Disney World or Disneyland?

As others I'm sure have said, WDW is the better resort destination. That being said, Disneyland Park is far superior to the Magic Kingdom. DCA is very equal if not better than DHS. I've only been to Disneyland once, but we're making our 2nd trip in April. It's a much more relaxing, enjoyable experience. No booking dining reservations 6 months in advance, or booking fastpasses 2 months in advance.

I have to disagree with this one. I have been to Magic Kingdom only a couple of times and mostly Disneyland through out my life, so yes that does have an effect on my opinion. However I do think there are things that are better at Disneyland than Magic Kingdom.

Personally like Haunted Mansion in Disneyland better, at least I like the outside queue better and how you go in through the front door of the Haunt Mansion like a welcomed guest instead of shoved in through the back basement entrance like a shameful guest that you don't want people seeing entering your house. (Like they saying "ehhh, use the back door, don't dirty my front porch.") Also their stretch room servers a purpose other than just being a stretching room. (Elevator that gets you down to the basement level).

I also think that Pirates of the Caribbean is better because there it more to it in the ride. I mean, you have all those caves scenes which just do not exist in Magic Kingdom and the inside of the burning building at the end of the ride. AND they have the Blue Bayou Restaurant (My favorite place to eat out, reservations 100% needed!)

Thunder Mountain has that cool explosion scene at the end that was added fairly recently. (also I don't recall seeing the goat with the TNT in his mouth, but I could have just missed him since I was just having fun on the ride and not paying attention to every detail.)

Space Mountain is better, it has those new cars that set two to a row instead of just one. But what makes the cars really great is that they have speakers and themed music that follows you through out the ride, making the ride even more fun than without the music. I think the music really enhances the experience.
And that’s the hard thing- some people like certain versions of rides better at DL and some at WDW. So you need to experience both.

I like Space Mountain better at WDW because it has multiple drops which are really fun in the dark and it’s more intense in general but some people like how the DL version is less intense. Pirates is definitely better at DL. Haunted Mansion too, but I don’t care about that one all that much and I hate the Holiday version (and some people love it). I actually don’t like the explosions on Thunder and I like the absence of that scene at WDW. I get why people like it but I don’t like explosions around me. I could go through all the rides but I think it’s important for each person to experience both versions themselves because it’s going to be different for every person.

I agree the Max Pass system is superior, but everyone should keep in mind that every person in your party has to pay for that superiority, it isn't free.

Yeah, there has been some incomplete information on this thread that is unintentionally misleading for the uninitiated.
DLR MaxPass is $15 PER PERSON PER DAY.
So a family of four is $60/day. If you want it for four days, that's $240 total. That doesn't mean MaxPass isn't a good buy, but let's deal in real numbers.

"Off-site": That word has totally different meanings at DLR and WDW. Yes, at WDW, many here (including me) want the Disney Bubble by staying at a Disney-owned hotel, and most resorts are closer to the parks than all but a few options. But at DLR, many many hotels are as close or closer to the gates, are just as walkable, and offer far more VALUE than the Disney hotels at DLR. I just paid $630/night for a Deluxe Club Level room at WDW's Boardwalk Inn for my family of six. At Paradise Pier Hotel, the least expensive DLR hotel, they want $836/night for a family suite. Yes, it has one more bathroom and a glorious view of the Pier, making it my fave DLR-owned hotel, but you'd never confuse it with BWI, and that price is not club level. Even if it were Club Level, they don't have nearly as nice a spread, esp the dinner hors d'oeuvres, or the choices for alcohol.
Meanwhile, I've stayed at the Tropicana for $150/night, which was blah in every way, except that I could watch the fireworks from our balcony AND in the morning it took five minutes to cross the street and walk to the gates. It takes 15 minutes from PPH.
As for the Disney Bubble, we stayed a week at a $250 place that was "off-site," same distance as PPH, but included a real, hot breakfast. (Also was a one-bedroom suite with a kitchen with a full-size fridge for snacks.) Everyone there were families going to Disneyland. We walked to the parks every morning surrounded only by others doing the same, just like migrations for WDW transportation, and we walked home every night in the same crowd.
I only felt outside the bubble when I drove 1-3 miles down Harbour to get us meals at El Pollo Loco and other yummy Cali places where we could eat for under $50. Can't do that at Disney Springs (or Downtown Disney, for that matter)!

"How Much is There to Do":
As others mentioned, the two DLR parks have almost as many rides as four WDW parks. The Batuu is equal in size and everything else, plus they get the new SW food offerings first. The Marvel campus is opening, joining Cars Land as another unique area at DCA.
With the parks so close, you can enjoy multiple big-time shows and parades each day. You can see "Frozen" at the Hyperion, a condensed Broadway show better and with higher production values than any live show at DHS. Then you can walk to DL for the parade! Or see the Pixar parade at DCA and get to DL for the Magical Map show. At DLR, with its smaller footprint, you're more likely to see the street performers like Dapper Dans and the different acts at DCA. In fact, the live performances of all kinds are an area where DLR really outshines WDW. (It has the advantage of being near Hollywood, chock-a-block with performers who need a gig.)
You will need 4-5 days to see it all! But then I think all the parks are more than just rides.

As long s you go with the expectation that this is NOT WDW, you will be fine. We were really disappointed our first trip. We felt like we were at Cedar Point. There are a lot of locals and you miss that “magic”. There are not tons of little girls dressed in princess dresses, the castle is small, and CMs were not as “happy”. That being said, we can do the parks easily in 3 days, cars land and Pixar pier are so much fun ( can’t count how many times we rode the incredacoaster, it was DS12 favorite ride), and we love grizzly falls. Definitely get maxpass, it’s worth every penny. We rode everything we wanted. Hopping is as easy as walking across the street. We stayed directly across the street and it saved a ton of money and we had free breakfast. The walk is short. I do recommend Southern California. Do the zoo, the beaches (La Jolla cove and Mission Beach were huge hits with the kids) SAN Diego is beautiful and we really enjoyed it. We could have stayed longer!!!

I don't agree with that at all. I never felt a lack of magic at Disneyland. I also found the CM's much nicer overall. In fact, I found Disneyland to be more magical than the Magic Kingdom.

It's all perspective, price and nostalgia. I've lived on the west coast my whole life. I grew up going to DLR and my kids have grown up going to DLR. My childhood nostalgia is at DLR.

The first time I took the kids to Disney World was in 2007. IT. WAS. MAGIC! We as a family absolutely fell in love with Disney World. We'd rather spend money on flights and transportation to get there than go to DLR any day.

WDW is almost always cheaper with far more to do than DLR. Especially if you stay on property. We usually stay at Grand Californian and Disneyland hotel. Staying a week there can almost pay for 2 weeks at WDW or longer depending what tier property you choose at WDW.

We still visit DLR because of distance. We last went to WDW for 14 days in Dec 2018 and DLR for 8 days in Oct 2019. We vowed it would be our last trip to DLR unless a quick trip on the way to San Diego to see the new marvel stuff. We'd rather save for WDW.

Since there is a lot less space, the crowds feel so much worse! Downtown Disney compared to Disney Springs is not even a contest. Max pass is okay but I find I got a lot more done at WDW all the way until close by refreshing. Walking around is just underwhelming. Since it's right in the city, it can feel grungy on the outskirts. The Halloween party is underwhelming (except for the trick or treat trails and GotG ride) compared to WDW. Disney world really feels like a world! So many more restaurants and experiences to try. New things to try every trip! It's just not as magical feeling for our family.

That being said, there are lots of things that are better at DLR. The actual rides, especially duplicate rides are hands down better and maintained. I felt, even with the crowds, the bathrooms were cleaner. The staff were friendlier on the whole. DCA is a better park imo. The boardwalk area is really nice and outside of the cars ride the other lines were manageable with max pass. I have to say, I went on the Guardians of the Galaxy with a poor judgmental attitude (I loved ToT) I came out of it blown away, especially the Halloween party version. So, so cool. We absolutely loved it. I'd say you really only need 3 days at DLR. Two days at DCA and 1 at DL. See the rest of the numerous CA sights. There's a southern CA go card and LA pass that's really reasonable (Costco offers deals on the go cards as well)

To end this, WDW is a longer destination. There is so much to do. DLR is an experience. Worth a visit, but definitely not two weeks alone.

I have been to both parks multiple times, and I did a "lengthy" trip (5 park days) to Disneyland followed by a week-long trip to WDW only four months later.

Since your family has been to WDW multiple times in the last five years, I think you would really enjoy the change of pace that DLR offers! Two weeks is a long time even for WDW (for the average guest) and that would be a great amount of time to tour parts of California along with Disneyland. There's obviously a lot to do around LA, but San Francisco is pretty close as well as Yosemite, and then of course there is the Pacific Coast Highway drive (Monterey Bay, Big Sur, etc).

Also, June is so hot in Florida, and it's usually not bad at all around LA that time of year. I don't think you would regret DLR one bit, California Adventure is an underrated park and I spent five days in the parks and still wasn't ready to leave.

I love both DLR and WDW and I think Disney fans should experience both of them. They each shine in different ways and you will miss parts of each when at the other.

Disneyland! I am a local DL passholder, so I frequent the parks. I just got back from a WDW vacation. I loved eery minute of our time at WDW. But I will say, it didn't have the nostagia factor that I have at DL. At DL, I still get emotional at things like the fireworks, fantasmic, the smell of the pirates water, etc. There's just something about being at the park Walt Disney helped create.

2-3 days is plenty. And you can find good off-site hotels for under $200 a night. It's really an extended weekend park.
Not for my party of six. And we really value having a good breakfast included. Pre-paid and close to where we sleep.
And again, if you want to see all the shows and parades, and do the rides, I think 4 days is a minimum, esp if you will not, or can not, go from rope drop to close. Four+ days is what I would want for a pleasant vacation, not the "death march" my DH describes about our days at WDW trying to get through four sprawling parks.

This is true, if you are willing to pay the prices for those on property hotels. You don't get value or moderate resort prices if you stay on property at Disneyland.
I think the point is that you can do that even without staying on property. In fact, some of the off-site hotels on Harbor are closer to the main gates than the on-site hotels.

I think the point is that you can do that even without staying on property. In fact, some of the off-site hotels on Harbor are closer to the main gates than the on-site hotels.

We stayed at the BW directly across from the entrance on Harbor and it was life changing! Under $250/night during peak summer season and we left our room and were at security in five minutes. We didn’t miss the “Disney bubble” of WDW since Disneyland was practically at our doorstep anyways. We only stay on property in WDW but since DLR doesn’t do FP+ there wasn’t any incentive for us.

Since there is a lot less space, the crowds feel so much worse! Downtown Disney compared to Disney Springs is not even a contest.
Which is better and you can spend more time in? Downtown Disney was nice in that it was also walk-able to DL and DCA. We are planning on visiting Disney Springs on our upcoming cruise when it stops at Port Canaveral but haven't been there as of yet.

What about Disneyland Paris and France in general. It's not terribly expensive for flights and it's something out of the ordinary.
I'm thinking you have a different definition to "not terribly expensive" than me, LOL
Flights, hotels, food, etc, is way more than any DL or WDW trip. Not to mention, travel times. I can't jaunt there in 2 hours, LOL
But, it doesn't mean to diminish the park, I'm sure it's fabulous. As are the others. Just not really the same type of trip

We stayed at the BW directly across from the entrance on Harbor and it was life changing! Under $250/night during peak summer season and we left our room and were at security in five minutes. We didn’t miss the “Disney bubble” of WDW since Disneyland was practically at our doorstep anyways. We only stay on property in WDW but since DLR doesn’t do FP+ there wasn’t any incentive for us.
Agree. We only stay on-property at WDW, but only stay off-property at DL. The main reason for staying on at WDW is travel time, in addition to fast passes. At DL the walk is so easy from the off-property hotels. Sure, it’s a city street and not actually Disney, but it’s no big deal.

We've done both. For our first trip we stayed at the "classic" DLH. Figured, we'd go all out, not sure we'd go back since it's a cross country trek vs a 2 state away trek.
We have gone back and now go with the Harbor hotel option instead.
Honestly, it's closer there. Not just half the cost but about half the walk too. Yes, there are some homeless folks napping on the street here or there. Yes there are some entertaining folks standing on the corners hawking their goods or just providing a bit of entertainment. I look at it as adding a bit more character vs. taking things away. They are not intrusive in any way and incredibly easy to ignore if you want. We've heading back in May and staying on Harbor again without hesitation.

I used to swear I'd never stay off property at WDW. Actually, I still don't. We just stay at Bonnet Creek which while on property, isn't Disney property. Disneyland, this April is just our 2nd trip. We stayed at the DLH and loved it. Wanted to stay a bit closer so we went for the GCH. I really felt completely immersed at Disneyland staying onsite.

Lots of examples here showing there are LOTS of ways to see Disney
What works for you depends on where you live, who you are traveling with, and what brings you the best memories.

I prefer Disneyland because it's more compact and requires less planning. It's much easier to plan a trip to DL. We've taken a few 10-day family vacations to southern California that included DL, LA, and San Diego. Those were great trips.

I'm from CA, so I can drive to DLR. I've been to WDW once, and I'm going back this fall to see all the parks. If you're used to WDW, Land will seem small. It is. But it's great. Think of it as compact, not small. And it's so much faster to move between the parks! Also, I find there were so many more instances of rude people and pushy people when I was at World. In Land it just seems like we miss out on some of that (not all, jerks are, sadly, everywhere). I think World is a bigger tourist destination so they get a bigger share.
And, like so many others have said, you need to see it.
Also Radiator Springs Racers makes DCA worth it.
But our Universal Studios can't hold a candle to the Orlando version.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter