disney with a broken arm?

nicurn

<font color=red>"dark side" scrapper <br><font col
hi everyone, we are going to disney jan17-22. Here's my question. my dd who is 6 broke her arm this past friday. (surgery, pins, etc... not pretty) She's fine and actually feels great, walking around etc. I'm assuming that she will still have at the very least a cast next month. (I'm hoping the pins are gone because all I keep picturing is the airport metal detector going off. ) Anyhow, how much is this going to complicate things? I'm going to rent the stroller if she's still got the really heavy oversize cast, any other suggestions? Rides to avoid? thanks, maggie:confused:

A week and a half before we left on our trip(we were in disney over Thanksgiving) My son age 7 broke his arm in school during recess. His cast went from right under his shoulder to his wrist and he also had to use a sling with the cast. Of course he couldn't go swimming while we were there. For the most part, my son did not ride any of the jerky rides(space mountain, thunder mountain railroad, star tours, tower of terror, or the rock and roll roller coaster etc) We had told the doctor we were going and he was fine with us going but since my sons arm was newly broken we were probably extra careful as to what he could ride because the doctor told us with my sons type of double break a re-fracture if it does reoccur will happen the first three weeks after the cast is put on. I would ask your doctor what he thinks since your daughter will have already had her cast on for a few weeks by the time you go. My son got his cast off yesterday after wearing it for six weeks. Your daughter will still have a great time even if she is still in her cast. Don't forget a sharpie marker for the characters to sign her cast--my son got some extra attention for having a broken arm.

You already got some really good info.
Here's some other suggestions:
1) Make sure you bring the sling. Even if she isn't using it at home a lot at that time, it's a lot different sitting at home than walking around all day.
2) Bring some pain reliever (Tylenol or whatever your doctor recommends). The arm probably won't be hurting, but it's better to be prepared.
3) If you find she would feel better waiting in line with her stroller, you can go to Guest Services in any of the parks and ask for a Guest Assistance Card (GAC) that would allow you to bring the stroller in line (treating the stroller like a wheelchair). The GAC won't shorten your wait, but will make it more comfortable.
4) If she will still have pins, get a letter from her doctor and tell the security screeners about the metal pins before she goes thru the detector. (No more nightmares about setting it off).

If the arm hurts, chance are you are putting too much stress on it.

Fortunately January is not brutally hot, which is even more uncomfortable with a cast on. If it were summer, walk slower to not sweat as much.

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 (World Inn* off I4 near DD)
4/85 (Kon-Tiki* on 192)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 POR
9/97 ASMu
11/98 ASMu
12/98 (Knights Inn on 192)
9/99 ASMo
12/00 ASSp
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp
*no longer exists

I just wanted to add a few more things about my sons experience with his broken arm--
Since we were there in November the weather wasn't too warm therefore he wasn't uncomfortable with his cast, I think your daughter will be fine in January too. He did rest in the stroller when he got tired of walking (i still have a double stroller I bought since my youngest is 3). We did have one scare in the Hall of Presidents where my other son pushed him and he fell right on his cast!(he was fine) I would just keep asking him if he was Ok and if he needed to rest, his response was usually--I feel good.
Also, I requested extra pillows for the bed he was sleeping in because he was most comfortable with his arm propped on pillows since he really couldn't turn over. This was also how he slept at home, How is your daughter sleeping?
Overall I don't remember him complaining about his arm, like I said in my other post, I was more paranoid about it! He still had a good trip and your daughter will too! :)

My daughter had a compound fracture in her arm when we went to WDW. She fell off the monkey bars at school. We had a great time and didn't do anything different. We did have a stroller for her even though she was six. I didn't want her getting to tired out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter