Disneyland Half Marathon 2024

Thoughts on Burbank airport?
My parents live in Glendale, so I use that airport to visit them. Like John Wayne and Long Beach, it’s quick and easy to get in/out of because of its size. It is a drive from Disneyland (anywhere from 45 mins to 2+ Hrs depending on traffic), but it does have a Metrolink stop (if you want to skip having a rental car, you can take the train down to Anaheim, and then catch the Art Shuttle or a taxi to your hotel).

Does anyone know if they open the esplanade between Harbour and the parks and downtown Disney, so runners can walk directly through for the race start?
It has always been open in the past, but there is usually a cut-off time where they block it off for the race itself (some paths have had people running through the esplanade, same with DTD being blocked off at a certain point for the final leg of most races).

Speculation Question:
I saw on Facebook that there will be "Jeff Galloway" Pacers running the Princess Half in WDW. Do you think we will have JG Pacers in the Disneyland Half?

I'm noticing that the Princess Pacers all take 30 sec walk breaks with their run time ranging from 4 min to 15 sec. When I ran a virtual half 2 years ago I ran 4 mins/walked 1 min. My overall pace was about 11 min/mile. I'm trying to figure out if I should train the same way I did for my virtual half or if I should change strategies.
This past weekend I ran 15km on the treadmill. I tried to run 2 min/walk 30 sec, but I found the 30 sec break too short by the time the tread actually slowed down, so I switched my timer to 2 min/40 sec. I think that got me a true break of about 33 sec. My overall pace ended up 11:41/mile.

This isn't "easy" for me. I can do it, but with a tomato face and my heart rate was in the red zone for about a third of it.

Ok - I'll just be stressing and second-guessing everything until August when I really get into a training plan!:P🤯 Happy to hear any thoughts you have.

Speculation Question:
I saw on Facebook that there will be "Jeff Galloway" Pacers running the Princess Half in WDW. Do you think we will have JG Pacers in the Disneyland Half?

I'm noticing that the Princess Pacers all take 30 sec walk breaks with their run time ranging from 4 min to 15 sec. When I ran a virtual half 2 years ago I ran 4 mins/walked 1 min. My overall pace was about 11 min/mile. I'm trying to figure out if I should train the same way I did for my virtual half or if I should change strategies.
This past weekend I ran 15km on the treadmill. I tried to run 2 min/walk 30 sec, but I found the 30 sec break too short by the time the tread actually slowed down, so I switched my timer to 2 min/40 sec. I think that got me a true break of about 33 sec. My overall pace ended up 11:41/mile.

This isn't "easy" for me. I can do it, but with a tomato face and my heart rate was in the red zone for about a third of it.

Ok - I'll just be stressing and second-guessing everything until August when I really get into a training plan!:P🤯 Happy to hear any thoughts you have.
They’ll have pacers of some sort and likely with the same style of pacing. Very possible they’re from JG.

Do you think we will have JG Pacers in the Disneyland Half?

I heard directly from the head of the JG training program, as of right now, they don't have a contract to provide pacers for DL, but they are optimistic that they will be pacing for the race.

I'm noticing that the Princess Pacers all take 30 sec walk breaks with their run time ranging from 4 min to 15 sec.

Jeff Galloway recommends no more than a 30 second walk break. He has found that anything longer than 30 seconds and your walking pace tends to slow as the distances go up. (I know that I definitely found this to be true) If you can't recover in 30 seconds, you might want to consider decreasing your run time until you can. I know that I can actually go faster by running less.

With the Galloway method, it's all about the pace. Different people may use different ratios to get to that pace. The JG pacers use the most common ratios for the specific pace.

My parents live in Glendale, so I use that airport to visit them. Like John Wayne and Long Beach, it’s quick and easy to get in/out of because of its size. It is a drive from Disneyland (anywhere from 45 mins to 2+ Hrs depending on traffic), but it does have a Metrolink stop (if you want to skip having a rental car, you can take the train down to Anaheim, and then catch the Art Shuttle or a taxi to your hotel).
Second this. I make this drive a lot. It’s a great airport because it’s small and security/ check-in/baggage claim are a breeze. But the trek to/from Disneyland will vary greatly depending on time and day. If I’m driving back to Burbank late after parks close, it’s an easy 45 minutes. Heading south to Disneyland between 3-5 pm on a weeknight can easily take 2-2.5 hours.

Does anyone know when they will be releasing online booking for on-site hotels? Debating staying on-site (especially at Disneyland) since I will have a 5-month-old with me, and I doubt that we will be going into the parks on this trip (pretty sure that the lil bub will be plenty entertained just walking around DTD, and by not going into the parks, I can redirect that money to a hotel).

Does anyone know when they will be releasing online booking for on-site hotels? Debating staying on-site (especially at Disneyland) since I will have a 5-month-old with me, and I doubt that we will be going into the parks on this trip (pretty sure that the lil bub will be plenty entertained just walking around DTD, and by not going into the parks, I can redirect that money to a hotel).
You can call now to book, but online booking usually releases in June 2023 for 2024.

Does anyone know if they open the esplanade between Harbour and the parks and downtown Disney, so runners can walk directly through for the race start?
Just adding on to what was said elsewhere. More then likely the esplanade will be open. And will have a better idea once we get closer to race day. Much closer. Because in the past some of the places around DTD (Starbucks, Auntie Annes, etc.) opened up early to serve runners before the race.

Of course no guarantee it will happen again. But I wouldn't be surprised.

Just adding on to what was said elsewhere. More then likely the esplanade will be open. And will have a better idea once we get closer to race day. Much closer. Because in the past some of the places around DTD (Starbucks, Auntie Annes, etc.) opened up early to serve runners before the race.

Of course no guarantee it will happen again. But I wouldn't be surprised.

Wetzel's Pretzels, not Auntie Anne's 👀. There is a difference! The latter is gross to me 😂

Wetzel's Pretzels, not Auntie Anne's 👀. There is a difference! The latter is gross to me 😂
Whoops. Didn't sleep well last night and my brain apparently can't keep track of what pretzel shop is which. Honestly I get it so rarely I can't seem to keep track of what is what obviously.

Whoops. Didn't sleep well last night and my brain apparently can't keep track of what pretzel shop is which. Honestly I get it so rarely I can't seem to keep track of what is what obviously.

Totally get it! If one doesn't eat at them, then not on many people's radar.

Just wanted to note which one it actually is since they are very different with their recipes.

Second this. I make this drive a lot. It’s a great airport because it’s small and security/ check-in/baggage claim are a breeze. But the trek to/from Disneyland will vary greatly depending on time and day. If I’m driving back to Burbank late after parks close, it’s an easy 45 minutes. Heading south to Disneyland between 3-5 pm on a weeknight can easily take 2-2.5 hours.
Thanks for this! I'm landing at 8pm on Friday night, so hopefully it won't be horrible. I'm flying home from ONT so there's that at least.

FYI, I called last night out of curiosity to get a sense of prices. Disneyland hotel standard view was $490/night not including taxes and fees, Grand Californian fees standard view was $690/night not including taxes and feea.

Ohh the new rooms look so nice. I do not have any dvc points for this run... but I will check out cash price.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/vi...23Q2wo0216230016A#drawer-card-drawerDuoStudio
I think it’s safe to assume they’ll be more the GC. I can’t bring myself to pay for GC so I guess that means I’m out on this one, too. But Disney math tells me maybe the needle moves a bit and I find a way to justify GC and now this new one it’s the one I’ll never pay for 🙃

I'm really enjoying seeing on Facebook groups everyone participating in Princess Weekend. To join in-spirit I've done yoga, a 5k run, and ..... my DD used a Disney Parks cookbook to create The Grey Stuff at home! 🥰

I think we have at least some people from this thread also running this weekend; I hope you're having so much fun!🥳

10.5 months and it'll be our turn to race!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter