Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

As for Strollers, when we were in line for CBR to Epcot line, most families had strollers folded except for 1 and the cast member had that family fold before loading. I don’t know whether they were singles or double. They weren't making announcements about folding either.

Last edited:
As for Strollers, when we were in line for CBR to Epcot line, most families had strollers folded except for 1 and the cast member had that frankly fold before loading. I don’t know whether they were singles or double. They were making announcements about folding either.

might not be reading this correctly - are you saying there were announcements about folding strollers and the CMs made people? (not sure what "frankly fold" means)

The DIS article was specfic in saying any stroller that fits through the door does not have to be folded and I think the folding vs non folding is sort of a big deal for many familes (huge advantage of the monorails to not have to fold strollers - and empty the bottom, etc. that goes along with that) ... so interested in this issue/topic

might not be reading this correctly - are you saying there were announcements about folding strollers and the CMs made people? (not sure what "frankly fold" means)

The DIS article was specfic in saying any stroller that fits through the door does not have to be folded and I think the folding vs non folding is sort of a big deal for many familes (huge advantage of the monorails to not have to fold strollers - and empty the bottom, etc. that goes along with that) ... so interested in this issue/topic

So sorry. Darn autocorrect. It should say Family instead of frankly. The cast member had the family fold the stroller. No announcement was made.

Wow! I may need some sleep.

I am waiting for the first report of a child getting on door closes and then parent realizes child is on and they are not with their child. not the same but sky ride CM at the small park I work at had a parent complaint because she could not reverse ride and get her child off as child had gone thru line got on ride and left station before mother looked up from phone to see child go by. hope parents read this and think as they stand in line

Somehow, I doubt that you'll have to wait very long. The minute it happens, that parent is likely to raise holy h*** on social media about it -- because, after all, the phone & everything it does for you is a lifeline, right? :rolleyes:

Do children often get onto rides, monorails, buses, and boats without their parents or CMs noticing? Is this a noteworthy problem at WDW?

I know people like to take every opportunity to blame phones and parents these days for various things, but I think that’s way down the list on potential skyliner problems.

We left back to CBR via the Skyliner around 3pm. Walked right on and were at the Riviera station within 10 minutes. We got off there since we are staying in Aruba 55. The ride was quite breezy the entire way and I was never uncomfortable. The views are really great. I regret that we won’t be able to ride at night since we are leaving tomorrow afternoon. We’ll save it for next time, I suppose. We will ride a couple more times tomorrow, since we are going to DHS.

How does it know if you want to get off a RR?

Do you get to climb over the family with the double stroller who boarded after your party of 2 or do they stop the gondola so the person with the stroller can back out?

Why am I so stressed about this? Maybe I should just book BWV.

Do children often get onto rides, monorails, buses, and boats without their parents or CMs noticing? Is this a noteworthy problem at WDW?

I know people like to take every opportunity to blame phones and parents these days for various things, but I think that’s way down the list on potential skyliner problems.

You would be surprised. IME, as long as there are no physical obstacles to get over in terms of getting in/on, a fairly high percentage of tots will try it, and if a parent's attention is momentarily diverted, those little legs can manage to cover a lot of distance in a very short time. Kids manage to lose their parents in crowds all the time at WDW.

I think under normal circumstances, such as a ride, CM's will notice (partly because they are checking to fill seats, checking for height, or watching turnstiles), but the issue with the gondolas is that if a child darts in behind someone else on a busy platform, the CM is likely to think he/she is part of that group unless the parent says something, and by the time it's realized it may be too late to stop the car. If the parent's attention is diverted I can see it happening, especially if stroller-folding is being encouraged at the time, for whatever reason.

Now, how often is often? I'm thinking there will probably be a close call at least 1x/week, and perhaps a parent lock-out at most a couple of times per month. In the broader scheme of things it would be a very rare occurrence, but it's the sort of thing that now makes news when it happens, thanks to social media. (Back when I was a kid the typical parent probably wouldn't have stressed much about ending up in the next car as long as the child wasn't alone, but that was then. Parents tend to be much more paranoid now.)

FWIW, in 22 years of minor kids in my house, mine have managed to do it on airport trams a handful of times, and even once on the AK parking tram, when they jumped on ahead of me and then refused to get off at last call. They thought that leaving Mom behind to take the next tram was a very funny joke -- until their tired feet realized that I still had the car keys on that very hot day. :smokin:

Yeah, same. It's not the same as being in a cramped bus for whatever reason. It's a weird distinction and hard to explain to people who don't struggle with it, but it feels much more like sharing a table with someone at a quiet restaurant. I just felt very uncomfortable, like I couldn't talk and was subjected to listening to the other people's conversations. I get that's an irrational fear, but I don't think I'm alone.

I don't think it's irrational at all. I liken it to riding an elevator: you're stuck for a time in a small space with a bunch of people you probably don't know.

Except elevator rides usually only last about thirty seconds. If the Skyliner halts in mid-air you're stuck there for who knows how long? Suddenly that group of strangers becomes a set of very distinct - and different - coping skills, and you can't get away from any of them. If the little kid doesn't like heights and starts screaming, you're right there. If he throws up, it'll probably get on you too (lots of fun in the summertime with no air movement). If Dad starts getting angry about the delay and yelling at Mom - or worse, hits her or the kid - you've just witnessed abuse and can't get away from that either.

On a bus most people wouldn't do such things, but in a small private elevator it's a different story - especially if you're the only person in the car who doesn't know anybody else.

And as time goes on I'm sure the CMs will be finding used condoms, joint butts, and other trash on the floor of the gondola because people will treat them like a taxicab. I only hope they get wiped down once in a while.

How does it know if you want to get off a RR?

Do you get to climb over the family with the double stroller who boarded after your party of 2 or do they stop the gondola so the person with the stroller can back out?

Why am I so stressed about this? Maybe I should just book BWV.
The doors open at RR automatically whether you are leaving or not. I’m sure a CM will assist you if you are.

No different than switching monorails at the TTC.

CBR is the TTC of the Skyliner. This would be like switching at the TTC and then having to switch again between the TTC and Epcot. If you are going to Epcot from DHS or Pop/AOA, you would have to exit and get back in line twice along the way.

I'm glad the system is finally open and we see hoards guests of all ages and descriptions riding the Skyliner without giving it a second thought. Oh? This way to the parks? Right. Thanks, off we go...

It's easy to get lost in the reflection chamber that is this thread.

Last edited:
No different than at a ski resort. Rarely will you make it to the top of the hill without a stoppage. Most of the time because someone missed the boarding or fell as they get off.
Where are you skiing? Detachable lifts rarely stop. Gondolas almost never stop. Unless it’s a beginner chair you should almost always make it to the top without stopping.

Seeing a lot of chatter elsewhere today of a lot of "down time" - and not short ones either. One woman had it stop 3x on her single trip. Others have commented about 10-30 minute stoppages. Comments about being forced to get off at stops they weren't planning because of whatever issue was going on etc... I know there's always kinks to work out, but this seems a bit excessive?

Seeing a lot of chatter elsewhere today of a lot of "down time" - and not short ones either. One woman had it stop 3x on her single trip. Others have commented about 10-30 minute stoppages. Comments about being forced to get off at stops they weren't planning because of whatever issue was going on etc... I know there's always kinks to work out, but this seems a bit excessive?

"No plan survives first contact with the enemy"
- Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

i just heard its been down for two hours ???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter