DLH and TripAdvisor - Really that bad?

DaveO

Mouseketeer
I plan on using my DVC points for a DL trip in June. After reading some of the horrible reviews at TripAdvisor it is making me wonder if I should just stay at the CandyCane Inn. But when I go to thd CCI site it just looks like a dressed up motel. Most of the DLH negative reviews seem to come from poeple in CA who usually stay off-site and did not think it is worth the money. They say it is dirty, rooms small, worn and old, bad CMs ..... Is DLH really that bad? I am used to WDW IE I know that staying at the POP resort at WDW for $100/night is basically the same room off site for $49/night.

I just want to be confident that for the most part I will not get a run down dirty room with un-Disney cast members. I want to be able to park my car and be in the Disney realm and not leave ... I do not want to see the equivelent of International Drive during my stay if possible.

Are the people on Trip Advisor exagerating the resort? What are your views?

Thanks for the insight !!

Dave O.

I asked the same question after looking at Trip Advisor. I got some really great answers and if you search on this site for Disneyland Hotel hopefully you will find the responses that I received. All but one were very good. We have stayed at the Grand Californian before and absolutely loved it, but there were also bad reviews for it. My kids saw the Disneyland Hotel and that is where they are demanding we stay. After hearing from people on this site I feel so much better. I also talked to a person in VIP Services and he said that you always have to remember that sometimes people get carried away with what they expect, but that they are continuously getting letters with regard to how much people like the Disneyland Hotel. Hope this helps.

I am always shocked at the bad reviews for DLH as well. We have stayed at all three on site properties many times and feel the negativity unfounded. That is not to say that once in awhile a few CM's exhibit unDisney like attitudes and can be rude (Karen's recent experience is an example), but for the most part it makes the vacation magical. DLH's rooms are dated, but I think very clean and the hotel itself is beautiful with a lot of Disney immerged throughout. When the price is right, I always stay onsite, if I cannot get a good rate I stay off site. I love DLH, and I understand what you mean about not wanting anything outside "the world" to be part of your vacation. JMHO - you asked! Good luck deciding :flower:

We were there in April and had a great time. We are planning to go back in January and I am trying to decide whether to stay there or GC. The staff was friendly, the rooms nice and the grounds really fun. We enjoyed the pool and just strolling around the property at night. My dd loved the remote control boats. I think some people expect too much from the resort. But we enjoyed it.

We stayed at the DLH twice in 2004 and loved it both times! I didn't find it to be old or smelly at all and all of the CM's I dealt with were great! We had a room with two queens and a day bed and we thought it was huge! The bathroom was huge as well! The grounds of the hotel are beautiful as well!

I would highly recommend it!

Mouseplanet.com has reviews of the hotel as well and those seem more in line with what I imagine it is like. Plus, there are a TON of them! We are staying at the DL Hotel for the very first time 11/27-11/30 and I will let you know for sure after then, but so far, Vacation Planning has been AMAZING!!!!! Talk about your "Disney"ed CMs!!

I think the difference is that people here, and on sites like mouseplanet, love all things Disney, and so find the extra cost of the Disneyland Hotel worth it for that extra Disney hit.

But those on trip advisor are judging it a little more harshly, and finding that it doesn't match up to similarly priced hotels, and is using the Disney name to charge a higher price than the facilties warrant.

There have a been few bad reviews here recently as well. For what it's worth, the trip advisor reviews, and the prices charged, made me decide the DLH was not worth it and we instead chose the HoJo, which was excellent.

While I think everyone's opinion is a valid one, the experience I had at the DLH this summer was the exact opposite of what you described.

We had a large, clean room, with a great view (booked standard view). The CMs we dealt with were Disneylike, and we found the location to be great.

Our only complaints were very limited counter service food and a way too small laundry room.

We have stayed at the DLH five times in the past two years and have loved each of our stays. I can honestly say we only had one problem, very noisy neighbors who let their kids play the tv at the highest volume at 5:00 a.m. One call to the front desk and security had that issue resolved in less than five minutes. So that problem was not even the hotel's fault and they handled it quickly and efficiently. The rest of our stay(s) we just felt surrounded in magic and never had any complaints! All of the cm's we have encountered have always been wonderful, so no complaints there from us.

I do know there are a very few rooms that are smaller than the norm. These seem to have one King bed only and are way smaller. I saw one once, my brother's mil had one but it was fine with her as she was alone. If I was requesting a King room, I would just make sure you tell them on the reservation you want a standard size room. I know they have King rooms that fit that bill because DH and I stayed in one last August. I think the odds of getting one of the tiny rooms are pretty low. Every room I have stayed in has been nice and oversized and spotlessly clean.

As far as tripadvisor I enjoy the site and use it often. However, I think many people who frequent that site are bargain hunters. For $200 or more a night they want something other than a Marriott with Pixie Dust wallpaper and Mickey wake up calls. I have always been satisfied with what I got for the money. Yes it is a lot to stay onsite at Disneyland, but I find the amenities to be pretty extensive. There are full service restaurants, health club, valet, room service, concierge services and pretty much everything else I have had at four star hotels around the country. And the Disney touches are subtle and tasteful. My brother and his wife are not in love with all things Disney but loved the DLH and are staying there again.

I think another reason you see some bad reviews are people who frequent WDW and are used to having so many onsite choices at so many price levels. The DLH is not as themed as say the Poly but it is also much cheaper. So in that respect it wins on the bargain scale.

DVC points are so low at the DLH right now it is really a good bargain. At $5.50 a point and what, 25 points a night that is a pretty awesome deal. If I had any points left for 2006 I would be staying there next June believe me! But Saratoga Springs and Boardwalk are eating up my points so I guess its the Embassy Suites in Garden Grove for us! Rest easy, I think you will enjoy your stay there way more than if you stayed offsite. Most of the neighboring motels near Disneyland are just that, motels. Even the beloved HoJo that gets great reviews on tripadvisor. Those great reviews on tripadvisor really disappointed me at the Howard Johnsons. It got higher reviews than the DLH and both DH and I felt really let down. It was an okay place but it was not better than the Disneyland Hotel. Less than half the price and less than half the hotel. Another perk to staying at the DLH is you can take the monorail or walk the pleasant 10-15 minute walk up DTD and not up busy Harbor Blvd. Since you are used to staying onsite at WDW and not leaving the magic behind, believe me I would be surprised if you were happier staying offsite at one of the nearby motels.

First of all, I do like many of the area hotels. I have friends in the OC area, as well as am an avid Angels fan, and have conventions down there, so I spend a lot of time in the Anaheim hotels, both on and off site.

I should say that I mostly get rooms on priceline.com using www.biddingfortravel.com because I know the area well already, and know what I'm signing up for. I have often gotten the Hyatt on Harbor Blvd for $40. If you take a value like that, and stack it up to the "new discounted rates" of $180 at the DLH for a rack rate, It does make it harder to like the Disney Hotels. However....I still do like them, and make at least one on-site night a year if possible.

I think when using Tripadvisor, you always need to take the date of review into question.

I find that the worst reviews are always posted either during late summer, or the holidays.

There are two reasons for this:
1. More guests, and not enough staff can lead to an unhappy CM, treating you in an un-disneylike manner.
2. If you're already frazzled after a long august day in the parks with crowds and kids in tow, you're likely to be more receptive to bad treatment.

I pretty much only vacation in off-season-given the luxury of a single gal, with a cute boyfriend, but no children =) .

I know that my stays are often incredibly pleasant at places that others hate.

Then again, I always walk into a hotel with a smile, and a bit of patience. It goes a long way.

(I often find that tripadvisor reviewers walk in hating the place, and expect the CMs to turn it around for them).

If your points allow, I do say that the Grand Californian is a bit nicer than the DLH, but a stay in Sierra tower of the Hotel always makes me feel happy too.

You'll have a great time-whatever you decide.
-Tina. :cloud9:

Thanks all for the help. I have decided to stay at the DLH with my DVC points it will only 'cost' me $160 per night. I also did not know they had rooms with 2 queens and a day bed. That will be helpful as we are most likley going to take our 16yo niece along with our two boys 5 and 4.

Now to decide about our San Diego hotel ....... I really hate these decisions as a really bad hotel can ruin a trip !!

Thanks again !!

Dave O.

If I were you I would stay at the Hotel Del Coronado on Coronado Island. It is a landmark and absolutely stunning. You can't go wrong with this hotel and it is pretty convenient to everything. It is also rated as one of the best hotels in the world and is known for having some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. It is really great!

Hi DaveO,
Looks like we're planning on the same itinery, although we are going during MA April vacation week!! I used our DVC points for DLH and exchanged into Hotel DelCoronado for 2 nights. That is an very expensive way to use the points, I should've research better. Paying cash would've been cheaper.

Sue from Boston

I can recommend the Loew's on Coronado. Sometimes you can get an awesome deal on Expedia. I second that Coronado is very convenient. Not a bad drive into downtown at all. We really enjoyed our stay there two years ago but haven't been there recently. Glad the DLH worked out for you. My brother and his wife are staying there in January and got a $168 a night castmember rate. So your $160 a night figure is even better than what the DLH is offering castmembers! Have fun on your California trip.

I think you will be happy with your choice, especially with your kids. If you have a standard view, request the Marina Tower. You might get a view of the fireworks, and you can go to breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen (a must!) without even leaving the building. This is the tower closest to the parking lot that has the check-in and the gift shops. Your kids will love the pool! Keep in mind that the pool slide does not open until later in the morning and closes before the pool closes; that was a disappointment for us since we like to use the pool first thing in the morning or later at night. All of the hotels within walking distance on Harbor are just dressed up motels, nothing special, although the CCI seems to be the best of the bunch. I think the DLH is definitely worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter