DisneyLand Rocks! A Trip Report - Day 1

Captain Bram

Earning My Ears
Hi Everybody!

Back from the DLR after 7 days. I kept very good notes of our experience, despite my DW's repeated questioning: "Why are you writing all that down?" So maybe I can offer a review with a slightly unique spin...

Well here are the cast of characters on this trip:

Me, devoted husband/daddy/airline pilot, 36, laid-back, goofy & giddy at times, loves to have fun ALL THE TIME, needs plenty of surprises to make travelling the joy it should be, likes to interact with the "natives" when travelling, will eat virtually any food placed in front of me (and have), doesn't relax nearly enough but makes up for it eventually...

DW, incredible wife/mommy/Kindergarten teacher, 36, little more task-oriented on vacays than me but knows when to chill when necessary, doesn't get to fly with hubby in the cabin very often as I'm usually upfront when we do fly together, STILL finds it amazing we fly for free, wanted to stay at a Disney property this trip but overruled by DH as we recently bought a new house and "budget" was the level of spending for this trip (sorry dear!), the best spouse/soul partner/travel buddy I could ever ask for...

DD1, 8 1/2, very much into having great fun, has travelled much in her young years, loves air travel/aircraft as much as Dad, is "Daddy's Little Girl" most of the time, bright, verbal, athletic (can be a handful on quieter vacays but not this one), knows where most ammenities are in commercial aircraft because she listens to Dad far too much, also likes to talk with anyone especially "the locals" and flight attendants, explores hotels and destinations with the inquisitiveness of a travel reporter...

DD2, 4 1/2, relaxed all the time, has travelled a huge amount for a child her age, remembers details from past trips that would blow your mind, is also "Daddy's Little Girl" most of the time, bright & verbal are understatements, loves to experience aircraft pottys and galleys on every flight, window seats are her faves, "...all hotels must have big pools..." she says (more to come about this need...), talks with the lucidity of a 12 year old, prefers to be carried but will sit in a stroller at the parks...

DAY 1
Left our home city in the southeast on the 19th of June and flew to Chicago that evening as we were listed to fly on the first flight to LAX on the 20th (when you fly non-revenue a.k.a. "for free" you get listed for space available standby seating - no reservations can be made as those are for paying customers most of the time). Had a very nice and relatively short flight; departed early and arrived in Midway early. Very personable inflight crew (flight attendants) kept our DDs entertained all through the flight!! Brand new 737-800 series aircraft, which is always a joy to fly! Short take-off roll and fast climb to cruise altitude make this aircraft perform like a fighter jet. I love the airline I work for!!

Stayed overnight at the Holiday Inn Select at Midway Airport. Brand new (about a year old) very beautiful full-service hotel with a great pool and courtyard (with dozens of Chinese lanterns overhead and interesting places to relax and to explore). The girls were in awe that Daddy had "found" such a hotel (actually, our airline's crew hotel in Chicago...my airline knows good taste when they see it...). Our room on the 4th floor was phenominally comfortable and the room service was great! Huge marble bath, all the amenities, and soothing colors & furnishings. Pizza & chicken wings were a tasty end of the day as we did not have dinner due to the flight time. Slept like a rock on soft but supportive beds with real down pillows! Blankets, which are notoriously not washed as frequently as bed sheets, were encased in fresh, clean linens - a very thoughtful touch. Awoke at 3:30am for a 4:30am show-time at the airport. Midway is very busy in the AM so that full two-hour arrival time (for domestic flights, three-hours for internationals) is absolutely needed to get checked-in and get cleared through security. For this trip we did not check luggage. Each of us had one personal item (waist pack, purse, or small backpack) and one carryon item (we all have our own rollaboard luggage, and yes, we packed everything in 21" suitcases for a 9-day trip!).

More to come...

Capt. Bram-
Surely you jest that you each packed enough for a nine day vaca in a carry on suitcase. I need packing advice from you, mister! Can't wait for the next installment:D

Captain Bram,

Great start!!!! I think it's really great that you love what you do so much. On a different note, since you do it for a living, what advice would you give to a nervous flyer? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks!

Melissa

Oh yes, please give your advice as I hate (**HATE**) flying with mucho passion. I am totally terrified by all those too-real movies of plane crashes.....eek!

By the way, I like your trip report, too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter