Disneyland bubble

There is less of a Disney bubble in California in comparison to Orlando. It's very easy for the outside world to get in.

How much is the bubble worth it to you?
If it is worth it to you to pay $500-$1,000 per night extra to stay at the Grand Californian with the right view. Then go for that.

Otherwise, put it into perspective how much you will see the outside world.
If you stay at a Harbor hotel, and plan to spend all day in the park from open to close, are the few minutes crossing the street or talking to a non-Disney employee at the hotel really that much of a nuisance?

Bubble is also mindset. If you're willing to let a glimpse of outside world pop it, you may also be subject to disappointment with crying children, mad Karens and broken rides. ...

Take it in, let the little stuff slide. We love gc because it is a quality stay steps away from disney. Harbor drive motels are okay for sure, just not same as gc. Pricing for sure is an issue and that's why we went vgc to get gc access at harbor priced access.

How much is the bubble worth it to you?
If it is worth it to you to pay $500-$1,000 per night extra to stay at the Grand Californian with the right view. Then go for that.
There are ways to make that difference much smaller. Look for sales/discounts, which are fairly regular. Go during Gay Days or Dapper Day. You can stay at DLH for about $450/night. I go while the Christmas holiday stuff is in full swing and yes, it can be pricey, but you can still catch a discount at the right time as Disney usually has a 15-20% off deal.

We were frequent WDW visitors who went to California for the first time this month. It was a lovely experience, and I definitely felt like I was in the Disney bubble for the whole time. We stayed at Grand Californian and the hotel location is fabulous. No need for buses, skyliners, water taxis, or even the monorail (although one exists). A quiet separate entrance. The JWs didn’t even bother me, I’m used to seeing “Jesus Loves You” in skywriting at WDW so much that it’s part of the experience now. Same with the bubble wands - I have fun and pop as many of them as I can!

There’s definitely a charm at Disneyland that’s different from the charm at WDW. And the distance between rides is awesome.

You have to keep in mind in 1955, it WAS in the middle of nowhere. Even as a younger person, I have fond memories of the last remaining strawberry field down on the corner near Harbor and Katella. They sold them at their own stand there.

Should Walt have bought more land? He could barely get financing for what he did get!

For me…my bubble includes Candy Cane which has been there since the beginning and whose staff are just as sweet and kind as any Disney CM.

My last visit to WDW last November…I didn’t even have personal contact with anyone at our hotel…everything done on the app. Not much Disney Magic there.
Isn't avoid check in lines a big hit of Pixie Dust?

possibly stopping at Disneyland while we are there.

This is for sure something that would make me feel outside of the bubble, but totally normal for cities I travel to, just not what I want for the Disney bubble.
Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like Disneyland is going to be the experience that you want. Since visiting is only a possibility while you are in town, you might look for other things in So Cal that are more likely to meet your expectations.

I guess you have to ask yourself how important the so called “bubble” is. Is it so important that you would skip going to the parks because you might see the real world on your way in/out of the parks and on a few, very limited attractions?

For me when I visit the parks the surrounding areas don’t bother me and even if I am at Denny’s across the street or PF Chang’s at Garden Walk I still feel the magic because these are extensions of my Disneyland trip. This time I’ll be visiting area Breweries and expect double the magic because I will be doing two things I really enjoy at the same time.

I guess you have to ask yourself how important the so called “bubble” is. Is it so important that you would skip going to the parks because you might see the real world on your way in/out of the parks and on a few, very limited attractions?

For me when I visit the parks the surrounding areas don’t bother me and even if I am at Denny’s across the street or PF Chang’s at Garden Walk I still feel the magic because these are extensions of my Disneyland trip. This time I’ll be visiting area Breweries and expect double the magic because I will be doing two things I really enjoy at the same time.
I agree!

While I understand how nice it sounds to be surrounded by the Disney bubble, IMO there are also good things about having the "real world" right outside the gates. For example, you can walk from many, many hotels/motels and choose non-Disney companies you may belong to. There are a lot more dining options. You can get to a store. You can visit other non-Disney attractions nearby. That's just a partial list as there are also so many cool places to see that are a short drive/uber away.

I agree. To me the Disney Bubble is created when I have my family around me and we are on our way to Disney. I come all the way from Australia to either visit DL or WDW and I can't visit nearly as often as I would like so the Disney Bubble starts for me the moment I get on that plane and I can leave my everyday life behind.

Don't go to Disneyland expecting it to be exactly like WDW. Same goes for vice versa. There are differences. If having a "bubble" is an absolute must-have and if it isn't totally & complete available it will totally ruin your trip, then just skip Disneyland entirely.

However, if you go in with a bubble mindset of "I get to go to Disneyland today and that's gonna make this a GREAT day!" then you'll be in the bubble literally all day long and it might even bleed over for the next few days AFTER your visit.

A dear friend of mine (who's had a change of address) used to go to Disneyland every week when she lived about an hour's drive away. She'd say that when people are at Disneyland, they're better versions of themselves. They're maybe a little more patient, a little nicer to each other, etc.

Be creative and think outside the box a little bit and create your own bubble. :-)

I think growing up on the West Coast and being a DLR person since I was a child, we probably have a different perspective as to what constitutes a "bubble" than what it is for WDW people. As a kid, it hit me as soon as I could see the Matterhorn come into view and stayed with me the whole trip, even if I wasn't in the parks. (Nowadays, with Guardians being prominent from outside the park, as well as the Wheel of Death, it's not just the Matterhorn that gets me in that head space.) When you can see the Disney fireworks from all over Anaheim, that's bubble to ME. Even with the real world slipped in, it's not the real world I'm used to at home.

Heck, even when I'm in the area for other things, I feel better just knowing Disneyland is RIGHT THERE.

The "bubble" is what you make of it. And IMO, it would be a shame to miss out on all the wonderful things DLR has to offer just because you may have to see something that isn't Disney outside.

Last edited:
We are WDW vets. At DLR we usually stay at the Disneyland Hotel. The walk to the parks is directly through DTD--- the hotel is at one end of DTD and the parks are at the other end. We feel completely in the Disney bubble the whole time, like we do at WDW. The only way we even remotely feel outside the bubble if we do that is if we go on the ferris wheel at California adventure because it is really high and you can see outside the parks.

One trip we had to come in a day early due to weather and DLH was full so we stayed at the Fairfield Inn on Harbor for one night. The staff there was great and there was nothing wrong with the hotel at all-- except for the fact that walking on Harbor as WDW vets, we felt completely outside of the Disney bubble by WDW standards. DH has not complained about the price of DLH or said we should stay on the Harbor side since. So, for us as we were used to WDW, DLH is worth it. Now, if you are staying elsewhere away from Disney where your friends live and are just driving in each day, once you hit the Disney parking lot, you will be in the Disney bubble.

I've tried to experience the bubble at DL as I get to WDW. I can't get it. And listen, DL was my first Disney park and I'm a Californian through and through. But Florida just gets it right. I've stayed at Paradise/Pixar Pier Hotel and even the Disneyland Hotel. I could never feel that bubble. I'm told staying at GC will get you that bubble, and I can see how. But who can afford that?

You go to DL for the rides and some ambiance. You go to WDW for MEGA-ambiance and rides.

To me, constantly having to get on a bus to move to different parks is much more of a 'Bubble' popping experience than seeing the outside world. I find DL to be much more 'Bubble-esque'
Never got the bubble idealogy of WDW unless walking or monorail. Bus itself is bursting. Nothing disney about bus transportation. Same would go for Harbor hotels.

Now, if you're on vacation mode, that's a bubble that I'm for and no view of outside Disney or bus or crying baby or annoying Karen is going to burst that bubble sensation.

I would say -- set reasonable expectations for your 'bubble' -- and enjoy it. :D

To me, constantly having to get on a bus to move to different parks is much more of a 'Bubble' popping experience than seeing the outside world. I find DL to be much more 'Bubble-esque'

The buses really aren't that bad, but it can depend on the route you are travelling and the bus itself - some are better than otehrs. The quick rides aren't too bad.

Never got the bubble idealogy of WDW unless walking or monorail. Bus itself is bursting. Nothing disney about bus transportation. Same would go for Harbor hotels.

Monorail, Skyliner, and Water Taxis too - they are better than the busses. I swear, I don't know why they never implemented the People Mover as a viable transportation system. 😁

Last edited:
I've tried to experience the bubble at DL as I get to WDW. I can't get it. And listen, DL was my first Disney park and I'm a Californian through and through. But Florida just gets it right. I've stayed at Paradise/Pixar Pier Hotel and even the Disneyland Hotel. I could never feel that bubble. I'm told staying at GC will get you that bubble, and I can see how. But who can afford that?

You go to DL for the rides and some ambiance. You go to WDW for MEGA-ambiance and rides.

I think the ambiance at Disneyland is so much better. There's something more authentic about it. Disneyland is like a locally owned shop vs. a big-box store like Target. Sure, it's smaller and may not give you as much bang for your buck...the the atmosphere is sweeter.

I say this as someone who actually loves both WDW and Disneyland.

I like both versions of the Disney Bubble (actually I’ve been to Paris as well so three versions)

I guess I just carry my own bubble in my brain/heart/soul.

I love the total Disney overlay in Florida, but the mini private garden version in Anaheim has its own appeal.

Most of my DL visits have been offsite and it’s a little like Vegas. You walk the street amused by the over the top fake set design decor and blatant advertisements knowing that a whole different world is right behind the hedges. It’s kind of its own magic and anticipation worthy experience all on its own.

That being said I totally dug the retro/nostalgic vibe of DLH. I thought it was a once and done stay but I’ve decided to attempt a bucket list trip in September. I will definitely have enough Bubble to make some magic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter