Disneyland in August?

suskra

Earning My Ears
Hi - I am currently trying to decide on a family vacation - it is between WDW, where we would repeat our extremely successful Jersey week trip, or a California trip, which would be towards the end of August when we would have a bit more time. If we did CA, we would probably start in San Francisco and drive down to San Diego, and would probably take 10 days or so.

I know that my kids don't go back to school until after Labor Day, but I know that others go back in August. Given that, can you share any thoughts about how crowded it will be in Disney and the other attractions that we might visit at that time of the year?

Thanks,
Sue

Late-August isn't too bad crowd wise as many S CA schools do go back in August. But, be warned, August is the hottest month of the year here in CA. Even at DL, temps can top out in the 100s.

We went last August mid month I believe. It wasn't the most crowded I've seen it but more than when we normally go. Not to mention HOT HOT HOT

Technically it isn't that crowded end of August (I went then last year and it wasn't bad) but with the 50th ending shortly after that you never know. Also as others have said it will be hot if you aren't used to hot (kinda like you stepped in a oven) you might not enjoy it. I don't mind the California hot compared to the Arizona hot it's alot cooler so it didn't bother me but if you aren't a fan of heat waves it might be an issue.

We were there July 14-24, 2005. The first weekend was actually pretty cool in the mornings and pleasantly warm during the day.......then it got HHHHOOOOTTTTT!!!! We bought the bottles with water and fans on them. One day I had to go back to the hotel room (DLH). I think I took the monorail both ways. I was so hot, my clothes were drenched. While in the room I took a cold shower to get my body temperature down. When I got back to the park in front of the Haunted Mansion, I was already sweating pretty bad again.

Another instance was when we sat down on the curb for the nighttime fireworks, the street was like fire almost and the sun had gone down. The daytime parade sidewalk was even worse.

I live in the humid state of Georgia. It was hot!

Note: This is not to discourage you because we look back on it and remember the good times we had....just be warned.

We also did Universal and Six Flags towards the end of that trip. We felt like we were closer to the sun at Universal on the mountaintop. By the time we got to Six Flags, I wore a white t-shirt and swim trunks. By that time we would hit water rides and get drenched and cooled off. That was a good day.

Baloo2003 said:
We were there July 14-24, 2005. The first weekend was actually pretty cool in the mornings and pleasantly warm during the day.......then it got HHHHOOOOTTTTT!!!! We bought the bottles with water and fans on them. One day I had to go back to the hotel room (DLH). I think I took the monorail both ways. I was so hot, my clothes were drenched. While in the room I took a cold shower to get my body temperature down. When I got back to the park in front of the Haunted Mansion, I was already sweating pretty bad again.

Another instance was when we sat down on the curb for the nighttime fireworks, the street was like fire almost and the sun had gone down. The daytime parade sidewalk was even worse.

I live in the humid state of Georgia. It was hot!
I am surprised someone from Georgia would feel so hot! :rotfl: It must have really been hot - 100's? :sunny: I love dry heat, but am not used to any humidity, which I imagine we will have. One thing we have done at the parks in the heat is to space out or sit-down, inside attractions, and our lunch, etc. to take breaks from the sun. This time, we will have our DGS, 18mo with us, so we will be taking him back to the hotel for a swim and a nap in the afternoons.

We went on my birthday, August 27, and nearly passed out from the heat. Mom had to find refuge on a park bench in Toon Town while my sister and I went off to look in the Gag Factory. It was a very fun day, despite the heat and crowds because we made sure of it. My sister and I both wore our golden ears, took many pictures (a great one with me and Mickey! Joy!), Goofy wished me a Happy Birthday on the phone in City Hall, we all ate at the Blue Bayou for lunch, and we did get on a good number of rides. I also saw the Electrical Parade in DCA, something I had been wanting to see for a long time. It was a nice birthday, I should say, but getting back to the thread, August in VERY hot. On top of crowds, it's not a good time to go. I probably won't again this year.

I am surprised someone from Georgia would feel so hot! :rotfl: It must have really been hot - 100's? :sunny: I love dry heat, but am not used to any humidity, which I imagine we will have. One thing we have done at the parks in the heat is to space out or sit-down, inside attractions, and our lunch, etc. to take breaks from the sun. This time, we will have our DGS, 18mo with us, so we will be taking him back to the hotel for a swim and a nap in the afternoons.

I was surprised too. It reached 100 - 105 degress during those days. On opening day in 1955, they experienced low 100's also. I tried to write it off as part of the 50th expereince. At least men didn't have to wear suits and women wear heels that got stuck in the asphalt 50 years later.

We knew it could be hot being there on July 17th, but we didn't care. We were in the parks all day each day and would do it all over again if given the chance for the 50th anniversary!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter