Disney Skyliner Accident

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth, the launch of the Skyliner has not been problem-free even before this. I was there earlier in the week and the line leading to Pop and AoA was down for an entire day. Nothing mechanical is without its problems, but for them to be happening so soon is troubling.

Last edited:
The thing that is scary is what if this happened in the middle of summer in the afternoon. The health risks to the elderly etc... would be off they charts as well as the liability to Disney. Potentially hours without medical attention...

I cannot imagine being stuck high above the ground, particularly over water, late at night with young children or elderly family members. Really unacceptable, it would be very scary and it seems there isn’t much comforting communication coming from Disney. I really hope the reality here isn’t as bad as social media is making it sound. If this is really as bad as we are hearing on this thread, this may indeed be the tipping point for Disney.
If you're over water, don't look down.

Just saw a few posts on another forum that they were compensated with $100 gift card and a Park ticket after being stuck for three hours

That is not what I expected. If I wasn't feeling litigious *before* that's what someone gave me after being stuck in a box in the dark sky for 3 hours with no communication our updates...

3.5 hour evacuation time in the hot weather we have literally half the year or more would result in some people (the very old and young etc) dying from the heat. They have to figure something else out. This is taking entirely too long.
This is outrageous if true. 3.5 hours in a sweltering box makes the air c
This is a joke. They can't hide it when we see photos with our own eyes. Just man up and say that you all screwed up. :rolleyes:
Lol. Not an accident when we can clearly see cars crashed into each other in a photo. Also unbelievable that they designed a system with no air conditioning or active ventilation that can potentially leave infants and disabled people stranded for over 3 hours in a metal box at near 100 degree temperatures outside. Just unbelievable.

So everytime a power failure gondolas will crash into each other at the station?

That should be interesting

Like all sorts of incidents, we really need to wait until all the information becomes available. IF this really was due to a power failure, then based on the pictures it almost looks like there was some sort of interlock failure ... if power was lost the system should fail into status that wouldn't allow gondolas to crash into each other.

If the image of the piled up gondolas was due to a power failure then there would be some serious fundamental design flaws in the system. Another case of patiently waiting until all the pieces come to light

That makes no sense. They know how many gondolas are going to be over the water at any time, so assume you have to rescue people in all of them, determine the acceptable time to execute all those rescues and then buy the appropriate equipment. They have heard of "plan for the worst, but hope for the best"?
The aerial lift I use for work (I’m a bridge inspector) cost close to $800k, do you really think they weren’t going to buy the bare minimum of aerial equipment to do rescues? When I saw the the cables getting put up over the canals around Epcot, my worst case scenario brain went into high gear thinking about how they would rescue someone from a swinging gondola while in an aerial bucket rocky around in a boat. I’m sure even for a highly experienced rescue team this is going to be a risky challenge.

Just saw a few posts on another forum that they were compensated with $100 gift card and a Park ticket after being stuck for three hours

My fear of heights I would start negotiations with DVC
not good enough. I would want my entire trip (hotel and tickets) comped.

My fear of heights would have put me in the hospital had this happened to me. Hell I had to go get drinks to calm my nerves after being stuck for 5 minutes. Negotiations would start with DVC, ha!

The thing that is scary is what if this happened in the middle of summer in the afternoon. The health risks to the elderly etc... would be off they charts as well as the liability to Disney. Potentially hours without medical attention...
Each gondola is equipped with an air conditioning unit that can last for 3-4 hours as well as an emergency speaker. So while you are correct that someone in need of attention might not get it immediately, I don't think being in the gondola itself would cause any problems.

My fear of heights I would start negotiations with DVC

My fear of heights would have put me in the hospital had this happened to me. Hell I had to go get drinks to calm my nerves after being stuck for 5 minutes. Negotiations would start with DVC, ha!
If you're that afraid of heights would have even been up there in the first place?

FYI if you flight is delayed in Europe for 3 hours you are entitled to 600 euros per person. Keep in mind you are comfortable on the ground and not in a hot box in the air. If my family of 5 with kids were stuck in there for 3.5 hours you better believe I would be wanting my trip comped. 100 gift card isn’t enough.

My understanding from following this from the beginning here was that there were ways to get the gondolas into the station using backup motors. That’s why I’m thinking that this is a very serious incident since they are doing the worst case scenario types of evacuations. Thank God it’s October and at night.
So they hit their “worst case scenario” after just 7 days of operation? That leads me to believe that this probably isn’t really the worst case scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter