Disney Wonder warning => Vancouver Port on strike

xlxo

DIS Veteran
https://www.nsnews.com/local-news/seaspans-tugboat-captains-strike-in-bc-ports-5746212

union posted a notice on its website Thursday announcing contract negotiations with Seaspan’s marine transport division had reached an impasse and a strike was beginning at noon that day.
Seaspan is one of four tug-assist providers and one of two bunker suppliers at the port, so these services may be affected.
despite our best efforts, and with the assistance of federal mediators, we have been unsuccessful in reaching an agreement with the Canadian Marine Services Guild
last contract with the union expired in 2019
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2877286-eclipse-still-in-port-1025pm-on-28th/#comment-63855997

The Celebrity Eclipse is been trapped by a fuel barge since yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
We watched the Wonder pull in this morning. I do hope we get to leave this afternoon.
That being said we watched 5 other cruise ships dock and leave over this weekend.

Just saw a video posted 12 minutes ago, the barge is finally being disconnected. Also it's not the 'port' that is on strike, it is one of three tug boat companies that are on strike.

Read through the cruise critic forum on this one.

Very interesting. Hopefully the Wonder doesn't have issues departing today...

I might be more worried about the lack of security personnel at the airport. Over the weekend, YVR was advising arriving 3 hours early for domestic flights.

Disney Wonder still in port as of 5:30pm Pacific time. Departure being delayed by the tugboat strike :(

We have a friend on the ship who was lamenting about this. It's a DVC cruise though, and they look to have a ton of stuff to entertain them. I guess it's better than sitting on a regular cruise. They are still doing the Sail Away Party :rotfl2:

We have a friend on the ship who was lamenting about this. It's a DVC cruise though, and they look to have a ton of stuff to entertain them. I guess it's better than sitting on a regular cruise. They are still doing the Sail Away Party :rotfl2:
Yes I saw the party on another site! And they all got a $25 room credit in honour of D+ day! I'm jealous, we've only done one member cruise and it was fantastic. Would have been nice to do this one but it was out of my budget this time!

Yes I saw the party on another site! And they all got a $25 room credit in honour of D+ day! I'm jealous, we've only done one member cruise and it was fantastic. Would have been nice to do this one but it was out of my budget this time!
This is my friend's first DVC cruise. She's not a direct member, but a friend is. I am also a resale member. I think this is one of the few benefits that seems worthwhile for us with direct vs resale, considering the cost now and the specific resort.

Thank goodness. Their destination is now listed as Skagway so I'm thinking they will miss the glacier?? 🤷😭😭

Thank goodness. Their destination is now listed as Skagway so I'm thinking they will miss the glacier?? 🤷😭😭
I am hoping that since they don't dock in the fjord, that is why it isn't listed as a destination. I am on the next sailing and if this happens I will be livid. I am usually an easygoing person but for some reason this trip has been the most stressful vacation I have ever planned.

I am hoping that since they don't dock in the fjord, that is why it isn't listed as a destination. I am on the next sailing and if this happens I will be livid. I am usually an easygoing person but for some reason this trip has been the most stressful vacation I have ever planned.
I think the destination listed must be wrong because it says they will be there at like 5am tomorrow. First off, they don't have dock space until Thursday (unless they worked it out with Skagway??) And second, that's less than 24 hours from now and they are not even past the northern tip of Vancouver Island yet. So hopefully they are able to book it to the glacier for tomorrow. Time will tell.

They are missing the glacier and getting a $200 room credit.
Oof! That would totally suck! Who knows when you will be getting back there and what state the glaciers will be in. I know it isn't DCL's fault at all, but I'm sure GS is having to deal with a lot of crap right now!

I might be more worried about the lack of security personnel at the airport. Over the weekend, YVR was advising arriving 3 hours early for domestic flights.
The airport was so backed up the day I left. So many cruisers in security line (US/International) and that was with only 1 ship coming into port. Can't even imagine if there were multiple ships docking. Partially a lack of personnel but also the personnel they had either weren't trained well, were just too exhausted, or weren't good at their jobs. Probably the longest security line I've ever had (remember Vancouver doesn't have TSA Pre-check, though you do skip some line with Global Entry). At the scanner, the one checking x-rays was taking forever and then the one inspecting bags constantly was going over to check with the scanner to see if that was the item they flagged... I was happy my parents dropped me off so early (they were driving back to CA later).

I am going to be so upset if the glacier is missed next week. Not at GS obviously but $200 isn't enough to miss the biggest part of the trip...and it isn't even their fault. This is so frustrating.

Have waited 18 months for this cruise, our first ever, cant believe that we might get there on monday and it’ll all be screwed up :( id be absolutely devastated.

Yep. I know that Alaska is going to be beautiful...but I want the glacier more than ANYTHING else. Next time I am going to just fly there. This is stressing me out way too much. I usually love planning trips but this has been a nightmare. Nothing I can do about it, but this is just too much for me right now. :(

Yep. I know that Alaska is going to be beautiful...but I want the glacier more than ANYTHING else. Next time I am going to just fly there. This is stressing me out way too much. I usually love planning trips but this has been a nightmare. Nothing I can do about it, but this is just too much for me right now. :(
I think our insurance will pay out if we miss a port but like yourself im very much looking forward to the glacier and seeing everything that day, it seems to be one of the ‘special’ days on the cruise. My little boy has been so looking forward to this, he starts school next year so theres no way we could afford this cruise during school holidays so it really is once in a lifetime for us, im already quite stressed about it :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter