Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Saw this post about hiring for Skyliner CMs - may give and indication as to how early they will start running

Makes me think that if CMs are only starting at 5am with safety checks, etc not sure how early you can expect to be at DHS for those 6am openings - might be better to Uber or something if you really want to be there first

Last edited:
If they're just starting the hiring process now, I'm holding out less hope for soft openings starting Aug 28th. 5 1/2 weeks to post, hire and train sounds pretty ambitious. Wahhhh!!! 😭

As others have said, people have already been hired/transferred to work the skyliner and there was at least one photo/video out there of CMs at one of the stations presumably getting training

I think this would be more for the full role out and going forward, etc, so I don't think it would impact timeline for soft opening

Correct there have been people already hired.
As others have said, people have already been hired/transferred to work the skyliner and there was at least one photo/video out there of CMs at one of the stations presumably getting training

I think this would be more for the full role out and going forward, etc, so I don't think it would impact timeline for soft opening
Phew! Thanks!! Feeling better again about hopefully floating over Hourglass Lake in September! :)

Phew! Thanks!! Feeling better again about hopefully floating over Hourglass Lake in September! :)

we are there just over 2 weeks from today and staying at POP so still hoping for some pixie dust and get a random soft opening ride - even if not viewing it as a viable mode of transportation I was optimistic about when we picked POP to stay at

but guess we shall see ... if not it will just be a tease for 5 days as they are there but we can't ride them

we are there just over 2 weeks from today and staying at POP so still hoping for some pixie dust and get a random soft opening ride - even if not viewing it as a viable mode of transportation I was optimistic about when we picked POP to stay at

but guess we shall see ... if not it will just be a tease for 5 days as they are there but we can't ride them
Oh I understand this! We were at Pop:
- Jan 2018 when the first tower went up
- Aug 2018 with most towers up
- Dec 2018 saw the haul ropes in place
- Apr 2019 we watched the (then covered) gondolas floating over Hourglass Lake and many other places.

I was SO sure we'd be in the clear to ride in September! If it's not open, the next trip isn't planned until September 2020. If we have to wait we will, but we're hoping for pixie dust :tinker:in September for us....and in August for you and our friends who will be there then too!

Oh I understand this! We were at Pop:
- Jan 2018 when the first tower went up
- Aug 2018 with most towers up
- Dec 2018 saw the haul ropes in place
- Apr 2019 we watched the (then covered) gondolas floating over Hourglass Lake and many other places.

I was SO sure we'd be in the clear to ride in September! If it's not open, the next trip isn't planned until September 2020. If we have to wait we will, but we're hoping for pixie dust :tinker:in September for us....and in August for you and our friends who will be there then too!

on the plus side we just booked a trip for next February and will stay at Caribbean Beach, largely picked for the Skyliner (though, also cheapest onsite option other than campsite for fitting 5 people) - so at least have that to keep me going

Also will have a bunch of other new stuff then compared to our August trip including all of galaxy's Edge and EPCOT Forever fireworks, etc. in addition to the skyliner - so definitely could be worse!

Can you ride it from one end to the other? Can you ride all day like the monorail?
There really isn't one end... since the lines go to different parks.
You could start at Pop -> CB -> HS -> CB -> Riviera -> Epcot IG -> Riviera -> CB -> Pop
You would have to get out and transfer at CB

Can you ride it from one end to the other? Can you ride all day like the monorail?
There really isn't one end... since the lines go to different parks.
You could start at Pop -> CB -> HS -> CB -> Riviera -> Epcot IG -> Riviera -> CB -> Pop
You would have to get out and transfer at CB

well, no one will tell you you cannot ride it anymore but you will likely always have to deboard at the end of a line and get on to go back to where you came from or to a different destination (some speculation that when slow maybe they would let you stay on and go back but not certain)

And as @jhoannam points out, there really isn't an end or loop like you could with the monorail or the WDW Railroad or something. Think of it more like the layout of Magic Kingdom where you have to go through the hub to get to where you want to go with CBR station being the "hub"

People are fun.

Person A) I hate it! Too high, too hot, too small.
Person B) Can I ride it all freaking day?
I'm definitely B. I'm going at the end of August, but wont be back until November 2020. By far the thing I'm most disappointed by is missing out on the Skyliner. And that includes Star Wars, which I'm going to likely avoid since I'll have a toddler in tow.

I love Gondolas. SW, Rat, MMRR, Space Restaurant, I can wait for.

Last edited:
I am B as well, but I love Star Wars. They will be just past opening Rise of the Resistance when we arrive December 6th. We have planned two mornings and two evenings at MGM (sorry, DHS) We are spending the second half of our split stay at the BCV. Gondolas, here we come!

I’m 10,000% person B. I’ll be there in October when they will be operating but I’ll be chaperoning a school trip and can’t find any way to fit them into the itinerary. It’s driving me insane that I’ll be there while they’re in operation but unable to ride!

I’m 10,000% person B. I’ll be there in October when they will be operating but I’ll be chaperoning a school trip and can’t find any way to fit them into the itinerary. It’s driving me insane that I’ll be there while they’re in operation but unable to ride!

"No, no, no - trust me, it would be more efficient to take the bus to DHS and then the Skyliner to the back entrance of EPCOT"

;)

Saw this post about hiring for Skyliner CMs - may give and indication as to how early they will start running

Makes me think that if CMs are only starting at 5am with safety checks, etc not sure how early you can expect to be at DHS for those 6am openings - might be better to Uber or something if you really want to be there first

The timing thing is standard language from Disney for almost every hourly theme park job.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter