me I act like I am 12. I don't mind paying extra for more, but no longer is the "WDW model" the "WDW model." Disney set the industry standards, and for the better part of 40 years, people were trying to catch up or one-up Disney. It was not uncommon for competitors to compare themselves to WDW. When someone caught up, Disney did more. Now they are doing less.

Look, I understand those posters who will defend Disney. Disney is in the business to make money. What my objection and money other's objections are is that for the price you are paying, the return is less.

I pay to park at Port Columbus Airport at an off-site location. It is $2 a day cheaper, but they take me to the airport in my car, then when I return, they pick me up in my car. For a few extra dollars, I can have them detail and wash my car, and for a few more dollars, if my car needs an oil change, they will do it for me. Or I can pay $18 a day and park in the garage, be close to the baggage claim, and not wait for a shuttle. Or I can pay a little less, wait for a shuttle that carries 10 people, and wait for 2-3 buses until I get on. Convenience is what the customer thinks it is for them. The value of parking at a WDW resort lot has very little in perks, except that it is a place to park. And I guarantee that the cost of the resort room has figured into it the parking lots.

The obscure fees that WDW is now charging doesn't really amount to any perks for their guests, but it does increase profit for Iger and the shareholders. Disney always advertised themselves as a family place, where dreams are made. Now, with off-site hotels offering even better perks for a smaller price, Disney is making it a place to where value is no longer a goal, but just making money is.

The point is, I (and she ) were explaining why we will still go to Disney, why it's not (for me) comparable to other places I love to visit. From my previous post there is something I get from visiting there that I don't get from other places. Perks, fees, crowds are incidental to it, they don't make much of a difference to me.

And most people don't understand that and that's okay. We all visit for different reasons, mine just happen to be a little weirder I suppose!

This is a not so welcome reminder that a Disney trip has always been a luxury, not a necessity. My family couldn't afford a trip to WDW at all when I was younger. I didn't go for the first time until I was in my late 20s and could pay for it myself.

As with every other price increase it means for most of us some adjustments or cuts. Either the value is there for you at a Disney resort, or it is not.

That actually is not true. For us old timers there was a time when Disney was affordable to the average middle class family. My parents took us twice as kids. Once summer 1972 and 1978. My Dad worked in a factory and my Mom worked as a clerk typist. The first trip there was 2 Adults and 4 children 14, 10, 9 and 4 we had two rooms at the Contemporary in the garden wing. The second time it was 2 adults and 3 children 16, 15, and 8. We drove both times. We also had vacations in between so we didn't save for 6 years to go to Disney. They had friends that weren't much more well off then them but they went every year since it opened in 1971 until their children were in college, 1980ish. You obviously are too young to remember when Disney was a true family destination that most families could afford to go to. That was how it was advertised. Now they are just greedy corporation that is trying to squeeze every dime out of their customers. And yes it is no longer affordable for most people and hasn't been for many years with each year getting worse. It is time to show them with our pocketbooks that enough is enough. IMO there no longer is any value at Disney. The magic is gone.

Last edited:
The point is, I (and she ) were explaining why we will still go to Disney, why it's not (for me) comparable to other places I love to visit. From my previous post there is something I get from visiting there that I don't get from other places. Perks, fees, crowds are incidental to it, they don't make much of a difference to me.

And most people don't understand that and that's okay. We all visit for different reasons, mine just happen to be a little weirder I suppose!
I go for the same reasons. It is a very transformative place for the guests. But I can now get the same perks off-site and cheaper than I can being on-site. Read my signature line...I vowed that I would never stay off-site again. I was wrong.

That actually is not true. For us old timers there was a time when Disney was affordable to the average middle class family. My parents took us twice as kids. Once summer 1972 and 1978. My Dad worked in a factory and my Mom worked as a clerk typist. The first trip there was 2 Adults and 4 children 14, 10, 9 and 4 we had two rooms at the Contemporary in the garden wing. The second time it was 2 adults and 3 children 16, 15, and 8. We drove both times. We also had vacations in between so we didn't save for 6 years to go to Disney. They had friends that weren't much more well off then them but they went every year since it opened in 1971 until their children were in college, 1980ish. You obviously are too young to remember when Disney was a true family destination that most families could afford to go to. That was how it was advertised. Now they are just greedy corporation that is trying to squeeze every dime out of their customers. And yes it is no longer affordable for most people and hasn't been for many years with each year getting worse. It is time to show them with our pocketbooks that enough is enough. IMO there no longer is any value at Disney. The magic is gone.

Hmm. We went in the 70's and 80's and it was quite an expense for my parents. My dad did have to save and splurge on it. I was the only kid I knew at the time in my grade school who got to go to Disney - they thought we were rich!!!

Well said. Thank you.

Then count yourself very lucky. We were definitely middle class and a trip to WDW was well out of reach. We were lucky to drive 4 hours and spend time near the lake.

Btw, I'm 51 years young. My mom worked in a factory and my dad was a retail manager. Trips to WDW were not in the budget. You were very fortunate.

omg I didn't even realize how many partial quotes I was responding to. That's really overwhelming! Sorry! I just read pages and pages at a time, going back in time...

They don't charge onsite people. Or APs.

Which is just weird.

Try Disneyland? Where they had a resort fee for all from at least '07, then switched it to a parking fee a few years later for those with cars. At least it's BEEN like this.

Yep.

Huh. I feel the opposite. Walt died 3 years before I was born. Disney has BEEN those people at the top since before I started going there...

I do it because I dislike the bus (I grew up on a greyhound b/c my dad drove...buses do NOT impress me), we generally stay at villas so *of course* we're getting groceries, I drive to all themeparks onsite, and of course I drive to other resorts for food, because there's no direct transportation. And to go to Sweet Tomatoes and YardHouse.

When I go to Universal I stay at Universal.

Yes.

Yep.

Yep. I'll just look elsewhere to places that have been charging for parking since before I started going to WDW. I'll look elsewhere to places that haven't owned the whole entire place since the 60s when they bought it at cut rate prices because they didn't allow the name "Disney" to be mentioned.

Yep.

All the yesses.

Right? And compared to Universal where they actually deliver it TO the room, it's just pathetic at disney.

YES.

Marry me, HopperFan. :) ;)

Excellent.

This brings up a question.

Disney is quite smart with their money. This makes me think of the timing of Lucas selling Star Wars. My brother is well versed in CA tax law, and apparently Lucas sold SW something like a *day* before a new tax law went into effect in CA, which would have cost him *billions*.

Now that some new tax things are happening, I wonder if there has been some change to corporate taxes where having an extra parking fee will benefit them *even more* than we think it would.

LOL.

There ARE offsite places that charge for cars there. Hilton Anaheim is a terrific hotel but they have a high parking fee. There are others.

I just sat through a tour with my cousin. Thankfully her guide (and I might switch to that guide should I ever want to add on, which is getting less likely every millisecond) barely lied at all, but she was VERY clear that MFs do rise each year. I'm sorry your tour people weren't as clear.

Aw, that's sad! Did you post ahead of time in the Uni forum to get help in planning? And you're DVC, so of course it cost more to pay there. To me there is NO comparable WDW trip, though; Uni wins every time.

Ayep.

Gooooooo.

You either show your ID or scan your band as you drive in. The charges will be taken care of by the front desk no doubt, unless they put in the scanners to leave, too, like at Uni.

Oh, they were.

Exactly.

If you're actively avoiding staying at hotels that charge parking, then you KNOW they exist. All you're doing is not staying at those places.

True. Since they've owned their land for decades it kinda makes sense, though. And it was a SELLING point for them.

Hershey park is a peer to Disney? hmm. I'm going to go for Universal being a peer. I imagine SeaWorld is, too, though I've only been to San Diego, and they most definitely charge for parking there. And at Uni Orlando (and Hollywood).

Amazon came into existence because Bezos did a market study in the 90s and found that selling books online would yield the greatest profit. What mall owners did stupidly later is not on Bezos' head.

Other stores are MORE than welcome to sell through amazon!!!

Huh. DCL charges exactly the same things that Royal does. In fact Disney got rid of the FUN arcades that my family liked to create an extra-cost ice cream parlor *just like on Royal*. Espresso, drinks, spa fees...all the same. Their stores look fancier than the stores on Royal, but they still have them. And Royal stores have more useful items.

Food is the same DCL to RCCL, service is better IMO on RCCL, and the aesthetics are solely based on what an individual likes.

Most resorts haven't used paper parking passes for a few years now.

See that makes ZERO sense to me. Leave a car parked and you're ALSO using the onsite transportation! So you're using more resources, not less.

That would NOT be industry standard, though. Anyone staying onsite at Uni and also parking at the citywalk/parks garage is being ridiculous and that's on their own head.

Yep.

That's because there's no OTHER way it could play out. Disney says "we're going to charge you to park", and it plays out with Disney charging to park.

Horrid reason.

Oh please don't. It's local to us, and our paycheck comes from them.

If a brick and mortar store is overcharging and underserving to such a degree that they don't have anyone shopping there, they weren't good business owners. And they were MORE than welcome to create a storefront on amazon. DH loved helping people set those up, even before and well after he worked in Sellers Support. Businesses who kept their store open AND sold on amazon did sooooo well.

Yeah, that's logical.

I have an opposite memory....

Ha! Have you ever taken a survey from them? Can you say "possible answers could not be more obviously geared towards the result they want????" They aren't neutral. At all. They want what they want and they create the surveys to get what they want.

A parking fee doesn't doesn't mar the experiences I've had over the years. You obviously don't like Disney. I get it.

Last edited:
@Farro, precisely. Nothing will ever match for me what Disney can provide.

@Kevin355 i understand the point you’re making too (also thank you for keeping people safe! You must have a TON of stress!). I wonder how much of it, for me, is that I have never known any other way of Disney. So I love it as is. Does that make sense? I loved it as a small child but I wasn’t paying so I had no idea and what small child notices stuff like that anyway? As an adult all I’ve ever known is *this* Disney World. My husband I just went for the weekend last weekend. Was it super crazy crowded? Yes. Did the bus annoy me at times? Yes. Was it still magical for me? Heck yeah! I tried to focus on that part. Sorry if this was a ramble but hopefully it makes sense? People absolutely have a right to their opinions and decisions that they no longer want to go but for me, it’s still personally so worth it.

Which is it? Crowds will go down or every person who stops going Wil have 10 willing to step in?

(Spoiler alert...crowds aren't going down)

Awesome answer. It was exactly what I was thinking when I read his two posts. I agree crowds in the parks are not going down. Even if the crowds are low Disney makes it feel crowded by decreasing staff and ride capacity.

@Farro, precisely. Nothing will ever match for me what Disney can provide.

@Kevin355 i understand the point you’re making too (also thank you for keeping people safe! You must have a TON of stress!). I wonder how much of it, for me, is that I have never known any other way of Disney. So I love it as is. Does that make sense? I loved it as a small child but I wasn’t paying so I had no idea and what small child notices stuff like that anyway? As an adult all I’ve ever known is *this* Disney World. My husband I just went for the weekend last weekend. Was it super crazy crowded? Yes. Did the bus annoy me at times? Yes. Was it still magical for me? Heck yeah! I tried to focus on that part. Sorry if this was a ramble but hopefully it makes sense? People absolutely have a right to their opinions and decisions that they no longer want to go but for me, it’s still personally so worth it.
Makes complete sense. Part of the Magic for me is being in the bubble. But now that many perks are being offered to those out of the bubble at a lesser cost, I am just wondering what the overall perks are for staying on-site. I can't really determine any.

Makes complete sense. Part of the Magic for me is being in the bubble. But now that many perks are being offered to those out of the bubble at a lesser cost, I am just wondering what the overall perks are for staying on-site. I can't really determine any.

Well, no perks at this point. I agree that's too bad.

But the hotel we stay in is part of the experience for us and I for one think the theming is fantastic - so off-site will not cut it. I don't want to stay in a rented house either, I love hotels!

I have to say, we aren't made of endless money and I admit Disney is the only destination that I give these "allowances" to. Otherwise I am scouring for great deals for our trips. :)

It does make one curious as to why they extended the perks to those outside the bubble. Any theories?

Well, no perks at this point. I agree that's too bad.

But the hotel we stay in is part of the experience for us and I for one think the theming is fantastic - so off-site will not cut it. I don't want to stay in a rented house either, I love hotels!

I have to say, we aren't made of endless money and I admit Disney is the only destination that I give these "allowances" to. Otherwise I am scouring for great deals for our trips. :)

Are we the same person? completely agree on all points. I even thought the Caribbean beach was still fun, even with all the construction!

I love other vacations, but I haven't found anywhere else that quite "replaces" Disney either. Most places I'm happy to see once or twice, but Disney keeps me coming back. Which is why I'm not here saying I'm done with Disney. Done with Disney resorts, maybe, but the parks? No way! I was really disappointed with our stay at CBR earlier this month but the parks were as magical as always, down to a cast member giving my son two anytime Fastpasses for our whole group to 'make up' for the time we wasted locating his phone after *he* left it on Spaceship Earth.

Then count yourself very lucky. We were definitely middle class and a trip to WDW was well out of reach. We were lucky to drive 4 hours and spend time near the lake.

Btw, I'm 51 years young. My mom worked in a factory and my dad was a retail manager. Trips to WDW were not in the budget. You were very fortunate.

Same here. I'm 38. My mom is a college-educated professional and even though she was a single mother we were solidly middle class. But Disney was out of reach for most of my childhood and we didn't go for the first time until the summer I graduated from high school. A lot of that was the airfare, which cost more in 1997 than I've ever paid as an adult even without controlling for inflation, but it was also the resorts and park tickets... we stayed offsite because the choice was a Disney resort and no waterparks/extras or an offsite resort and a day at River Country and two sit-down meals in the parks.

If your father needs a firm mattress, the idea of the sofa bed may not be a bad one. In 2016 I spent a night on the sofa bed in a Saratoga Springs studio, and that mattress was more of a gymnastics matt than a mattress. I was okay for a night, but am considering what to do for future nights on sofas.
He knew the bed wouldn’t be what he really needs but he figured a little suffering to see his granddaughters dance would be worth it. Problem is the bed was really bad. The pullout is an absolute worn out disaster. The bars were digging into him. He ended up using the Murphy bed under the TV. It was the one he could take.
It’s the lack of Disney trying to help blew me away. You would think that a man pulling up on a scooter that can only stand with a cane and asking politely if something could be done would be taken into consideration.
My parents went to Aruba recently and the first bed he had there also had an issue. He went to the front desk and they took him to a few different rooms and told him try the mattresses and let us know what works. As soon as he found one that was suitable they moved him. That is exemplary customer service. That is why my parents said they will 100% be going back again and again to that resort in Aruba and no longer to Disney.
Makes me sad because Disney is our favorite place to go as a family. I’m the guy everyone makes fun of because of my love for the place. I don’t hate it, I still love Disney and will continue to go back.
I just wish the quality and magic that I grew accustomed to wasn’t disappearing.
Disney has always been magical to me. I want everyone no matter the budget to feel that same way. Disney is just making it harder and harder for people who aren’t well off to have that feeling.
The lack of service and price increases is just really disappointing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter