Disneyland Half Marathon 2024

WAFDL: The first Disney park I went to was Disneyland, and have been to both parks several times.

Disneyland Resort is much (much much) more condensed than WDW. Disneyland and DCA are across the plaza from each other. No buses necessary.

My family went to DL when I was a kid, then went to WDW for years before we all traveled out there when I was 24 so my parents could run in the Labor Day half marathon. There is quite a difference. I would start the first day at Disneyland, maybe even a couple of days. If you're there for race weekend, you might want to spread out the time in each park to save your legs a bit. There are many maps online and you can get a feel for the layout and how it's different from Magic Kingdom.

WafDL: You can see in my signature I've been to WDW 21 times and DLR 6 times, but the frequency to either has slowed a bit post-pandemic. I've never used Genie+ or Lightening Lanes at either resort so that will be new for us. We bought 5 day Park Hoppers with Genie+ and Photopass.
Park Hopping starts at 11am.

The popcorn tastes different at DLR from WDW. Must be a different supplier on each coast. DH only eats WDW popcorn.

In DLR the cast members will NOT cut your candy apple for you. You may be familiar with the CM's using one of those circle apple cutters after you buy your chocolate candy apple in WDW.....well that doesn't happen in DLR; they give you a plastic knife to do it yourself! Good luck! It's a mess, but still worth it.
You can get chocolate candy apples in DLR next to the ice cream place on the left side of Main Street, in the Winnie the Pooh gift shoppe in Critter Country (behind Splash Mountain) or in DCA in the little shoppe attached forward of the Starbucks (on the right side of Buena Vista Street).......Can you guess what my post half-marathon snack is going to be?!? Who am I kidding? That will probably be my pre-run carb load meal too! LOL

Last edited:
Thank you! There's a reason it's against forum policy. (In other forums with active moderators, those posts would just be deleted as off topic.) And it's so very easy to start (and follow, if you're interested) a SAFD thread. By volume, most posts in the MW threads are not about MW at all, making it a pain to follow.

For the love of God, please don't start another useless SAFD! I've also had to stop looking at the Marathon Weekend thread even when I'm registered for MW because of the insane volume of non MW things because of that stupid SAFD that for some reason people don't want to move to a dedicated SAFD thread.

That being said, a weekly thread in here based on Disneyland stuff specifically to get WDW folks up to speed on DL sounds like a good idea and would be relevant.

For the love of God, please don't start another useless SAFD! I've also had to stop looking at the Marathon Weekend thread even when I'm registered for MW because of the insane volume of non MW things because of that stupid SAFD that for some reason people don't want to move to a dedicated SAFD thread.
Tell us how you really feel...

What would you do?

I got registered for the DL half on registration day. I was looking for Dumbo, but got shut out. I talked to a charity today and they don't have any Dumbo bibs (they literally got 5 of them total), but have a bunch of 10K bibs.

The priority for the trip is to experience Disneyland with running being an excuse to make the trip. My friend is doing her first half that weekend and isn't interested in doing the 10K.

Do I 1) be happy with "just" the half, 2) grab the 10K from the charity and hope that a Dumbo bib becomes available (knowing that is extremely unlikely), or 3) hope that I am lucky to grab a Dumbo bib on a random runDisney opening?

Decisions, decisions, decisions...
My suggestion would be to grab the 10k bib while available from the charity. If they keep the courses similar to what they've had in the past, the DL 10k course is by FAR the best course of any of their races. It has the highest proportion of in-park time of any of the races. If I had to pick just one course to run at DL, it would be the 10k.

That being said, a weekly thread in here based on Disneyland stuff specifically to get WDW folks up to speed on DL sounds like a good idea and would be relevant.
Don’t worry, it’s not SAFD. It’s WAFDL. Totally different things. :thumbsup2

I'm really scratching my head that some people prefer a dead thread with months between posts to an active, engaged thread with runners discussing the event, DL and running topics to stay involved and build a sense of community and excitement for the races.

Seriously, if all you want are relevant updates to the specifics of the race weekend, just follow RunDisney on Twitter, Insta or Facebook to get the news directly when it's released rather than waiting for it to show up here secondhand.

WAFDL: Off the top of my head, I enjoy the ride experience more at Disneyland. There are fewer rides available for Genie +, so you may have more options with a less than 90 + minute posted wait time. There are unique rides like Alice in Wonderland, Casey Jr., Indiana Jones, Matterhorn and canoes, plus longer versions of Pirates and It's a Small World.

What I typically do is hit the park at rope drop and hit the Fantasyland rides first, usually in this order: Peter Pan, Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland, Mr Toad, Matterhorn, Snow White, Pinocchio and Storybook Land, and can usually get all of those in within the first hour.

The dining options are more plentiful and in my opinion better at WDW. WDW is also more immersive, where if you're staying on Disney property, you never see the outside world. At Disneyland, there are only three Disney resorts and plenty of outside hotels in all varieties of condition on Harbor and Katella. I've never really cared about it, but have some friends who think it detracts from the Disney magic. It also gives you dining options at a lower cost than the parks. And also no Disney transportation except from the Disney lots. If you're staying at a nearby hotel, it's an easy walk and there's a trolley that runs past hotels further away. Which also means no need for 3 AM buses on race day!

I'd suggest taking some time to look around the resorts, especially Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian. If you're looking for other things to do in the area, besides the beach, which may or may not be ideal in January, Knott's Berry Farm is 6 miles away. And if you have the chance, catch a movie at the El Capitan Theater in Hollywood. Disney refurbished it to look like a classic Hollywood movie palace when Eisner was CEO, and they've since bought the theater. So they only show Disney films, either new releases or classic films when they don't have a new release. They have an organist before the movie and it's a great experience.

Last edited:
Doing the 1/2 and C2C non MW route

WAFDL
Last time I was in DL was 33 years ago so…I’m really like a virgin again. I know nothing about DL but I’m very much a MCU fan and am looking forward to that. That and I’m hoping that I can get to the beach to see the pacific again.

I don’t understand why people don’t scroll if they’re not interested in a post(s). No one is forcing you to read/participate in a thread if you don’t want to. I find the ”for Disney” questions keep things interesting and help me focus on the end result of training-especially when that gets monotonous and when it gets closer because they help build excitement for the result of that training.

The dining options are more plentiful and in my opinion better at WDW. WDW is also more immersive, where if you're staying on Disney property, you never see the outside world.
Look I'll give you table service for food. But we have the better QS. I can at least eat QS at DL. Outside of like maybe two places I can't at WDW because every place is fast food that doesn't sit well at the restaraunts. And nothing quiet beats Bengal Barbeque.

WAFDL: Kinda sorta answered part of it. What we lack in number for the TS I'll stand by we have the better QS. Bengal's my favorite. But far from the only option. Not entirely sure what some of the places will look like after the San Fransokyo retheme of Pacific Wharf. But it won't be changing that much from what's been heard so far. So should have some good options

The person running the MW2024 thread has spoken! :) So let's just try it, and see where this goes.

WAFDL (waffle!)

I've been to WDW 9 times total, including 8 in the 5 years. So I think I know how to get around there, and know where most things are. But the closest I've ever been to DL is Oakland. And that's like saying the closest someone has been to WDW is Atlanta (read: not close). So this would be basically two questions, pick one, depending on your situation:

1) For the people who have been to both DL and WDW: what should WDW vets who are DL newbies be looking out for? What can we do differently than someone going to any Disney park for the first time?

2) For the people who are new to DL: what activities interest you in and around Disneyland?

For me, I want to see how things are different between the rides at WDW and DL. I've heard Pirates in DL is better, Space Mountain's cars are much different. Galaxy's Edge is sitting just past Frontierland. What the heck is Critter Country? :) There's also all the different rides that DL and DCA have that don't exist in WDW. I also want to try a QS hamburger! I heard they're so much better in The Happiest Place on Earth than at The Most Magical Place on Earth.

And if the schedule works out, maybe see if there would be a Ducks game that I can sneak into. I almost snuck out a couple months ago to a Tampa Bay Lightning game, but I had an ADR that I couldn't shake off, and I wanted to do that more.
Please don't limit yourself to hamburgers I'm not joking about us having some really good nongeneric QS here.

DL's Space also has actual music not just different cars.

I'm all in for a version of ("TBD) AFD". I'm not sure what this thread is for if not for "communing" around all things related to DL and the races.

And given that when people respond to SAFD they always start their posts with "SAFD:", it's pretty easy to scroll past that content if you're not interested. EX: I scroll past the posts in the Running Thread re: monthly mileage totals. It's not a big deal.

Also, I have been using the following to help me plan my DL trip......I think some of the info may be out of date. 😁

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2421086134619990&type=3

(For those who don't bother clicking through links.....it's a copy of the 1973 DL Guide that we got when I went with my Mom and younger sister as part of a XC trip. It was a big deal for us to go there, since we didn't have much money. The guidebook is an historical gem. Take a look!)

WAFDL: to get back on topic:

DL has several rides that Magic Kingdom does not.

-Snow White dark ride
- Pinocchio dark ride
- Mr Toad's wild ride
-Alice in Wonderland dark ride
-the Matterhorn
-Storybook boat ride
-Roger Rabbit's Cartoon spin, another dark ride
-Great Moments with Mr Lincoln (instead of Hall of Presidents)
-Submarine ride themed to Finding Nemo
-Indiana Jones

Disneyland has Toon Town in the back near Small World, where Roger Rabbit and the new Mickey and Minnie Runaway Railway is. I think this flows to Star Wars land, but I haven't been to DL since 2016 and can't speak to that.

DCA has a mix of attractions that you can find at MK, EPCOT and Studios. It also has Cars Land, and if any adults or little ones love the Cars movies, you'll be in heaven here.

( I am ignoring what just happened)

WAFDL (waffle!)

1) For the people who have been to both DL and WDW: what should WDW vets who are DL newbies be looking out for? What can we do differently than someone going to any Disney park for the first time?

I have been to DL twice (technically 3 but I was tiny) but both were before covid. So not an expert but I have been there. WDW is what I grew up with but since I moved to Colorado DL is easier to travel too. I love how everything is soo close. I do not need hop tickets for WDW but I need hop tickets for Disneyland they are just so close and so easy to hop back and forth.

2) For the people who are new to DL: what activities interest you in and around Disneyland?
I am looking for good food options. I just feel there is less good sit down restaurants in Disneyland.

Last edited:
Please don't limit yourself to hamburgers I'm not joking about us having some really good nongeneric QS here.

Oh goodness no, in not going to just eat hamburgers, but the WDW burgers are rather gross. I heard the DL ones are a lot better!

Bengal BBQ has been on my radar since I first heard of it, so that's definitely a place I'm looking forward to going

WAFDL: to get back on topic:

DL has several rides that Magic Kingdom does not.

-Snow White dark ride
- Pinocchio dark ride
- Mr Toad's wild ride
-Alice in Wonderland dark ride
-the Matterhorn
-Storybook boat ride
-Roger Rabbit's Cartoon spin, another dark ride
-Great Moments with Mr Lincoln (instead of Hall of Presidents)
-Submarine ride themed to Finding Nemo
-Indiana Jones

Disneyland has Toon Town in the back near Small World, where Roger Rabbit and the new Mickey and Minnie Runaway Railway is. I think this flows to Star Wars land, but I haven't been to DL since 2016 and can't speak to that.

DCA has a mix of attractions that you can find at MK, EPCOT and Studios. It also has Cars Land, and if any adults or little ones love the Cars movies, you'll be in heaven here.
Galaxy Edge has entrances behind Big Thunder and near the Hungry Bear over in Critter Country. Neither of them connect to Toon Town.

Also Haunted Mansion may or may not be still open with the holiday overlay. This past year it ran until end of January. So it very possibly could be.

WAFDL: Having just gotten back from DL last Friday for my first ever trip, everything is fresh on my mind and easy to compare to WDW. Pirates is indeed longer at DL and more interesting with lots of more rooms of storyline. Space Mountain is way different at DL with side-by-side seating rather than single seats, and the star effects throughout with the soundtrack made it really fun! I rode it several times. The biggest difference overall was DCA though because it has a ton of rides and attractions that WDW just does not have. The Guardians ride at DCA is amazing. The Spiderman Web Slingers ride/game is so much fun. Cars Land is just beautiful, and Pixar Pier has some awesome unique rides (hello Incredicoaster). One thing I was not prepared for was how much of the DL queues are outside. Most of them were just winding metal rails and chains, which was unfortunate because it was pretty cold and drizzly for most of my trip. But, I will second what people have said about the entire DL resort being walkable. I stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and it was so easy to just walk through Downtown Disney to the parks and to be able to hop between the parks in mere minutes. I also walked back to my hotel room every day to rest a bit and recharge my phone, which was super easy and appreciated.

Also, whomever recommended Blue Bayou, do everything you can to try to get a reservation there if you can. The atmosphere with the Pirates boats floating by is incredible, and the food and drink was easily the best I had the entire trip. Just do it if you can. Oh, and eat the churros. All of them.

Galaxy Edge has entrances behind Big Thunder and near the Hungry Bear over in Critter Country. Neither of them connect to Toon Town.

Also Haunted Mansion may or may not be still open with the holiday overlay. This past year it ran until end of January. So it very possibly could be.
Oh I'd forgotten about the Haunted Mansion overlay.

I remembered too DCA has a Monster's Inc Dark ride, and it's very cute.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter