Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #3!- HOLIDAYS BEGIN 11/12/13!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your room looks super nice! Did the couch turn into a sofa sleeper? This might be where we stay next, if they have bath tubs in some rooms! Thanks for the awesome review and we love Steakhouse 55 too!

Wondering if anyone thinks about it and is planning on taking ride photos the rest of the season, would someone try to get a picture of something in the HM for my mom? She tried (but failed) to get a picture of the present in the room where the Magic Ball/Witch that has the gift tag "Bruce" on it (my brother's name). If anyone is already planning on taking pictures and remembers she would appreciate the share!

Your room looks super nice! Did the couch turn into a sofa sleeper? This might be where we stay next, if they have bath tubs in some rooms! Thanks for the awesome review and we love Steakhouse 55 too!

It was a wonderful stay. I would try calling the hotel directly to ask if they have tubs in some rooms..even so it may not be a guarantee so may not be the best fit :(

Hopefully you fund what works best for your family :)

It was a wonderful stay. I would try calling the hotel directly to ask if they have tubs in some rooms..even so it may not be a guarantee so may not be the best fit :(

Hopefully you fund what works best for your family :)

Hi! I noticed from your mini trip report that you're from the Bay Area and drove down. I'm also from the Bay Area and we're headed down to Anaheim on Jan. 1. How long does it typically take you? We're planning on leaving at 7:30am, hopefully getting to Anaheim early afternoon. (we're hoping for less traffic since it's New Year's Day!) Thanks in advance!

Saw Saving Mr Banks tonight a day earlier than I thought it would come out. I really enjoyed it. It was sad yet a wonderful film. For those that know me, Mary Poppins is my favorite Disney film. I love the songs and story. I now understand the back story so much more. Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson were great as we're the rest of the cast. Seeing Disneyland was a sweet moment as well. Need to get back there. Sigh.

Hi! I noticed from your mini trip report that you're from the Bay Area and drove down. I'm also from the Bay Area and we're headed down to Anaheim on Jan. 1. How long does it typically take you? We're planning on leaving at 7:30am, hopefully getting to Anaheim early afternoon. (we're hoping for less traffic since it's New Year's Day!) Thanks in advance!

We nearly always drive and often as we are AP holders. As long as we leave by 6am on a weekday taking I-5 (presuming the Grapevine is open) we typically can make it in 5.5 hours - depending on LA traffic. I would actually bet on more traffic as everyone rushes to leave/get back home for work the next day , so just be prepared either way it's so hard to predict.

Our last trip we had to take 101 due to the Grapevine having snow - that took us about 7.5 hours.

We are also 2 adults so we don't really make any stops except once to top off the gas tank/lunch so your mileage may vary.

We drive from Hayward/Castro Valley as a reference point.

For those who have seen Saving Mr. Banks, what is your feel on the PG-13 rating? I've read some reviews that says it deals with some heavy stuff (and they mention them), but is it something totally inapproriate for those under 13? I know it's each parent's choice - just trying to gauge, my almost 10 year old really wants to see it.

We nearly always drive and often as we are AP holders. As long as we leave by 6am on a weekday taking I-5 (presuming the Grapevine is open) we typically can make it in 5.5 hours - depending on LA traffic. I would actually bet on more traffic as everyone rushes to leave/get back home for work the next day , so just be prepared either way it's so hard to predict. Our last trip we had to take 101 due to the Grapevine having snow - that took us about 7.5 hours. We are also 2 adults so we don't really make any stops except once to top off the gas tank/lunch so your mileage may vary. We drive from Hayward/Castro Valley as a reference point.

Oh ok, thank you! We're in Concord- we're really not in a huge rush since our day driving isn't a planned park day anyway, but just wanted to get an idea. I think we'll probably stop once for lunch as well, and probably for a bathroom/gas stop also. We're 5 adults so frequent bathroom breaks shouldn't be too much of a concern (I hope). Thanks again!

Thanks for the heads up on PCH Grill! Upon further inspection, I'm thinking Storyteller's might be a better option.

I took my DD4 to Storytellers for lunch when my DH took his turn taking our almost DD2 back to the hotel for a nap. It was my first time and we both loved it! We shared the salmon plate, and although she ate almost 3/4 of the salmon :) it was still enough for us. The bread basket was soo delicious! We definitely will be going back. We went on Dec 9, a Monday, around 2:00, and we waited 15 minutes for a table. I like odd hours for eating at Disney to avoid lines (we do lots of snacking to accommodate that).

With my two littles, I don't make reservations as they are just too hard for us to be sure we can stick to. We do a lot of counter service and eating at sit-down at off hours. We also have learned not to be too picky about where we eat (like, I must eat at Carthay and no place else will do). If you are ok with that, I think you will find that you should be fine.

Oh ok, thank you! We're in Concord- we're really not in a huge rush since our day driving isn't a planned park day anyway, but just wanted to get an idea. I think we'll probably stop once for lunch as well, and probably for a bathroom/gas stop also. We're 5 adults so frequent bathroom breaks shouldn't be too much of a concern (I hope). Thanks again!

We are from Martinez, and last weekend we made it home from Anaheim in 5.5 hours with only one stop for refuel and potty break. We left early, before 7:30am. It really isn't fun leaving that early, but we like getting home with a big chunk of the day left still.

The thing that kills our time is traffic over the altamont when leaving and traffic getting into LA. We try to avoid LA commute traffic at all costs. On the 12th we left at 2:30pm and got there at 8:30pm with only one stop again. We have a 4 and 6 year old and sometimes we have to stop more than once, but luckily this trip we didn't have to ;)

Have a safe trip and be on the the lookout, we saw lots of CHP out and about, more than usual.

Why is it that I just can't sleep when I am at Disney?! Well, it gives me time to DIS anyway. We had a glorious second day! It started with EMH at DL. My daughter rode Space Mountain. She is a roller coaster late bloomer and by the end of the evening, she was on the Matterhorn! (CA Screaming next perhaps?) They tackled Space again and then Star Wars while I rode Nemo. They don't like Nemo. Go figure! DS liked it better before they made it cute. Something about a sea monster! Then we met up at Buzz where he outscored us all again. I can never see what I am shooting at on that ride!

EMH was over and we were then off to Adventureland to ride Indiana Jones. The sign said ten minutes, but that did not account for time in line due to ride break downs! Every time we ride Indiana, it gets stuck somewhere. We looked for the hidden Eyore in the que, but couldn't see it. By now it was raining pretty well, so we dashed across the street for breakfast at River Belle Terrace and ate outside in a lovely protected nook that a kind CM led us to.

Then it was off to HM! The gingerbread house! Oh my gosh!! That was a great place to get stuck! (Does DL not function well in the rain?) There were so many nice surprises in the HM that were new this year.

By now my poor son's foot was hurting, so back to the room he went. My DD and I forged on to Critter Country. Pooh ran without a hitch (yeah!) and we followed that with a cupcake chaser at Hungry Bear. After seeing the picture on the food thread, I had to try one. It was prettier than it tasted, I must admit.

Believe it or not, it started getting crowded by noon, so we started shopping. A task DS could care less about. I got my Hidden Minnie bag! Merry Christmas Momma! I considered getting the matching wallet, but restrained myself. Even with the nice coupon on the receipt, the sticker shock was a bit much! We couldn't find any plush characters in holiday jammies this year and the holiday demitasse cups at Jolly Holiday were all gone already. We were glad we got the ones we did last year. If you find some holiday items that you want, grab them right away. Things are selling out quickly!

Our afternoon was spent napping, munching on toffee and popcorn (a wonderful combination) and watching another movie. Then it was off to Goofy's Kitchen for dinner. The Goofy was much more subdued, but the Minnie was so charming! They had the same tree as last year. Goofy just can't figure out how to decorate that thing, so the top topples!

DD and I hoofed it to DL because the monorail wasn't working. Must be the rain! DS went back to the room with his sore foot. Good thing because it was a looong walk. Every time I think we should stay at the DL Hotel, I remember how far it seems compared to the GCH.

Fantasyland was a practical walk-on for everything. Matterhorn took 15 minutes. Mr. Toad took 10. Pinocchio was less than five. We waited for one train to get on Casey Jr. It was a perfect ride night. I guess the crowds got water logged and went home early. It really is a good strategy to take that mid day nap. We finished off the day with the fireworks which were almost cancelled. I always choke up. I so love that music. No snow though because that would have made the wet ground way too slippery. Then it was sweet dreams for everyone but me. I hope I can catch a few winks before EMH this morning. It will be another magical day!

For those who have seen Saving Mr. Banks, what is your feel on the PG-13 rating? I've read some reviews that says it deals with some heavy stuff (and they mention them), but is it something totally inapproriate for those under 13? I know it's each parent's choice - just trying to gauge, my almost 10 year old really wants to see it.

POSSIBLE SPOILER IF YOU KNOW NOTHING OF THE HISTORY DO NOT READ BELOW. Really wish the forum supported spoiler tags lol. It does explain why it got the PG13 rating though.

Most of what the PG-13 i'd say is due to the Alcoholism that Travers battles during the movie. I don't think I heard anything more than a damn or hell during the movie. I would say those scenes could be extreme, but it also really didn't phase me since I do have alcoholics in the family and it was a pretty accurate portrayal on that end.

For those of you who get lots of snow in the winter months, and are used to it, you'll get a chuckle out of this. We're having a white Christmas here, and 3 inches of the white stuff is falling with another inch or two expected before it's over. The drivers out here don't know the concept of driving in snow, so there's absolute chaos and mayhem on the roads at the moment, as those fools don't believe in snow tires. There are accidents all over the place, large vehicles stuck, you name it, we've got it at the moment:scared1:. I've got snow tires, and while it's a little slippery, it's nothing I can't handle. However I have to watch for all the drivers who don't know how to drive in it:duck:. We had one casuality of the snow before 8am. My DH's cousin slid into a pole, and christened his new truck. May have DH fix it, if he can get the parts list for it from ICBC and is willing to supply the parts. He shaken up but OK. So I'm not kidding when I say that 2 inches of snow is enough to paralyse our entire area (it's a running joke here!):rotfl2::rotfl2:.

For those of you who get lots of snow in the winter months, and are used to it, you'll get a chuckle out of this. We're having a white Christmas here, and 3 inches of the white stuff is falling with another inch or two expected before it's over. The drivers out here don't know the concept of driving in snow, so there's absolute chaos and mayhem on the roads at the moment, as those fools don't believe in snow tires. There are accidents all over the place, large vehicles stuck, you name it, we've got it at the moment:scared1:. I've got snow tires, and while it's a little slippery, it's nothing I can't handle. However I have to watch for all the drivers who don't know how to drive in it:duck:. We had one casuality of the snow before 8am. My DH's cousin slid into a pole, and christened his new truck. May have DH fix it, if he can get the parts list for it from ICBC and is willing to supply the parts. He shaken up but OK. So I'm not kidding when I say that 2 inches of snow is enough to paralyse our entire area (it's a running joke here!):rotfl2::rotfl2:.

Sound like here. Hope DH's cousin is OK.

He's fine, he was turning a corner, and the roads had yet to be plowed. The rear end of his truck slid out, and tagged a pole. From what we've heard minor damage, but that can mean anything these days, as parts are so expensive. The greyhounds hate the snow with a passion, and don't even like to play in it. It's still snowing, but it doesn't bother me to drive in it, and the kids are in snow heaven. They love snow, and it's something they really like to play in. We tend to get 4 really mild winters, followed by a really cold and snowy one, guess which winter we are in???

T0rrent said:
POSSIBLE SPOILER IF YOU KNOW NOTHING OF THE HISTORY DO NOT READ BELOW. Really wish the forum supported spoiler tags lol. It does explain why it got the PG13 rating though.

Most of what the PG-13 i'd say is due to the Alcoholism that Travers battles during the movie. I don't think I heard anything more than a damn or hell during the movie. I would say those scenes could be extreme, but it also really didn't phase me since I do have alcoholics in the family and it was a pretty accurate portrayal on that end.

Thank you. That is what I had read too. I think she would be OK with that...

Ok, so I still haven't finished unpacking yet, but did manage to pick up a few things for the kids and hubby to open on Christmas day. Yeah! I finally have a few mintutes for a review of our trip!
Overall, the trip was GREAT! We had a really good time. The kids were soooo surprised! It was awesome. I don't know if this link will work, but here's the video...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202825144174975&l=2362988458650824779

We were on the road before 8am and got the the hotel by about 2:30pm! We stayed at the Ramada Inn Maingate. Great location, the breakfast was nothing fancy, but it got us going. The rooms were fine. Pool was great. FYI-DO NOT decided you 5 year old needs more fiber in his diet and give him a Fiber One bar. Yes, were were that obnoxious family that forced the hotel to close the pool for an hour. I was SOOOOOOOOOOOO embarassed!!

DS5 wanted to do the Redwood Challenge trail on arrival, so we hit DCA first. LOVED Buena Vista street. It was gourgeous! We did the ELF challenge and the kids got their ELF pins. Super fun. Headed over to DL for dinner and got in line for Plaza Inn just before things got crazy. We were able to hear the parade and see the tops of the floats. The chicken was GREAT! DS5 was tired, so he and Daddy headed back to the room. DD & I did a few things and tried to see the fireworks, but they were cancelled.

Saturday we had planned to be to DCA for rope drop, but hubby woke up barely able to walk. We tried to get to the parks, but he was walking so slow I knew it wouldn't work, so I left him and the kids in front of Desert Inn and went back to the hotel to rent a wheelchair. Luckily the rental place was right out front! $25 a day, but worth it to be able to bring it back and forth with us. Got our WOC FP and RSR FP, spent the morning and then headed back to the hotel for lunch and a swim. (Until we closed the pool :-( ) Headed back to the park to ride RSR and as we were about to get on DS5 decides he's too scared (rode it 3 times last visit!). DH and DD rode, but I was in tears. We'd been keeping our chins up, but I just lost it. A VERY lovely castmember Renee tried to coax Zack on the ride, and said that we could all go together when Daddy and Sister came back, but he wasn't having it, so she let DD stay on, and I got to ride with her while DH stayed with the boy. Then, she went over and above and gave us 2 FP's. One for that day (Sun) that we used on TSMM, and one for the next for Jungle Cruise, DS's ride of choice. So sweet!! Did WOC Winter Dreams and were able to utilize the handicapped seating. Not fabulous, but fine. Liked it, but not as much as the regular one.

Monday we hit DL and were there ALL day. (Other than heading back to the hotel to drop DH&DS off at about 8). We closed the park! :-) So fun. We were able to do Astro Blasters, Star Tours, SWH, Jungle Cruise, Peter Pan and I think a few others, plus did Jingle Jangle Jamboree. LOVED IT!!

Tuesday we had to drive home, but had MM, so did Fantasyland (except PP since we did it the day before) plus Astro Blasters and made it over the DCA for rope drop! Headed for TSMM, but it was down. Waited around, shopped and rode the carousel and then got on when it did open. Shopped a bit and then headed home.

Overall, it was a trip filled with wonderful memories and quite a bit of Pixie Dust!!

We just landed at the ILs last night from our trip. Whew! I did a mini summary here of some of the high points. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3211240

We hit DCA on Monday all day, then DL Tuesday. On Wednesday we started at DL, went back to the room where DS and DH rested while DD and I went and did a couple rides and some shopping. I picked up some Screamin' FPs for DH and MIL so when we went back, DH and MIL went to screamin' and had a great time. We did Napa Rose Wed. night and back to DL on Thursday for half day and then gone. I spent 2 hours waiting for Elsa and Anna and it was great but don't think I'd wait 2 hours for a character again.

Just wanted to (late) report a few things from our trip back in mid-Nov. (14-17). I was pretty apprehensive about the beginning of the holiday season and crowds, but it was pretty good. AND after reading all the reports of those who were at the parks since the beginning of Dec., I am very glad we did not wait! Stayed at the DGC and it was GREAT! Loved it! Had a room close to the entrance into DCA and on the 3rd floor. Really nice and comfy! And we were 4 adults sharing one room! One disappointment was the Friday early entry to DCA. We did go the DGC entrance and stood in line (one of us had back problems and mobility issues). it was not bad....somewhat slow, but by the time we got into the park, it still was not "open", so.....no biggie, really. BUT, went around to RSR and it was DOWN! :faint: So, then we high-tail it (relatively!) to TSMM and as we are across the bridge and heading down to the area we hear that it, too is closed! :( YIKES! we ended up at Flo's for a little breakfast and to figure out what to do....!! not really how I had imagined spending early entry. :faint::faint:
Had dinner that night at BTBBQ...... wow, really good. I had not been for several years and I must say that I'm glad we went! The first day we had lunch at Cafe Orleans.....yum....monte cristos ( 2 for 4 adults) and (1 order) pommes frites and still had leftovers!!
For my special b-day dinner, though, we went to Steakhouse 55 (THANK YOU to all who discussed it here!). WOW! It was wonderful! We all loved it and ate ourselves silly.....!! had to try the 24 layer chocolate cake!! HaHa.. YUM, YUM! and took most of it home! So, so good!
Wanted to add, my sister and I both got gingerbread mickeys at trolley treats at different times, so I guess we lucked out! In Disneyland we saw them making fudgemallows at the Candy palace and our eyes widened! We were on our way to BTBBQ, though, so did not stop......BIG MISTAKE! We never saw them again! apparently they only make them 2 times a week and they are gone quick!
As far as peppermint ice cream goes......hopefully they can find another ice cream maker to do it. Dreyers has really gone downhill since they were bought out by Nestle.....quality and "customer service".
I know there are lots of other things I could add, but this is long enough already and starting to ramble a bit!!
Just wanted to report in even though it's a little (!) late....

Quasi-off-topic. If you are familiar with the You Tube Channel "Convo's with my 2 Year Old" their newest video they are in Disneyland! It isn't super funny like some of the earlier work, but it is super cute.

For those not familiar, a couple of Canadian film makers recreate conversations one of them has with his 2 (now 3) year old daughter....with the daughter being played by another grown man. Some of the videos are better than the others, most are at least cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&feature=iv&src_vid=nzJ1BdaNXD4&v=o1_B3rVycKI

I'm thinking they were endorsed by Disney because some of the shots look like they had to be staged & set up for by cast members. But DL is dressed up for Christmas, so that had to have been there in the past month. How cool it would have been to be there while they were filming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter