Disney Skyliner Accident

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Disney (Reedy Creek Fire Department) only has a couple of Tower Ladders capable of reaching the gondolas of anyone know if they can/have call in mutual aid for additional equipment to aid in evacuations? Yes I departments may not have directly trained for this kind of evacuation but it certainly not significantly different than many things a doing day-to-day work.
I’m catching up so someone else may already have replied, but I would be stunned if Disney fire does not have mutual aid agreements with every department in the county, and possibly neighboring ones as well. They would need them for fire and system overload disaster events in addition to rescues. Hopefully other departments are on site or on their way.

People are assuming there was an accident because of that photo that’s making the rounds. But that photo has no context and this is the internet.

I completely agree. Was that photo taken tonight? By whom? I’m not saying it isn’t legit, but I would like to hear the full details before jumping to judgment here because i would like this system to be successful. I’m glad no one was injured.

Each gondola is equipped with an air conditioning unit that can last for 3-4 hours as well as an emergency speaker. So while you are correct that someone in need of attention might not get it immediately, I don't think being in the gondola itself would cause any problems.
I didn’t realize about the air conditioning unit. Thanks

FYI if you flight is delayed in Europe for 3 hours you are entitled to 600 euros per person. Keep in mind you are comfortable on the ground and not in a hot box in the air. If my family of 5 with kids were stuck in there for 3.5 hours you better believe I would be wanting my trip comped. 100 gift card isn’t enough.
**Up to 600 euros and airlines don't have to pay out for any number of reasons including bad weather, crew issues, etc. Source: me, stuck in Munich overnight last May.

I completely agree. Was that photo taken tonight? By whom? I’m not saying it isn’t legit, but I would like to hear the full details before jumping to judgment here because i would like this system to be successful. I’m glad no one was injured.

There is a video version of it too. It very clearly happened tonight. A CM can be seen shining a flashlight up at the cable and another worker is ON TOP of the blue gondola, trying to figure out what happened. The blue gondola appears to have jumped the line and gotten stuck, causing the others to pile up behind it.

**Up to 600 euros and airlines don't have to pay out for any number of reasons including bad weather, crew issues, etc. Source: me, stuck in Munich overnight last May.
Bull. I have been paid this amount. The only way out Is weather. This didn’t apply in this case.

OK I’ve seen the video now and it looks pretty legitimate. Were there people in the blue car?

This is the one in question, there are a few others similar to it from other folks. Looks like it rolled backward and smashed into the one behind it, shattering the glass. I wouldn't expect the skyliner to be open tomorrow or probably for a while.

FYI if you flight is delayed in Europe for 3 hours you are entitled to 600 euros per person. Keep in mind you are comfortable on the ground and not in a hot box in the air. If my family of 5 with kids were stuck in there for 3.5 hours you better believe I would be wanting my trip comped. 100 gift card isn’t enough.

I'm not gonna go so far as to say that I would want or expect the trip to be comped, but that $100 and park ticket compensation would feel like gaslighting me into trying to believe that what happened to me was a delay rather than a very scary subpar evacuation system. I would be very angry to think that would be considered adequate. I would hope they would circle back to me after i had had a chance to sleep and recover and that they would recognize the seriousness of what happened.

Its €250 for 3 hour delay on journeys less than 1500km. €600 is for Intercontinental travel on journeys more than 3500km.

The gondola isnt travelling 3500km!

I was not aware they had any AC systems?
I have not experienced the use of the A/C system, but from the reports shared by @WebmasterPete on the podcast, it's a short life system meant for use in emergencies. However, I have seen the call button and it took every ounce of discipline I had not to push it. :)

just left Disney yesterday... noticed the Skyliner down quite a bit. Not something I wanted to try honestly. Way up in the air with no way down but the RCFD. Hope everyone is okay. This is terrifying and I'm at home.... I can't imagine the people there.

This is just the beginning of a long process of accident investigation, verification of hazard analysis (I.E. proof that Disney did its due diligence analyzing possible accident scenarios and their likelihood of happening). This is something that would have happened during the design process and city/state officials would have been involved and signed off on it.

Then a corrective action plan needs to be made, engineered, implemented and retested. this is MONTHS of work ahead. Lawsuits are going to happen. And nothing is ever going to fix the bad publicity that will come from this.
We’re softly planning a WDW trip in 2023, and I don’t know what it would take for Disney to convince me to put my child on it.

Realistically they’re not comping trips. Come on.

I’m glad to see they are being proactive (hopefully) and not waiting for people to complain and are not just tossing FP at people. I think a park ticket and $100 per person is about what I would expect them to do.

There is literally a photograph of monorail cars crashed into each other. Interesting result of a power failure...
My sarcastic comment was a response to an earlier post on this thread from the Orlando Sentinel regarding a power failure. Probably not the best time for me to post a sarcastic comment. Sorry if that led to any confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter