Disney Songtape Volume II - Disco Mouse Song

VolvoManiac850

Let's Go Bucs
OK, I swear I must have the last remaining copy of this cassette tape, which I obtained sometime around 1987-1988 (I know I had it when I was two, my mom used to play it all the time in the car when I was young).

This is one of the old white tapes with the yellow label, and this one has some movie features on it. There's a few songs from Mary Poppins, the Burl Ives version of Lavender Blue, Little April Shower from Bambi, a few from the 40s/50s films, and...Disco Mouse.

Now I'm having some trouble finding anything credible about this Disco Mouse song. I'm thinking of trying to put the collection together from iTunes since my cousin's four year old daughter is visiting next weekend and I want a nice soundtrack for her in my car (which does not have a cassette player). Most of the songs you can track down fairly easily on iTunes, but this Disco Mouse song seems to evade me.

I found a song called "Disco Mickey Mouse", but it's definitely NOT the song. This was a version of the Mickey Mouse Club March (you know, the Jimmie Dodd one) but done in a style that would be rather typical for the 1970s. It was sung by women (no men or character voices) and towards the end of the song, the lyrics are "Disco Mouse" over and over with the music. I think they say "Disco Mouse Club" in there a few times too.

I've been able to find NOTHING with web searches about this song. I'm assuming it was used in the late 70s Mickey Mouse Club show. It's a few seconds shy of three minutes long and as far as I can tell this is the only tape that has it.

(Don't confuse this with the Disney Songtapes that have kids music on them, typically sung by Larry Groce or a similar vocalist--this one is film features but the tapes look identical--I found one of the kids music ones on eBay that had a recently completed auction).

Any input into this song would be greatly appreciated. It's a part of my childhood--used to listen to this tape non-stop in my mom's Honda growing up. I think it sat in storage for about 10 years before I found it and gave it a nice playthrough about a decade ago.

EDIT--just dug this tape out and have more info on it:

1. The copyright date is 1979, written in Roman numerals at the bottom of the label.

2. It's got a picture of Tigger on both sides and is officially titled "Disney Songtape, The Best of Disney Volume II" with the subtitle "Musical Highlights from Disney Film Favorites".

3. The number on it is 2503B. This appears above "Side I" or "Side II" and is the same on both sides.

4. The song listing is as follows:
SIDE I: When You Wish Upon a Star, A Spoonful of Sugar, Little April Shower, Oo-De-Lally, Someone's Waiting for You, and DISCO MOUSE!!!
SIDE II: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, Lavender Blue (Dilly Dilly), The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers, I've Got No Strings, You can Fly (x3), It's Not Easy

5. The tape was made in the USA, as per the etched letters on the top of the tape on Side II.

6. I don't have the liner that would have come with the tape. I'm guessing it got pitched when my dad got the Honda (I have a ton of tapes where the liner got lost, my parents tended to just toss tapes around; thankfully I did get a plastic case for this particular cassette when I found it a decade ago in a desk drawer).

I had almost forgotten about the songs from the late 70s films being on here. I'd also be curious to see what would be on Volume I (which has to exist, since this is Volume II).

OK, I just did some searches and found more about the tape...

I think this is the one: http://www.onlineauction.com/index....&title=The_Best_Of_Disney_Volume_Two_Cassette

There also is an LP of this which looks to be very common. I think I was typing in the wrong name (Disney Songtape II) and that's why I wasn't getting any hits.

Still, the Disco Mouse song is evading me. Aside from this release I can't seem to find much about it!

Yeah, I realize this thread is old enough to go to preschool now...also goes to show how long it's been since I've been around these forums...

...but I figured maybe someone could help me out after 3 years.

iTunes still doesn't have Disco Mouse.

I doubt the biggest Disney freaks I know would know anything about this song. I asked one and she had no idea.

What is the deal with this song? I thought it was the theme song for the 70s Mickey Mouse Club?

I still have the cassette tape. As far as I know it still works (though I haven't had my tape deck hooked up for a while now).

I'd love to get a digital copy of the song before my next Disney trip to put on my playlist. I want to re-create that tape, then add a few other things to it (basically, anything Toy Story 1 or earlier--most post-Howard Ashman stuff just doesn't appeal to me).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter