Disney's FORT WILDERNESS CABINS & CAMPGROUNDS Information & Questions

3 weeks from today and we will be in our cabin! We are home from school again today for another cold day. Temp is about -10 F, windchill is -30. Really hoping for 70s when we arrive.
I'm trying to get the kids to start getting stuff ready to pack. I need them to try on shorts and see if they need new ones! They are slow to get motivated. Very thankful there are laundry facilities at the Fort in case we only have a few pair of shorts.
My goal for the next week or so is to get out custom tshirts designed and made. I've got some cute ideas, just need my crafty friend to help me.
We started decorating our magic bands last night and they are looking great! The kids have had a lot of fun doing their own.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

3 weeks from today and we will be in our cabin! We are home from school again today for another cold day. Temp is about -10 F, windchill is -30. Really hoping for 70s when we arrive.
I'm trying to get the kids to start getting stuff ready to pack. I need them to try on shorts and see if they need new ones! They are slow to get motivated. Very thankful there are laundry facilities at the Fort in case we only have a few pair of shorts.
My goal for the next week or so is to get out custom tshirts designed and made. I've got some cute ideas, just need my crafty friend to help me.
We started decorating our magic bands last night and they are looking great! The kids have had a lot of fun doing their own.

I hear ya on the cold front. We're on day 3 in a row of snow days. I'm at work. We could work from home, but I get more done here. Hopefully they'll be back at school tomorrow. We do laundry while we're away as well. That way we don't have to pack as much. I don't know if you drive or fly but we drive so we have to pack for 3 seasons basically.

Well 2 more "sleeps" and then we will be at FW!:cool1::cool1:

We live in Central Florida so we just have a short drive. I still need to pack and do the food shopping. I really need to get busy! The weather here has been crazy so I'm not sure what to pack.

My DS will turn 15 while we are there. Any suggestions on what to do for his birthday? I was thinking of running over to the MK and getting one of those Rice Crispie cakes. Has anyone ever ordered a cake for any special occasions?

I booked our upcoming (Oh my, I can FINALLY say that) trip in June of last year. I had, originally, booked us to stay at the WL. I always thought that the Cabins looked great, but we weren't sure if we wanted a full size bed. I know that sounds silly, but we want to be comfortable. After looking more (and more and more) we decided it wasn't a deal breaker. So, I priced it out and we are, not only, staying someplace bigger, but we saved over $400. I am so excited to stay at the Cabins. I am looking forward to coming back from the parks and being able to relax. It will be like a vacation from our vacation. We will check in on my 42nd birthday. We celebrated my 40th at the World, also. My hubby and I will also be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary. We are very excited for this trip. Our kids can't wait. Oh please September get here. I am getting tired of below zero temperatures.

We are here now staying at the FW cabins for the first time. They are wonderful and we have enjoyed the activities around the campground. Went to the campfire last night and then on to the marina/beach to watch the fireworks and stayed for the water light parade. Weather has been great, but today is supposed to be rainy and colder (52 for a high and dropping), but still warmer than home! Anyone have suggestions of things to do when it's rainy and cold-er and not a planned park day? We were planning to go to DTD, but that will be a little tricky too...we have a 4 y.o. and another 6 mos. Any suggestions??

For those of you getting ready to depart for the World.....

:woohoo: :yay: :dance3: :banana: :cheer2:

and what trip is complete without some pixiedust:

And would you believe this is day #2 for for no school in our area??!!! Not because of the snow but because of the freezing rain and ice!! Crazy! Not our usual winter in South Georgia at all. But hey...I'll take 2 days home :thumbsup2

Yeah, Wind chills are supposed to get pretty durn low. Monday night is supposed to be real temp of -15 with wind chill of -45. I can't imagine how cold it's supposed to be in points further north!!!
School is already closed for tomorrow. My 8th grader was bummed because she has an English report to work on and the teacher was going to give them the info they needed to get started last Friday (no school) so she emailed the teacher. Oh by the way my kids will be missing 8 days of school for this trip so DD wants to make sure she stays on top of everything.

But hey her topic that she chose and was accepted is ... The History of Magic Kingdom. So I consider the upcoming trip real "World" experience. :goodvibes

If it's 40 or even 20 in Disney, we'll be happy!!! But 60's would be nice.

Very cool topic for your DD (no pun intended ;)) She should be able to gain a wealth of knowledge. Have y'all watched the Magic Kingdom - Imagineering the Magic? It's super good...all about the building of the MK and Walt's life.

Hope y'all are staying warm! WDW is much warmer than here, and we're only 4 1/2 hours away. Bet y'all will have great weather.

I'm starting to hear the waffles calling my name.

:rotfl: Be on the lookout for those waffles....and if you'll put in a request for us about Mickey Waffles to-go...that would be great :teeth:

We want to see your t-shirts when they're all finished ::yes:: DH doesn't know it, yet, but we're going with t-shirts in June. (of course he'll know when he lurks around on this thread :upsidedow) How did you decorate the Magic Bands???? Pictures???:rolleyes1

Happy Packing and stay warm!!!!

Well 2 more "sleeps" and then we will be at FW!:cool1::cool1:

We live in Central Florida so we just have a short drive. I still need to pack and do the food shopping. I really need to get busy! The weather here has been crazy so I'm not sure what to pack.

My DS will turn 15 while we are there. Any suggestions on what to do for his birthday? I was thinking of running over to the MK and getting one of those Rice Crispie cakes. Has anyone ever ordered a cake for any special occasions?

:woohoo: Birthday at WDW!!!!! Exciting! We ordered my mom flowers a couple of years ago and they turned out great! She loved them....

And when on the cruise we ordered a cake/b-day celebration for DS12....was actually good! We saved the decorations and used them over....and over....and over again :laughing:

I've never tried the rice crispy cake, but it sounds fabulous! I think you can also have a cake delivered to your table while dining. Maybe bring some decorations with you and decorate the cabin??

Are you all packed, yet??? And you're right...the weather has been super crazy for us, too. Strange winter!

I booked our upcoming (Oh my, I can FINALLY say that) trip in June of last year. I had, originally, booked us to stay at the WL. I always thought that the Cabins looked great, but we weren't sure if we wanted a full size bed. I know that sounds silly, but we want to be comfortable.

:cheer2: for the Cabins!!!!! Doesn't sound silly at all about the bed!! I totally get that. If you aren't use to a double bed, it could be concerning. We're a queen bed couple but were fine.

After looking more (and more and more) we decided it wasn't a deal breaker. So, I priced it out and we are, not only, staying someplace bigger, but we saved over $400.

Saving is always a plus!!!!! :yay: And you're right...bigger!

I am so excited to stay at the Cabins. I am looking forward to coming back from the parks and being able to relax. It will be like a vacation from our vacation. We will check in on my 42nd birthday. We celebrated my 40th at the World, also. My hubby and I will also be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary. We are very excited for this trip. Our kids can't wait. Oh please September get here. I am getting tired of below zero temperatures.

Yep ::yes:: ....a resort within a resort! It is super relaxing and soooo much to do there. What a great way to celebrate your b-day AND anniversary!!!!

Just booked 7 nights in a cabin for Sept 6 - 13. We wanted something different than a traditional hotel room (and kids want to rent a golf cart). Thanks for all the insights on this board, I will for sure be asking more questions as we get closer.

We are here now staying at the FW cabins for the first time. They are wonderful and we have enjoyed the activities around the campground. Went to the campfire last night and then on to the marina/beach to watch the fireworks and stayed for the water light parade. Weather has been great, but today is supposed to be rainy and colder (52 for a high and dropping), but still warmer than home! Anyone have suggestions of things to do when it's rainy and cold-er and not a planned park day? We were planning to go to DTD, but that will be a little tricky too...we have a 4 y.o. and another 6 mos. Any suggestions??

:wave: Hi there! So glad your trip is going well and you're enjoying FW:thumbsup2 Crazy weather here, too, in South Georgia.

You can check the Meadow Trading post for DVD rentals. I'm not sure what they charge for renting a movie. We've never done it, but it use to be available. Not sure if you have a car or not, but you could always pick up some cookie dough and make cookies. My kids always like riding the monorail. A couple of years ago when it was flooding, we road the bus over to the MK and hopped on the monorail. We got off at each monorail resort and looked around, grabbed some sweet treats and made a day of it.

Here's a little pixiedust: to keep that rain away!! Let us know how your day pans out;)

Just booked 7 nights in a cabin for Sept 6 - 13. We wanted something different than a traditional hotel room (and kids want to rent a golf cart). Thanks for all the insights on this board, I will for sure be asking more questions as we get closer.

:yay::woohoo: for booking a cabin!!! As silly as it sounds, the golf cart is one of the highlights for our kids :upsidedow They absolutely love it! And it is super convenient to have one. There are a couple of families getting ready to leave for vacation, so they will be able to give us some very up-to-date info:thumbsup2

Thank you soooo much for starting this thread. Fort Wilderness is one of my favorite places in all of WDW. And the cabins are definitely my favorite place to stay so far..

Thank you soooo much for starting this thread. Fort Wilderness is one of my favorite places in all of WDW. And the cabins are definitely my favorite place to stay so far..

And you are very welcome ;) It is a wonderful resort, and so very different than all the rest. It's one of our favorites, too. What's your resort of choice on your upcoming trip?? We're on a quest to try all of them :upsidedow Needless to say we have quite a few to go before meeting our goal :laughing: I wanted to try BWI for our June trip, but I was out voted and WL & FW won out - which is totally fine!

Well we were going to stay at the BW villas in a studio until another friend decided she wanted to go so now we are going back to AoA for the convenience of the separate bedroom AND the extra bathroom. Foe the $$$ it is the best bang for your buck...

Well we were going to stay at the BW villas in a studio until another friend decided she wanted to go so now we are going back to AoA for the convenience of the separate bedroom AND the extra bathroom. Foe the $$$ it is the best bang for your buck...

Over Christmas, we did a very last minute weekend trip and tried to book 2 rooms at AoA....of course nothing :upsidedow The only Value we could get was ASMu. And it was fine, but so wanted to try AoA. Maybe next year ;) Hope y'all have a fabulous visit!

Just wanted to check-in one more time before we head out in the morning:thumbsup2

Thanks for the pics hstrickland! Great celebrations :wizard:

Looks like some icky rainy weather might stick around for a few days :( I hope the weather guy was wrong. Oh well, we will make the best of it.

I'm off to finish the packing :rolleyes1

Glad you are loving the cabins - I've not been yet, but heading in April!! With the rain, I know you said it wasn't a planned park day, but if it were me, I'd make it a park day! Rainy days are the BEST in the parks because everyone else is thinking what you're thinking, go to DTD, go to the movies etc... and so, the result being, your 4yo could walk on rides left and right. :banana: Just my two cents! (and, FYI, last I checked, you can add park days to your package as long as you still have a couple of days left in your stay. But they won't let you add a day, say, on your last day, at least not at the 4th and 5th etc day prices...)

Report back and let us know how you spent that rainy time, if you don't end up in the parks, I'd love to hear what you found to do. (And really, if you have a rainy day sandwiched between two park days, with two small kiddos, a cozy cabin day might be just what you all need/would enjoy!) So hard to go wrong at WDW!

Just wanted to check-in one more time before we head out in the morning:thumbsup2

Thanks for the pics hstrickland! Great celebrations :wizard:

Looks like some icky rainy weather might stick around for a few days :( I hope the weather guy was wrong. Oh well, we will make the best of it.

I'm off to finish the packing :rolleyes1

:cheer2:So excited for y'all!!!! :cheer2: How will you ever be able to sleep tonight??!! We'll be thinking about you as your family travels to the World! And if the weather isn't perfect, at least you'll be at Disney :teeth: If you get a chance while at FW, check in and let us know how things are going.

Safe travels!!! pixiedust:
Heather

Glad you are loving the cabins - I've not been yet, but heading in April!! With the rain, I know you said it wasn't a planned park day, but if it were me, I'd make it a park day! Rainy days are the BEST in the parks because everyone else is thinking what you're thinking, go to DTD, go to the movies etc... and so, the result being, your 4yo could walk on rides left and right. :banana: Just my two cents! (and, FYI, last I checked, you can add park days to your package as long as you still have a couple of days left in your stay. But they won't let you add a day, say, on your last day, at least not at the 4th and 5th etc day prices...)

Your two cents is spot-on! Why didn't I think of that??!! :laughing: Back in 2012 when we were at the AKL, it poured. Not like just a little rain...like huge torrential down pours!!! It was crazy bad! But we made the most of it and had a ball just hanging out at the resort.

:cheer2:So excited for y'all!!!! :cheer2: How will you ever be able to sleep tonight??!! We'll be thinking about you as your family travels to the World! And if the weather isn't perfect, at least you'll be at Disney :teeth: If you get a chance while at FW, check in and let us know how things are going.

Safe travels!!! pixiedust:
Heather

Your two cents is spot-on! Why didn't I think of that??!! :laughing: Back in 2012 when we were at the AKL, it poured. Not like just a little rain...like huge torrential down pours!!! It was crazy bad! But we made the most of it and had a ball just hanging out at the resort.

Yes, I have heard too that if you're in a park and it starts to rain or even storm, just stay put. Let everyone else leave! SEE -YA! A little rain never hurt me, but boy - LINES DO! lol :rotfl2:

In reality, it never rains when I go to Disney. So you guys that don't like rain, we'll be there 4/24-5/1, feel free to tag along in the sunshine. And no, you can't get that in writing, and, yes, it will probably rain every day of our trip now that I've said that.

Counting the days. Grumpy Husband is no longer grumpy! He is, in fact, "Looking forward to it." All you peeps that sent pixie dust- it has taken effect as I'm sure you "knew" it would. :thumbsup2 I am grateful!

Now I am just counting days, listening to disney podcasts and playing the Photo Below Me game in the photography board (big fun you should check it out if you haven't!) I can't forget I am still at home and have plenty of work to do. Trying to keep both feet on the ground - still 80 days out or so... sigh....

Yes, I have heard too that if you're in a park and it starts to rain or even storm, just stay put. Let everyone else leave! SEE -YA! A little rain never hurt me, but boy - LINES DO! lol :rotfl2:

:thumbsup2 Exactly! Take those ponchos and be prepared!!!

In reality, it never rains when I go to Disney. So you guys that don't like rain, we'll be there 4/24-5/1, feel free to tag along in the sunshine. And no, you can't get that in writing, and, yes, it will probably rain every day of our trip now that I've said that.

:rolleyes1 No rain, huh???? Can you say torrential downpour??!!! The rain follows us...

Counting the days. Grumpy Husband is no longer grumpy! He is, in fact, "Looking forward to it." All you peeps that sent pixie dust- it has taken effect as I'm sure you "knew" it would. :thumbsup2 I am grateful!

Told ya :snooty:

Now I am just counting days, listening to disney podcasts and playing the Photo Below Me game in the photography board (big fun you should check it out if you haven't!) I can't forget I am still at home and have plenty of work to do. Trying to keep both feet on the ground - still 80 days out or so... sigh....

Hard to do, isn't it??? Especially when the trip is creeping up! With all this cold weather I have been definitely Disney dreaming!!!! :upsidedow

Hey all. We leave tomorrow.

I really will ask about the waffles.

Forgot about Ponchos. Several Years ago I left a backpack with Ponchos at MK, it was our last day and didn't realize it 'til we were on the road. We need to get more.

I'll try to send send y'all a report on Sunday. I soooo can't wait, it's still pretty surreal.

To all again, thank for being so welcoming and informative.

Hi everyone! Love the new thread! We stayed at the cabins for 8 nights in October with our 1 and 3 yr old boys and loved it so much that we are returning for 9 nights in May (1st-10th). We had no golf cart but did have our own car. We were on the DDP in October so would be happy to answer any questions about using CS credits at Trails End. For the record, the Bounty Breakfast is HUGE, FRESH, and TASTY!! So is the pizza--by far the best on property. You often have to wait a few minutes for the food since they basically cook to order, but it's worth it.

Just wanted to add a note about the PONY RIDES at FW. If your kiddies are too young or small for the horses, for only $5, you can take them on a nice pony ride through the ranch area. It was a major highlight for my three old.

Fort Wilderness really is just amazing, especially if you have small children. I was so worried about using buses (our kids loved them) and not having a golf cart. It really wasn't an issue at all. Having a full sized kitchen and a living area and a nice big bathroom was fantastic. I can't emphasize enough how awesome this place is. And cheaper than the cheapest rooms at the deluxe resorts! Doesn't even begin to compare! Please feel free to ask me any questions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter