DLH Norwegian half-term, 28 September - 3 October 2014

C3PO

Mouseketeer
It's been a busy week at work, so I've only been writing my recollections one day at a time, but I'll be done by tomorrow. I managed to write the first two days while there, but as we went for the full package of 07:30-22:00 most days, I couldn't keep it up.

Anyway, here's the intro.

Cast of characters:
Travellers from Norway.
C3PO grew up around the world, and native language is English. Rusty French from school and university. Children are bilingual in Norwegian and English.
Grandmother – my mother
D – 10-year-old boy with ADHD/Aspergers – considers himself English, as he was born in the UK
E – 8-year-old girl
P – 3-year-old boy

Hotel: Disneyland Hotel, with free half-board Premium vouchers
Wait times: Unless specified, they were generally walk-ons. We ended up not using at least 2 days' worth of hotel FPs.
Weather: Except for rain on the Monday, mostly nice and warm from midday to late afternoon.

This TR is a bit of a mammoth. Sorry! I have tried to focus on writing relevant information, though.

Our flight arrived on schedule at 15:10 a much smaller terminal than I am used to. This did mean that it didn't take long til we were in the arrivals hall, where we were met by Chris from EzyShuttle. The trip to Marne la Vallee also went quickly, and we were checked in by 16:30. We were allocated a room in building 3, which meant going up to the second floor of the main building, walking across the bridge past the restaurants, and taking another lift in the next building. I timed it – a 5-minute walk. Looking at the signs, it seemed that there ought to be a closer exit to the parks, but I couldn't find it.

I had made a dinner reservation for 19:00, and unfortunately couldn't change it, so we went straight to the park to use our pause gourmande (PG) vouchers. We stopped at the Cable Car Bakeshop, where the offering was a muffin with a cold or hot drink. I didn't see any coffee being served, so we all had cold drinks. The muffins were good, and gave a much-needed energy boost.

We tried to avoid the 17:30 parade, and made our way to the beginning of the parade, where we had to stop. 'Luckily' we only had to wait for a few minutes before dashing into IASW. I knew that it would be closed from Monday onwards, and was thrilled to get the chance. Unfortunately it was a bit underwhelming this time. The sound wasn't loud enough in the first few rooms, so you couldn't hear the singing properly. Maybe this is why they're closing it.

Then we made our way to Peter Pan, and decided to use our hotel FPs. A wise choice, as the FP queue is extremely short.

We then returned to the hotel and freshened up, before going down to California Grill. Unfortunately the boys seemed to be very tired and cranky, so it was hard to order for them, and then they didn't want the food they received. Their mains were fine, but I wasn't pleased by the starters, which were a bit advanced. Son 1 liked his ice cream dessert, son 2 was picky. My daughter made less of a fuss, but didn't eat much either. I suspect the restaurant is used to getting lots of food back from tables with kids. We adults enjoyed our meals, but I wouldn't say they were terribly impressive for this price range. Still, I was pleased to have a good meal that wasn't too heavy on the stomach. And my Olaf dessert was fun!

After dinner, the two eldest and I went back to the park for Dreams. Following advice on one of the forums, we headed towards Plaza Gardens. It was pretty crowded, but we found a decent spot. We had bought Light and ears, but they didn't seem to be coordinated with the show. We also found that they acted differently if you pushed certain places on the hat. Since we were here for quite a few more days, I didn't mind the outlay.

All in all, a lot done, considering my original plan was just to arrive and eat.

Wanting to make the most of EMH, we were at breakfast around 7:45. The breakfast selection was huge, but I didn't like much of the hot offerings. The omelette and scrambled eggs tasted like powdered eggs, and the boiled eggs were overboiled. P liked the sausages, I found them dry. The pancakes very also very dry. The cold food, breads and pastries were good. The tea water was just above tepid. Hot drinks were brought to our table by a waitress, and included coffee, tea and hot chocolate.

It was raining fairly heavily, but we had brought raincoats, so off we went. We headed straight to Discoveryland, and Buzz Lightyear, which thoroughly frightened P. Next was Orbitron for the older children, which they enjoyed, and another round of Buzz Lightyear. It was nearing opening, so we joined the line for Autopia, which we have never done before. We all had great fun on this charming attraction. P was in the driver's seat, but soon asked me to do the steering.

Once the park had opened, we headed over to the dragon's lair. D was nervous, but went in, E was scared, but eventually went in. P decided against it. Of course once D & E were in, it was hard to get them out again. I was disappointed by the lack of smoke, which I remembered from our previous visit.

Finally, we exited on the other end of the castle, bought E a dress, and did the Labyrinth and the Tea C. They were all having fun now. I didn't go on the Tea Cups, and got to enjoy the true delight on P's face.

Next we headed to Discoveryland railway station, and were given a carriage to ourselves. We had a nice journey to Frontierland. On the way there was a long stop at Main Street, and I was asked to move our folded stroller to the stroller area, where I noted most strollers weren't folded. Good to know. By now, I had stopped being shy about my French, and most of my interactions were now in French. It's just easier.

There wasn't much to do in Frontierland, and we weren't feeling quite brave enough about BTM, so we ventured over to Phantom Manor. I had got E to promise to join me, but she found it very scary. I found it a bit underwhelming. It really is missing something without the audio commentary, and where are the ghosts in your car at the end?

I was pretty hungry by now, but the day's big meal was only 2 hours and a bit away, so we had to be careful. We went to Casey's Corner, and shared chicken nuggets and fries, while D had a hot dog.

With one hour to go, E and I returned to the hotel, where she changed into her new Rapunzel outfit and cape. My mother and the boys went off to Adventureland, and ate at the Blue Lagoon, although P found it a bit scary. By now my mother had deduced that he doesn't like dark rides.

E and I returned to Fantasyland, and went straight to the front of the line at the carousel, but it was taking too long, so we backtracked and went to Auberge de Cendrillon at 14:30. It was busy in there, but like others have reported, the princesses did a good job of taking time with the children. Belle spent a long time chatting to her, which she enjoyed. We also met Aurora, Prince Philip and Sleeping Beauty, then Suzy and Perla. We didn't get a good view of the dancing, but didn't mind. The food was good, but unspectacular. I enjoyed my trio of salmon starter. E had a salad and salmon starter. It took a long time for our main to arrive. Mine was a nice roast veal with potatoes dauphinoise. E wasn't as pleased with her hamburger, which was thin and very dry. Interestingly it didn't have a bun, but thin slices of potato. She enjoyed her side pasta and gravy, though. It must be noted that she found an eyelash on the pasta. I didn't complain, as we were on the free vouchers plan. I had some kind of Baked Alaska for dessert. I had seen other people being served it flambéed, so I was excited, but it wasn't flambéed by the time I got it. It was delicious, though. If anyone has the recipe, please pass it on. E had Cinderella's slipper, which she didn't like, and a meringue on top of vanilla ice cream, on a raspberry coulis. The advantage of our late booking was that soon most of the other tables had left, so by the time the princesses danced again, it was easy to get a good view. The bonus came at the end, when the evil stepsisters and stepmother stopped by, and chatted with E before spying the prince, and running off to him. Much sadness ensued when he rebuffed them. Our meal over, E and I went out to take photos of Cinderella's carriage.

It was now time to rejoin our group, so we headed down to Main Street, where my mother and the boys had staked out a good spot to view the Disney Magic parade. While we waited, I took the two eldest off for separate excursions. Finally, the parade started, and I realized that we had inadvertently seen the whole thing the day before. P loved it, though.

When it was over, we headed back to Discoveryland. I was dying for a cup of tea, so we used our PG vouchers at Cafe Hyperion. Each child had an ice cream, and I picked up a couple of double mickey cakes to keep for later. D went off to Buzz Lightyear on his own, and we ended up having an excessively long break. D, E and I went to Star Tours, which we really enjoyed again. I though back to how I had first taken it in California in 1988! Then we returned to Buzz once more. We were lucky to break down in a strategic place, so D ended up with a score of 447,000.

It was now dark and it had started drizzling. Our jackets were back at the hotel, so we weren't sure what to do. Turning right, just outside Discoveryland, we realized that there were fantastic views of the castle, and seats to boot! We had to take them. Unfortunately P started asking to go to bed, so I decided to take him back. We got a glimpse of the fireworks from the second floor of the hotel, and I asked him if he wanted to watch, but he was too tired. We bought him a plush Pluto, and I put him to bed.

The others returned shortly after, and once they were in bed, my mother and. I went to Cafe Fantasia. She had a Glowtini and potato chips. I had a diet coke with a glow cube, and a nice lemon meringue pie. I didn't want to linger, so it didn't take too long til we were in bed.

Breakfast was at 7:30. The day started really foggy, and we couldn't see the castle, which was pretty special. D, E and I were in the park at 8:30 for EMH.

First we did Buzz Lightyear, then we went to Fantasyland and discovered that Maleficent's thorn bush had been unveiled. We then walked straight onto Peter Pan and Dumbo. We finished with the Carousel, before heading back to Discoveryland. We split up here. D and I went to Space Mountain. E was going to do Orbitron, then meet us. D was nervous, as he had never taken a ride with a loop before. I was also a bit nervous. It was fine, and D was thrilled that he had enjoyed it. We met up with a sad E outside Buzz. She told us that the CM hadn't let her go on Orbitron on her own. I thought this was strange, as the children had been allowed to go in separate rockets the day before. I've now checked, and there is no information about a height restriction on the website. We wanted to see the dragon on the way out, but the gate was closed.

We then left the park, and went to WDS. I had had trouble getting into Disneyland Park, and at WDS it was clear that the card had been demagnetized and would need to be replaced.

We decided to start with me, D and E using the hotel FPs to walk on to Ratatouille. I think the normal wait was 20 min. We really enjoyed it.

Next was Crush's Coaster, which I had never been on before. The wait time was 20 or 30 minutes. D and I found it more intense than Space Mountain, while E loved it.

I was starting to get hungry, so after discovering that Cafe des Cascadeurs hadn't opened yet, we went to the Blockbuster Cafe. It was empty, so I wondered if it actually was open. Like others have written, it is self-service, which makes it a good option for a fast meal. We ordered kids' menus and an adult menu. The children had the Croque Monsieur, I had a ham and cheese baguette, which had too much bread. Dessert was a nice lemon meringue dessert. The restaurant filled up more by the time we left, but still wasn't too busy, so I would be happy to return if I need a fairly quick meal before 12:30.

Next was the Disney Junior show. When we walked in, Jake and Sofia were dancing with children. My little Jake fan was intimidated, and didn't dare greet him. E wasn't much better, and took a lot of convincing to approach Jake and Sofia, and even then wasn't able to relax. Eventually it was time for the main show, and P enjoyed that much more. I think it helped that the characters were smaller, and further away.

After the show was over, we realized that there was a meet and greet in the Cars & Stars area, so we wandered over, but no characters came over to us right then. So we decided to go into Stitch Live instead. D had loved it 4 years ago, and been picked out to talk to Stitch back then. He clearly remembered where to sit, because he got picked again. I think this is one of the cleverest attractions I've seen. The computer program must be really extensive, because Stitch seems to handle anything that is said.

There was a new Stars & Cars meet and greet starting when we came out, and since it was after 2 pm, which is after the scheduled time, there weren't as many people around. This time, the children got to meet Goofy, Donald Duck and Chip (or Dale). By now P had warmed up to the characters, and I was pleased.

It was now time to go to the Toy Story area. P loved Slinky Dog, and took it first with his grandmother, then with me and his brother. Then D decided he wanted to do the Parachute Drop. I don't like rides that drop, so I didn't want to do it, and the single rider line was only 5 minutes, so he decided to go on it. But he never seemed to get on it, and after 15 minutes I called him. He said that he was still in line, which I thought was odd, so I went to check the situation. It turned out that he had had a bit of a meltdown. D is an excellent climber, and will climb the highest trees, and loves climbing walls. Strangely enough, he's afraid of heights. And clearly this fear had taken over, and the CMs were trying to find out what was wrong with him, but he wasn't able or willing to say anything. I thanked everybody, and took him away.

We decided that it was time for a break, so we looked for a place to use our teatime vouchers. I had naturally compiled a list of all the places where you could use the vouchers, but forgot to check my list. It turned out that they only accepted them at the CS restaurants, so we went to Restaurant en Coulisse. The children had ice creams and water. I can't remember what I had, except that I had a tea with it, and my mother had coffee.

We decided at this point that D needed a break, so P & I took him back to the hotel, and left him there to relax. P & I returned to WDS to wait for my mother and E, who had used the hotel FPs to take Ratatouille. We then walked over to the Village, which has changed quite a bit during the past few years. We had an ice cream at the Ben & Jerry stand, then visited the shops, before going to the railway station, and buying 1 day Paris Visite cards (zone 1-5) for the next day, as we were going into town the next day.

We then returned to the hotel, where D was much better after having had some time to himself. The children took a bath, and we went down to Inventions for dinner. The buffet was good as usual, and we had a table close to a window. We couldn't look straight out from our table, but could lean over towards the next table, and see the castle. The food was good as usual. I enjoyed the seafood, but didn't have the prawns, as I live in Norway, and can have prawns whenever I like. The rest of the hot food was very good. I missed more vegetables at the meal, though, and there wasn't much in the way of salad, so that was a pity. I had to try a few desserts before finding the ones I liked the best. After observing another mother, I realized that there was ice cream for children – upon request. So I made sure to ask! Otherwise the character interaction at the meal was good, and by now my children were feeling comfortable with the characters. We met Minnie, Goofy, Mickey, Dale and Chip.

After two trips to DLP, it was time to show the kids Paris. Luckily a cousin of mine had moved to Paris 2 weeks earlier, so this was the perfect opportunity for a visit. We managed to get up at the usual time, have breakfast at 7:30, and were at Marne la Vallee station at 8:30. We caught the first RER train towards Paris, and got off at Etoile. It was so packed that we weren't able to get on the next metro train towards Pont de Neuilly.

We had a nice morning with my cousin, then decided to eat locally for lunch. We found a wonderful little hole in the wall called Zegato. The children had delicious croque monsieurs, and we had tomato and mozzarella tarts, with delicious salad and amazing cheesecake for dessert.

After lunch, it was time to get touristy, and my cousin had other engagements, so we left her, and took the metro back to Etoile. We admired the Arc de Triomphe, then decided to walk to the Eiffel Tower. It looked so close on the map. Not at all – it was quite a walk down Ave. Marceau. As we walked into the tower area, it was clear that the lines were really long – I had tried to buy tickets online a while back, but been unsuccessful. This wasn't all bad, as our plans had changed since then. However the line to take the stairs at the south pillar was non-existent. This posed a dilemma. Considering what had happened to D at the Parachute Drop yesterday, was there any point in trying to go up? As it was getting late, I said that I didn't think we should go up. D began to cry at this point from disappointment, so I asked him if he was sure he could make it up, and he said that yes, he was sure. So we sent my mother and P off to the park south of the tower, while D, E and I went up. We bought our tickets and went through two security checks. We hadn't gone up many levels when D started hyperventilating. Soon he was in the midst of a panic attack. I had to be really firm with him, as the stairs are one-way only, so I needed to get him up to the first floor, so we could go down again. Once we were up there, we took the elevator down again, after a short wait.

Back on the ground, we went in search of ice cream and toilets. We found the ice cream, but the nearest toilets were closed for cleaning. Instead we went looking for the rest of our group. My mother had found a playground, and had taken P there.

It was getting late, so I decided it was time to head back to DLP. Struggling on the metro with the folded buggy wasn't enticing, so we went to the taxi rank by the river. Every time my mother asked and said there were 5 of us, we got turned down, so I took matters into my hands, and went to a larger taxi further down the line and spoke to the driver in French. When he said I should go to one of the others ahead, I told him that they had all turned us down, so he agreed to take us, commenting that "You know what these French people are like". He drove us quickly to Etoile, and we were able to take the next RER train towards Marne la Vallee. The train was really full, and we didn't get seats til we were over halfway there, but the children did really well and didn't complain.

It was about 7:30 by the time we arrived, so we headed straight to Annette's, and were seated immediately. The children were happy with their food, and our waiter was friendly. I wasn't terribly impressed by my very thin cheeseburger. It tasted fine, and then I realized that it was exactly like the hamburgers I used to get at my local chippy when we lived in the Midlands. The burger came with a ton of fries, which were sorely needed by then. A nice surprise was the lemonade, which we really enjoyed. The children were getting really tired, and weren't up to dessert, but since it came with their meals, the boys had ice cream, and E had a fruit salad – which I ate instead. The bill came to a pricy EUR 90. We had one child's HB Premium voucher left over, so I asked if we could use it towards our bill. We could, and it reduced the bill by EUR 30!

As D had not been to the Village with us the day before, he and I went to the Lego shop. We then looked in some of the other shops before returning to the hotel. By now the lines at Annette's were really long, so we were happy that we had eaten when we had. We were back at the hotel at 10 pm, and I collapsed in bed.

We decided to take things slightly easier today by swimming, but started with breakfast at the usual time. I used the robe and slippers from my room, and we asked the concierge for kids's robes for the two eldest children. I took the children down to the pool, while my mother stayed in the room. We didn't need to show ID at the pool reception, and they gave us each a towel. The changing room was very nice, and had showers and two saunas, as well as the usual amenities. They had a bathing suit drier in the hall between the changing rooms. You have to cross a fairly cool hall from the changing rooms to the pool, which isn't ideal. I'm not a very good swimmer, and P and I decided the main pool wasn't warm enough to play in. It was fine for the older ones. As there was a lifeguard on duty, I didn't want him to question my letting them be in the pool by themselves, so I set them to doing 10 laps each, so he could see that they have no trouble in the water. P and I went into the jaccuzzi, which was very nice, although gentler than I'm used to. When we were ready to leave, the lifeguard came over and told me, politely, that I shouldn't have had the children in there because of the high chlorine levels. He had refrained from telling me earlier, as he had seen that I was on my own. I had seen a sign that said no 0-12 in symbols, but I thought that meant 0-12 months. I apologized, and the children and I went to shower. So a word of warning – don't take your children to the jaccuzzi.

This leisurely start meant that it was after 10 by the time we got into DLP. There were much more decorations than earlier in the week, and characters were doing meet and greets in Halloween costume. Then I realized that I'd left my phone at the hotel, which was annoying, due to the long walk. I took the exit on the far right, and right behind it notice a door to my building with a keycard slot. I tried my card, and presto! Instead of the 5-minute walk, I was in my room in about a minute, and back in the park shortly after. I still had to go through the busy main entrance to the park, but this was a vast improvement.

We caught the end of the villain's promenade, and realizing that we hadn't done much shopping so far on this holiday, we decided to do the Main Street shops properly, and have our purchases sent back. This was fun, but it was strange not to be taking the time to go on rides. By the time we came out, it was getting close for Mickey's Halloween parade. Strangely enough, nobody seemed to be waiting for it, so we were able to stake out a good place on the sidewalk, and check with an employee that it was actually going to be happening. It didn't end up happening at the scheduled time, but about 20 minutes later, but we had a great spot. Typically, some people who turned up at the last minute decided to try to stand in front of my children and take photos, but I told them to move. A couple of others got in my way, so I just stuck out my elbows to keep my personal space intact. We had been waiting for 30 minutes, after all. It was a fun parade, and the children really enjoyed it.

After this, we decided to go to Maleficent's Court, and see what was happening there. We saw the dragon on the way. It was open again, and this time was spewing smoke, which was good. At the Court, several of the characters were standing around the thorn bush, and there was no organized line to see them. Maleficent herself was picking the children to come to her. I had to laugh when she picked a child dressed in the Maleficent costume and she said "You should all be wearing this!" There were also CMs handing out bags of Haribo candies to children.

Tempers were starting to get frayed, and it was clear that we were all tired from the past few days' walking and lack of time on attractions so far, so my mother took the children on to the Tea Cups.

Then there was no denying that it was lunch time and we went to Fuente del Oro. P had been eating virtually nothing so far on this holiday, so it wasn't worth buying him a separate meal, so we ordered two kids meals and two adult meals, and shared food with him. Service was fairly slow, and the CMs forgot to give us our side salads, which was a bit annoying – but there was no point in trying to go sort it out. The food was OK, but only as a change from the usual other food. I don't think I'll return.

Finally it was time to get going. D really wanted to go to Phantom Manor, so he and I went and did that, while my mother went off with the other two children. D really enjoyed it again. We then went to Big Thunder Mountain, which supposedly had a 5-minute wait, but it took more like 15 minutes. We were both nervous, but had a fun time, and promised to go back.

We then went to Pirates of the Caribbean, did a bit more shopping, and D&E and I took the ride. It was fun, but the drops were very gentle. I seem to remember that there is only one drop at WDW, and that it's steeper. We had a good time, though, although D wasn't completely convinced. My mother had bought popcorn in the shop, and when I pointed out that it was sweet popcorn she tried to return it and exchange it for salted, and they refused, claiming that the bar code wasn't the same. If I hadn't been as tired as I was, I would have gone and sorted them out. Of course they have to take goods back with a receipt!

We went to Fantasyland, and did the Maze again, as well as the Tea Cups and the Carousel. We decided everybody needed a tea break, but I was having trouble finding a place to use the vouchers at the top end of Fantasyland, so we went to Toad Hall. Service was fairly slow, but mostly due to guests not knowing how to use their PG vouchers. According to the menu, they offered brioches or fruit cake, so I was surprised when I was asked if I wanted ice cream. I said no, which was a bad move. I had the fruit cake, which was fine, but the brioches were microwaved while I waited, and done so poorly. I went off in search of some salted popcorn and cotton candy for my tired children.

Next we went on Casey Jr., which we all enjoyed, especially P, then the Storyland boats, which was also fun. When we came back to our stroller, we discovered that someone had taken the salted popcorn, but left the sweet popcorn and the cotton candy. Leaving them there had been a calculated risk, but I wish they had taken the sweet popcorn instead. Next, P, E and my mother went on Dumbo, which P really loved. They then returned to the hotel, while E and D I and wanted to see the dragon first, and stop by a shop and buy my mother a gift, as well as some fudge for the group.

We returned briefly to the hotel, then headed to the Village, for our booking at Café Mickey at 19:00. We were placed in the lean-to, but we've sat there before, and didn't feel like we missed out on anything. Goofy came by almost immediately, followed by Minnie, Pluto and Mickey. They were the only characters throughout our meal, and came by our table about 3 times. I'm very careful with how I order, so my meal was fine. A bruschetta and mozzarella starter, and the seafood linguine as my main. I didn't like the Mickey cupcake I had for dessert, and only had a few bites. The chocolate case was fine. My mother's starter was fine, but she had the steak as her main, and it was unevenly cooked, and very dry and chewy in parts (she ordered it cooked medium). She had the coffee and small desserts after. We paid with our vouchers, and they really should have not taken all of them, but the restaurant did, charging Disney EUR200 for a EUR140 meal. Not a problem for us, but I was glad not to be paying such prices for a mediocre meal and so few characters. If I want character interaction, I'll be sticking with Inventions next time.

We ended the evening with a quick stop at the Lego Store, where my son decided to buy the Eiffel Tower Lego set. Then we returned to the hotel, and stopped by the shop to pick up our purchases. After that, we all collapsed again, and fell into a deep slumber, too tired to pack for the next day's departure.

I had hoped to make it to EMH, but it just wasn’t possible, as we hadn't packed. While we were packing, D realized that the Lego he had bought the night before was missing. We tried hard to remember when we had seen it last, and came to the conclusion that he had been carrying the bag when we entered the hotel the night before, but not when we were walking down the hall to our room. That meant he must have left it in the gift shop.

My mother went down to reception and settled our bill, then went to the shop, but it wasn't open and there was no sign indicating opening hours, so we kept packing and went down to breakfast at 8:30. As we had generally had breakfast right after they opened, we had generally walked straight in. What a difference an hour makes! There was a long line, winding out of the restaurant reception area. Luckily, it was moving fairly fast. For the first time, I noticed that there was a seating area between the two restaurants with a dead-on view of the park and the castle. And then luck struck again, because just as we got to the front of the line, they decided to open that area for breakfast, and we were able to take the table by the window with the best view. We were told that we were free to choose which restaurant to serve ourselves from. The lines looked shorter at the California Grill, so we went there. The pancakes were looking more appetizing today, so I tried them this time, and yes, they were much more tasty, and not dry at all. Considering the wonderful view, we decided not to rush our breakfast.

After breakfast, my mother and D went back to the gift shop, which had now opened. At first they said they didn't know what she was talking about, and to go to reception. Then a man said that he had been working there the previous night, and he had put the bag behind the counter. What a wonderful end to the story!

We finished packing around 10 am. Then we called down, told the baggage people how many pieces of luggage we wanted to have stored, and left. This is a great service. You don't even need to be in the room when they come to collect the luggage. All you need to do is tell them what time you're leaving the resort, and arrive 15 minutes before to collect your bags.

We decided to split up when we got into the park. D and I went on Space Mountain. It was listed as a 10 minute wait, but it took only 3 minutes from entry til we were off on our journey. I was more relaxed about it this time, and it was a good start. We had agreed that my mother and the others would meet us outside Buzz afterwards (they were going on Dumbo). They took an awfully long time getting there, so D and I decided to ride Buzz. The others had arrived by the time we got out, so we took E with us, and went on Buzz again. D had hoped to ride on his own – they had let him do that the other day, when he told them he was 10, but today's CM said that there is a height requirement for riding alone, and he didn't meet it. There isn't any such information about this anywhere, including the website, so they really need to put up the info. Next we went for a last ride on Star Tours. The CM who took us into our shuttle was really good, and used the force to shut the doors.

After this, it was time to introduce E to Big Thunder Mountain. She had loved Crush's Coaster, so I knew it would be a piece of cake for her. We used our hotel FPs, and got on fairly quickly. E and I sat together, D was in front of us. BTM looks fairly intimidating, but E soon learned that it wasn't – it was just right for her.

Next we headed to Adventureland, for one last go on Pirates of the Caribbean for E and I. The others waited outside, and we then headed to Skull Rock and explored some of the caves, which the kids loved.

We went to Plaza Gardens for our last meal at 13:00, which had also been our last meal in 2010. The lady at the desk kept asking if I really wanted to us the HB vouchers, and I confirmed that yes, and that I was leaving soon anyway. At the desk you tell them what you want to eat and drink. The lady told me that we would have unlimited drinks because of the pricy vouchers. Food was good, as I remembered. There was a good salad bar – actually the first salad bar I had seen on my trip. The food at the hot stations was not identical, so it's important to check them both. There was more kids food in the station on the right, as well as pasta and a selection of sauces. As at Inventions, there is ice cream available for dessert. There is even a sign for it at the dessert station on the right, so make sure to ask. The meal was good, and I was pleased, although I was mostly underwhelmed by the desserts. I finally found a chocolate mousse cake I enjoyed. It was really dense, so I wanted some tea, and I asked my waitress if it was possible. She smiled, and brought me some, and cookies for the children. I learned later, though, that I really should have asked for the tea (and coffee that my mother eventually wanted) when paying for the meal, so I'll need to remember that next time. As we had overpaid significantly, I wasn't too worried, but I don't think my waitress was aware of that. She was very nice, and definitely overworked.

It was around 2 pm now. Luckily we has planned our time well, except in one respect. I was planning on using the hotel FPs for me and E to go on BTM, but I had forgotten about the restriction on use. So after the meal we ran over to BTM and the FP times weren't bad. I got FPs for myself, D and E for 15:15-15:50. We had to be back at the hotel by 15:45, so I figured 15:15 would be just right.

We then went back to Buzz for one last time, and decided to visit the Nautilus, which we had almost forgotten. The children loved it, and were scared by the huge octopus. Then we went to see the Dragon one last time. By now, E had fallen in love with it, and was calling it her friend.

Time was getting tight, and we made it to BTM by 15:20. The FP line was calling people by their time slot, so we were stopped, and the lady shouted "15:20 people, please", then stopped the rest of the line. I went up to her, smiled and said "Quinze, quinze?" and she smiled back and let us through. The line didn't look that short. Would we have time to actually do the ride? Luckily it moved quickly, and we were able to do BTM. What a perfect ending to our visit.

Of course, being an organized lady, there was one final plan. We went to the Cable Car Bakehouse and used our PG vouchers to pick up muffins for the flight home, and drinks that went into our suitcases.

We went back to the hotel, and met up with my mother and P, who had fallen asleep when they left us after lunch. It was getting close to 16:00, but 'unfortunately' our driver was on time, and we didn't get to see the Descent of the Stairs. We had the same driver as on the way to the resort, and had a good talk with him on the way to the airport. There had been lots of traffic on his way to pick us up, so he drove us through lots of little villages. It was a smooth trip, and soon we were back at terminal 2G, where everything went smoothly. The children were clearly full after our big lunch, and we didn't end up eating the muffins for another couple of days!

Wifi at the pink palace worked really well, although I did have to log on again after a couple of days. The hotel's location is excellent – at least after you figure out how not to spend 5 minutes and 2 lifts getting to your room. I think I time the walk from the castle to the main entrance at 7 minutes. I recommend it if travelling with a young child or someone disabled. Next time I visit, I will probably stay at one of the other hotels. The standard just doesn’t justify the price. And it really didn't feel extra magical to me.

I really need to write to Disney about height restrictions not being advertised, and inconsistently practiced.

And, finally, thanks for reading my report!

Sounds like a lovely trip :thumbsup2 It makes me wonder how I will get everything done in our short (2 nights) very busy half term visit :scared1: I think we'll need to prioritise :rotfl:

Hi C3P0. Really enjoyed reading your TR. I can relate to you not finding the side entrance immediately - we stayed in DLH on our first trip and I didn't find it for a couple of days - I didn't even find Disney Village or the Studios Park for 2 days. :confused3

I was of course better prepared on our second trip.

Thanks for sharing :thumbsup2

Sounds like you had a really good trip :thumbsup2 You manged to fit loads in and enjoy the use of the meal vouchers. Thanks for posting :goodvibes

Great TR. You got to see so much! Thanks for sharing and for the tip about entering the hotel from the exit side :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter