Do any UK DVC Owners rent out points?

wilma-bride

<<This space intentionally blank>>
I have been checking the rent/trade boards and here and it seems that the UK DISers don't rent out their points. Is that because it's too expensive or just that the UK owners don't tend to have the spare points to rent out?

Just being nosey, sorry (well, not just being nosey but looking to possibly rent some points and thought it might be easier to do it through a UK DISer) :blush:

I've never had any trouble using all my points myself - and I've done 5 add-ons as my need has grown ;)

On one occasion when I wanted some extra points for a friend, I posted here and a kind (and frequent) Dis-er helped me out.

I would say if you are interested in renting, work out what you need, and post a request. It won't be me responding though - I'm in borrowed mode this year, meaning I'm using next year's points already :teeth: You've been around for a quite a while and are 'well-known' so I would think someone with spare points would come forward with a PM or a response.

Good luck if you decide to go for it :)

Pootle said:
I've never had any trouble using all my points myself - and I've done 5 add-ons as my need has grown ;)

On one occasion when I wanted some extra points for a friend, I posted here and a kind (and frequent) Dis-er helped me out.

I would say if you are interested in renting, work out what you need, and post a request. It won't be me responding though - I'm in borrowed mode this year, meaning I'm using next year's points already :teeth: You've been around for a quite a while and are 'well-known' so I would think someone with spare points would come forward with a PM or a response.

Good luck if you decide to go for it :)

Thanks Moira

Not sure about the 'well known' bit - was that a compliment :rotfl:

I have just been thinking it might be nice to experience DVC, as we are still very undecided and had been looking to stay on-site for a couple of days this year so though we could kill the proverbial two birds.

I have only been a member for a year and even though I bought a resale contract with banked points I am still using them all myself. I think because people from Europe take longer vacations they tend to use up all their points. Our trips are more planned - we have to book flights so far in advance that we usually have our DVC trips planned out a year or two in ahead.

This year in the summer we have 8 nights in a 2 bed at OKW plus 4 nights in a 1 bed at Vero and at Christmas another 6 nights at OKW in a 1 Bed which is using 625 points this year (half of which were banked from last year)

There are UK members who rent but not that many

I think it's probably down to a few factors:

1. Firstly, there are fewer UK owners than US owners so, if maybe 10% (a completely random figure from the top of my head!) of DVCers rent their points, the actual number of UK renters is going to be faw fewer than US renters.

2. There are many more US DISers than UK DISers so, again, the numbers are skewed towards more posts from the US.

3. If someone wants to rent out their points it's an added complication to do it across currencies. For a UK DVCer it would be a much simpler transaction to rent to someone else in the UK, but the potential for doing that via the DIS isn't huge because of the first two factors! Whereas I would be happy to rent to someone in the UK (if I had any spare points ;) ), I'd be less keen to get tied up with exchange rates and different legal systems in the US, should anything go wrong.

4. I get the impression that owning and then renting out DVC points as a business proposition is more common in the US than the UK - only an impression, not based on any hard facts!

Not sure about the 'well known' bit - was that a compliment
Not my place to answer, but I'm sure it was! ;) :teeth:

I don't plan to make a habit of renting out my points but I am sure there will be occassions where I might have points that I can't use and will look to rent them out.

I'm brand new to DVC's having just completed my OKW contract and I've got 10 points in there which have to be used by September 2006 - we won't get back to Orlando until June 2007 - and I've been surfing around on here trying to figure out what to do and how to go about renting out those points and trying to figure out how transfers work :confused3

Anyway if the points are any good to you Wilma Bride just let me know and we can sort something out.

Stuart D said:
I don't plan to make a habit of renting out my points but I am sure there will be occassions where I might have points that I can't use and will look to rent them out.

I'm brand new to DVC's having just completed my OKW contract and I've got 10 points in there which have to be used by September 2006 - we won't get back to Orlando until June 2007 - and I've been surfing around on here trying to figure out what to do and how to go about renting out those points and trying to figure out how transfers work :confused3

Anyway if the points are any good to you Wilma Bride just let me know and we can sort something out.

Thanks for the offer Stuart but we aren't going until October 2006 so wouldn't be able to use them. It might be worth you putting up a separate post here though, asking if any UK DISers could make use of them. As far as I understand it, they can either be rented or transferred.

KayleeUK said:
I don't have enough points for me LOL!!!!

me neither :teeth:

We need more points, Kaylee :teeth:

Alan, Jon??? You listening???

wilma-bride said:
Thanks for the offer Stuart but we aren't going until October 2006 so wouldn't be able to use them. It might be worth you putting up a separate post here though, asking if any UK DISers could make use of them. As far as I understand it, they can either be rented or transferred.

Thanks Wilma.

Yeah I will do I reckon. What's thrown me a bit was being told by Jaki at A Timeshare that the points can't be transfered because they were already banked last year? I don't really understand that and I've been waiting on confirmation from MS for over a day now. :confused3

Have you looked on the DVC renters board? I know that many US DVC members rent out to people in the UK.

We hope not to rent out our points as we bought them for holidays. We have used our points at Disneyland Paris and an exchange to Devon. We are taking our friends with us this year and next year we hope to do a disney cruise on points.

You can stay at the DVC resorts by booking direct but this can't be booked a long time in advance.

Good luck.

Susan

mark&sue said:
You can stay at the DVC resorts by booking direct but this can't be booked a long time in advance.

Susan

Hi Sue

Do you mean, you can pay cash to stay there? How does that work - and do you know how far in advance you can book?

Thanks
Joh

wilma-bride said:
Hi Sue

Do you mean, you can pay cash to stay there? How does that work - and do you know how far in advance you can book?

Thanks
Joh

Hi Joh,

You can pay cash to stay at DVC resorts through CRO if there is availability - a certain amount of rooms / space is kept aside for "paying" guests. I have to say though, it really isn't cheap!

Far more reasonable to rent points and use them to stay :)

Personally, I wouldn't rent out any points - I just couldn't be bothered with the hassle. We let family/friends have any they want and any left over (unlikely) we'd just stay in London for the night or something similar. But to be fair, it's never got that far as we only have 270!

We bought ours with the intention of the whole family being able to use it and two of our children have used points for DLP and WDW. It's nice to be able to treat them to a holiday they wouldn't otherwise be able to manage.

HI Wilma Bride, renting DVC points is very easy.
I recently advertised for points to stay at BWV for our May trip, I put posts on here and on the American DVC forum, I had several reply's (all from the American forum) one from a lady who had checked out our preferred villa type & dates and had already held them for us, She charged $10 per point and was happy to accept paypal.
We paid half when she confirmed the booking and the other half when we received written confirmation from Disney, this is all in our name, she also gave us the confirmation number and the DVC number to call to check on the booking.
This has been much easier than I thought it would be although it does require a certain amount of trust between the parties involved.
Hope this helps! :Pinkbounc

You know I've only just seen this forum!! I didn't realise we had a UK dvc thread.
We rented out our points for this year and also next years over on the US thread to fund our hotel stays during our wedding. We are staying for 5 weeks at the GF, CR and AKL paid for by our dvc points, we wouldn't of been able to afford those hotels otherwise.

We rented out our points last year through this forum when we had to cancel our trip due to DW becoming pregnant.

We returned from our (rescheduled) first trip yesterday.

Our stay at OKW was a mixture of cash and points - we found it cheaper to book Fri & Sat nights on a cash basis (with DVC owner discount) than to rent points. We booked this at the 11-month window.

There is some obscure rule that you can't transfer points which have been banked previously or something - I offered some spare points for free to anyone who could use them only to find that I couldn't transfer them. See this thread http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=937329

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter