Disney Skyliner Accident

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twitter reports are so far only one line is moving, and it is still having issues, stopping and starting, reports of a door being stuck shut so guests at station couldn't get out... (Which would explain the stop/start). Far from smooth sailing.

If that picture of the piled up gondolas wasn’t floating around, I could almost see this as an evacuation drill.

I never have any desire to visit any of these parks when things open. Hagrid ride at Uni? Nope. Star wars land? Nope. Gondolas? Nope. I like riding things once kinks have been worked out. However, I do feel like the kinks in the monorail will never be worked out...

Last edited:

How in the world do they evacuate the gondolas over water?

They have special boats equipped with cherry pickers- I saw one parked at Art of Animation. I’m sure they’ve planned for an event like this, but probably didn’t expect it to happen so soon.

I'm talking about the Orlando situation specifically. You aren't going to find gondolas at ski resorts full of the elderly, children, and those with medical conditions that make them sensitive to heat. Maybe one or two people in a hundred, but not the high percentage you're going to find at a WDW theme park. That's what I'm talking about.

I think you'd be surprised at the number people served by urban gondola systems. Moveover, perhaps a WDW vacation isn't a good fit for people who are sensitive to heat. Surely the gondolas aren't the only place these guests would be at risk.

Twitter reports are so far only one line is moving, and it is still having issues, stopping and starting, reports of a door being stuck shut so guests at station couldn't get out... (Which would explain the stop/start). Far from smooth sailing.
Keep prayers going for all our fellow Disney fans stuck on the Skyliners tonight!! Especially for all the frightened children. This would be rough enough early in the morning but after touring the parks all day, no one can cope well when tired, child or adult. Praying from the heart for all involved!

I think you'd be surprised at the number people served by urban gondola systems. Moveover, perhaps a WDW vacation isn't a good fit for people who are sensitive to heat. Surely the gondolas aren't the only place these guests would be at risk.

As somebody who has heat intolerance issues, who visits Disney in the summer.... the difference is, in the parks you can step into an air conditioned shop or restaurant any time you want to cool down. Most of the rides are also air conditioned. Any that aren't, are easily evacuated.

ECV users shouldn't be a real problem because people use them can obviously stand and walk to some degree. A much larger issue would be someone who is confined to a wheelchair.
Sorry. I use an evc. Both my knees are bad and standing is extremely difficult. Walking is nearly impossible. I use an aisle chair for the plane and would definitely need assistance in this situation. When you add a "fear factor" (being afraid) I cannot move.

However,I do agree that some in a wheelchair would have a "harder" time. Hopefuly, no parent with a handicapped child is aboard. What a nightmare for them!!

I’ve seen the testing with the custom boat on hourglass lake where the simply walk out of the gondola onto the top deck of the boat. I have not seen a boat on the Epcot waterway.

Chances are they didn’t expect to have to do so many water rescues, so it will take a long time for those people to be rescued. For the ground rescues they can call in outside fire departments to help out, but those specialized boats with lifts can’t be called in. I’m guessing Disney had them custom made, and didn’t order enough.

Chances are they didn’t expect to have to do so many water rescues, so it will take a long time for those people to be rescued. For the ground rescues they can call in outside fire departments to help out, but those specialized boats with lifts can’t be called in. I’m guessing Disney had them custom made, and didn’t order enough.

That makes no sense. They know how many gondolas are going to be over the water at any time, so assume you have to rescue people in all of them, determine the acceptable time to execute all those rescues and then buy the appropriate equipment. They have heard of "plan for the worst, but hope for the best"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter