Disney's CONTEMPORARY RESORT Information & Questions

If you're walking at a fairly good clip, it's about a 6 or 7 minute walk from the gates of the MK to the lobby of CR. I was just there with a toddler, though, and one thing I would caution is not to underestimate what a pain it is to take all your stuff out of your stroller, fold it, climb on to a bus or van with the stroller, the stuff, and your kid, and then unfold/repack/buckle the kid back in when you get to where you're going. And buses (except DME) don't have a designated place to put folded strollers, so I found myself awkwardly holding stroller and "stuff" while my husband wrangled our kid. For that reason, I vastly preferred either monorail or walking.

With that lesson learned, our next trip will be a split stay, AK for our AK day(s) and CR for Epcot and MK, since we can monorail/walk.

If you're walking at a fairly good clip, it's about a 6 or 7 minute walk from the gates of the MK to the lobby of CR. I was just there with a toddler, though, and one thing I would caution is not to underestimate what a pain it is to take all your stuff out of your stroller, fold it, climb on to a bus or van with the stroller, the stuff, and your kid, and then unfold/repack/buckle the kid back in when you get to where you're going. And buses (except DME) don't have a designated place to put folded strollers, so I found myself awkwardly holding stroller and "stuff" while my husband wrangled our kid. For that reason, I vastly preferred either monorail or walking.

With that lesson learned, our next trip will be a split stay, AK for our AK day(s) and CR for Epcot and MK, since we can monorail/walk.
We like split stays because we like to walk and have that freedom of not depending on transportation. BLT for MK and BW or BC for Epcot and DHS. AK we'll have to deal with the bus but I bet we'll end up using a taxi!

We are doing a split stay (a triple split stay actually) on our upcoming trip. CR for 4 nights, 6 nights at AKL and 9 nights BC. My son's favourite resort is AKL so hence choosing there again and I love BC (or YC), the location to the large number of restaurants within EPCOT, HS and the resorts in the area and we like to eat. This trip I really wanted to try a MK area resort as we always tend to stay in the same areas. We love the idea of the monorail going through the hotel, so have chosen CR with a theme park view.

We know room requests we like at the other resorts (BC/YC, balcony, close to reception), AKL (low floor, and a certain savannah and trail). But for CR I really have no idea. I don't know the resort or area well at all. We haven't added any requests as yet to the CR reservation as I am not sure what, if anything, to request. I was going to ask for a high floor? Thought that may be good for the view, but the view may be good from any floor? Does anyone have any advise on room requests for a theme park view? Would love some advise, some suggestions, to hear what you like or don't like about certain TPV locations.

Super excited about our first trip to CR.

Here's a link to the CL thread where I started posting, use whatever you need! Tower Club - April 2017

If I remember correctly, you didn't enjoy your Tower Club experience that much? Granted we only had two nights but we really enjoyed our brief time there. What a totally different room/CL experience than anywhere else.

Thank you for the link, @GADisneyDad14:)

You had more nights than I did! I asked to be moved the evening I arrived. It is a very small floor and lounge and a very large group was there and it was chaotic, loud and crowded. Unfortunately, guests were treating the lounge as their own personal extension of their room and the behavior wasn't stellar. I won't go into all the details again, but I figured it was only going to get worse and louder as the night went on, so I cut my losses and asked to be moved to a non-CL floor.

Obviously, another stay might have yielded an entirely different experience. But, the room was gorgeous as was the balcony. But, I did have a connecting door, which I didn't want, and that transmitted a lot of noise from the next room. I've had other Tower rooms with a connecting door and never heard anything, but this particular September evening, the Tower Club floor was in full party mode.

We are doing a split stay (a triple split stay actually) on our upcoming trip. CR for 4 nights, 6 nights at AKL and 9 nights BC. My son's favourite resort is AKL so hence choosing there again and I love BC (or YC), the location to the large number of restaurants within EPCOT, HS and the resorts in the area and we like to eat. This trip I really wanted to try a MK area resort as we always tend to stay in the same areas. We love the idea of the monorail going through the hotel, so have chosen CR with a theme park view.

We know room requests we like at the other resorts (BC/YC, balcony, close to reception), AKL (low floor, and a certain savannah and trail). But for CR I really have no idea. I don't know the resort or area well at all. We haven't added any requests as yet to the CR reservation as I am not sure what, if anything, to request. I was going to ask for a high floor? Thought that may be good for the view, but the view may be good from any floor? Does anyone have any advise on room requests for a theme park view? Would love some advise, some suggestions, to hear what you like or don't like about certain TPV locations.

Super excited about our first trip to CR.

Congratulations on booking! The most popular Tower TPV request is an odd numbered room. In those rooms, the beds face toward the MK/castle.

How is the BLT pool bathroom? Does it have showers and a changing area? We will be there early and want to swim before and head to an early dinner before our room will be ready.

We booked our first trip ever yesterday and plan on staying in the CR. My question is (and I apologize if this has been discussed ad nauseam) but when we booked I opted for the Bay Lake View as I was afraid of the description on the TPV which has "Parking Areas". I really do not want to get to the resort and have a view of a parking lot! Is this a reasonable concern or is the view mostly of the theme parks? Thank you for any help you can share as my wife and I want our children (7 and 5) to have a very memorable trip!

I have a question about the poolside Cabanas. Can you call and book them before your stay or do you have to wait until you get there? If you can book beforehand..how long beforehand??

We booked our first trip ever yesterday and plan on staying in the CR. My question is (and I apologize if this has been discussed ad nauseam) but when we booked I opted for the Bay Lake View as I was afraid of the description on the TPV which has "Parking Areas". I really do not want to get to the resort and have a view of a parking lot! Is this a reasonable concern or is the view mostly of the theme parks? Thank you for any help you can share as my wife and I want our children (7 and 5) to have a very memorable trip!

No need to apologize!

I would recommend checking out aerial pics of CR from something like Google Maps. With the map oriented north, all Bay Lake View rooms are on the east (or right) side of the building. All Theme Park View rooms are on the west (or left) side of the building.

Personally I think both views are great in different ways, although I give the slight edge to the Bay Lake side for the serenity / peacefulness of the view. On the other hand, nothing beats being able to see the MK from a TPV room and feel the buzz of the 7 Seas Lagoon.

A few pics may help:

Here's the view from a TPV room. This is from a higher floor, but all TPV rooms are generally going to be similar. Some people don't like the fact that you have the parking lot in the foreground. To me, it looks worse in the photo than it feels in real life. When I see this view, my eyes are all on the MK!
IMG_2376.JPG

View from same room looking straight....
IMG_2942.JPG

With an odd numbered TPV room, you can be in bed and see the MK...
IMG_2207.jpg

TPV rooms have the benefit of being able to watch MK fireworks from your balcony.... there is a TV station that plays the music.
IMG_2542.JPG

On the other hand, things on the Bay Lake side are very peacefull, in a really good way.
7.JPG

Looking left....
3.JPG

Looking right...(that is Epcot and HS in that distance)
5.JPG

The whole perspective....
8.JPG

And a wonderful view of the nightly Electrical Water Pageant (you can't see this from the TPV side)...
9.JPG

Last edited:
I have a question about the poolside Cabanas. Can you call and book them before your stay or do you have to wait until you get there? If you can book beforehand..how long beforehand??

You can book before hand. I would actually recommend it, best not to wait. Call 407-WDW-PLAY. I think you can reserve relatively far in advance, even before the 180 day mark (although not certain about that).

No need to apologize!

I would recommend checking out aerial pics of CR from something like Google Maps. With the map oriented north, all Bay Lake View rooms are on the east (or right) side of the building. All Theme Park View rooms are on the west (or left) side of the building.

Personally I think both views are great in different ways, although I give the slite edge to the Bay Lake side for the serenity / peacefulness of the view. On the other hand, nothing beats being able to see the MK from a TPV room and feel the buzz of the 7 Seas Lagoon.

A few pics may help:

Here's the view from a TPV room. This is from a higher floor, but all TPV rooms are generally going to be similar. Some people don't like the fact that you have the parking lot in the foreground. To me, it looks worse in the photo than it feels in real life. When I see this view, my eyes are all on the MK!
View attachment 247771

View from same room looking straight....
View attachment 247773

With an odd numbered TPV room, you can be in bed and see the MK...
View attachment 247775

TPV rooms have the benefit of being able to watch MK fireworks from your balcony.... there is a TV station that plays the music.
View attachment 247776

On the other hand, things on the Bay Lake side are very peacefull, in a really good way.
View attachment 247777

Looking left....
View attachment 247779

Looking right...(that is Epcot and HS in that distance)
View attachment 247780

The whole perspective....
View attachment 247781

And a wonderful view of the nightly Electrical Water Pageant (you can't see this from the TPV side)...
View attachment 247782

Thank you for your help! It is greatly appreciated and I think I will be changing our reservation for the TPV. I agree that the serenity of Bay Lake would be nice, but this is our first trip to WDW and might as well collect as many views of the MK as possible.

Thanks again for the help and the pics!

Thank you for your help! It is greatly appreciated and I think I will be changing our reservation for the TPV. I agree that the serenity of Bay Lake would be nice, but this is our first trip to WDW and might as well collect as many views of the MK as possible.

Thanks again for the help and the pics!

Yeah, to me it's a coin flip either way, but with a 5 and 7 year old you really can't beat the MK view. Especially with the fireworks view at night if you're trying to keep some semblance of a normal bedtime!

If you do switch to a TPV view, I would recomend adding a room request for a high/upper floor, on the northwest side of the building (or away from Chef Mickey's), or something along those lines. I prefer to not be right over Chef Mickey's for noise (although it's really not that bad) plus being on the Northwest side gets you a touch closer to the MK.

Have fun!

We will be staying at CR next year for our 20th anniversary - no kids! We currently have a garden view room. Any advice on requests for a GV room? We'll be requesting a king size bed vs queens, but other than that, I have no idea what to ask for. Will we be able to see any fireworks from a GV room? Or should we try for a better view of the electric parade?

We will be staying at CR next year for our 20th anniversary - no kids! We currently have a garden view room. Any advice on requests for a GV room? We'll be requesting a king size bed vs queens, but other than that, I have no idea what to ask for. Will we be able to see any fireworks from a GV room? Or should we try for a better view of the electric parade?

You won't be able to see much fireworks from the Garden Wing but it's a short walk to the observation deck on the 4th floor of the tower. Or you could grab some drinks or appetizers at California Grill and see them from up there. The electric parade might be viewable from a GV room but it would be more of a straight on view from over by the pool or the main building. If a king bed is important to you then I'd leave that as your only request and see the fireworks and electric parade with just a short walk.

We arrived home from our stay at the Contemporary Resort on August 1st.

Overall, it was a wonderful experience...quite a huge step up from All Star Music...but not all was ideal.

Pros:

We had no issues with the elevators at all. We were able to get to the food, shops, monorail, or pool quickly and easily via the elevator. It was wonderful to stay in the tower and to not have to walk far to get where we wanted to be.

California Grill: The food was delicious. DD and I shared the Oak fired beef and DH had the Bison. Hands down, watching the fireworks from CG's balcony was worth every penny we spent to eat there. We got to see Hollywood's fireworks right before MK's started! Even though the waitstaff was snooty and rude, I would still eat there in order to view the fireworks from the balcony.

Our room was on the 11th floor, and we were not bothered by any noise. The Bay Lake view was breathtaking. We really enjoyed the Electrical Water Pageant...charming.

The room was spacious and clean. The beds were extremely comfortable...(this statement comes from someone who sleeps on a tempurpedic every night at home.)

The Contempo Café offered many excellent menu choices, and we had no problem finding a seat.

Cons:

The monorail was a sh*t show. It was down the day we had an ADR at Cinderella's Castle. We were forced to walk and arrived a huge sweaty mess at the castle. We were dressed up and wanted to look our best for photos...I needed another shower upon arrival. :(

We boarded a broken down monorail and had to walk back to CR after several miles of walking in MK.

We couldn't trust the monorail at all, and we constantly had to stress out about how we were getting around.

I paid beaucoup bucks to stay at a monorail resort for it to be an epic fail.

California Grill: Waitress was pissed that DD and I shared our meal and got fresh with me. She behaved like we were being cheap...even though I explained that my appetite is small after dieting for a year. Even though they knew it was our 22nd anniversary and we requested a table where we could view the fireworks, we were put in a small back room with the Bay Lake view...the same one I looked at all week from our room. :(

Our chambermaid interrupted our afternoon break daily in spite of being told that we nap in the afternoon. We were forced to go without housekeeping a few times. When we called the front desk for toilet paper, they never sent any up. We went without toilet paper for 24 hours and had to use the tissue box.

Our chambermaid never made the towel characters...not even on the day of our arrival. DD was very disappointed because she was accustomed to this on every other WDW vacation.

There were no yellow pillows with Mickey's face and no replacement item or alternative to them. The room was definitely lacking in any sign that we were in a WDW resort except for the Mickey embossed on the shower curtain. This lack of a Disney theme really bothered her.

Both pools were too shallow. I had to float in the middle of the "quiet" circular pool to get any depth. There were no lifeguards at the "quiet" pool, so people ignored all of the posted rules. They ate cheeseburgers sitting in the pool; kids played catch with tennis balls over our heads; complete mayhem went on that should have been going on at the main pool. We only swam 3 times as a result. This was a BIG disappointment after having an amazing experience at Stormalong Bay at BC 4 years ago.

Next trip to WDW:

We will not be returning to the Contemporary Resort. With all of its advantages and amenities, the lack of Disney theming and lackluster pools will keep us from returning.
After reading this post, I'm very concerned about the monorail reliability. On our last trip two years ago, we had similar monorail issues. Have they been repaired? Are they more reliable now? The last thing I want to do after walking for miles in a theme park is to have to walk back to my resort as well.

Walking back to the resort from MK isn't bad at all, in fact, in many cases its quicker due to the excessive wait and lines for the monorail which tends to get over crowded with people going to the TTC.

We bit the bullet and booked a late October stay at Contemporary. The last time we stayed here was a splurge with a theme park view room. This year there's no discounts :sad::sad::sad::sad: so we're in a garden wing room.

Can someone help me feel okay with that? I'm worried that it won't be nice and the walk from the monorail after a long day touring will s.ck.

Failing that, any hope of a discount coming out? Historic pages show there wasn't one in 2016, but there was in 2015....

We bit the bullet and booked a late October stay at Contemporary. The last time we stayed here was a splurge with a theme park view room. This year there's no discounts :sad::sad::sad::sad: so we're in a garden wing room.

Can someone help me feel okay with that? I'm worried that it won't be nice and the walk from the monorail after a long day touring will s.ck.

Failing that, any hope of a discount coming out? Historic pages show there wasn't one in 2016, but there was in 2015....
We stayed in the South Wing (that's what they called it when we stayed there) a long time ago. The very best part was not having to wait for an elevator to get to our room. We had a nice view of the pool and it was far enough away that it wasn't too noisy. When you get off the monorail, you just take the escalator down to the ground level and walk a few feet to the Wing building under a covered walkway. Very pleasant. If you are getting off a boat or a bus, it's even easier - no escalator.

As for discounts, they usually offer them when they are trying to fill up rooms. October doesn't need that any more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter