Disney's Grand Californian availability...

joelnkelly

Mouseketeer
Didnt see anything posted in the Resort Availability for the GC for the month of June, any GC owners want to call and check availability for the week of 06/10-06/16. I cant call until November 10th to find out. We are looking for either a 2 bedroom or 1 bedroom availability.

Not sure if we are allowed to post these questions, but it never hurts to ask.

And how will that help you? VGC is the smallest DVC resort and what's available this minute, can be gone or be made available the next minute.

:earsboy: Bill

Well it would let me know if it's already booked up. If you don't have anything to contribute why post something like that? It was a simple question that required a simple answer.

Well it would let me know if it's already booked up. If you don't have anything to contribute why post something like that? It was a simple question that required a simple answer.

I do have something to contribute. What I am trying to say is that availability can change by the minute. I would hate for you to get excited and make plans because today there is availability and when you call to make your reservation, there isn't any.

The reverse can also be true, today there is no availability so you give up and don't call at 7 months when actually a room became available because someone canceled.

It doesn't matter what's available today, the only thing that matters is what's available when you book.

Thanks Bill, I do appreciate the response. I was really just looking to see if as of today the rooms were booked, I would call regardless at my 7 month for availability.

I can call tomorrow and PM you. I booked the weekend prior to that a few months ago, and I also booked the last weekend in June to hedge against Carsland opening and recently let go of the last weekend in June since it sounds like Carsland will be open in time but probably not Buena Vista and we're all about Carsland.

Taaren, that would be awesome. I just want to know if they have any 1 bedrooms available from June 9th - June 17th. I look forward to your pm!

I can call tomorrow and PM you. I booked the weekend prior to that a few months ago, and I also booked the last weekend in June to hedge against Carsland opening and recently let go of the last weekend in June since it sounds like Carsland will be open in time but probably not Buena Vista and we're all about Carsland.

A little OT - I just became confused - but I'm tired. lol

Is there news that Carsland is going to open sooner than the end of June?

And how will that help you? VGC is the smallest DVC resort and what's available this minute, can be gone or be made available the next minute.

I see both sides to this but I think it was your first sentence that probably set the mood. Being a VGC owner I see where you are coming from plus Jo may be a new DVC mbr and there is no such thing as a question to be questioned on Dis Boards.

People come to these boards to get info, get excited and share. Let's have fun! Come to Aulani and you definitely will!

Aloha!

we just came back from grand californian. We booked right at the 7 month day at telephone opening and could only get 5 days . So make sure you call on the first day that you can.

we just came back from grand californian. We booked right at the 7 month day at telephone opening and could only get 5 days . So make sure you call on the first day that you can.

did you book at 2-bedroom, 1-bedroom, studio? we are hoping for a 1-bedroom, if we have to move to a studio for the last day or two we wouldnt mind.

A little OT - I just became confused - but I'm tired. lol

Is there news that Carsland is going to open sooner than the end of June?
Atm, last I heard Carsland is just "June" which means anytime in June?, and Buena Vista, etc is "Summer 2012" which I think means they're aiming for the end of June but could be later. Carsland is, from all the speculation and monorail viewing, further along than Buena Vista so they may roll it out sooner. But you've prolly followed the rumors as much as I have an your guess is as good as mine.
We also decided to give up the late June weekend since our DBF goes in July with other friends and has said that midsummer just not worth the crowds for our park-touring style, so if Carsland is open in early June we'll go, if not, I have a June UY so I'll still be able to give up the res and bank the points, maybe go offsite in Sept or just skip the Land altogether next year (which would be a waste of our APs but oh well since we already got 9 days out of em...). Apologies long ramble to say "Don't know, just guessing w everybody else." :goodvibes

We are totally new to DVC, so I asked lots of questions when I just called to book GCV...

We typically go every year for Mother's Day and my DH's birthday.

I know you can call 7 months out, but is it the first day of the month or is it the first day of the 7 months out.... ie.. I just booked a studio (but they also had 1 bedrooms open) for May 12, 13. Could I have called on Oct 1, or do I have to wait until Oct 12 to make the call?

Am on a waitlist for the 14 - guess we will see what pans out... could have stayed in a a 2 bedroom - but dont want to use all those points - I need them for Aulani :)

Carole

Atm, last I heard Carsland is just "June" which means anytime in June?, and Buena Vista, etc is "Summer 2012" which I think means they're aiming for the end of June but could be later. Carsland is, from all the speculation and monorail viewing, further along than Buena Vista so they may roll it out sooner. But you've prolly followed the rumors as much as I have an your guess is as good as mine.
We also decided to give up the late June weekend since our DBF goes in July with other friends and has said that midsummer just not worth the crowds for our park-touring style, so if Carsland is open in early June we'll go, if not, I have a June UY so I'll still be able to give up the res and bank the points, maybe go offsite in Sept or just skip the Land altogether next year (which would be a waste of our APs but oh well since we already got 9 days out of em...). Apologies long ramble to say "Don't know, just guessing w everybody else." :goodvibes

Thanks for the clarification. The last rumor I heard was end of June for Carsland. I'm hoping for earlier since we have a room booked for the second week. There's no way I'd go for a combination of the end of June and Carsland opening though!

We are totally new to DVC, so I asked lots of questions when I just called to book GCV...

We typically go every year for Mother's Day and my DH's birthday.

I know you can call 7 months out, but is it the first day of the month or is it the first day of the 7 months out.... ie.. I just booked a studio (but they also had 1 bedrooms open) for May 12, 13. Could I have called on Oct 1, or do I have to wait until Oct 12 to make the call?

Am on a waitlist for the 14 - guess we will see what pans out... could have stayed in a a 2 bedroom - but dont want to use all those points - I need them for Aulani :)

Carole

The 11 month and 7 month marks are the respective numeric dates so in your case Oct 12th was the earliest you could have called. If you had been booking at 11 months then June 12th would have been the earliest you could have called. If you had been booking for May 1st then you could have called on Oct 1st.

Same experience here. I booked 7 months out (for October) and got the last 1BR for our stay.

We also decided to give up the late June weekend since our DBF goes in July with other friends and has said that midsummer just not worth the crowds for our park-touring style, so if Carsland is open in early June we'll go...

If avoiding crowds is your biggest goal, being there within a few days/weeks of Carsland opening is not going to be ideal. Until about the third week of June, Seasonal Passholders still have access to the parks at least 4 days per week. This leads to a tremendous rush of locals visiting the parks before they are blocked-out for the rest of the summer.

If Carsland does open in early/mid June, yes you will be ahead of the summer wave of tourists. But Passholders looking to experience Carsland before their passes are blocked out for 2 months will absolutely mob the park. We spent some days at DL last June and saw 3 hour waits for Star Tours and 2 hour waits for the new Ariel attraction.

Summer does see an increase in tourists but with the Seasonal and Deluxe blockout dates, crowds are typically quite manageable as long as you avoid major holidays.

In short, if Carsland opens when Seasonal passholders still have access to the park in June, IMO the crowds will be FAR worse than a typical non-holiday period in July or August.

If avoiding crowds is your biggest goal, being there within a few days/weeks of Carsland opening is not going to be ideal. Until about the third week of June, Seasonal Passholders still have access to the parks at least 4 days per week. This leads to a tremendous rush of locals visiting the parks before they are blocked-out for the rest of the summer.

If Carsland does open in early/mid June, yes you will be ahead of the summer wave of tourists. But Passholders looking to experience Carsland before their passes are blocked out for 2 months will absolutely mob the park. We spent some days at DL last June and saw 3 hour waits for Star Tours and 2 hour waits for the new Ariel attraction.

Summer does see an increase in tourists but with the Seasonal and Deluxe blockout dates, crowds are typically quite manageable as long as you avoid major holidays.

In short, if Carsland opens when Seasonal passholders still have access to the park in June, IMO the crowds will be FAR worse than a typical non-holiday period in July or August.
Thanks for the advice. I hate to admit it, but the main reason I made the reservation was that I have a June UY :rotfl: so its very easily cancel-able, and we aren't using our points for a big VGC trip next year since we are going to the World instead. Then we weren't planning on buying AP's but it turns out that we ended up spendng 9 days in DLR this month, so we have Deluxe AP's now. Therefore all signs point towards us taking at least one weekend trip, preferably after Carsland opens, since new is always fun though we'd be happy getting our Disney mid-year fix even without it being open. Love that owning DVC allows us to 'play' with our points this way.

The other main reason we wanted to avoid late June is that we really like May & October weather, and the later one gets in June the more likely one is to run into heat _and_ crowds.

This year we were there for the CM & AP lottery previews of ST & LM, though our CM friends did not have enough extra passes for us and we did not win the lottery tix. To see ST on the first day, if our schedule had permitted I'd have been okay with braving the mob for one day, then maybe switch over to DCA/other parts of DL which were not as full from people's reports I was reading on the DLR board. So for this trip, if Carsland is open, we'll probably brave the mob one day then head over to DL the rest of the weekend and spend some time at the resort too. Also its possible that the on-site DLR hotels might have a similar promotion with fastpasses for new attractions only, if it attracted enough business for them this past year. :rolleyes1

Alternately we might cancel the reservation altogether and stay offsite, change the weekend and waitlist or stay offsite, or whatever. Just have the reservation there as a placeholder in case things work out so that is a good weekend for us to enjoy our home resort & getting a little more use out of our AP's. Not putting a ticker up yet since its all tentative ... finishing my Master's in several weeks and though I love my current position, still hoping to find a better job a little closer to DL than 2.6k miles and move, so everything for us for next year is kind of up in the air, particularly mid-year trips. So Disney is allowed to be up in the air on Carsland too. :laughing:

Apologies, for saying in a really long winded way that the goal is more than avoiding crowds, and we have reasons it works for us that may or may not apply to other people, but thanks for the crowd warning!

Taaren, that would be awesome. I just want to know if they have any 1 bedrooms available from June 9th - June 17th. I look forward to your pm!

Did you ever hear anything regarding availability? I'm planning to book June 17-22 at the 7 month window and was curious about my chances too. :cool1:

I just booked 2 nights for a 2 bedroom, end of May 2012. I used the online reservation request form on the 7 month mark exactly, submitted just after opening time. Are telephone reservations usually the best way to go or does anyone know how or when the online requests are processed?

Are telephone reservations usually the best way to go or does anyone know how or when the online requests are processed?

To maximize the chances for success, calling is the best way to go. Simply put there are no guarantees when it comes to when the email requests will be processed. Could be first thing in the morning...could be later that afternoon...could be the next day if someone is on vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter