Disney savers: How do you save up for Disney?

The way my wife and I save up money for our Disney trips is from a tip I learned on these boards about 5 years ago. It was at that time that I learned about Mystery Shopping and demo companies that work for the grocery stores. I have feel in love with Mystery Shopping at typically do around 10 visits a week. Most of the time, the jobs don't pay that much, but they do cover me and my wife for our dining out, as well as grocery visits. The money that I would of spent for groceries or going out to eat I then put into my Paypal account to save up for our trip.

Dr D

We do the change jar method, too. Actually, my husband bought me a Disney bank in the shape of Cinderella's Castle (with Mickey and the gang standing in front of it) during a WDW trip in 2008 and that is our change jar. :goodvibes At the end of the week, we take all of the change from our wallets, pockets, under the couch cushions, under the seats of the cars, etc. and drop it in the bank.

Our state (Connecticut) offers money redemption for recyclables (soda cans, bottles, etc.) and that really adds to the Disney bank. Once a month, I haul our bottles and cans to the redemption center at our local grocery store.

I sometimes will do online surveys, which are admittedly tedious and boring. I've had success with Quickrewards.net, as you can elect to be paid in Disney gift cards (denominations of $25 or $50).

I also have a store on Zazzle.com, where I sell tee-shirts. I only make about $25 - $50 a year with my store, but any extra money for Disney helps! ;)

We try to limit our dining out to once or twice a month. This is a continual struggle, especially on Friday nights when we all seem to be craving pizza.

What is Mystery Shopping? Am I missing something??? Thank you

Noahdove,

Mystery Shopping is going around and evaluating different types of establishments, all doing it undercover without the employee's knowing. After you go to the location, you go back home and enter your data on what you didn't or did see. Most of the times, the reports are yes or you questions with just a few narratives needed. The fee will depend on the client, but can vary from $10 to $40 plus reimbursements of the goods. Payment is usually done the month following your visit and is almost always done with either Paypal or a direct deposit to your checking account. One of the great things about doing shops is that most of the time you can do them on your free time which is a huge plus for me since I have a full time job. There are a few well known companies (Market Force, Confero, Corporate Research International and Trendsource) just to name a few. If you want to know more about doing MS feel free to send me a PM. Thanks!

Dr D

The way my wife and I save up money for our Disney trips is from a tip I learned on these boards about 5 years ago. It was at that time that I learned about Mystery Shopping and demo companies that work for the grocery stores. I have feel in love with Mystery Shopping at typically do around 10 visits a week. Most of the time, the jobs don't pay that much, but they do cover me and my wife for our dining out, as well as grocery visits. The money that I would of spent for groceries or going out to eat I then put into my Paypal account to save up for our trip.
Dr D
Ooh, I used to get Mystery Shopped all the time when I managed a Burger King during and just after high school! I have thought about looking into it, so I may just have to do that!

We do the change jar method, too. Actually, my husband bought me a Disney bank in the shape of Cinderella's Castle (with Mickey and the gang standing in front of it) during a WDW trip in 2008 and that is our change jar. :goodvibes At the end of the week, we take all of the change from our wallets, pockets, under the couch cushions, under the seats of the cars, etc. and drop it in the bank.

Our state (Connecticut) offers money redemption for recyclables (soda cans, bottles, etc.) and that really adds to the Disney bank. Once a month, I haul our bottles and cans to the redemption center at our local grocery store.

I sometimes will do online surveys, which are admittedly tedious and boring. I've had success with Quickrewards.net, as you can elect to be paid in Disney gift cards (denominations of $25 or $50).

I also have a store on Zazzle.com, where I sell tee-shirts. I only make about $25 - $50 a year with my store, but any extra money for Disney helps! ;)

We try to limit our dining out to once or twice a month. This is a continual struggle, especially on Friday nights when we all seem to be craving pizza.
I've tried the surveys before and wanted to cry I was so bored. Maybe I will look into the site you listed! Thanx for the info!

Noahdove,

Mystery Shopping is going around and evaluating different types of establishments, all doing it undercover without the employee's knowing. After you go to the location, you go back home and enter your data on what you didn't or did see. Most of the times, the reports are yes or you questions with just a few narratives needed. The fee will depend on the client, but can vary from $10 to $40 plus reimbursements of the goods. Payment is usually done the month following your visit and is almost always done with either Paypal or a direct deposit to your checking account. One of the great things about doing shops is that most of the time you can do them on your free time which is a huge plus for me since I have a full time job. There are a few well known companies (Market Force, Confero, Corporate Research International and Trendsource) just to name a few. If you want to know more about doing MS feel free to send me a PM. Thanks!

Dr D
I know I responded to you above, but wanted to also say thanx for the info, I am totally going to look into it!

If we have a big trip coming up we typically cut out off "fun" things about 2 months before-- no dining out, no movies, no expensive purchases!

I love some of the ideas on here!

We put away $100 per month by buying Disney gift cards. DH and I each do $50 and we use the gift card website. They have a huge selection so we find ones we think the other would like. You can also personalize them and use your own pictures. So this month I used a picture of our house since we celebrated the 1st anniversary of buying our first home. It serves two purposes: money saving for the trip and everytime we get a card it gets us that much more excited for our trip! :woohoo:

For my birthday one of my gifts was an extra GC above the $100 we got that month. When DH's birthday comes in Aug. I'm going to get him Lego store GC since he collects Legos and we always stop at the one in DTD when we're there.

And we have a change jar.

This is a great post..I'm trying to save money for a disney trip but its become too hard to go from having two working people to one..Me being a stay at home mommy we've had to juggle everything!! Fun stuff when all i wanna do is go to Disney and have fun with my family!!

I love this thread! Finally people who don't look down their nose at couponers! I too use coupons alot, and do not buy processed unhealthy foods with them. We also have money come right off our pays for vacation fund, any extra cash at x-mas, b-days, income tax, vacation pay all goes to Disney!

My youngest is finished preschool this June and I like that idea of still putting that money away as we are already used to not having it...nice!!:thumbsup2 Keep the great ideas coming!:)

This is a great question... and I read some wonderful things.
What I do, since I am in charge of planning all vacations and payments, here's what I do
* I work a few hours a week at one of DS's school, and that check goes right into the vacation fund
* any and all rebates that come back in cash goes into the fund
* both me and DH do focus groups, again into the fund
* yard sale money that I make goes in
* I love to shop and we have many famous named outlet's near us where I get FANTASTIC deals on things. I sell them on ebay and that goes into the fund
* have the Disney visa and charge all I can (pay off immediately as if I paid cash) and upgraded to the Premeir card to double points
* Purchased DVC and we do almost all our cooking etc in the condo
:cheer2:
* PS I am a contest junkie... and win a lot of prizes both cash and stuff, sell the stuff I can't use/don't want and you know what gets done with cash

This is a great post..I'm trying to save money for a disney trip but its become too hard to go from having two working people to one..Me being a stay at home mommy we've had to juggle everything!! Fun stuff when all i wanna do is go to Disney and have fun with my family!!
I know all about that! If you need any pointers, I am sure there are plenty of us who have done the same, so we can help you out! Just say the word!

If we have a big trip coming up we typically cut out off "fun" things about 2 months before-- no dining out, no movies, no expensive purchases!

I love some of the ideas on here!
Sounds like a plan! I can't avoid some fun before we leave b/c my daughter's b-day is two days before, but we will limit our other activities for sure!

We put away $100 per month by buying Disney gift cards. DH and I each do $50 and we use the gift card website. They have a huge selection so we find ones we think the other would like. You can also personalize them and use your own pictures. So this month I used a picture of our house since we celebrated the 1st anniversary of buying our first home. It serves two purposes: money saving for the trip and everytime we get a card it gets us that much more excited for our trip! :woohoo:

For my birthday one of my gifts was an extra GC above the $100 we got that month. When DH's birthday comes in Aug. I'm going to get him Lego store GC since he collects Legos and we always stop at the one in DTD when we're there.

And we have a change jar.
I like that you are able to make saving fun!

I love this thread! Finally people who don't look down their nose at couponers! I too use coupons alot, and do not buy processed unhealthy foods with them. We also have money come right off our pays for vacation fund, any extra cash at x-mas, b-days, income tax, vacation pay all goes to Disney!

My youngest is finished preschool this June and I like that idea of still putting that money away as we are already used to not having it...nice!!:thumbsup2 Keep the great ideas coming!:)
I think anyone who would look down on couponers is silly. Coupons are cash, and I like not having to pay for things with hard earned money. I would rather pay with a piece of paper! Hahaha! People love coming to my house! There is always an over-abundance of food! It kills me when the kids say there's nothing to eat. Spoiled brats!!! I guess they don't remember the days when we had barely anything.

This is a great question... and I read some wonderful things.
What I do, since I am in charge of planning all vacations and payments, here's what I do
* I work a few hours a week at one of DS's school, and that check goes right into the vacation fund
* any and all rebates that come back in cash goes into the fund
* both me and DH do focus groups, again into the fund
* yard sale money that I make goes in
* I love to shop and we have many famous named outlet's near us where I get FANTASTIC deals on things. I sell them on ebay and that goes into the fund
* have the Disney visa and charge all I can (pay off immediately as if I paid cash) and upgraded to the Premeir card to double points
* Purchased DVC and we do almost all our cooking etc in the condo
:cheer2:
* PS I am a contest junkie... and win a lot of prizes both cash and stuff, sell the stuff I can't use/don't want and you know what gets done with cash

All great ideas!! I knew I would find a great group of people willing to share their awesome strategies!

**On a happy dance type of note...I just wanted to say...We booked our flights today!!! :banana: Dancing banana, yeah, yeah!!! Woot, woot!!!!**

I know all about that! If you need any pointers, I am sure there are plenty of us who have done the same, so we can help you out! Just say the word!

Sounds like a plan! I can't avoid some fun before we leave b/c my daughter's b-day is two days before, but we will limit our other activities for sure!

I like that you are able to make saving fun!

I think anyone who would look down on couponers is silly. Coupons are cash, and I like not having to pay for things with hard earned money. I would rather pay with a piece of paper! Hahaha! People love coming to my house! There is always an over-abundance of food! It kills me when the kids say there's nothing to eat. Spoiled brats!!! I guess they don't remember the days when we had barely anything.

All great ideas!! I knew I would find a great group of people willing to share their awesome strategies!

**On a happy dance type of note...I just wanted to say...We booked our flights today!!! :banana: Dancing banana, yeah, yeah!!! Woot,
woot!!!!**

May I do the happy dance with you???:banana::dance3::cheer2::dancer:
Congrats for flights!!

Any OT that I work goes directly into the Disney fund. Also, my middle son pays his car insurance directly to us because he is still living at home and on our policy. I stick that cash in a secret hiding spot for Disney too. We didn't make him pay until he graduated high school last year so I have never factored this payment into our monthly budget. Obviously not everyone can do this but it is working for our situation :thumbsup2

May I do the happy dance with you???:banana::dance3::cheer2::dancer:
Congrats for flights!!

The more the merrier!!! Thanx for joining in!

On a bummer note now, with my hubby not working as much for two weeks and then not working at all for one week, I have been working so hard to stay on budget! I am afraid that if I were to go even slightly off of my budget plan, I would have a rough time getting back on! So far we've managed to make it and pay every bill, but there has been barely anything extra this month for Disney (besides the already budgeted amount), when last month I think we saved $1200!!!! I know I have time, but it was a bit of a kick in the pants this month. Argh. Today hubby worked his regular job, came home to eat, then left again to go to his side job, and will have to go directly to work again in the AM!!! I feel so bad for him. It just so happened that they needed him to work at the side job tonight. Extra money costs extra in energy I guess. We may keep our budget by the skin of our teeth this month!

I used to do about all these things. My husband was the biggest depositor of the change jar, but since his death, well that does not happen as much since I do not carry cash much, but what cash I do carry, the change goes in the jar. I did recently sell my husbands car and so that money will go to the Disney account, which is an interest bearing checking account. The tax return will also go into that account.

I like to do rebates when I can, all go into the Disney account. I also do surveys, I so not get cash, but get gas cards most times, this pays for my travel cost as I drive to Disney.

Every penny helps, and any extra money from any source goes to the Disney account.

I used to do about all these things. My husband was the biggest depositor of the change jar, but since his death, well that does not happen as much since I do not carry cash much, but what cash I do carry, the change goes in the jar. I did recently sell my husbands car and so that money will go to the Disney account, which is an interest bearing checking account. The tax return will also go into that account.

I like to do rebates when I can, all go into the Disney account. I also do surveys, I so not get cash, but get gas cards most times, this pays for my travel cost as I drive to Disney.

Every penny helps, and any extra money from any source goes to the Disney account.

Wow. I am really sorry for your loss. I can't imagine the strength it takes.

Way to keep making sure to the magic continues.

Ive been direct depositing money every paycheck into our savings account since August and everytime I get a raise or any extra I put it in there. I have it all on a spreadsheet too to keep track of it all. Recently I started making and selling homemade organic protein bars to my hubbys clients (he'sa personal trainer) and in just six weeks ive already made over $350. I want to make this a trip to remember for my little Ariel!

Blackbeltdisneygirl, really the hard part is not running straight to Disney and just staying there, I would if I could. Thanks tho, after 38 yrs of marriage, I am truely lost without him, so planning Disney trips is what keeps me going.

Seriously, I didn't even think of going to save the daycare costs. This next year will be my son's last in full time daycare. That'll be an extra $425/month that we won't be spending. And now it will be going right into savings! I was stretching thinking about a trip in 3 years - some days it seems like the budget is impossible - but y'all just made my day, so thank you!!!

Ive been direct depositing money every paycheck into our savings account since August and everytime I get a raise or any extra I put it in there. I have it all on a spreadsheet too to keep track of it all. Recently I started making and selling homemade organic protein bars to my hubbys clients (he'sa personal trainer) and in just six weeks ive already made over $350. I want to make this a trip to remember for my little Ariel!
This is what I am talking about! Becoming an entrepreneur!!! Today when we were at the flea market, we tried something new just to see what would happen. I had the girls whip up some cupcakes last night, and we put them on the end of our table. We made $8.00, and it was so easy. I know that doesn't seem like a lot, but we can expand on that and do more next time. Every little bit helps!

Blackbeltdisneygirl, really the hard part is not running straight to Disney and just staying there, I would if I could. Thanks tho, after 38 yrs of marriage, I am truely lost without him, so planning Disney trips is what keeps me going.
I would probably want to do the same. I want to do that now, and I have not suffered a loss. Congrats on your 38 years. It is a rare thing nowadays, and I always enjoy hearing of a couple making it like that. It gives the rest of us hope. My hubby and I are celebrating 14 years this June, and I am 34, so I guess by the time I am 58 I will have as many years under my belt as you and your husband had. There have been times I didn't think we would make it this far, but we have, and I can't imagine where I would be if he weren't here. I am glad you found something that keeps you busy and gives you joy. I guess that is what Disney is all about! Disney actually improved my marriage. I think we worked way too hard for way too long and still couldn't make ends meet. We never took the time to stop and appreciate each other b/c we just wanted to pay the bills and feed our kids. It took my parents taking the kids to Disney, and us tagging along for us to realize where we were headed if we didn't slow down and take the time. I am sure you can understand this: I finally understand what I would be missing if I did lose him. Now I appreciate every day with him. And...we make sure to take Disney trips now to give us a break to look forward to. Oddly enough, the ends have finally started meeting since we slowed our roll. Now all the bills are paid on time, and we pay extra on every bill. With learning to coupon there is always an abundance of food. I feel very blessed. Thank you for sharing with us about your husband. It makes me appreciate mine so much more.

Seriously, I didn't even think of going to save the daycare costs. This next year will be my son's last in full time daycare. That'll be an extra $425/month that we won't be spending. And now it will be going right into savings! I was stretching thinking about a trip in 3 years - some days it seems like the budget is impossible - but y'all just made my day, so thank you!!!

Yay! Maybe with saving that much you can go even sooner????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter