dissappointed in park hours???

floridafanfromtn

Earning My Ears
We are going to Disney Dec 18-22 and are dissappointed in the hours that are posted for this period. I really feel that Disney is expecting us to pay full price for a 3/4 day in the parks. Our budget certainly does not allow us have to spend more money in the evenings to entertain the kids. We had planned on being at the park until 9 or 10 each evening. I hope it's not too cold to spend a couple of evenings at the pool.

We have been going to Disney off-peak for a long time and the hours have always been shorter than we expected. Magic Kingdom and MGM would close at 6 pm except on Saturday. Only Epcot would be open later with illuminations at 9 pm. I'm not saying that there haven't been some real cuts, but Disney has always scheduled park hours according to attendance, and we all pay the same no matter what those hours are. Truthfully, we'll happily trade shorter hours for shorter lines.

They don't really seem any different to me than what we have always experienced that time of year.

Are you looking at the hours posted on this site or on the Disney.com site. The hours posted on this site are using PROJECTED times based on last year's schedule (closing 9:00pm) but the Disney site shows that they will be closing at WDW 6:00 and AK 5:00. This is way too early for the this time of year. I am trying to be understanding about the state of the ecomony and realize the 9/11 has hit Disney as much as anyone but we love being at the park late in the evenings, watching the parades and carrying the kids out half asleep. It will be strange to be back at the hotel by 6:30 and wonder what to do with the rest of our evenings. It just won't be the same.

I am considering buying daily ticket instead of park hoppers since they close so early. Park hoppers are good to go to one park in the morning take a rest and hit another park for a special parade or event in the evening.

:( :( :( :confused: :confused: :eek: :eek:

Nope. I'm talking about the hours on the Disney site. We are used to the MK closing at 6pm or 7pm in December. It has always been that way when we are there that time of year, at least during the week. AK has usually closed at 6pm, I think, but an hour doesn't really make any difference at that park. As far as we can tell, the Dec. hours really aren't that different than past years we have been there.

Don't feel bad, I've picked an even better time to go. The first week in Dec. when the Media Event is going on. MGM is closing at 4:00pm on 12/5 (Walt's B-Day) and now people are getting word dragged out of Disney employees that MK will be closing at 3:00PM on Dec. 4th.
Now that is really not get your $'s worth.;)

We are booked for the first week of December also. If our annual passes didn't expire in January I think we would just cancel completely. I think the worst of it is that they are trying to keep that 3 pm closing at Magic Kingdom so quiet. WOW! There went the fun of planning this trip.

Wow! I can not believe they will have much of a crowd closing at 3:00 and 4:00.

What ashame, I feel Disney is hurting itself more than 9-11-01 ever could. We are rethinking our plans, not because we are afraid to travel but because it seems that we are not getting the high standard Walt Disney World that we have grown to love and expect. Everyone knows that a week at Disney is a huge expense and one that is worth every dime under normal circumstances.

I hope you have a wonderful time. Come back and let us know how things go.

:wave:

I would have changed my dates if I didn't have MVMCP tickets and airline tickets already. They just sprung the MK closing at 3:00pm over the weekend. This is not a cheap vacation, but I agree it is worth it, but this time I feel like alot of the magic is already taken away. We leave in 10 days and all I can do is wonder about all the plans I've made to make this trip special going down the drain. All the excitement I had at the 120 day mark making that first ps call has been taken away. Now I wonder if I should have just bitten the bullet and cancelled when all the changes for the kickoff of the 100th B-day were announced. I could have gotten my kitchen redone for what this trip is costing me and at the moment I feel like I would enjoy that more than what this trip is turning out to be.
It is a shame that Disney does this and is taking for granted all the customers that didn't cancel after 9-11. Not the best way to show you appreciate the business even with all the cutbacks they've done.
But even with how I feel right now, I know I will have a good time when I'm there, but they sure took ALL THE FUN OUT OF PLANNING MY TRIP!!!
:(

Last January we stayed at HIFS. We liked it fine, and we loved the separate bedroom from the kids. But, we decided this would be a great time to try the Disney hotels even if it meant giving up some privacy. We took advantage of the annual pass rates and booked the Boardwalk Inn and the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Then they did away with early entry and cut back hours - now the hours for the first week of December are laughable. I think we are spending a lot of money that at this point I am not sure will be worth it. We are driving and could switch weeks but all our dining is arranged including Cindy's.

HI where is this information about the first week of December(hours) Myself and my 2 ds sons will be down the first week of December I can't believe how bad disney is getting its getting to the point I don't think its worth it to spend the money. They are definately not catering to us as customers and definately not trying to keep us coming back. Walt would be turning in his grave to see how disney treats people. I DEFINATELY DO NOT THINK THAT WAS HIS DREAM

We've been lots of times when the park closed at 7 p.m. (and maybe 6 p.m., but I'm not sure) and were well satisfied, since the lines were very short (or nonexistent). BUT 3 and 4 p.m. is ridiculous!!! They ought to be ashamed of themselves. Think of how many people won't even know until they get there.

I just went to the Disney web site and looked. Nowhere did I see a 3 pm closing!!! So is this a fact or just one of those rumors that gets started.

If the 4 pm is a media event then it has happened before so I don't think it is an impact of the 9/11 events except that the event got pushed back from October until now.

One early closing during the week is still doable but when you close MGM early on Wed. and Magic Kingdom VERY early on Tuesday - that is just too much.

Yes - CRO is denying the 3 pm closing of Magic Kingdom but, the parade has been moved to 2 pm when it is showing at 3 pm every other day and just try booking any dining after 3. The system shows everything closed.

Just a theory...perhaps they will be using all the restaurants to provide dinner to the media while they clear the park at 6 p.m. for the media exclusive event that evening?

Or, they don't want any dinner stragglers for the same reason - to have the park cleared. (We once had a lovely, long dinner at the Bistro and a vehicle was waiting to drive us out of Epcot!)

RANdisNEY,

I would love it if your theory were true. My whole day on 12/4 revolves around MK. I would hate to have to change my dinner plans for our party of 8. We are trying O'Hana's for the first time. Our girls (4) are also going to the Wonderland Tea Party, so if MK is closing at 3:00 then it makes no sense to go back after they are done at 2:30.

I too had thought maybe it was just a block on the restuarants for that day. When I spoke with a CM the other day she insisted that the only closing for media was 12/5 at MGM. Hope it turns out to be true.

Now if they would only add a second Spectro onto 12/1 schedule that would make me even happier. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter