Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I think there might be increased movement of resort guests checking out different resort sights and dining options, but it’ll flow in multiple directions.

Last fall at Pop I did book a reservation at Sebastian’s to try it out, but the logistics would have been tricky. Ended up cancelling and we either went to Kona or Sana’a the night we would have. Now it’d be a much easier hop to try it.

This year at AoA we’re totally taking the Skyliner to Beaches n’Cream. That’s going to be great. I don’t think resort hopping is going to increase immensely; it’ll just be more convenient for the few of us who do.

What is it that you like about Pop that isn't available at CBR? Or is it something else?
I’ve actually never stayed there. We were booked at Beach Club then my in-laws decided join us and POP was better for their budget so we moved there instead. Nothing against CBR, but we’ll just be traveling through and won’t stop there for any reason.

We will be staying at POP for the opening of SWGE (for 5 nights).....we almost always do split stays because I love a deluxe but can't afford to do a whole trip that way. It's fun for us to hop. This year we are doing 2 different stays at CBR, 1 at POP, and some 2 night stays at BWV, CCV, Poly Studio, and another 2 nighter at CCV. We've stayed at CSR, POR, BWI, Contemporary, Poly, GF.....I guess what I'm getting at is every resort has its benefits and everyone has different tastes/likes. I've actually really liked every resort we've stayed at!

The only amenity I think would see an increase would be Sebastians and possibly Spyglass Grill....and with Sebastians they would need an ADR most likely. Now, I would like to keep Spyglass Grill a secret because it could happen that it would get crowded as it isn't terribly far from the CBR hub, right?

I know we have thought of doing a “bucket crawl” and taking the Skyliner to the different resorts and parks and boardwalk area and stop for a drink at each location so this puts Spyglass more on our radar than in the past. Am sure we are not the only ones to think like this but also can’t see it creating a huge influx of people

I think there might be increased movement of resort guests checking out different resort sights and dining options, but it’ll flow in multiple directions.

Last fall at Pop I did book a reservation at Sebastian’s to try it out, but the logistics would have been tricky. Ended up cancelling and we either went to Kona or Sana’a the night we would have. Now it’d be a much easier hop to try it.

This year at AoA we’re totally taking the Skyliner to Beaches n’Cream. That’s going to be great. I don’t think resort hopping is going to increase immensely; it’ll just be more convenient for the few of us who do.

Not sure when you are going, but Beaches N' Cream is going to be closed starting in August (IIRC).

Last edited:
I know we have thought of doing a “bucket crawl” and taking the Skyliner to the different resorts and parks and boardwalk area and stop for a drink at each location so this puts Spyglass more on our radar than in the past. Am sure we are not the only ones to think like this but also can’t see it creating a huge influx of people
That’s so funny. I was just thinking that today - “what will be the equivalent of the monorail bar crawl?” Sign me up!

FWIW, yesterday (Saturday) workers were active at the AofA/Pop station, and also doing something to the Skyliner tower near the Speedway by the BoardWalk Inn.

I note this only because in my experience--and I pay a lot of attention to construction/refurbs, because I am a dork that way--weekend work by the third-party trades is rare.

I've seen it only once before, when a cabin loop at the the Fort was being converted to a campground loop.

FWIW, yesterday (Saturday) workers were active at the AofA/Pop station, and also doing something to the Skyliner tower near the Speedway by the BoardWalk Inn.

I note this only because in my experience--and I pay a lot of attention to construction/refurbs, because I am a dork that way--weekend work by the third-party trades is rare.

I've seen it only once before, when a cabin loop at the the Fort was being converted to a campground loop.
The Tim tracker just saw them working on one of the hotel on a Saturday

Yes also landscaping on the turn, not sure if its white rock or sand, lots of palms etc.

Then you are building 4 lines instead of 3 and you eat the BW parking lot if you put 4 stations in that lot. Plus you create a huge bottle neck at closing time when two parks worth of guests to 20-25% of on property rooms would have to go thru that hub.

My question is, how do you keep Pop and AoA guests from overrunning CB amenities if it gets that easy to move between the three?
CBR amenities (food court) are like a 10 minute walk from the Skyliner Station. In the old days, CBR's amenities weren't that exciting -- but I haven't been there since their refurbishment. I will be staying at Pop (my favorite hotel) and visiting CBR (my next favorite), but I don't expect many people to do the same unless they figure out a way to get people to the food court faster (ie not use the internal bus.)

What is it that you like about Pop that isn't available at CBR? Or is it something else?

Ways Pop is better than CBR:
1. Much, much less walking. I stayed at the Preferred room CBR (Martinique) and then at Standard Pop (70s). Standard Pop was half as far to walk to food court/ buses than CBR preferred! CBR has a lot of winding around before you get to the main lake path.
2. Pop has elevators. First time at CBR, I was assigned 2nd floor and I dragged my large, heavy stroller up and down those stairs all 8 days of our trip.
3. [This is no longer true] Pop has better food at the food court: the famous tie die cheese cake, vegetarian lasagna, awesome sandwiches, chocolate dipped strawberries, mussels in marinara sauce, Pork ankle! They got rid of all that, though.
4. Faster bus service: Pop doesn't have to waste driving all the way around the hotel before leaving for the parks.
5. Pop has humongous statues that screams "Disney Magic!" Where is CBR just looks like the Caribbean, that's all. Beautiful, but not that much Disney. Last summer my then DS2 looked up at the huge rabbit at the 80s and started panicking, to the delight of the people around us.
6. Pop is cheaper with the same queen size beds. It doesn't have 2 sinks, but my family never use 2 sinks. I just tell the kids to get ready one at a time so they get the whole bathroom by themselves.

Ways CBR is better than Pop:
1. Superior pool with numerous waterslides, and a beautiful splash area for little kids.
2. The hotel with its lake view is absolutely gorgeous.
3. It has pirate rooms that my kids loved.

The ultimate reason Pop is better than CBR:

The preferred rooms at Pop are right next to the Skyliner, whereas preferred rooms in CBR are a good 10 minutes walk to their Skyliner station. The CBR rooms that are close to the Skyliner are far from the food court. Which means overall, Pop/AofA will be the superior choice of hotel for people who are into the Skyliner.

Last edited:
I checked the prices for preferred rooms in Pop and CBR in May (before Skyliner) and December (after Skyliner) in comparison to All Stars and Port Orleans, respectively. I estimate that the upcharge for the Skyliner at Pop to be $16 a day, for CBR $40 a day.

upload_2019-4-1_18-2-24.png

I checked the prices for preferred rooms in Pop and CBR in May (before Skyliner) and December (after Skyliner) in comparison to All Stars and Port Orleans, respectively. I estimate that the upcharge for the Skyliner at Pop to be $16 a day, for CBR $40 a day.

View attachment 392180
Pop has normily been more pricey then all star any where form $10-$15 on average

Google Earth now has aerial imagery of WDW dated 12/17/2018, which clearly shows the Skyliner stations. Sources have said the Skyliner speed will probably be 5 m/s (11.2 mph). So I measured the actual distances in meters on Google Earth, and calculated the travel time in minutes. The last column adds some time for moving slowly thru the stations, but it may be more, especially on the Epcot line where the cabins will be passing thru Riviera and the BW turn station.

upload_2019-4-1_22-16-35.png

Last edited:
1. Superior pool with numerous waterslides, and a beautiful splash area for little kids.

I think CBR has quieter rooms. I often heard neighbors moving around at Pop. Don’t remember that at CBR.

Ways Pop is better than CBR:
1. Much, much less walking. I stayed at the Preferred room CBR (Martinique) and then at Standard Pop (70s). Standard Pop was half as far to walk to food court/ buses than CBR preferred! CBR has a lot of winding around before you get to the main lake path.
2. Pop has elevators. First time at CBR, I was assigned 2nd floor and I dragged my large, heavy stroller up and down those stairs all 8 days of our trip.
3. [This is no longer true] Pop has better food at the food court: the famous tie die cheese cake, vegetarian lasagna, awesome sandwiches, chocolate dipped strawberries, mussels in marinara sauce, Pork ankle! They got rid of all that, though.
4. Faster bus service: Pop doesn't have to waste driving all the way around the hotel before leaving for the parks.
5. Pop has humongous statues that screams "Disney Magic!" Where is CBR just looks like the Caribbean, that's all. Beautiful, but not that much Disney. Last summer my then DS2 looked up at the huge rabbit at the 80s and started panicking, to the delight of the people around us.
6. Pop is cheaper with the same queen size beds. It doesn't have 2 sinks, but my family never use 2 sinks. I just tell the kids to get ready one at a time so they get the whole bathroom by themselves.

The ultimate reason Pop is better than CBR:

The preferred rooms at Pop are right next to the Skyliner, whereas preferred rooms in CBR are a good 10 minutes walk to their Skyliner station. The CBR rooms that are close to the Skyliner are far from the food court. Which means overall, Pop/AofA will be the superior choice of hotel for people who are into the Skyliner.
You are missing the biggest, IMO, way CBR is better than Pop:
Rooms for 5 people. As a family of 5, we would need 2 rooms at Pop. For a weeks vacation, that's over a $500 difference in price. Also, CBR has a greater % military discount, so the difference for us would be even greater.

I don't know which rooms are Preferred at CBR, but Google Maps estimates walking time from the Barbados room closest to OPR, to the Skyliner at 7 minutes. So it's not quite 10 minutes, but it certainly is more than the 2 minute walk from the rooms overlooking the Hippy Dippy Pool at Pop. It is 10 minutes walk from the closest Martinique room to Skyliner.

Jamaica building 41, which is right at the Skyliner crosswalk, is 7 minutes to OPR.

But CBR Guests have direct, no-transfer rides to both parks, while Pop Guests will have to transfer and wait in a 2nd queue. The transfer time plus the time from Pop to CBR will add 5-10 minutes to the travel time. Of course, some may consider the extra ride over Hourglass Lake to be a plus.

You are missing the biggest, IMO, way CBR is better than Pop:
Rooms for 5 people. As a family of 5, we would need 2 rooms at Pop. For a weeks vacation, that's over a $500 difference in price. Also, CBR has a greater % military discount, so the difference for us would be even greater.
How do the rates for AoA family suites compare to CBR rooms for 5? And how many do they sleep?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter