Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

You bring up something that I hadn't thought about (I can't remember if it had been mentioned before on this thread). Will they require strollers to be folded up or will they allow for strollers to be loaded without folding up.

If everyone complied and folded up the strollers if that was what was being required then that could speed up loading since you won't have the maneuvering of the wheels from loading platform to gondola and the adjusting of the stroller to fit within the gondola in a desired way. Even with people carrying them or leaning them up against the walls it would allow more people to load.

We don't have them at our airport where I'm at but whenever I'm at an airport that has a monorail-esque transportation system to get from terminal to terminal or area to area it can go very quickly with loading when people don't have bulkier suitcases or ones where the wheels have issues working or transitioning from the loading platform to the transportation system.

However that would mean everyone would need to comply with folding it up and have it already folded up to be ready for the gondola to come.

The stroller folding thing is a FDOT regulation. They have no jurisdiction over monorails and cable cars....

The stroller folding thing is a FDOT regulation. They have no jurisdiction over monorails and cable cars....

Ah yes, the stroller folding thing. My DM was so angry on our last trip because she had to wake my sleeping niece up to take her out of the stroller to fold it. She was complaining the entire time about that and wanted to confront one of the bus drivers over it. I told her the sign on the bus said it was DOT regulations but she claimed it was stupid and there was no guarantee the sign didn't just say that so people would do it. She also claimed small kids were safer in their strollers than they were sitting on a bus seat.

Thankfully I caught her before she made a scene with a driver.

Ah yes, the stroller folding thing. My DM was so angry on our last trip because she had to wake my sleeping niece up to take her out of the stroller to fold it. She was complaining the entire time about that and wanted to confront one of the bus drivers over it. I told her the sign on the bus said it was DOT regulations but she claimed it was stupid and there was no guarantee the sign didn't just say that so people would do it. She also claimed small kids were safer in their strollers than they were sitting on a bus seat.

Thankfully I caught her before she made a scene with a driver.

Good for you. I've seen some of those scenes--- The bus driver will lose their job if people do not comply. Another reason I hate the buses.

IF the numbers are correct in the linked article this is a prototype for rolling it out across the park. Because - MONEY.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/04/depth-speculation-disney-world-gondola-project-will-take-shape/

100 buses an hour and starting bus driver pay is $12/hr. Buses get about 2.5 mpg and diesel is over $2.50 a gallon. Pop to Epcot parking is 6 miles and a bus does this twice an hour for a total of 24 miles is about $25 an hour in fuel. $37/hr x 100= $3,700 an hour times 8 hours is close to $30K per shift. Driver pay alone would be $10K per shift and that doesn't include benefits, administration, uniforms, etc. But fuel is an even bigger saving. They are claiming that gondola system is less than $400 a day versus $2,500 an hour for the same bus capacity. That is over $200,000 a week in savings with is north of $10 million for the year. Now that article says Disney's buses cost between $500-700K and have a 12 year life. So lets say $50K a year times a hundred buses is $5mil a year without maintenance costs.

I'm still waiting for the AKV connector---- Get your AKV DVC while the resale cost is still low.....

Good for you. I've seen some of those scenes--- The bus driver will lose their job if people do not comply. Another reason I hate the buses.

Our stroller is actually very reasonably sized. It is bigger than an umbrella stroller but it isn't nearly as large as some of those travel system stroller types you see around. We were on the bus from the Poly once and this woman had this MASSIVE triple stroller. I mean even folded up people were squeezing to get around it and everything. The woman was switching back and forth between complaining about how crowded the bus was and stating that the stroller size "is what it is" and her family shouldn't worry about it being in other peoples way. I did a pretty big internal eye roll at that one.

I pointed out to my mom how massive some of those strollers are and how much more room they take up when they are not folded up. She just claimed if the bus was not full it didn't matter. Ah my mother. She has her moments.

I'm still waiting for the AKV connector---- Get your AKV DVC while the resale cost is still low.....

I kinda think if they could have done that they would have done that when they originally built it. I wonder if there's some kind of regulation that prohibits that because of the animals.

It's less than one monorail car. Done.
Boy, that one really put a burr in your shorts, huh? Good thing no one compared it to the frendship boats....since they are more of the alternate transportation mode between Epcot and DHS.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter